ebikes.com or endless-sphere.com?

• ebikes.com

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • endless-sphere.com

Votes: 49 68.1%

• Total voters
NoFanBoiz said:
neptronix said:
An improvement to the current setup could be to redesign the logo graphic so it just says 'click to enter the forum'.. or automatically redirect to /forum.

I suggest a short term and quick 2 minute job:

- Add some text to the home page along the lines of 'electric bikes and more' or whatever you think most appropriate that links to the forum? Ideally text and links to each forum category that match the category text.

- html title on home page currently says "Endless Sphere Forum" - change to whatever you think most appropriate

- Forum home page html title is "(4) Endless Sphere - Index page" !
Wow - that needs changing too.

neptronix, can't the quick fixes above be implemented?

NoFanBoiz said:
NoFanBoiz said:
neptronix said:
An improvement to the current setup could be to redesign the logo graphic so it just says 'click to enter the forum'.. or automatically redirect to /forum.

- Add some text to the home page along the lines of 'electric bikes and more' or whatever you think most appropriate that links to the forum? Ideally text and links to each forum category that match the category text.

- html title on home page currently says "Endless Sphere Forum" - change to whatever you think most appropriate

- Forum home page html title is "(4) Endless Sphere - Index page" !
Wow - that needs changing too.

neptronix, can't the quick fixes above be implemented?

I do need to talk to Justin about some things before i go making more changes like that.
..and also handle some 60000ft tall technical issues.
Your feedback is useful, but let's put a pin in it for the moment.

Thank you.

I will bring it up to the higher ups as an idea.
Perhaps other interesting domains exist.

..if one of you has such an idea, PM me with it so some jerk doesn't register it to sabotage us. :lol:

NoFanBoiz said:
lol, magneticmotion.com was registered on the 5th Feb. Missed it by that much.

I've got .net and .org and also years of non-responses as to whether the company has a trademark registered in that name or even gives a damn. :)

neptronix said:
NoFanBoiz said:
lol, magneticmotion.com was registered on the 5th Feb. Missed it by that much.

I've got .net and .org and also years of non-responses as to whether the company has a trademark registered in that name or even gives a damn. :)

magenticmotion is looking better and better all the time... :mrgreen:

M

I think that if you want to stay with an obscure name that doesn't tell people what the site is about, but takes a single small step in that direction from endlessshpere.com, then magneticmotion is just dandy.

IMO it doesn't help that endless-sphere.com is just an image of an infinity symbol. How do you know to click it? Obvious to you and me but to noobs? There should just be a redirect right to the forum. Does the homepage have all the keywords for the bots to pick up?

And having a redirect at ebikes.com/forums to send traffic to ES would help too.

If we have the option to do it, I think eventually ES should be at ebikes.com/forums.

Warren

.. you may be biased in your domain name preferences :lol:
I agree there should be an auto redirect or something else.

I also have a logo donated by nevo cohen which would be a lot more suitable than the orb:

old ebikes.ca logo from neho coven.jpg

Nobody internally cared about switching our logo over to it, or even commented about it when i posted it. So the image never went anywhere. It'd be suitable for an ebikes.com versus my mad scientist/tesla aesthetic for the magnetic motion name.

On the one hand that's a damn kewl logo, on the other hand understated is just fine and so is the globe. I could picture an animation that started as the globe and morphed to that bike in motion.

But I do think there are a lot of people who at least already know what Endless Sphere is, know what V is for Voltage is, even without going to either. A name change works against that.

www.recumbents.com said:
IMO it doesn't help that endless-sphere.com is just an image of an infinity symbol. How do you know to click it? Obvious to you and me but to noobs? There should just be a redirect right to the forum. Does the homepage have all the keywords for the bots to pick up?

You don't.
It's not.
Yes.
No.

www.recumbents.com said:
And having a redirect at ebikes.com/forums to send traffic to ES would help too.

It would if there was any content at ebikes.com/forums but there isn't. Unlikely randoms would type that address in, whereas randoms would type in ebikes.com

www.recumbents.com said:
If we have the option to do it, I think eventually ES should be at ebikes.com/forums.

The most sensible url.

neptronix said:
endless-sphere is the name for a hosting company ran by knightMB and was never intended as a name for this forum.
We really need a better idea.

