E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

litespeed said:
Rix said:
litespeed said:
Cool video but his laughing is a bit annoying.

Bomber is a great bike. Wish the price would comedown so they don’t go extinct.

Tom

Yah Tom the Bomber is a great bike. Its went through many renditions between 2008 and 2021. I am certain we will see some improvements on this already great platform in the future. I still have Bomber #143, all but disassembled. I think about putting it up for sale from time to time. Everything still works, the VBoxx with shifter, the swing arm, and frame. Out of all the ebikes I have owned, the Bomber is my favorite. Yah bang for the buck it can't compete with the SurRon at that price point, but the Bomber is still the benchmark every other hi powered bike is measured against. Thats reputation there.

Agreed! Anything else is just a clone......the Bomber was the original bad ass and still on its throne!

Tom

Just realized, you are from "O'Fallon", and I am from "Fallon". What the "O" mean?

Theodore Voltaire said:
Man that new 84v Bomber is a beast. This is the first time I've ever seen anything at all about it outside of this thread.

84v set up with beefed up shunts, now you’re smiling hard. :bolt: :thumb: (don’t forget the Hubsinks and Ferrofluid)

Fastest bomber, no. Most pampered tookus, yes.

20210114-142136.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm still having fun with my Bomber like the first day. Due to the surrounding conditions I no longer have much time to write here but last year I rebuilt my Vboxx and sooner or later I will post some information that I consider useful.
In the winter months as in the last few years I've been using the Bomber to do a heavy but very useful job which is to collect firewood for my fireplace stove made from oaks fallen to the ground by natural causes and in the natural park near home I find some in abundance. It's a very nice workout too!
I also bought the Husqvarna 535i XP cordless chainsaw for which I assembled a 10S3P battery made with Samsung 50E cells of the 21700 type.
Last August 2020 my first Adaptto Max-e controller abandoned me and luckily I was able to buy a used one here on the market to get by during the months I'm waiting for the new Nucular 24F controller which seems to be a real bomb.

20210114_141140-2.jpg
20210114_141157-2.jpg

New Husqy Battery:

20201015_163521.jpg

Don't fit the stock box anymore :lol:
20201015_193244.jpg

20201022_172211.jpg
20201114_144554.jpg

bigbore said:
Hi everyone, I'm still having fun with my Bomber like the first day. Due to the surrounding conditions I no longer have much time to write here but last year I rebuilt my Vboxx and sooner or later I will post some information that I consider useful.
In the winter months as in the last few years I've been using the Bomber to do a heavy but very useful job which is to collect firewood for my fireplace stove made from oaks fallen to the ground by natural causes and in the natural park near home I find some in abundance. It's a very nice workout too!
I also bought the Husqvarna 535i XP cordless chainsaw for which I assembled a 10S3P battery made with Samsung 50E cells of the 21700 type.
Last August 2020 my first Adaptto Max-e controller abandoned me and luckily I was able to buy a used one here on the market to get by during the months I'm waiting for the new Nucular 24F controller which seems to be a real bomb.

20210114_141140-2.jpg
20210114_141157-2.jpg

New Husqy Battery:

20201015_163521.jpg

Don't fit the stock box anymore :lol:
20201015_193244.jpg

20201022_172211.jpg
20201114_144554.jpg

Grande Alesaggio!!! Good to see you are still around. Looks like you are set up nicely for clearing trails. I like that battery for the Husky chainsaw. Sweet!!!

I finally got a solution for my bikes tiny display syndrome. If you can't see these numbers, put your hands up and back away from the bike.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mrchops.android.digihud&hl=en&gl=US

20210125-122725.jpg

Screenshot-2021-01-25-21-20-41.png

Thought I'd query the HIVE MIND on suspension for 2018 Stealth Bomber. Having a tough time finding alternative forks to the DMN USD8s. 26" forks are hard to find, in decent condition, at a decent price. Could I use a 27.5 fork on the 24" wheels? would that just make the geometry stack? Is the Boxxer 27.5 or the FOX 40 27.5 workable? Or should I just stick with the DMNs?

Thanks!!

RoadrashStewy said:
Thought I'd query the HIVE MIND on suspension for 2018 Stealth Bomber. Having a tough time finding alternative forks to the DMN USD8s. 26" forks are hard to find, in decent condition, at a decent price. Could I use a 27.5 fork on the 24" wheels? would that just make the geometry stack? Is the Boxxer 27.5 or the FOX 40 27.5 workable? Or should I just stick with the DMNs?

