Ford etruck F-150 Lighting - Opinions?-

dequinox said:
Let's see you haul a horse or 1000lbs of cement on that thing, and then do it on a daily basis.
[...]
Also, your statement that the F-150 Lightning is "off limits to most people" because most people aren't self serving jerks is erroneous, and based on nothing concrete whatsoever.

I'm saying my bike and trailers are off limits to many people because you have to /not/ be an unethical self-serving jerk to go that way. Most people, clearly, are in it for themselves and the collapse of human society, because they drive cars. History will judge them.

Here's a trike and trailer rig I built to haul an eight piece jazz combo. I have used it to haul 3200 pounds of various stuff a few times. I'm not the guy in the picture, and I don't know how much weight he was hauling that day. He was helping move a community bike shop about three miles to a new location.

pols_portfolio13.jpg

I'd be willing to bet there are at least a thousand pickup trucks out there driving empty/loaded with douchebags' heavy egos, for every one that hauls 1000 pounds of cement on a daily basis.

There are several trucks on my street, and they sure look empty all the time :lol:
i always liked the El Camino since it drove like a car and could haul stuff :thumb:
and the old 80's Ford Ranger- a really small pick-up by todays standards.
BUT- the USA is a consumer culture, and to fit in most (not me) CONSUME as much as possible :roll:
AND that is part of the FREE CHOICE we all have as an American :bigthumb:
Lightening is a step in the right direction- some will get solar panels to charge them, another step in the right direction :thumb:
Just got home on my bike with sweet potatoes and onions - Americans need to get more exercise and eat more vegetables :bigthumb:

nicobie said:
Chalo, If nothing else, getting a electric vehicle in the hands of some of our redneck brothers so they can experience an alternate mode of transportation will be beneficial to our planet's wellbeing in the long run. It's one way to show them what they are missing. They might be slow, but at least some of them aren't stupid.

Yeah i agree with this. A fairly impressive and economically priced ( a mid range ford f-150 with less power is MORE expensive ) electric version of a SUPER popular vehicle here actively tempts a segment of the population that usually rejects EVs into owning one.

I don't think it's in good taste to moralize and shame them when a great opportunity to join the revolution and take a baby step into using more efficient transport is now presented..

Chalo said:
I'd be willing to bet there are at least a thousand pickup trucks out there driving empty/loaded with douchebags' heavy egos, for every one that hauls 1000 pounds of cement on a daily basis.

You have to be trolling, because you are smarter than that. Is your ego so big that you feel that you are better person than someone else just because they drive a pickup truck to work and you ride your bike? Maybe they drive that truck to the local food bank after work with a truckload of groceries. Maybe they use that truck to haul their boat to the lake with their wife and two kids to have some fun on the weekend and build some family memories. If you truly believe that makes them douchebags, then you haven't got a good understanding of human nature.

Me? I only know what I see with my own eyes about what their trucks are carrying (almost always nothing), and how they drive (like jerks).

It's nauseating to be reminded that most of them are reproducing. Seems like we haven't a chance.

My vehicle usually holds equipment more valuable than it is. A cargo bike can barely prevent it's own theft let alone protect my equipment.
I regularly drive +200 miles a day round trip. My time is valuable, I'm not going to waste 3 days on the same trip just to defend some questionable moral high ground.

As usual urban core dwellers are attempting to apply their narrow life experience to those who do not live within a small geographical area that serves all their needs. I'd rather live in a shack in the woods then in a large city.

Chalo said:
Me? I only know what I see with my own eyes about what their trucks are carrying (almost always nothing), and how they drive (like jerks).

It's nauseating to be reminded that most of them are reproducing. Seems like we haven't a chance.

Yes, you know what you see and you don't know what you can't see. Is that person on his way to pick up a new refrigerator at Home Depot with that empty truck? Maybe that person only hauls stuff on the weekends with the truck but drives it to work during the week because he can't afford to buy a second car and pay insurance for it. I am sure you have seen pickup drivers drive like jerks and others that drive courteously. You have also seen cyclists ride like jerks, as I have, running red lights and stop signs. Faulty generalization from limited data is a trap for the weak minded.

Grantmac said:
I regularly drive +200 miles a day round trip.

Yep. Part of the predicament we all have to suffer in, whether or not we caused it.

You can let yourself off the hook for doing wrong, but don't bother asking me to.

Chalo said:
. ....Most people, clearly, are in it for themselves and the collapse of human society, because they drive cars. ...
You really do have an “ass backwards” handle on this.
Cheap, available transport for the masses, is what has built our human societies to where we are.
Vehicles, ICE motors, CO2, etc , wont be the downfall of society, but what will is our failure to continue to provide cheap available energy to the population, rather than just to those who can afford it

Good discussion/review of the Lightning :bigthumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLolkfOTcgw

dequinox said:
Again, you're showing a microcosm from your own life and applying the context and implied morality of it to the world at large. That's a false equivalency.
He's coming from a different angle than that.