I bought magnetic-motion.net and magnetic-motion.org quite a bit ago, came up with an aesthetic for it, rules, etc. It was meant to be endless sphere 2.0 during the period of time where it's future was up for question. The plans were shelved when i learned Justin's takeover was a good thing.

magnetic-motion-mewe.jpg

I would be willing to donate these domain names to the cause, and think that anything other than endless-sphere.com would be an improvement.

If we switch domain names, there will be full forwarding over to the new domain for at least 5 years, since we can't afford to lose our searchability/name recognition. That's no problem; the xenforo plugins and other technology to enable that exists.

SEO will improve dramatically simply by switching to Xenforo, according to many webmasters who have made the switch.

So don't worry about the effects of a name change.
Keep in mind that whoever owns the domain name, owns the forum. Changing the name to a domain name owned by Neptronix, seems to me like a sneaky way to become the owner of this forum and do what ya like with it. Including advertizing.

Me I am against advertising, and I have no complaints about the way Justin is running and financing this forum.

I have trouble with spelling. In school we would take aptitude tests. I was good at reading comprehension. Bad at spelling.

I can't spell magnetecit or is it magnetic? I also can't spell sphiere or is it sphere?

No trouble spelling with the letter e, bike, or bikes.

.com is best. .net and .org is for yohos who wanted .com but bought .net or .org because the .com was taken.

Anyone like the name voltev.com as in Volt Electric Vehicles. To let it be known. Volt was my idea. GM stole it from me with their Chevrolet Volt.

I can donate voltev.com since I am doing nothing with it.

marty said:
Keep in mind that whoever owns the domain name, owns the forum. Changing the name to a domain name owned by Neptronix, seems to me like a sneaky way to become the owner of this forum and do what ya like with it. Including advertizing.

Me I am against advertising, and I have no complaints about the way Justin is running and financing this forum.

I've already had the ability to do what you're scared of for the last 6 years.
I've stated that i'm against advertising too.

I sure am patient on executing these sneaky plots you've been accusing me of for years! :lol:

But seriously, as we discussed in another thread, we have adequate, redundant forms of funding from the proceeds of Justin's business, and also the extra proceeds of my business. ES is our passion project. It's also the community's passion project, as many members of our community have stated that they'd like to help fund the community too.

Hopefully our actions in the future prove to you that this community is in good hands.

I don't know Erik. And I am recently retired and setting up an ebike repair shop in Boston.... BUT!!!...... I used to own "cars.com" back in the 90's. I was going to set up a hobby page. Back then the idea of commerce wasn't born yet....

I think Erik deserves to monetize ebikes.com in a few years. The guy that owns cars.com now just collects royalties from whomever
wants to use it... which is in the tens of thousands a month....

I vote leave it alone and let Erik earn money to play and design more good stuff for us!!

Darren

NoFanBoiz said:

I had a moment to do this, and added a 'click to enter' text.

The other changes.. we'll consider the fine points when we move platforms.

neptronix said:
NoFanBoiz said:

I had a moment to do this, and added a 'click to enter' text.

The other changes.. we'll consider the fine points when we move platforms.

Would have only taken a 'moment' to also fix the html title. :(

NoFanBoiz said:
Would have only taken a 'moment' to also fix the html title. :(

Given it won't improve our SEO ( these titles are only generated when you're logged in ), and we're a month away from another format, it's not worth sifting through multiple phpbb code files to change those titles to make a change like that.

Sorry, my priorities are on prepping our site for the move, writing code to do data processing to clean up phpbb corruption, etc.

I kinda like the endless sphere name now that I'm used to it, but it is a pain to share it orally with other people, most of the time they won't hear it clearly or will forget it just two minutes later. I know I was one of these people and it took my friends several times to get me to remember it and finally create an accout here :lol:
Not a big fan of ebikes.com cuz there's more than just ebikes here, even though ebikes take most of the space**, but at least ebikes.com is easy enough to remember so I guess the best choice for the forum would be to go for it.

**(would be cool to get separated sections for motorcycles, mopeds and scooters btw, cuz they are really different things, just like ebikes are different things and get their own section)

amberwolf said:
Maybe you should click this link
http://ebikes.com
and see where you go, then tell me who you think owns it. ;)

Oh, I think Privacy Officer owns it. (Whois) A rumor that Grin is run by the Phantom of the Opera could be good for business.

Meanwhile, he ain't tellin' who Erik is, so we can have fun with the possibilities.

Back