Thanks!!

I love my Fox 40s. 27.5" is not too tall, but I did drop them down in the trees about 1/2", but I also lowered the rear about 1/2" too. My angle of the dangle does have slightly more rake and trail, but that just feels better to me, especially at higher speeds. I also appreciate that they're silent operating, with no clunks or clanks. They round off a hard hit like nothing I've ever experienced, but have a decently comfortable ride when cruising. They're more on the performance side, than they are for cruising though. They have to be right up there with the best forks in the world. A racer could probably win championships with these forks.

Bomber-4500.jpg

Theodore Voltaire said:
I finally got a solution for my bikes tiny display syndrome. If you can't see these numbers, put your hands up and back away from the bike.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.mrchops.android.digihud&hl=en&gl=US

20210125-122725.jpg

thats uh....quite large. :shock:

Rix said:
Theodore Voltaire said:

20210125-122725.jpg

thats uh....quite large. :shock:

Yeah I went from one extreme to the other for sure. I definitely don't have any trouble seeing this, but with my sunglasses on I had to try a couple different colors. Blue, and purple didn't show through my sunglasses very well, but white was good even in bright sunlight. The DigHUD program is easy to navigate, and response time is fast enough that I couldn't really tell any difference from speedometers I've had on other bikes.

Assuming the GPS is accurate, it was fun to compare it to my CA. I've tried to adjust my CA a couple of times to get it as accurate as I could, but up till now that just meant careful tire measurement, because I didn't have any way to really test it. My CA recorded a max speed of 52.8 vs 51.49 GPS. That's close enough for me. I saw a video of a Onyx speedometer being compared to a GPS, and it was running 5 mph optimistic compared to the GPS.

Theodore Voltaire said:
Fastest bomber, no. Most pampered tookus, yes.

20210114-142136.jpg
Theodore Voltaire said:
Getting old sucks ass hurts eyes don't work

20210125-122725.jpg

Now that I have almost a year experience with these Shimano M8000 brakes, this is my up to date assessment. My initial positive report has changed. I would no longer recommend them for our bikes. Although they have strong stopping power, they fade badly after only one or two hard stops. They work well enough for typical city cruising, but they're not at all up to the task of even slightly fast riding. Even one hard stop on a downhill grade makes them fade badly. They also have a small pad area that wears out quickly. They would be great for a regular bicycle, but not a 100 plus lb 50 mph bike.

Besides this major shortcoming I like everything else about them. I love the easy to adjust levers, and they look good on the bike. The pads are easy to change, and they're easy to bleed. I can probably live with the rear brake, but I'm going to look for a better Shimano front brake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-XT-BL-BR-M8000-M8100-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-Set-Levers-Pair-Front-Rear-OE-/352640316482?var=&hash=item0

Hi everyone new to bikes got p7 six months ago and love it only done 800 ks on it

Attachments

• 218A405A-DF1C-465C-B5B5-D4C4A78F931C.jpeg
    218A405A-DF1C-465C-B5B5-D4C4A78F931C.jpeg
    506 KB · Views: 762
Theodore Voltaire said:
Now that I have almost a year experience with these Shimano M8000 brakes, this is my up to date assessment. My initial positive report has changed. I would no longer recommend them for our bikes. Although they have strong stopping power, they fade badly after only one or two hard stops. They work well enough for typical city cruising, but they're not at all up to the task of even slightly fast riding. Even one hard stop on a downhill grade makes them fade badly. They also have a small pad area that wears out quickly. They would be great for a regular bicycle, but not a 100 plus lb 50 mph bike.

