Sevcon Gen 4 Errors and Solutions thread

Any one encountered with
0x4F54 AUTOZERO RANGE ERROR
Is it a hardware malfunction ?

ewa1001 said:
Any one encountered with
Is it a hardware malfunction ?

Yes it is a hardware fault relating to the current sensors.

darseygodwin said:
2. Since I kept B- isolated from frame ground, I used bypass caps on both my encoder +/- and pack B+ to B-. This smoothed out that ground bounce so much I was able to open up the throttle to 500A for the first time since building this bike. I didn't have resistors to run parallel and properly filter the signal, but that's next. Plus I'll have to clean up the wiring a bit before going riding.

Finally, once that filter is properly set up I'll see if the contactor coils still cause significant noise, and if a similar filter will work on that coil if needed, I'll do the same there too.

Hello Darsey,
very interesting, one question:
You don't ground b- at the controller, but it is grounded at the battery pack, right?
You use a cap between b- and b+, which size you use?

Greetings, Michael

Hey @buddhafragt.
B- is not grounded to frame at any point for safety redundancy but is the base point for all of the high voltage stuff run off the controller. (Though lots of systems do have a frame grounded b-) It's a bit misleading when I called it "ground bounce". In the end, I was able to pull those caps off the system from both the pack and the encoder as I continued to shield more of the seemingly unrelated b- wires that were picking up all that noise I was trying to smooth with the caps. It was also pretty damn unsafe imo to have caps on my b+/b-, so I really didn't like that solution at the time. I used a supercap on the encoder and four x 250v, 1mF caps each for the pack.

Darsey

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

Hello Darsey,
if I understand you correctly, you have shielded the B-lines? How so?

If you do not put B- on the chassis, I would guess you have more noise on the frame!?
What safety advantage do you have by not connecting the frame to B-? (I guess you don't have a very high traction battery voltage).
greetings, Michael

buddhafragt said:
Hello Darsey,
if I understand you correctly, you have shielded the B-lines? How so?

If you do not put B- on the chassis, I would guess you have more noise on the frame!?
What safety advantage do you have by not connecting the frame to B-? (I guess you don't have a very high traction battery voltage).
greetings, Michael
Yes, all of my b- wires needed to be shielded. The noise comes from the three motor phase leads, even though they too are shielded. I'm using Champlain EXRAD cables, so they're well shielded too. My performance was better leaving the shielding ungrounded. as in, forget the notion of "give the noise a return path" but instead it's keeping the motor phase frequency off your traction pack voltage system because it affects the sin cos encoder directly via noise on the b- line.

Voltage level, I'm running a 32s pack, peak voltage limited to about 112v. Safety is because to get a shock, you need to contact two locations, not just one. If either b- or b+ shorts to frame, I get nothing more than a warning alarm on my display.

Honestly, I feel like it would've been much smarter if I used a different encoder from the start, and forget this hyper sensitive sin-cos business.

Darsey

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

Thanks for your answer,
but I dont understand: How a shield should work, if it is not grounded?

What kind of shorts detection circuit you use?

Michael

Any one encountered with 0x45ce VCAP VKEY DIFF? Is it a capacitor malfunction?

I can ride a motorcycle without problems, but the green LED lamp on SEVCON lights up 7 times. Any possible causes and the countermeasures?

Darseygodwin, How is it going. Are you still around and working on your Sevcon Bike Project?
Are you still working on it or did you finish it?
I am almost finished with my Bike after a couple years of engineering. Still not
perfect, but moving along. Designed for a 10 sec Battery swap, and all stock Yamaha
parts like Plastics, Seat and Seat Covers, Sprockets.. ect..

XEMX 9-25-2015 (7).jpg

Sevcon has been a pain and expensive as I have had to pay an Engineer to help
fine tune it continuously.
I have recently converted to Curtis and Had some Custom controllers made to get
more amps out of it. I am still working on intergrading them with my project, but as a
rep. for them I will soon be selling and supporting them, if all goes well.
Here is a You Tube link to short test clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twku6BUzc6k

Mark

Hello,
I try to get the ME1114 running with the GEN4, but I dont have the Firmware for PMAC motors.... can someone send me the fitting Firmware for the 80V/350A controller? :oops:

greetings, Michael

I’m getting same error I’m thinking the conformal coating I left on the internal grn support pad inside the controller needs to feel the screws contact with the board and heatsink. Can anyone confirm this to be my issue. I hate to open the damn thing again also if I add caps and resistors that are same value of the 80v version sevcon gen4 will I be able to increase the voltage from 48v to 80v? Thanks in advance

Back