GNG / CYC X1 Pro 3000w

Anyone having problems pushing more than ~50A (battery) to their CYC? I have a first gen and running it sensorless with a castle creations talon 120 and a cycle analyst. This setup, using pass-thru throttle is damn near perfect and would easily replace my dead Tangent drive - if it was just able to push a little more current.

When I load it too much it feels like the motor throws itself in reverse and then forwards again, really fast. The whole bike shakes and sometimes my BMS trips. It only happens when load is higher than say 40-50A. There is no chain or gear slippage, I have a straight chain line, not running small cogs on the casette and all new parts (and I know what chain slip feels like). I just recently switched my sprag clutch to the one used in recent versions but that didn't do anything. I tried gearing it down to get the rpms even higher but that didn't help either. I can't see any signs of slippage in the gearbox itself, everything is like new in there. Motor temp is cool, 25-30 C at most on the outside.

I'm beginning to think I've got a dud motor, weak isolation of the windings or something. Never experienced this behaviour before. Or maybe this motor just isn't fit to run high amps. Or the controller is broken in some weird way. Any ideas?

For anyone interested in my random powering on it's own issue:

https://vimeo.com/493674328

This is after a full settings reset and disconnecting and reconnecting of all the connectors as advised by CYC....

it just runs on it's own and sometimes the display fails to respond and randomly turns on the headlight attached icon on the screen.

I have just tried it without the torque sensor connected and I no longer have the running on it's own issue. Seems the torque sensor has some damage. Now the question is...can that cause the display to stop functioning correctly with the non responsive button presses and random headlight icon displaying...

knurf said:
Anyone having problems pushing more than ~50A (battery) to their CYC? I have a first gen and running it sensorless with a castle creations talon 120 and a cycle analyst. This setup, using pass-thru throttle is damn near perfect and would easily replace my dead Tangent drive - if it was just able to push a little more current.

When I load it too much it feels like the motor throws itself in reverse and then forwards again, really fast. The whole bike shakes and sometimes my BMS trips. It only happens when load is higher than say 40-50A. There is no chain or gear slippage, I have a straight chain line, not running small cogs on the casette and all new parts (and I know what chain slip feels like). I just recently switched my sprag clutch to the one used in recent versions but that didn't do anything. I tried gearing it down to get the rpms even higher but that didn't help either. I can't see any signs of slippage in the gearbox itself, everything is like new in there. Motor temp is cool, 25-30 C at most on the outside.

I'm beginning to think I've got a dud motor, weak isolation of the windings or something. Never experienced this behaviour before. Or maybe this motor just isn't fit to run high amps. Or the controller is broken in some weird way. Any ideas?

I had the exact issue, a motor magnet was cracked. Ask cyc for a replacement motor core. Also if the inside of the motor surface is uneven, it might crack your new magnets too, so sand any uneven-ness down.

When I load it too much it feels like the motor throws itself in reverse and then forwards again, really fast.
I had the exact issue, a motor magnet was cracked. Ask cyc for a replacement motor core. Also if the inside of the motor surface is uneven, it might crack your new magnets too, so sand any uneven-ness down.
Damn that's the best news I've had for a while, thanks! Gonna pick it apart and have a look. Never thought about opening the motor itself when I had it open a few days ago :roll:

knurf said:
When I load it too much it feels like the motor throws itself in reverse and then forwards again, really fast.
Damn that's the best news I've had for a while, thanks! Gonna pick it apart and have a look. Never thought about opening the motor itself when I had it open a few days ago :roll:
I got around to opening the motor and can't see any traces of cracks or damage to the rotor at all, so its probably not that. I can't figure this out - I can spin it nicely and evenly up to max rpm from 0 with no or even pretty ok load (2kw), but when I put too much on it, it fails. Guess I'll have to accept it to be controller incompatibility at this point. Maybe should give the Phaserunner another try instead.

It can be heard at 18 sec (and a shorter one at 26 sec) in this short clip:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv57rv0724jur4m/IMG_1964.mov?dl=0

It's SO annoying as the gearbox and motor seem to be able to handle much more load than this. I can barely get this thing warm.

knurf said:
knurf said:
I got around to opening the motor and can't see any traces of cracks or damage to the rotor at all, so its probably not that. I can't figure this out - I can spin it nicely and evenly up to max rpm from 0 with no or even pretty ok load (2kw), but when I put too much on it, it fails. Guess I'll have to accept it to be controller incompatibility at this point. Maybe should give the Phaserunner another try instead.

It can be heard at 18 sec (and a shorter one at 26 sec) in this short clip:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cv57rv0724jur4m/IMG_1964.mov?dl=0

It's SO annoying as the gearbox and motor seem to be able to handle much more load than this. I can barely get this thing warm.

The one I've seen and had, the judder happens when giving torque at 0 to very low rpm. It might be incompatibility, have your tried stock controller (though my stock gen1 controller struggled to pull more than 35-40a).

I haven't been following this thread. Has anyone posted good settings for the CYC X1 pro with the ASI BAC855 controller?

n2mb said:
I haven't been following this thread. Has anyone posted good settings for the CYC X1 pro with the ASI BAC855 controller?
You don't now how to read?

