TSDZ2 open source firmware only for KT-LCD3 (v0.19.0 / v.0.20.0beta1)

Yes the motor software for OEM displays and for ESP32, they originate from 20 beta 1.
I added some small changes to the OEM display one.
The one for ESP32-v7 of mspider65, has in addition "field weakening" and other optimizations.

Regarding the protocols, I didn't understand what you need to do.
Those of OEM displays and LCD3 are similar and are the simplest.
The one in v1.1.0 is more sophisticated and requires a little more attention.
ESP32 is somewhere in between.
However, they are all easy to maintain.

In the last 2 months I have tried all the versions, that of mspider65 adapted to LCD3, the v.1.1.0 with 860C and the new one for OEM display.
You ask me which one is better?
It's like asking the chef if her food is good :lol:

mbrusa said:
In the last 2 months I have tried all the versions, that of mspider65 adapted to LCD3, the v.1.1.0 with 860C and the new one for OEM display.
I will not ask which version is better. But I think you are one of the people that has tried all versions.
I know that there are differences in handling the firmware, display and settings, but ask if you have found remarkable differences when biking (assuming all the settings are done).

mbrusa said:
Yes the motor software for OEM displays and for ESP32, they originate from 20 beta 1.
The one for ESP32-v7 of mspider65, has in addition "field weakening" and other optimizations.

Hi mbrusa does the ESP32-v7 work with LCD3 display??

Thanks You

fi7ippo said:
..... does the ESP32-v7 work with LCD3 display??..
mspider65 has already answered almost the same question in his topic.
The answer is no, but he gives a direction how to modify.

fi7ippo said:
mbrusa said:

Hi mbrusa does the ESP32-v7 work with LCD3 display??

Thanks You
No, it is a trial version without ESP32, I only adapted it to do my tests.

mbrusa said:
I actually read this posting before but forgot that mspider's is also based on 0.20beta. Because I use a LCD module with ESP32 it would have been the straightest way to add display drivers to this project.
But now I'm really wondering why I notice a rather different behaviour in this versions with same roots. Maybe just this "optimisations" made the version not that smooth going.
Maybe too many optimisations might be too much...?

mbrusa said:
Regarding the protocols, I didn't understand what you need to do.
My first aim is to have a display that connects by bluetooth to the smart bms.
I'm really pleased with the version for the OEM display. So if the version for LCD3 is as good as the one for OEM it's better to use this motor software / display protocol.

mbrusa said:
You ask me which one is better?
It's like asking the chef if her food is good :lol:
The real master knows (s)he is good :lol:

Elinx said:
I will not ask which version is better. But I think you are one of the people that has tried all versions.
I know that there are differences in handling the firmware, display and settings, but ask if you have found remarkable differences when biking (assuming all the settings are done).
What you need to know about the difference between 20beta1 and v1.1.0 has already been written.
The purpose of the comparison I made was to prove "field weakening" in the two versions.
With v1.1.0 there is a known problem that affects the test, at low cadence up to about 50, there is little assistance you are forced to increase the level, then after 60 the assistance increases suddenly, like a turbo car of the 80s. Continuing there is an excellent power delivery up to 120 cadence.
For someone like me who rides at an average cadence of 60, that's not good.
The version of mspider only reaches 110 cadence, after that there is a drop in power, but it is much more linear, it is a continuous and regular progression from when you start pedaling.

@Beli, it is true, with the same assistance and at low cadence, v7 it seems less reactive than the original 20beta1, but it is enough to increase the assistance parameter by 10/20% to recover.

mbrusa said:
What you need to know about the difference between 20beta1 and v1.1.0 has already been written.
The purpose of the comparison I made was to prove "field weakening" in the two versions....
Thank you for this small review between the versions.

Hello!

I started working on adding the functionalities developed by mspider65, to the 0.20.0 developed by Leon. I spent some time understanding the new code and I think the results will be quite good. The code is very well optimized and the good part is that the modifications to the display interface are minimal.

As progress, I have created a first alpha version with variable foc angle and the results are nice. I will have to run some more tests before releasing a version. Now is quite cold outside and I was able to test only around the house.

Keep in mind I do not have any means of debugging the code (embedded debugger) like other devs do, so fixing bugs is not so trivial.
So I cannot guarantee it will work well in 100% of cases. Please understand before flashing the code.

My test configuration is a 48v motor with 48v battery with lcd3, temperature sensor and no throttle no coaster brake. I plan to validate at least power mode and EMTB. I do not use street mode.

My fork is here and any feedback/dev feedback is welcome:
https://github.com/bbeschea/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike/tree/startMspiderFork

Regards!

maximusdm said:
Hello!

I started working on adding the functionalities developed by mspider65, to the 0.20.0 developed by Leon. I spent some time understanding the new code and I think the results will be quite good. The code is very well optimized and the good part is that the modifications to the display interface are minimal.

As progress, I have created a first alpha version with variable foc angle and the results are nice. I will have to run some more tests before releasing a version. Now is quite cold outside and I was able to test only around the house.

