Votol EM-100 & EM-150 controllers

Hello everyone,

I have got myself a QS motor and Votol controller and have a couple of questions regarding their configuration.

Firstly my specs:

Battery: 48v 45aH (supports continuous delivery of 50a)
Motor: QS-Motor 1200W 48v magnets height - 27H; 28 magnet pairs
Controller: Votol EM-50s - supports up to 55A, 72v, 1200-2000w motors

My current controller settings as follow:
screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg
screenshot.3.jpg

1st speed
https://youtu.be/_dMACAwrANg

2nd speed
https://youtu.be/djvtXbACtq4

3rd speed
https://youtu.be/x0m6lIJ_8aE

My problem are:

1. It seems that the speed I have on my speedometer is far from the reality. I have tried to run on full speed with GPS on, and usually it is +10-15 km/h difference and it is actually feels that my bike goes faster than it is displayed on speedometer. Any way to fix this through controller settings? I have tried to change "Out-put" settings to "Hall speedometter" and back, to no avail.

2. It seems that I have high final speed, but my torque is somewhat, erm, not too weak, but kinda too soft/gentle (?) for my liking, it just takes a little bit long while motor gets up to speed. Without load, according to speedometer it goes over 100 (3rd video) on 3rd speed, but according to GPS with load (me - 85 kg + bike weight) the quickest I got is 62km/h on flat surface with 60-100% charge. Is there anything I should change optimize in my current settings to get better torque and final speed?

Привет , есть votol-150sp и 138 3000w мотор, мне кажется он настроен под em-100 , у меня bms с блютузом и я могу видеть сколько батарея отдаёт , в обычном режиме да 80 A, а в спорт режиме до 100A, может кто нибудь поделиться правильными настройками или bin файлом

Millhouse_5 said:
Hello again everyone, I'm having some issues with my bike cutting out whenever I give it much more then half throttle. It turns off entirely and requires the breakers to be reset to get the controller back online. I hooked up my current meter and turns out that im pulling over 100a on my em100 so its shutting itself off. I have the Busbar current set to only 30A so clearly I am missing something. How do I actually limit the current on this thing so I dont have to watch my power meter more than watching the road.

Edit: I tried putting it into sport mode and using the current limiting values there, but nothing changed. I'm still pulling over 100 amps if i just leave it at 100% throttle. it usually cuts out once the current goes too high, then acts like its in limp mode for the next 5 minutes or so after its been reset.

Managed to fix my problem and thought I'd share

Turned out that the motor thought it was running in reverse. I noticed this when the display page showed my RPM as a negative number.
I switched the Yellow/Blue hall sensor check box and the (if i remember correctly) green blue phase wire check box and it then showed positive rpm.
After that the current limiter worked perfectly as advertised. So for all those wondering, reverse has no current or speed limiting features. It will simply pull power until it goes into a protection mode and shuts itself off.

Hey guys,
It's been a long time since I started this thread.
I'm amazed by how many responses came on this thread. I've read a lot of good info here but don't understand ever chinglish terms and there are too many posts to read everything(sorry)..

I recently picked up on my project with the old version votol em100.
At this moment my bike is running, I'm using the bare minimum of the controller(throttle, low brake and e-lock). Recently i've connected the lcd of my ant bms to have a speedo using the yellow hall wire with succes.
I now have ordered the handlebar controls of a z6(wich uses a votol controller) and a votol programming cable and they have almost arrived! Wanting to connect every function the controller has to offer. And want to talk about the wiring first before starting to check the programming.

Still want to connect:
-high brake/regen, I know that the purple wire needs to be connected to a positive but is it a 12v positive or B+? Does this switch needs to be a potentiometer or just a pulse switch? What settings do I need to adjust and what values do I put in?

-reverse, since it's a 2 wire plug just connect a switch?

-three gear, where do I start?

-sport mode, where do I start?

This thread has to many replies to even start to read them all, i've read a lot but can't finish the whole thread(I'm sorry, I'm lacking time and concentation). Please feel free to refer me to a earlier helpfull responses...

I will try to do my best....

First, the high brake is connected to 12V trough a switch activated with the. Take lever or handle.

Reverse, sport mode and cruise mode are activated through switches to ground

Enviado desde mi SM-N960U mediante Tapatalk

okay, thanks.
so hi brake connect to 12v through switch, no potentiometer like some sort of throttle on your left hand? how can I enable regen?
20s li-ion battery
2000w qs middrive motor in swing arm
votol em100
can you refer or quote a correct answer?

Sopheus said:
Hello everyone,

I have got myself a QS motor and Votol controller and have a couple of questions regarding their configuration.

