Cycle Analyst Setup -- PAS registers, but doesn't spin motor

In summary, everything appears to be connected and I can see spin/rpm, but no motor spin with the PAS.

• I've got a Mini PAS from Grin plugged into the CA
  • The CA is wired down to a Phase Runner
  • Everything is on the latest versions of software
  • Throttle works
  • Spinning the PAS doesn't cause the motor to kick in
  • Display shows that spinning the PAS creates the little RPM LCD block (right next to the throttle/ebrake icon)
  • The ebrake icon is not engaged unless I'm on the brakes
  • In the secondary screen, I can see the RPMs reading when I spin the PAS
  • Configured for "Basic Power" with 500watts

Not really quite sure where to go from here. What little tidbit of info have I missed from the manual about setup that would make the motor spin when the PAS spins? Is there a setting somewhere that might be disabling this? Do I have the ca throttle in/out setup messing things up, maybe? I just don't know :}

In the screen just to the "left" of the main screen, what does the throttle input and output read, both when not spinning the PAS, and when doing so?

Do you have the serial-USB cable for the CA, and the setup program? If so, can you download and attach the settings file for your setup, so we can see what *all* the settings are? (some interact, and differently in different modes)

Note that both the CA and the PR are "smart" and require being setup for the system they are being used on. If you haven't gone thru the whole PR setup first, and made sure it works from a throttle voltage input (even just a variable voltage input in the right range), I'd recommend making sure the motor system and PR work normally before setting up the CA.

If they *do* work, then you can verify the CA can send throttle to PR in a few ways we can go over if needed.

View attachment settings.zip

Both my PR and CA settings.

amberwolf said:
Note that both the CA and the PR are "smart" and require being setup for the system they are being used on. If you haven't gone thru the whole PR setup first, and made sure it works from a throttle voltage input (even just a variable voltage input in the right range), I'd recommend making sure the motor system and PR work normally before setting up the CA.

Yes, they do. I had originally started with just throttle on PR and did the calibration (not that I needed it, since Grin gives out a motor profile for this specific motor anyway).

I did adjust the throttle range when I went to the CA so that it was wider to take full advantage of the larger 5v range than is the default 1-3.6, but otherwise haven't really gotten crazy with any settings.

amberwolf said:
If they *do* work, then you can verify the CA can send throttle to PR in a few ways we can go over if needed.

I'm sure the CA can and does send throttle as I have throttle plugged in to the CA and can spin the motor with it. But the PAS spinning does nothing other than show RPM on the CA.

chuyskywalker said:
I'm sure the CA can and does send throttle as I have throttle plugged in to the CA and can spin the motor with it. But the PAS spinning does nothing other than show RPM on the CA.
Ok. Just be clear: is there *no* throttle voltage change in either in or out field, on that diagnostic screen to the "left" of the main screen, when PAS is spinning at any speed?

If not, then there has to be a setting in the CA that causes the issue, since the CA does detect the PAS.

I looked at the CA.hex file in the CA setup program, and it looks like it is set to provide a simple constant 500w assist as long as the CA detects pedalling is occuring, regardless of pedal RPM. If you want to vary the power by how fast you're pedalling, you can use the Assist Scale Factor to do that.

But AFAICS it should be creating a throttle out based on the PAS input.

Since it is set to the power control mode, it does interact with the aux input knob you have setup to control the power limit. If that knob is turned all the way down (or not connected?), it may not react to throttle or PAS as expected.

You also have a digital aux button setup to control PAS levels, with the lowest setting as 0%. If you haven't pushed the digiaux up button to increase taht percentage to one of the other levels, it may also not react as expected.

Shouldn't be related to the PAS problem, but I do note that there is a 0.02v/second ramp up rate on the throttle output (for when you're using the throttle to do this). That means it will take quite a long time with the throttle to reach actual throttle level. Let's say you moved your throttle to fully on, then to reach the 4.21v from 1.00v it would take 3.21v / 0.02v/s = 160 seconds to full throttle. ;) (at least, when battery current is above 3A.) Not sure if you meant to do that. (I'm not sure what rate it will actually ramp at, since with a throttle ramping so low it would probably always use the FastRampUp setting as current would probably always be below 3A, or else it might actually toggle between the two ramp modes as current jumps on FRUR and then drops on RUR).

The PAS ramp up rate is 1.00v/second, so it would only take about 3 seconds to reach full output (assuming max power output, less time if it's less power), which is reasonable.

Just to verify the hardware, try this attached ca_test.hex file. If it doesn't change anything just reupload your old settings back to the CA. In it I disabled the aux analog and digital, and upped the throttle up rate to 0.5v/sec, and changed the PAS to throttle mode (rather than power), left it at the 50% throttle that came up, so in theory it should ramp up to max PAS in about a second and a half once you start turning the cranks. I think everthing els eis the same.

Attachments

• ca_test.zip
    564 bytes · Views: 6
amberwolf said:
You also have a digital aux button setup to control PAS levels, with the lowest setting as 0%. If you haven't pushed the digiaux up button to increase taht percentage to one of the other levels, it may also not react as expected.

This was it -- I don't HAVE a digital aux, not sure how I got that setting turned on. Clearing that from my previous settings has set everything right. Sneaky sneaky, thanks!

Cool--glad it works now. :)

A number of settings in the CA are interactive with each other, and some depend on yet other settings as to whether they are interactive and how they are....Thats' why Teklektik wrote the old UUG (which for some reason seems to have disappeared from the CAv3 beta thread?) as a complete, step by step, configuration guide to the CA, intended to be used from start to finish without skipping any steps, to ensure correct configuration for any particular usage scenario. :)

Back