DtiK said:
ebike11 said:
DtiK said:
ebike11 said:
Hi guys
Is anyone using this PAS with cycle analyst?
How close do the crankarms have to be in order for the PAS to start engaging?? Thx

very close but angle is more important. It's very exact angle.

hi
may i ask how close? how about in your case?
thanks

Almost touching. Under 1mm. Put it more away and not working.

Are using the PAS? Is it working ok once you get the PAS sensor set up? Thanks

arka said:
joshuahuang said:
arka said:
arka said:
A request to people who have had CYC Motor for a long time or have more experience. Could you share your CODE SETTINGS by adding them to this thread? The next people could add something from themselves and together we will create better settings. I know we have different drives and different batteries, so it's good to add this to the thread.

People who, like me, are just beginning their adventure with this drive should write what parameters they are looking for.

I'll start with myself. I've had GEN 2 for a few days now. My bike is downhill Mondraker Summum 27.5' whell. I have a 52V 17.5Ah Sanyo GA 840Wh 14S5P battery. The rear gear is dedicated for electricians Sram EX1 / 11-48s, in front I had 11/63T with a 38T sprocket but I changed the sprocket to custom 34T.
My driving style is aggressive in the mountains or in the forest. I am looking for two settings:

MODE 1. driving with maximum power at maximum speeds, mainly on the thumb trottle.
MODE 2: As close as possible to the serial ebike with a Torque Sensor like Bosch. Where speed is not limited. But 100% of the ride is on the Torque Sensor, derailleur gears are often flipped. I need this MODE to ride with people in the mountains who ride a serial ebike.

how many watt hrs of cells can you fit in the mondraker frame? or do you use a backpack battery?

70 or 140 if you put them in 2 rows.

nice. I have a mondraker dune as my regular pedal mtb without a motor. Can you fit 70/140 with the piggyback shock? 840wh is just enough for a cyc gen 2 imo. i have 1kwh on my giant reign and get around 23 miles if i go balls to the wall. I can probably do 38 miles if i go conservative

Ham said:
I have just tried it without the torque sensor connected and I no longer have the running on it's own issue. Seems the torque sensor has some damage. Now the question is...can that cause the display to stop functioning correctly with the non responsive button presses and random headlight icon displaying...

Could you already find out which sensor it is exactly?

An update

The CYC team have without question been the most responsive and helpful customer service I have ever dealt with.

They didn’t question me for proof of the error and sent me a new bottom bracket and torque sensor under warranty from HK to UK IN FOUR DAYS! So impressed I ordered more spare parts and a new chain and that was also HK to UK in just four days.

The bike is back up and running with new 11 63 gearing rather than 11 53 and feels great.

So impressed with them as a team.

Ham said:
An update

The CYC team have without question been the most responsive and helpful customer service I have ever dealt with.

They didn’t question me for proof of the error and sent me a new bottom bracket and torque sensor under warranty from HK to UK IN FOUR DAYS! So impressed I ordered more spare parts and a new chain and that was also HK to UK in just four days.

The bike is back up and running with new 11 63 gearing rather than 11 53 and feels great.

So impressed with them as a team.
I have to agree, they are a level above everyone else especially from China. A level of service that is not that far from Tangent-Dave actually.

knurf said:
I have to agree, they are a level above everyone else especially from China. A level of service that is not that far from Tangent-Dave actually.

They are smart enough to understand in a market as small as this they can't afford to make enemies. Rather take a loss on something for possibility of making a repeat customer.

Tommm said:
knurf said:

They are smart enough to understand in a market as small as this they can't afford to make enemies. Rather take a loss on something for possibility of making a repeat customer.
You hit the nail on the head.

Ham said:
Whatever the reason I am very grateful for their set up
The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
You should give yourself a pat on the back. :thumb:

Tommm said:
knurf said:

That philosophy goes against the mainstream Chinese business culture so much!

Example of an exception that proves the rule.

john61ct said:
Tommm said:
knurf said:

That philosophy goes against the mainstream Chinese business culture so much!

Example of an exception that proves the rule.

It is because cyc is from HK.

Does anyone know the correct type of grease to be using in the gearbox as I’d like to strip mine and clean it?

I was thinking normal vehicle CV grease could work but perhaps not...

CYC Motor has updated their website with info on the new X1 Stealth motor and X-Series batteries
https://www.cycmotor.com/

X1 STEALTH
COMING SOON
1,5kW power; 150 N.m. rated torque; 36V - 72V compatible; Torque-sensing

​X-SERIES BATTERIES
36V & 52V Available; 8Ah capacity; 4Ah fast charge

I plan on combining the X1 Stealth with a Rohloff, once the Stealth is available

ebike11 said:
DtiK said:
ebike11 said:
DtiK said:
very close but angle is more important. It's very exact angle.

hi
may i ask how close? how about in your case?
thanks

Almost touching. Under 1mm. Put it more away and not working.

Are using the PAS? Is it working ok once you get the PAS sensor set up? Thanks

works like a charm. :thumb: I drive mostly using PAS only.

Back