Programming APT AE96600 controller (update: NOT recommended, unstable program)

I've got a 96800 controller coming from them in a few weeks. They told me it will be set to pull a max 180 battery amps when it arrives, but max it can be set to is 300 battery amps. Looking through this post, it looks like there are a lot of parameters for settings on this controller. If I simply want to make this controller pull it's maximum 300A so I can get the most power out of it, is this going to be easy to do or am I going to also have to change all kinds of other settings?

I figured I'd stay ahead of things and ask the question ahead of time before it arrives. I'd also like to not fry the controller messing with too many settings. >.< I'm new with electric controllers/motors, so I figured it'd be safe to ask.

Just set the mode dc current to whatever you need and you’re ok. That and the phase current setting obviously needs to be right for your motor.

If you don’t know the correct phase angle setting for your motor then that needs to be found.

There are a few others that need to be set like low volt/ high volt etc. If you’re experienced at tuning controllers and the seller haven’t restricted the program then it’s mostly pretty easy, if you’re new to it then this controller isn’t really the best for you.

Ok thanks for the fast response, much appreciated!

So sounds like it should be simple then. I've got their biggest mid drive, the 8kw/30kw peak one, so I think it should easily handle it. Still waiting on it and the controller. But I'll refer back here then once it comes in a few weeks. I'm assuming it's set up for my motor when it arrives, and that I'll just have to tweak the battery and phase amp settings I hope.

Thanks!

Yup, it's the 180 90H. I'm hoping it's pretty beast. I haven't seen any videos or heard anything on anyone else running one though. I'm hoping that controller is able to fully utilize it as well. I'll be sure to post my build once it comes in and such. I'm using it in a sport ATV. :)

Absolute fearsome beast! I just fired up my new 96800 controller on my 12k wheel and it is awesome. Mind numbing power. Mind twisting speed. I am a pretty semi handy newbie and I fired it right up. Now if I can figure out how it works! I am running a 72v. 100a battery right now and the seller had me download new firmware to limit current? I guess if it is set for 96v and 300a battery it could be dangerous to run a 100a battery? I think I still need to adjust the current in the drive manager software, but so far I have not been able to open it. I am hoping it is done with the new firmware? Anyway I would love to share a picture or video so you guys can see this. It has so much torque it can wheelie the entire test stand I made for it, without touching the ground! I am hopeful I can learn it is right before any road testing, which is a couple of weeks away. I am so excited with this new toy, I had to jump right into a post when I saw someone else was getting a 96800 too. Now I will go back and read all the posts! I also read we are to keep chit chat to a minimum in posts so I am mindful of that, and please forgive too much excitement and happiness. So far I love my 96800s and hope to learn and share all I can about them. Thanks guys.

Oh wow, that is really great to hear! What are you running yours in though? I noticed this is an "e-bike" section, so I'm hopping your not using it in a bicycle? Are you building/testing it in a full size motorcycle?

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Yes I am building a monster scooter with two monster e-motorcycle wheels. It is meant to be even stronger than a motorcycle build, since power at both wheels. I am shooting for under 300lbs! with the undersized 72v battery I have now. I am building room for a 96v battery I will buy if I survive the 72v! I have not posted a picture here yet, and I have not read all the rules, but I see an attachment button below so I will try to post a picture or two of what I have so far. Brother I am very much interested in your e-atv! That sounds fantastic also! Life is good 😊

I found this forum on a search for apv controllers, and it took me straight to this thread in ebikes anyway. It is all good, looks like lots to learn here. D65305C7-FC68-4FDD-99CF-1DD968673825.jpeg

It works! Very cool. I can’t wait to see your monster mid motor and atv. Is it a retrofit? How heavy? Fun stuff!

These controllers are extra heavy and have the most awesome DENSE feeling. They are epoxy set and totally solid. I am very impressed and happy. The speed control, at least on the test stand is very good and it seems easy to go slowly very smoothly also. Can you tell I am excited?

Attachments

• 8A840C35-2A90-4E0A-8C0C-6F09FF0325DD.jpeg
    8A840C35-2A90-4E0A-8C0C-6F09FF0325DD.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 1,533
  • 5E8B7225-E36C-4166-AB5F-083B2B46EFA2.jpeg
    5E8B7225-E36C-4166-AB5F-083B2B46EFA2.jpeg
    496.7 KB · Views: 1,533
Wow, a motor on both wheels? lol that will definitely be pretty crazy! Just make sure your safe. :lol: Yours looks pretty good so far!

Great to hear your are liking the controller though, I'm super excited and I hope my motor and controller don't keep getting delayed when shipping. It's spring and I'm getting super antsy to get mine up and running. Mine is using a Yamaha Raptor 700 atv, and I'm shooting for somewhere around its normal stock weight or less. It just depends on how big of a battery I plan to make. Very excited though!

Good luck with yours!

larsb said:
I don't even know what degrees the motor actually are in are they degrees c or f
it's in deg C as the controller temp reading vs outside temperature corresponds well in deg C.

