Big update to the biker bar & order of the forums

This section will contain posting guidelines for the forum along with any other information that is relevant to this forum.
neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Big update to the biker bar & order of the forums

Post by neptronix » Mar 31 2021 11:51am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Mar 31 2021 1:18am
The fact is, if the folk(s) running the site don't want a pre-built forum, then there won't be one. What I don't get is why there was, first, an enthusiastic 'Yes, great idea' and then, a few weeks later...this.
Me and Justin talked about the main focus that will underlie the forum redesign and we were both in favor of strongly being oriented towards DIY, since numerous forums now exist that cover ownership and selection of prebuilts.
So the new layout is designed to cater to DIY better.
LeftieBiker wrote:
Mar 31 2021 1:18am
Not building bikes from scratch for whatever reason shouldn't disqualify anyone from being able to talk about them here, in a forum about what many of us ride.
I agree. There is no change in our policy in that regard.
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500 MTB.
Monster MTB: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: Heavy duty Cannondale semi recumbent - under construction.
Blue Dream: Maxaraya FS semi recumbent and high efficiency mid-drive - under construction.

LeftieBiker   100 kW

100 kW

Post by LeftieBiker » Apr 02 2021 11:44pm

Maybe I'm overlooking it, but is there a way for members to delete our own profiles? I can't seem to find one.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Apr 02 2021 11:54pm

No, there isn't. Why would you want to do that?

If you don't want to post here for whatever reason, that's all you have to do is not post here. ;)

If you really don't want to even be able to log in any more, your login can be deactivated or banned, but the profile can't be removed without removing all of the posts associated with it, which we don't do because that destroys all the valuable information publicly posted over the years.

nicobie   1 GW

1 GW

Post by nicobie » Apr 03 2021 12:26am

Seems to me if we are going to call this joint 'ebikes.com', there should be at least a section for ready made ebikes too. If only for a place where people can post their reviews, suggestions, problems and mods.

:idea: ?
Take it easy... but take it. (Woody Guthrie)

my eTownie build thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=23701
Magazine article https://www.electricbike.com/nicks-etownie/

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Apr 03 2021 4:38am

Yeah I agree, it's got to be DIY focused. Besides that we still get the users posting their prebuilt questions in
EBike General Discussion
or any of the other EBike categories, like Technical, T/S
or E-Vehicles General Discussion
or Battery Tech

I would ask you to think how many categories of subject matter you really want as a forum.
7 now for ebikes

I never really liked the forums that had to many subject matters on their forums. I mean you run across the forums with regions of country and other countries as subject matter for their forums main page. It dilutes the forum.

neptronix wrote:
Mar 31 2021 11:51am
Me and Justin talked about the main focus that will underlie the forum redesign and we were both in favor of strongly being oriented towards DIY, since numerous forums now exist that cover ownership and selection of prebuilts.
So the new layout is designed to cater to DIY better.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Apr 03 2021 9:40am

nicobie wrote:
Apr 03 2021 12:26am
Seems to me if we are going to call this joint 'ebikes.com', there should be at least a section for ready made ebikes too. If only for a place where people can post their reviews, suggestions, problems and mods.

:idea: ?
Unfortunately i do not have a decision from Justin on that. It's unlikely that ebikes.com will be our new domain at this point.
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

Blue Dream: Maxaraya FS semi recumbent and high efficiency mid-drive - under construction.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Apr 03 2021 9:51am

markz wrote:
Apr 03 2021 4:38am
I would ask you to think how many categories of subject matter you really want as a forum.
7 now for ebikes

I never really liked the forums that had to many subject matters on their forums. I mean you run across the forums with regions of country and other countries as subject matter for their forums main page. It dilutes the forum.
I agree. The listing can't get too long or a majority of people's eyes glaze over.

Let me rethink this plan and present version 4 :mrgreen:

LeftieBiker   100 kW

100 kW

Post by LeftieBiker » Apr 03 2021 5:08pm

I didn't care about deleting all of my old posts - I just wanted to remove my profile here. No big deal. I've just developed a sour taste in my mouth when faced with a site that has forums for politics and all manner of OT things, but looks down on people who buy their ebikes instead of building them. And apparently also those disabled individuals who want to buy a mobility scooter instead of building their own - like, you know, a real Punk Rocker. I don't know if this has something to do with Justin, or if it's more local, but in any case I don't feel the desire to come here anymore. So, to the helpful folks here: Bye. I'll still read occasionally, but doubt I'll post again here.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Apr 04 2021 2:11am

So here we are not even having made the transition, and we're already losing longtime contributing members. :(

LeftieBiker wrote:
Apr 03 2021 5:08pm
I've just developed a sour taste in my mouth when faced with a site that has forums for politics and all manner of OT things, but looks down on people who buy their ebikes instead of building them. And apparently also those disabled individuals who want to buy a mobility scooter instead of building their own - like, you know, a real Punk Rocker.
I agree with you. I wouldn't leave ES over it...because I'd be abandoning those that need help here. But I don't like it.