Firstly my specs:

Motor: QS-Motor 1200W 48v magnets height - 27H

screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg
screenshot.3.jpg

1st speed

2nd speed

3rd speed

My problem are:

1. It seems that the speed I have on my speedometer is far from the reality. I have tried to run on full speed with GPS on, and usually it is +10-15 km/h difference and it is actually feels that my bike goes faster than it is displayed on speedometer. Any way to fix this through controller settings? I have tried to change "Out-put" settings to "Hall speedometter" and back, to no avail.

2. It seems that I have high final speed, but my torque is somewhat, erm, not too weak, but kinda too soft/gentle (?) for my liking, it just takes a little bit long while motor gets up to speed. Without load, according to speedometer it goes over 100 (3rd video) on 3rd speed, but according to GPS with load (me - 85 kg + bike weight) the quickest I got is 62km/h on flat surface with 60-100% charge. Is there anything I should change optimize in my current settings to get better torque and final speed?

Anyone, please :cry:

Stefanj. said:
okay, thanks.
so hi brake connect to 12v through switch, no potentiometer like some sort of throttle on your left hand? how can I enable regen?
20s li-ion battery
votol em100
No, votol controllers don't use variable regen function. Just on/off. The amount of regen is programmed by software

Sopheus said:
Sopheus said:
Hello everyone,

Firstly my specs:

screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg
screenshot.3.jpg

1st speed

2nd speed

3rd speed

My problem are:

Well, it's an em 50 and not an em 100/150, that's what we're talking about here, actually !? If the settings are transferable, fine! But who knows? Your SW version is very new .... However, your settings partly look like older SW. The "newer" controllers are set differently! Go back one page, there you can read it .. And from page 48, approx. Leave this HDC out! You have no entry for hand throttle? And how can that work? Only with computer remote control? Which speedometer is used? QS? Which wheel size? It is best to invest some time reading here ... It really helps .. Are you really in China? You won, you can ask the guys from qs or votol .. And all of us here, the answers continue to reveal. That would be nice
😏

leyva.ale said:
Stefanj. said:
okay, thanks.
20s li-ion battery
votol em100
No, votol controllers don't use variable regen function. Just on/off. The amount of regen is programmed by software

how do I determine what values I need to put in? I want to try and use the regen brake to a complete stop and regenerate as much as possible.

Stefanj. said:
leyva.ale said:
Stefanj. said:
okay, thanks.
20s li-ion battery
votol em100

how do I determine what values I need to put in? I want to try and use the regen brake to a complete stop and regenerate as much as possible.
Usually between 15% -25% ... more than that is too much, very hard stop can be uncomfortable and the shaft and swingarm suffer

Paulflieg said:
Sopheus said:
Sopheus said:
Hello everyone,

Firstly my specs:

screenshot.1.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg
screenshot.3.jpg

1st speed

2nd speed

3rd speed

My problem are:

Well, it's an em 50 and not an em 100/150, that's what we're talking about here, actually !? If the settings are transferable, fine! But who knows? Your SW version is very new .... However, your settings partly look like older SW. The "newer" controllers are set differently! Go back one page, there you can read it .. And from page 48, approx. Leave this HDC out! You have no entry for hand throttle? And how can that work? Only with computer remote control? Which speedometer is used? QS? Which wheel size? It is best to invest some time reading here ... It really helps .. Are you really in China? You won, you can ask the guys from qs or votol .. And all of us here, the answers continue to reveal. That would be nice
😏

HDC works automatically when you go downhill, no need for any switches or buttons, when you go down the hill and you within a certain range speed motor slows down when it about to exceed that set speed range. I am riding on the street, so this function is actually helpful and does not affect torque or final speed.

All settings are transferable, no matter what model of controller you use, it is about specifications - How many current/voltage controller supports and what hardware you have (motor+battery) - I provided all these above.

I am in China, but those guys from QS are reluctant to reply, same as for you. I have reached out to them using Chinese through Wechat (local messenger) and they treat me with silence each time.

hello to all electric vehicle lovers! I recently had a problem with my controller votol 150. 2019 controller. I have burned out mosfet transistors in one phase. I replaced them and the controller worked. I rode for a week and they burned out again, but in a different phase. I changed the mosfet and after that the controller started to fall out into the "overcurrent" error. diagnostics showed that one of the phases of the lower arm does not work due to the punched leg of the microcontroller. so I ask for help. i want to change stm32f103c8t6 microcontroller, but i don't have microcontroller firmware. therefore I ask for help from experts with the firmware, more precisely with the (bin) file of the votol 150 firmware without the can bus. please give me the firmware. she has someone on the forum. i will flash the microcontroller and solder it and test it. :D :D :D

Attachments

• IMG_20210426_160700[1].jpg
    IMG_20210426_160700[1].jpg
    256 KB · Views: 1,863
  • IMG_20210426_163238[1].jpg
    IMG_20210426_163238[1].jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 1,864
When connected to the setup program, it is defined as votol em50 SW 2.32 HW 1.13. Some settings and port configuration settings are not saved.