Besides this major shortcoming I like everything else about them. I love the easy to adjust levers, and they look good on the bike. The pads are easy to change, and they're easy to bleed. I can probably live with the rear brake, but I'm going to look for a better Shimano front brake.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-XT-BL-BR-M8000-M8100-Hydraulic-Disc-Brake-Set-Levers-Pair-Front-Rear-OE-/352640316482?var=&hash=item0

Well, those are two pistons brakes so no wonder they fade. You need to go with four pistons.
So look for Shimano XT BR-M8020
Shimano-XT-BR-M8020-Disc-Brake-black-front-59683-202267-1515604525.jpeg

Or
Magura MT5
98677-00-d-161380.jpg

Or
Best of the best:
Hope Tech V4, they have them in any color
132782-00-d-226857.jpg

And if you want better cooling go for:
Hope Tech 3 V4 Vented Floating Disc Rotor
Hope-Floating-Vented-6-bolt-Tech-3-V4-Brake-Rotor-silver-203-mm-33588-305281-1576566072.jpeg

Personally I own and use both Hopes and Magura. A like them both where magura are cheap and works good, but Hopes are truly THE gems and have the best premium feel. CNC made from a solid block of ALU, just can not be compared with the stamped alu Shimanos or plastic Maguras. They are a dream to bleed, just as any motorbike or a car out there and they use cheap DOT unlike other ones that need expensive mineral oil. Oh and that name alone, HOPE... Yeah they are the only hope.

Thanks for the recommendations Allex. Genius minds think alike. I was already planning to order a Shimano XT BR-M8020 caliper, because it matches my master cylinder. I can get a new one on eBay for $110. I don't really need more braking power, I just want to reduce fade, so I think it'll be good enough.

Your recommendation for floating rotors is good one too. I've always struggled to make the brakes on my Bomber quiet. Last year I installed floating rotors, and they had a very noticeable effect at reducing brake noise, which stays consistent whether the rotors are hot or cold. I didn't think they would make much difference, but they did.

Cowardlyduck said:
+1 for the Hope/Magura combo. I ran an MT4/2 front/rear on my Fighter and now run an MT5/4 front/rear on my LMX 64. Works a treat as long as you bleed them well.

Cheers

Thanks for your input CD. I like the Hope, but not the $$$. I was pretty happy with my MT2s, except they were always noisy, and I wore them out after 15,000 miles. I think the MT5 on my sons Bomber are great. They're not too expensive, but I'm spoiled for the easy lever adjusters on my Shimano's. I also have to remind myself that the brakes on my bike now are better than any bike I've ever owned, so I'm basically reduced to making only tiny improvements. I don't even know why I need brakes this good considering I'm almost 68, and everyone I ride with are over 50 lol.

As most of you know Ive been using the Shimano saint BR-m820 4 pots for a while now and they are pretty damn good. I had Maguras mt5's and they always felt spongy and underpowered. I went through pads and rotors like water, at least 2 rotors a year... my saints last at least 3x as long. From the moment they were on my bike I could tell the difference in stopping power. I have used the rotors with and without "ICE" tech and also have used sintered, organic and non name brand pads.

I like brakes with very little travel in the "modulation" zone hence why I favor Shimano brakes. From my experiments with pads and rotors I can tell you the following. (I do very steep downhill off road and weigh about 160lbs)

In general as long as they are bled correctly there is little to no fade and strong power. I would at some point like to try out a moto front end on it but that is for another day...

SHIMANO XT SM-RT86 ice tech (steel aluminum sandwich) vs SHIMANO XT SM-RT76 rotors....not really that much difference of any at all in stopping power, feel, or durability. The 76 are cheaper. They weight slightly more but WTF were riding 10000lbs monster bikes...

SHIMANO Sintered Disc Brake Pads- good stopping power, 1 finger stopping, last forever...
SHIMANO Resin Disc Brake Pads- good stopping power, a bit more modulation, a touch more fade than sintered.
Truckerco Sintered Metallic Disc Brake Pads- less feel than the shimanos. The stopping power is about on par with the resin pads if not a little better. Durability is really good. These do not have the fins on them but I have not noticed a significant difference in fade or heat issues compared with the sintered shimanos.

Result...
If you don't mind a more wooden feel go with the Truckerco Sintered Metallic Disc Brake Pads and 76 rotors. If you are really sensitive to feel get the oem pads. either way can't really go wrong get both pads and experiment they are cheap anyway. When I bought the Shimanos I was looking between the Shimanos and the hopes. Saw that at the time most top of the line downhill teams were going with either of the 2.
I went with Shimanos because the the cost difference. the hopes are so damn pretty though... Shimanos look like they belong on a kawasaki...

Thanks 1abv. I watched a couple of comparison YT videos, and apparently Shimano Saint BR-m820 are basically identical to XT BR-M8020, just a newer model, and they use the same pads. Considering Dallas is flat as a pancake I'm sure they'll be great.

Back