He thinks ALL conventional road vehicles (cars, trucks, SUV's etc) are, in his words, "murdermobiles." They are owned by selfish jerks who want to destroy the planet, period. Makes no difference whether they are driving themselves to work 5 miles, taking four kids 15 miles to school or a contractor carrying half a ton of spare parts and tools. There's no nuance there; no gradations of morality or intent.

(Not trying to defend that position, just pointing it out.)

I think the groundbreaking electric truck deserves a lot more attention here.

What i'm really curious is, what do you think is more likely to lead to a mass electrification of trucks..
The Cybertruck or the F150?

Here's Ford's take:
[youtube]-nci3x5lW2c[/youtube]

I think that since this is America's most popular vehicle ( by sales numbers )... if this truck sells well, is reliable, etc..
..then this vehicle itself could be a catalyst to mass scale electrification in the USA.

This is a pretty big deal and i don't even like Ford and would never own one. I'm just talking sheer amount of impact it could have.

When you consider the tax credit, the truck comes at only $4k more expensive than the base model F150, and that means a lot of prospective truck owners could afford such a beast and have their first real experience with a high power electric vehicle.

I think it's very likely that this vehicle is more of a game changer than some of Tesla's automobiles. The only question is whether Tesla will win the race for sales.

To be honest, I don't see the point of Tesla's truck. Way too expensive for what it does. I do like that it is aluminum and won't rot out on the eastern salted roads as fast.

I agree that the F-150 might be a game changer. It all depends on how well Ford executes. Even if it turns out to be only average, I don't think Ford will be able to keep up with the demand. With tens of thousands already pre-ordered, I'll bet we see price increases soon.

Yes, that Volt was a steal (why no more GM?)..
.....but it only has a 16 kWh pack, so not as much cost in the pack.
Current assembled/installed pack costs are around $200/kWh at best, so that Ford must have $20-25k of battery on board.
That doesnt leave much for the rest of the drive train, let alone the base truck itself ?

Matt Gruber said:
With a cheap (yes they are cheap now) back yard (no permits needed) solar set up, you can charge an ev for free ..... 8) ..
...?? Interesting,.tell me where you can get a suitable ..5-10kW ?...solar set up for free ? ...
..... ( otherwise your charging is not “free”,...just pre paid ! )

nicobie said:
To be honest, I don't see the point of Tesla's truck. Way too expensive for what it does. I do like that it is aluminum and won't rot out on the eastern salted roads as fast.

It's stainless steel, which is even better in that regard. And it's unit body construction, so at least some of the structural elements are stainless.

I'm a bit perplexed by why the Tesla truck is getting a chassis with a much longer prospective service life than any of the interior furnishings, sensors, processors, or batteries in the thing. Are they expecting folks to throw away mechanically sound trucks when the sophisticated control systems crap out, or is there some plan to rebuild the old bodies with new hearts and brains?

If Tesla doesn't address the issue, the aftermarket surely will. There will be battered old Tesla trucks with the guts of forklifts or Nissan Leafs stuffed into them.

nicobie said:
15 years from now maybe the Tesla truck will be like the 55-57 Chevy Belaire's were to the teens in the 60&70's.
Err ?..No !.....it doesnt have “Style” enough for that kind if lasting appeal.
..More likely they could end up like that row of Caddy’s buried nose down in the desert Like e tomb stones.
.......yes !..the stainless , shapeless body , would work well like that !
A fitting epitaph to a styling fail.
hAhdHp.jpg

That's pretty much what I'm seeing too. I only wanted to address what was said rather than assume the position I was guessing was what you said below. Sometimes you can't debate a point with someone that feels so strongly about it.

I guess we should all be on bicycles with trailers and take all day or several days to move heavy things. Our families should be out pedaling in the rain and snow whether our commute is 2 miles or 20. Need to visit family across state? Plan to use 6 weeks of PTO to get you there and back!

:roll:

JackFlorey said:
He's coming from a different angle than that.

He thinks ALL conventional road vehicles (cars, trucks, SUV's etc) are, in his words, "murdermobiles." They are owned by selfish jerks who want to destroy the planet, period. Makes no difference whether they are driving themselves to work 5 miles, taking four kids 15 miles to school or a contractor carrying half a ton of spare parts and tools. There's no nuance there; no gradations of morality or intent.

(Not trying to defend that position, just pointing it out.)

Hillhater said:
...?? Interesting,.tell me where you can get a suitable ..5-10kW ?...solar set up for free ? ...
Fascinating that you spent the time to write out that answer, but did not take the time to read his post where he used the word "cheap!"

Back