Appel Electric Cruiser

Wow, flash from the past! I haven't seen this thread for a while!

Well, it's just a concept Kal EL, and mostly about the linear motor. Since it would be DIY, it could be taken apart and
cleaned often. The motor can probably get a little wet, as long as the iron is coated.

I think the bike looks cool too! But the motor idea was the main thing, and I think that it still has some merit, but it would
take more R&D time than I have to work it all out. I still give it some thought from time to time.

I did some Cad work on a concept, just to wrap my head around the thing a while back though. Didn't get very far.
Just a single cylinder,..theres an iron center slider, with magnets, and SMC cores, with electrical steel backs, (not shown).
All really easy stuff to make, the problem comes with the center slider needing to move freely, and not wear.
Maybe a throw away 3D printed sleeve.

Linear 3 phase motor..png

Just one cylinder, but it could be made like a multi cylinder radial engine too. All just a curiosity at this point. :)

APL said:
All really easy stuff to make, the problem comes with the center slider needing to move freely, and not wear.
Upper and lower rail with bearings?

Yea, that would do it AW, something like drawer sliders use, or maybe tiny little sealed bearings. I was thinking along the
lines of slippery plastics to make it easy for DIY, but bearings would keep the gaps for sure, and have less resistance.
It would probably hum like an electric razor 'without' bearings.

Don't make me drag this over to the Motor Tech category! My brain needs a rest from wires and phases... aaaaaah! :lol:

But seriously, from a DIY point of view, it's all squares and slabs for construction, (except for the crank), which is kind of
refreshing. And "cylinders", for lack of a better term, can be doubled or lengthened axial or radially.

It would probably work like an old steam locomotive, chunk-a, chunk-a, chunk-a,.. lots of stuff to contemplate.

Back