Batteries.....

Shedster

1 mW
Hi, I've searched the forum but can't find the info, so apologies for another dumb-ass question....

I need to buy a 48v 13ah (or higher) battery for a BBS02. Do I go Hailong or X-Go (and if so which is better) off ebay, or is there a better alternative? (I'm in the UK btw)

I keep the bike in my house, am I right in thinking it's best to charge the battery outside (fire precautions), but it's safe to keep it on the bike once it's charged, or should I keep it outside and only fit it when I want to go for a ride?

Thanks for the help for a newbie. ;)

Shedster said:
I need to buy a 48v 13ah (or higher) battery for a BBS02. Do I go Hailong or X-Go (and if so which is better) off ebay, or is there a better alternative? (I'm in the UK btw)
AFAIK, "hailong" is not a battery type, it's just a case style. Never heard of X-Go, so dunno if that's a brand/manufacturer or a case style. If you are looking for a recommendation about specific items you've looked at, you'll have to link directly to the specific sales pages for the specific items in question.

What I recommend is to go with a battery from a known quality vendor (sorry I don't have any recommendations on that), that supports their batteries, and preferably one local to you so you don't get stuck trying to deal with hazmat shipping if something goes wrong and it needs repair. (in some cases, you won't be *able* to ship it at all!).

Use a battery case style that suits your uses for the bike, so it fits the mounting place you would use, and has whatever level of weather resistance you require.

I keep the bike in my house, am I right in thinking it's best to charge the battery outside (fire precautions), but it's safe to keep it on the bike once it's charged, or should I keep it outside and only fit it when I want to go for a ride?
Batteries hold a lot of energy. There are no completely safe batteries, of any kind. So the best you can do is minimize the risk by using quality batteries (both good cells and good build methods and materials) that are actually capable of the demands (current, temperature, vibration, etc) you'll be placing on them, and charge and store them only where nothing will be hurt when something goes wrong.

Myself, I trust the batteries I use completely...when they're outside, away from the house and trees. :p

But I do park my trike (battery is built into it) inside the breakroom at work, so in the highly unlikely event something ever went wrong there, it's highly likely there'd be severe building damage, but given it's location, no loss of life as there are no exits or exit paths from any rooms or the building itself that could possibly be blocked by such a fire, and no animal habitats anywhere near it, and there would be LOTS of obvious loud warning with the building's fire/smoke detection system.

When I had to park my bikes (and later my trike) inside the apartment and house, I used old steel 50cal ammocases for battery containment, attached to the bike or inside metal cargo pods (additional protection layer), with a vent system to allow hot gases out without exploding the canister, or letting oxygen back into it to fan the flames, in the event of a catastrophic failure.

I also don't like to keep other battery-powered devices (including phones, laptops, tablets, etc) inside the house, but there are practical limits to keeping everything outside. :lol: So those stay inside, and I just have to hope that the smoke alarms going off will drive the dogs outside thru their big doggie door they always have access to, as I have trained them to do whenver they hear the beeping. It took me a few years after a housefire (unrelated to ebikes or batteries, etc) killed the dogs I had at the time for me to get to this point of acceptance, however....

Typically, there is no need for such paranoiac measures, so what you choose to do depends on your personal level of confidence in your ebike equipment (chargers, batteries, wiring), and your preparedness in the event of a fire for getting out (stopping the fire probably isn't going to happen easily).

Thanks for that, I think at the very least I need to charge my batteries outside, and you've given lots of good general advice as well.

I'm struggling to find anyone in the UK who I can trust to get batteries from, everybody seems to either build their own or just use the Chinese ebay ones. I have one of them already on the cheap road-going hub bike I built for a friend, that seems to work fine, I was just wondering if there was a better option for my MTB I'm putting together next.

Cheers for the reply, much appreciated. :)

I think at the very least I need to charge my batteries outside,

Keep in mind, though, that the easiest way to cause a battery fire, other than by shorting cells, is to charge it when it is in sub-freezing temps inside the case. Don't charge ice cold lithium batteries unless they are part of a car's pack.

The better quality of the battery and the last worry about fire. Quality the quality of the cells they put inside. At some cells cost $2 $4 six dollars and $8 each. So 70 -90 or more cells cost per cell times .So of to cheap junk cells junk components inside.
How about em3ev Ping and Grin as ebikeca.com.

Re fire possibility, it was overcharging due to some kind of defect in either charger or bms that caused my garage fire.

I can't recall a specific fire that happened after a battery was charged. Many that happened while on charge, or from crash or other damage. But having a battery just go off sitting there is quite rare.

So yeah, the main thing is charge it outside.

dogman dan said:
I can't recall a specific fire that happened after a battery was charged. Many that happened while on charge, or from crash or other damage. But having a battery just go off sitting there is quite rare.
I can't recall an 18650 fire like that, but John in CR had an RC Lipo pack (hardcase turnigy?) do so, just sitting on a table or desk not connected to anything.

There was another mentioned some weeks or months ago but I can't recall by whom, and cant' find it in a 30second search.

Back