(I edited out a long bunch of crap that nobody cares about).

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Apr 04 2021 2:47am

LeftieBiker wrote:
Apr 03 2021 5:08pm
I've just developed a sour taste in my mouth when faced with a site that has forums for politics and all manner of OT things, but looks down on people who buy their ebikes instead of building them.
Folks like that don't have much to gain here, when they can just read Micah Toll's latest glowing review of some overpriced hot garbage. It's simpler that way. If it breaks, buy another one.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW

Post by amberwolf » Apr 04 2021 3:08am

Here's another question:

If we don't want to encourage prebuilt stuff here, what do we do about all those that come here for help troubleshooting their prebuilt stuff? Without doing a tally, just from memory, I'd guess that most of those that come here for help are trying to fix prebuilt stuff, and not DIY kits--some scooters, some bikes, some other stuff.

If we want to discourage prebuilt stuff, should we ignore them, or help them but only enough so they are good to go? Or try to get them to DIY more on their stuff? Or just do what we've always done? Or what?

Sorry for the questions, I am kind of confused by things and just want to get a perfectly clear idea of how prebuilt stuff is supposed to be treated from now on. I don't want to guess and be wrong and screw things up for the way you guys want the forums to be run.

jonescg   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by jonescg » Apr 04 2021 7:44am

The evolution of DIY eh?

Happy to see a few threads nuked. They offer nothing new except more consipracy thories and wild politics.

But focus on DIY is good 👍

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Apr 04 2021 10:30am

amberwolf wrote:
Apr 04 2021 3:08am
If we don't want to encourage prebuilt stuff here, what do we do about all those that come here for help troubleshooting their prebuilt stuff? Without doing a tally, just from memory, I'd guess that most of those that come here for help are trying to fix prebuilt stuff, and not DIY kits--some scooters, some bikes, some other stuff.

If we want to discourage prebuilt stuff, should we ignore them, or help them but only enough so they are good to go? Or try to get them to DIY more on their stuff? Or just do what we've always done? Or what?
We should do what we've always done. You can come here and talk about your prebuilt all day but the forum categories and how the forum presents itself will be aimed at DIY better.. one way or another.

A lot of people come here with a prebuilt bike first before they start modifying things. They should be welcome as ever, but you know.. our members will naturally nudge them into building a better machine ;)
amberwolf wrote:
Sorry for the questions, I am kind of confused by things and just want to get a perfectly clear idea of how prebuilt stuff is supposed to be treated from now on. I don't want to guess and be wrong and screw things up for the way you guys want the forums to be run.
Hey no problem.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Apr 04 2021 12:23pm

jonescg wrote:
Apr 04 2021 7:44am
The evolution of DIY eh?
Happy to see a few threads nuked. They offer nothing new except more consipracy thories and wild politics.
But focus on DIY is good 👍
Happy to have the stamp of approval from an OG builder. 8)

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Apr 04 2021 4:49pm

It looks to me to be a good balance right now when it comes to the total # of categories.

I will continue to say, and remind other es users, do not have a prebuilt category to post in, and leave it as it is.
Why someone may ask?
I mean a prebuilt ebike is still an EBike.

Those who do come in with their prebuilts will just post in the respected category as it has been done in the past, they'd be posting in categories such as EBike General Discussion, EBike Technical, EBike Troubleshooting, EBike Non-hub Motor Drives, Battery Technology, Motor Technology.

The people who do come in here with their prebuilts don't even specify what they have most of the time. But neither do the new diy'ers.

And no I dont think the disabled people have been looked down on, I think those posts have been responded to in a helpful manner, yes more so then the prebuilt people. Maybe if some design factors can be added to the page to emphasize DIY.

I see the way it is currently at the header of the page is
"Endless Sphere" In big font
and underneath is "DIY Electric Vehicles and more.." in smaller font
and to the left of that, they're drowned out by phpbb in huge font.
Yes I know a new design is coming, and possibly new forum software with their new design quirks.
222.png

neptronix wrote:
Apr 03 2021 9:51am
markz wrote:
Apr 03 2021 4:38am
7 now for ebikes

I agree. The listing can't get too long or a majority of people's eyes glaze over.

Let me rethink this plan and present version 4 :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Apr 04 2021 5:51pm

amberwolf wrote:
If we want to discourage prebuilt stuff, should we ignore them, or help them but only enough so they are good to go?
Fixing things for yourself is inherently DIY; there's no reason to hold back from that.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » Apr 04 2021 7:28pm

Another thing you guys can look into and discuss is having a solved button for a posted thread. There are a few flavors when it comes to that, either the OP can mark solved, or a moderator can mark solved if its clear the original problem has been solved.

It may have already been discussed, I did a search within this thread using term solved, and searched user: neptronix term: solved and nothing came up. But other forums have used that method.

One thing I havent searched but came to mind is having a time lock on thread after 8 months or 1.5yrs or whatever.

Then theres having a two mouse clicks of a popup "are you sure you want to reply to a thread thats X-years old"