Regards!

Thanks You maximusdm! This is a really good news.
The field weakening is the only missing things on LCD3 in my opnion.
I'm available to test if you share your hex file!

Me too :bigthumb: :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

SO far I found 2 visual problems on the display on battery SOC (bar) and temperature field blinking. They should be fixed now.
I made a ride of 1 km on power mode and apart from the 2 above all is ok. I plan to make a release for public testing by the end of the week, to test a bit more.

Hello,

Today it was sunny and 10 C so I was able to do a test of 10 km. I checked power mode and emtb mode on various assist levels. Also the parameters like temperature, cadence, speed, current, pedal weight look good.

I am quite happy with this release so far. The motor power is delivered in a linear matter and the assistance is good up to 110. But the motor continues to assist even after that. At 135 cadence I still got 50w.

I would like to thank mspider65 for his research and work to make this possible!

The release beta is here :)
https://github.com/bbeschea/TSDZ2_wiki/wiki/KT-LCD3-TSDZ2-release-page

Awesome work, will give it a try later today :bigthumb:

(!) Important to know (!)
The LCD menu is not clean yet so DO NOT use features like:
- advance cadence and advance cadence calibration (it is already advance in standard with no needed calibration)

Hi Maximus its been a while but finally got a chance to test it.. :mrgreen:

My advice is to wait for the MrBrusa release for the KTLCD3 which is not too far away (any updates please ?)

I have been riding with his beta version for a few weeks now and I can say that it is way better than anything else I have tried.
I hope you don't take that the wrong way... its been so long since there has been an update for the KTLCD3 so I commend you for taking the time to do it.

The startup boost is a gamechanger and field weakening peaks out at 120 cadence on my 36v motor at about 38.5v charge. In comparison your version got me to about 115 cadence but the power delivery between both versions is something you need to experience for yourself !!

Hopefully his release is not too far away.

P.S can I ask what motor and battery voltage you are running ?

Hi Jbalat,

Thanks for the honest feedback. This is why we are a community.
My point here was to have an alternative to the v1.0 and the Bluetooth one. I have ridden 0.20.0 for 1.5 years and I feel this release like a step forward.
I need to have a very efficient motor soft, not fancy integrations which are of no use to me. I like lcd3 because it shows a lot of useful info all on same screen. If we can receive an additional version for lcd3 from an experienced dev, it is a very good news.

I am running 48v/48v.

Jbalat

I've been running the latest version of the LCD3 Beta and agree its very good, but on the the 48 Volt motors you can never get the really sweet sharp revving feel of the 36 volts motors, the torque curve is just 10 rpm lower all the across the range. I moved my 48 volt unit to 52 volts ( to try and keep the heat in control better over the previous 36 volt motors I've had ) and its better but just not as sweet as that 36 volt motor on 52 volts, keep it below 550 -600 W and that little 36 volt motor is really good.

Theres a couple of issues which I think Marco is looking at and I'm looking foward to the released version. The LCD3 is still way ahead as an all round display in my view.

Hi everyone, the time has come to release the new version.
There are still some tweaks to be done, but if I wait for everything to be perfect I will never release it.
There are actually three new versions, one for standard displays with Java configurator, one for LCD3 and one for 860C color display.
For all versions, The base firmware of the engine is the same, v7 of mspider65 which comes from 20beta1, to which I have added other changes.
In all versions, the operation and parameters of the motor are the same, so I decided to open another thread that groups all these new versions.

This is the link
TSDZ2 OSF for all displays, VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18, LCD3, 860C.

This is indeed great news! :)
V7 from mspider has a lot of optimizations and code cleanup. You have taken it one step forward by adding more features and made compatibility with all the displays.

I think all the community is grateful for this effort and respects what you have done for us.

I will test this version and support in any way I can.

Thank you,
Max

For the past couple of months, I have been helping test this new version of firmware 20.1C for the 860C!
I have to say it's the best version of firmware I've ever used on the TSDZ2!
Last year mbrusa improved the firmware 20.1 for the LCD3 so it was much safer and better than before!
Then the last few months he was able to add the 860C and 850C displays to the 20.1C firmware and improved it for all the displays!
I want to publicly thank mbrusa for all his work getting his version of 20.1C working on all the displays. And working with me the last two years to make MAJOR improvements to his version 20.1C!
THANKS!
Jeff

I temporarily installed a TSDZ2 motor that I fixed up Broken TSDZ2 motor casing rebuild onto an old Raleigh Mtn bike so I can road test it. It currently works fine with the throttle but has no torque assist. It supposedly has V 0.18.2 OSF (kit is from Electrifybike). It seems the PDF manual that Electrifybike sent me does not match the menus/ sub menus on my display.

How do I tell what version OSF I have? Can I do that from the KT-LCD3? Any help appreciated.

I have a question about flashing the LCD3 display: There is a chip in the display: MM32SPIN25PF - what tools should I use to flash this display? I tried V-link and STVP - it doesn't work

Back