I have done some trials tonight. At least some progress..

-Mode 5 is boost mode, seems like protection settings are ignored and max set phase current is delivered.

-Mode 4 is normal mode and settings from the "protection" screen is followed.

The different current steps are related to the rpms that is set for the mode:
I tried setting mode "4" speed to 2550rpm and then set a current increase from 100A to 300A at "Iqref 6" on the protection screen and the result is a change at roughly 1200 rpms.
image.jpeg
6step/13step=0,46 and 1200/2550=0,47 so they correlate quite well.

I can't get any flux weakening current readout even though i set it. Idref is always zero on the readout screen. Hmm.

My Max Rpm 1265

How can I increase this value? I want 1950rpm. Is it possible only with boost mode enabled?

i used apt 72400

Raptor atv sounds like great fun. Hope to see you rolling soon sir. Thanks for your comments. Yes safety first always. I ride a dual motor Dualtron scooter now and it has strong acceleration, but should be nothing compared to the monster. I am just getting started, and am having trouble learning how to program these controllers. I need to limit the current to run my 72v battery, I have been told, so I am working on that now. If anyone here is expert enough to talk me through it and help me limit my current on my 96800s I will pay at least $125. I also saw some pics here of the APT 961000 which looks awesome! Very cool you can make your own monster batteries also friend. You are going to be one happy camper when you get your new APT!

I love these controllers. I am running two of these on my 72v battery with the current limited to ‘only’ 80a and the power and speed are blowing my mind! I can only imagine what these things are capable of with larger batteries and 800a power! And these things have adjustments on their adjustments. Cannot wait to learn more and to ride.859C50BB-DF40-42FB-9454-F5D3FBDA0A56.jpeg

larsb said:
What’s your theoretic max rpm?
(It’s calculated as kV x measured battery voltage)

Motor QS 5000w 12 inch
battery 72v 75ah Samsung 25R 20s30p
Bms 160A

The highest speed is still only 105kph

http://www.qs-motor.com/product/most-powerful-qs212-10inch-hub-motor-7000w-70h-v4-type/

Seen this bad boy 14kw max on a 10 inch wheel with a 70 mph top speed its designed to carry 150kg or so at a very brisk pace.

2 of them fed 30kw from a 96v source could be compact and very top end powerful depending on the winding choice if ultra high speed and run in a pair that would be over 100mph if theres enough torque to get them there and 30kw id say should do the trick unless your aero is like a wedding dress or something.

If i or a friend had endless spherical cash on the hip that wanted something small like a scooter, moped or pitbike with uncontrollable levels of power id think of 2 10 inch 7000w racing hubs ultra high speed wind with 2 blood 72501 FOC controllers and a 22s2p battery made from prismatics in a dual bms setup to handle the 40kw peak 120ah of cells so real good range well over 100mph top speed but all that weighs 60kg on its own so its going to be a big scooter that would convince me enough to cut the weight in half use a single drive setup half the battery to 22s 60ah and 20kw peaks for a 30kg drivetrain thats robust and maintence light.

Instead of making a custom stand up scooter based on the nami burn-e viper etc that will push the price through the roof grab a super soco cux moped and drop it all in there it will need a custom swing arm from 200mm to 230mm but with more room to make it all fit frame wise its easier and in uk drive around without the law turning heads gets insurance and blends in with 4kwh usable energy and a 70kg total bike weight there be at least 40miles range balance be the wind of choice and all thats plenty for most commutes still do 70mph bit of foc trickery lighter more nimble nicer feeling ride.

But the dual 40kw setup i can vision in my head is pure :evil: rip down the street struggling to hang on winning all the 0-60s from anything you stand on and carry on to top speeds proberly near 115mph with field weakening and a decent aero shape.

I messed up, very big F moment

Soooo, i got the apt96600 few days ago, and started to connect it and got the software running and the motor in 5mins from beginning, very easy and simple without any problems, however.... My stupid ass wigledd the wiring harnes and one of the wires, I think drive enable touched the positive battery side ( it was connect to ground, so it shorted) and big spark and BOOm, no more controller for me, lights wont turn on and fuse didn't blow.

Now I'm disseamblying it and trying to find the cause, if you have ideas what to check pls tell me, it is covered in 100% plotting so wont be easy job.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-05-10 at 22.29.47.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-10 at 22.29.47.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 1,222
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-05-10 at 22.29.46.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-10 at 22.29.46.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 1,222
  • WhatsApp Image 2021-05-10 at 22.29.45.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-05-10 at 22.29.45.jpeg
    180.5 KB · Views: 1,222
Seems the APT96600 controllers from QS are limited to lower than the max possible current. I can't set more than 250A DC on my controller but from other sellers i see 420A max and 200A continuous.

This is an example:
image001.jpg
Some of the other restrictions in the program might also only be there on QS delivered controllers. I wonder what would be delivered from other resellers, if these controllers are delivered with 100% functional program.

Back