E bike hub motors controller and tester.

Trikey

1 µW
I have a couple e bikes and now trying to get another working. My chinese controller and motor tester only has the flashing lights when the wheels are turned in reverse and controllers do not operate the wheels unless the white wires (learning wires) are connected, but the throttle makes no difference and wheel will not turn when white wires disconnected. I have three motors (brand new) and a heap of brand new controllers. Nothing works as they should. I have both 36 and 48 volt hardware. I have 5 volts to throttle on all controllers.

Trikey said:
My chinese controller and motor tester only has the flashing lights when the wheels are turned in reverse
If they are geared hubs, this is normal, because the one-way clutch in there prevents you from manually spinning hte motor by hand-spinning the wheel unless you do it in reverse.

and controllers do not operate the wheels unless the white wires (learning wires) are connected, but the throttle makes no difference and wheel will not turn when white wires disconnected. I have three motors (brand new) and a heap of brand new controllers. Nothing works as they should.
Can you hear the motors run under throttle, but not see the wheel turn? If so, it means they are geared motors, and the controller is spinning the motors in reverse.

If there is no motor sound under throttle, you may have controllers that require a signal from a PAS sensor before they respond to throttle (pedal-first), or even *only* operate from PAS sensor and do not respond to throttle (PAS-only).

Specific information about which controllers and motors you have, and any other parts you are using with the systems, and if they are kits, a list of all parts that came with each kit, may help us help you. If they were online purchases, links to the pages they were bought from may also help.

Asides from what AW said, the phase and Hall wire colors don't always match up.
I've never used a machine to figure this out and when one looks at the # of combo.s, it looks intiminating. But it's not too bad.
Assuming you have your 5V on the Hall power wires, you are only dealing w/ the yellow, Blue and Green wires.
Try different color matching, drawing diagrams as you go, Keep the phase and Hall colors matched. Going thru all the combo.s doesn't take very long.
Of course, you will need individual connectors, but I always ditch the silly wht. nylon ones and make my own. Wire nuts can be used as temp. connectors for trials.

Assuming the OP is correct that the white wire pair being connected is self-learn, it shoudlnt' matter what order the phase and hall wires are in, as the SL feature should fix it up. ;)

markz said:
Do you have an ignition wire that needs to be hooked up before anything will happen.

Can't be that, if the self-learn works. ;)

I've never had that much luck w/ "self-learning" controllers. Maybe my Karma requires doing it the hard way.

They don't always work for me, either...but I usually get *some* response from the motor when applying throttle after using the SL function, even if it isn't what's needed. No response at all likely indicates some other problem, based on my small experience with such controllers (most of the ones I've used have to be figured out the hard way).

Well, just a guess, but my troubleshooting experience has been that 90% of the time its a wire, or a connector on a wire that is the problem.

After EBK eliminated the shitty scooter type plugs the problems diminished greatly, but defects in the improved wire harness remained a problem. So many of the fixes were to simply replace the motor to controller wire set, or if the display was dark, that wire set.

Several years ago I bought a couple of used Q100 geared motors. I then picked up a couple of generic controllers from EBay. The motors would not work with the controllers and I had a similar experience that they would spin with the self learn wires hooked up.
My memory is foggy but it seems that the problem was that the controllers could not keep up with the higher speed of the geared motors. I’m sure someone here could explain that better than I can.
I bought sine wave controllers from BMSBattery.com and everything worked flawlessly.

Back