Error code 06 under voltage issue. Need help!

decksrx

1 mW
Hey guys. I'm having an issue that's a new one to me. I have an ebikeling 1500w waterproof kit. I've done around 7 or 8 builds with these waterproof kits for myself, some friends and family and have had good luck so far with all of them. I like the fact that they are all waterproof plugs for connectors, so no hard wiring or soldering to do.
I'm now having an issue that's giving me an 06 error code which is an under voltage code. I have a 48v shark style battery with Samsung cells, that's a year old with about 60 cycles on it. I went to ride the other day, and as soon as I gave some throttle, the display and bike shut down with the 06 error code. The display I have is the S830. The display would not power back on. Then I shut the battery switch on the battery off and then on again, and then display then came back up when I turned it on. Tried to throttle up again and same thing happened. If I lift up back wheel off the ground, it will take full throttle and spin like crazy. Its only under load, where it will shut down. I tested battery voltage with a multimeter and I'm getting 54.4 out at full charrge. This is the controller that comes with the kit https://ebikeling.com/collections/ebike-controllers/products/48v-1500w-waterproof-brushless-controller-led-lcd
Don't know where to go from here. Anyone have suggestions. Thanks

My best guess is the battery has a bad cell group and is sagging under load enough to trigger the error. But testing for this may be challenging. Using a different battery would be the easiest test.

Another common failure with Shark style packs is the battery connector. Look closely at the contacts and see if there are any burn marks or signs of heat. Maybe try cleaning the contacts and tightening them if this is possible.

There's a number of methods; some of the threads in the list linked below have good info on load testing:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=load+tester*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Ok, I was having an issue with the bike, every time I would start out and then try to give it some throttle, the display and bike would give an error code 06 (low voltage) and then shut down. I would have to shut the battery at the switch right on battery and turn it on again before I could power up the display again. The kit is a 48v 1500w hub motor kit from ebikeling in Illinois. I've built about15 bikes for myself, friends and family and I've had very good luck with these kits.
I contacted them and describe the issue and was told it was a battery voltage problem or possibly the controller. I was getting 54.5 volts on the multimeter on a fully charged battery. The battery is a CYCBT 48v 13ah shark style with Samsung cells which is only a year old. I sent for another controller and when I installed it, the bike did the same thing
I wanted to test battery under a load,then I noticed something odd. As I was looking for voltage on the battery with multimeter, I noticed that with battery switch off, I was getting a voltage reading of 40.2 and then right up to 54.4 wihen i turned the switch on. Should I get any reading at all with the battery switch off? Also the battery power indicator lights right on the battery would not light up when I pressed button while power switch was off. I turned the power button switch on battery on and off a few times and now noticed I was getting 54.4v with power switch on OR off. Also battery strength indicator on battery is working with switch on or off as well. Could bike have been cutting out because I have a bad switch on battery? As of right now bike is working fine, but i believe batt switch is on continuously no matter position of switch. Sorry for the long post guys.

decksrx said:
Ok, I was having an issue with the bike, every time I would start out and then try to give it some throttle, the display and bike would give an error code 06 (low voltage) and then shut down. I would have to shut the battery at the switch right on battery and turn it on again before I could power up the display again. The kit is a 48v 1500w hub motor kit from ebikeling in Illinois. I've built about15 bikes for myself, friends and family and I've had very good luck with these kits.
I contacted them and describe the issue and was told it was a battery voltage problem or possibly the controller. I was getting 54.5 volts on the multimeter on a fully charged battery. The battery is a CYCBT 48v 13ah shark style with Samsung cells which is only a year old. I sent for another controller and when I installed it, the bike did the same thing
I wanted to test battery under a load,then I noticed something odd. As I was looking for voltage on the battery with multimeter, I noticed that with battery switch off, I was getting a voltage reading of 40.2 and then right up to 54.4 wihen i turned the switch on. Should I get any reading at all with the battery switch off? Also the battery power indicator lights right on the battery would not light up when I pressed button while power switch was off. I turned the power button switch on battery on and off a few times and now noticed I was getting 54.4v with power switch on OR off. Also battery strength indicator on battery is working with switch on or off as well. Could bike have been cutting out because I have a bad switch on battery? As of right now bike is working fine, but i believe batt switch is on continuously no matter position of switch. Sorry for the long post guys.

How did you decide on that battery for your 1500W kit? Maybe post a link to the actual battery, because doing a search, and looking at the specs, it looks like the battery could support a little less than 500W continuous, and 960W peak. Maybe good for a 350W kit. Regardless of your switch/contact/bms issue, you're already on your way to killing the cells.

look at the welding / soldering on the battery elements such problems very often occur when the voltage drops under load and at idle it works normally

The strange voltage reading when the switch is off is pretty typical. The smallest stray leakage current is enough for your meter to read. The meter is very sensitive. If you place any kind of load (resistor, light bulb) across the battery when the switch is off, you should see zero.

Back