Hey Guys,
I'm still not programming yet, still trying to understand most of the program. I'm reading a lot in the manual and in this thread but still haven't finished it yet.
Let's add some more comments now, haha.

Does anybody know the meaning of the small checkboxes at the port settings page(IO-SW-LA-F-U-D)? I'm very curious about this page since it can change the functions of every wire op the 8cable plug(by my understanding). Is there a list of explinations of every 56 functions?
Most of the functions aren't completly readable...I won't use the white cable for speedometer since I'm using the signal directly from the hall sensor wires. Maybe there's another interresting function I can use the white cable for?...?

у кого нибудь есть bin файл прошивки MCU контроллера votol em150 without can bus?

TEAM,
HAS anyone got the EM 150 to work with the SURRON X (light bee)? I just bought two thinking someone has but now I’m guessing not.. please help! Thanks 😊

Hi friends! Your help is needed again. For half a year I used the EM100S controller and it worked well, however I wanted more power and bought the EM150S. I received it yesterday and was unable to connect to my computer.
I've tried changing different software, swapping RX and TX but that doesn't help either. Any thoughts on this? I disassembled It looks very good with no damaged parts. When voltage is applied - I see 5 volts at the hall sensor connector, the low-voltage circuit is OK, what could be the problem?

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,561
  • photo_2021-06-16_12-02-30 (2).jpg
    photo_2021-06-16_12-02-30 (2).jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,561
  • photo_2021-06-16_12-02-29.jpg
    photo_2021-06-16_12-02-29.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,561
  • photo_2021-06-16_12-02-30.jpg
    photo_2021-06-16_12-02-30.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 1,560
  • photo_2021-06-16_12-02-31.jpg
    photo_2021-06-16_12-02-31.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 1,560
andreika1986 said:
hello to all electric vehicle lovers! I recently had a problem with my controller votol 150. 2019 controller. I have burned out mosfet transistors in one phase. I replaced them and the controller worked. I rode for a week and they burned out again, but in a different phase. I changed the mosfet and after that the controller started to fall out into the "overcurrent" error. diagnostics showed that one of the phases of the lower arm does not work due to the punched leg of the microcontroller. so I ask for help. i want to change stm32f103c8t6 microcontroller, but i don't have microcontroller firmware. therefore I ask for help from experts with the firmware, more precisely with the (bin) file of the votol 150 firmware without the can bus. please give me the firmware. she has someone on the forum. i will flash the microcontroller and solder it and test it. :D :D :D

It looks like I also have a faulty microcontroller, or faulty software. Can anyone help me get the firmware on the EM150S :idea: :roll:

UPD

I checked the power supply of the microcontroller, BCC and VDD voltage is 3.2 V, but the LED does not blink. Perhaps the microcontroller is defective or the wrong firmware is installed. Has anyone tried copying the firmware directly from the controller? Is this possible, or is there copy protection?

I just got the em150 with the 3kw swingarm kit.

I hooked up a 72v battery to the controller and I wired the grey/purple wire directly to the b+.

Is there any way to know the controller is on? I’m having difficulty connecting to it from my laptop using the app. It finds the com port but then won’t connect and gives the same error as the person above. Does the program work with windows 10?

squall333 said:
I just got the em150 with the 3kw swingarm kit.

I hooked up a 72v battery to the controller and I wired the grey/purple wire directly to the b+.

Is there any way to know the controller is on? I’m having difficulty connecting to it from my laptop using the app. It finds the com port but then won’t connect and gives the same error as the person above. Does the program work with windows 10?

Have you already swapped RX and TX? Is it the CAN bus variant? Which connection cable? Original? Which software?

The cable has 4 wires
White
Black
Red
Blue

Seems like normal usb to me. I didn’t mess with any of the wires on the cable yet. I’ve tried just about every version of the software ever made in every mode and every baud rate

Here’s my setup

Attachments

• 1FABDF24-7456-42E4-BE4C-3B4A2CAC7F68.jpeg
    1FABDF24-7456-42E4-BE4C-3B4A2CAC7F68.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 2C4E207A-0258-444A-BB0F-0EC0759E1694.jpeg
    2C4E207A-0258-444A-BB0F-0EC0759E1694.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 1,487
  • 810A304F-C5EF-448B-B12F-0489192F3844.jpeg
    810A304F-C5EF-448B-B12F-0489192F3844.jpeg
    257 KB · Views: 1,487
Thanks to everyone who helped out with this thread, final got around to giving a 138 70 and em150 their first run today and everything went great. Totally arse-clenching after all the horror stories of weird behaviour, comms issues and settings problems but they ran smooth on the settings as delivered, no problems connecting up and the changes to settings worked ok almost all times but needed a bit of persistence with a few (needed a few retrys to get out of "P"). Minor thing to add, the app ran fine for me under wine on linux, just needed to link ttyUSBx to a COM port with regedit.

Back