Cyclone 1000w Cruiser

1000w

1 kW
Ok this is my second bike build using my Cyclone brushless 1000w.
The first was powered with 4 x 20Ah SLA's. Seen here;
IMG_5212.jpg

For this build I'm using the frame from the two stroke powered bike below;
twostrokeMG1.jpg

Here are some early mockup photos, showing the location of the motor, 48V 20Ah Headway battery, and the controller:
evcruiser1.jpg

evcruiser2.jpg

evcruiser3.jpg

evcruiser4.jpg

Cheers, more to come,
Matt.

Nice work man!

I totally dig the shocks on the old skool banana seat! :D

Thanks Christobel931, the shockie banana seat worked quite well.
I made and fitted a battery tray today, using equal angle and square tube.
battray1.jpg

battray2.jpg

battray3.jpg

battray4.jpg

battray5.jpg

battray6.jpg

Cheers,
Matt.

Holy sweet mary mother of ol might jevus thats a big battery... that thing is going to haul arshe!

Here are some photos of the rear pulley drive I fabricated using a standard 10" V belt pulley and a offset rear sprocket.
The plan is to use a GT toothed belt with this flat pulley.
Toothed pulleys this large are not available "of the shelf" and on the advice of recumpence (Matt) there should be enough belt contact for a flat pulley to work.
pulley.jpg

pulley1.jpg

pulley2.jpg

pulley3.jpg

pulley4.jpg

pulley5.jpg

pulley6.jpg

Cheers,
Matt.

A small update. The motor is now mounted and allined with the rear pulley.
evcruiser5.jpg

Puchased this belt tensioner and installed a skate board wheel.
evcruiser6.jpg

This is probably where the tensioner will be mounted.
evcruiser7.jpg

Cheers,
Matt.

Very very nice Build ! :wink:

I made some timber battery/motor covers out of 3mm ply wood today.

cruiser10.jpg
cruiser11.jpg
cruiser12.jpg
cruiser13.jpg

The open front will allow air cooling for the motor and the controller which will sit on top of the battery.
These covers will be clear coated probably with a satin finish.
Cheers,
Matt.

Hi Gow,
I built the frame using some old bikes and some tube that I bent up.
I got the inspiration for the frame from here, http://www.firebikes.com
There are some build photos here, http://motorbicycling.com/f26/two-stroke-cruiser-2916.html
Glad you like it.
Cheers,
Matt.

Had some progress recently.
I have taken it for two small test runs and I like it alot, especially the LiFePO4 battery.
I have got a fair bit of belt slip on the rear smooth pulley. I am using a 9mm belt for testing as the 15mm is out of stock. The 15mm may just give it enough grip.
The bike does work though, I just have to roll on the throttle slowly. I have easily done 60kmh today, so it feels good.
The wood panels are not finished yet, they will have an oil finish, so a little darker than now and they are not all bolted down properly yet.
The frame has to go for powder coating, not sure what colour to go with.
Here are some photos.
evcruiser12.jpg

evcruiser13.jpg

evcruiser14.jpg

evcruiser15.jpg

Cheers,
Matt.

hi cyclone 1000,

I am waiting for very long time, finally your beauty came out. thank YOU for posting ! :D :D :D

Hi Matt;

Great looking build! Years ago I had to use a small pitch cogg belt that there was not a stock pulley available, I turned a blank to the right size for the correct belt/tooth capture, put a release agent on a belt covered the belt and pully with epoxy, rapped it around the blank, rubber banded it, let it cure, pealed off the belt, cleaned up drips/runs, worked fine.

The epoxy that I used was the same as what the reflectors are held down with on the freeways. If it is still available, it has good grip/bond, also not as hard as to chip very easy.

jeb

NICE!!!! :shock:

What kind of geared hub you have there? And how you manage to synchronize that custom shifter with the clicks of the hub?

Also, what is your top speed?

Really nice bike! I love it!

Hey JEB, thanks heaps for the great idea using epoxy. I have ordered a belt to do the molding and I have some epoxy ready to go. You are a champ.
Kaño said:
NICE!!!! :shock:

What kind of geared hub you have there? And how you manage to synchronize that custom shifter with the clicks of the hub?

Also, what is your top speed?

Really nice bike! I love it!
The hub and shifter are Sturmey Archer, they come together as a kit. See here. http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/770/Wide-Hub---3-Speed-Disc-SLVR/
Thanks for the positive feedback.
Cheers,
Matt.

I tried JEB's idea of using epoxy to create some teeth on my rear pulley.
The results are looking very promising, thanks again JEB.
pulley7.jpg

pulley8.jpg

pulley9.jpg

pulley10.jpg

pulley11.jpg

I have reasembled the bike tonight and had a very small test run, small due to rain, and the belt seems to run very smoothly with no slip.
Cheers,
Matt.

That is awesome!

The only difficulty I can see in doing this with the epoxy is getting the pulley diameter just perfect. If it is not perfect, the teeth will not line up at the joining point and the mesh will be off. So, assuming the pulley diameter is perfect, this is a fantastic method!

Matt

Thats right Matt, the diameter being right was my biggest concern. To my amazement, this pulley was spot on when I wrapped the belt around, so I didn't have to revisit the lathe.
Matt the 9mm wide belt you suggested seems to work fine, however I think I will get the 15mm one when it is in stock.
The 15mm pulleys look a bit empty with a 9mm belt running on them.
Thanks for your help with this belt set up Matt.
Cheers,
Matt.

Well, I am glad to help. But, you did have some belt slip. So my advice was not spot on for you. Part of it is belt width and part is tension. But, with the tooth idea, you are good to go! :D

Matt

Here are some photos of the bike ready for test rides, when it stops raining.
The frame needs to be stripped and powder coated, colour I am not sure, maybe red.
The wood panels are going to be a black carbon fiber finish.
evcruiser16.jpg

evcruiser17.jpg

Cheers,
Matt.

I just got back from a 26km test ride. I am breaking the battery in at the moment, so not going too far, I used 9Ah.
Couldn't be happier, the bike is super quiet, has loads of pickup, and cruises nicely between 35 to 40kmh.
I am sold on LiFePo4 and belt drive.
Cheers,
Matt.

Thats pure pimp. Better make sure you avoid wearing 'colours' and be seen 'associating with members of a bikie gang' or the stupid feds will probably classify you as one of them and throw you in jail.. :mrgreen:

(An inside joke for Australians)

Back