em3ev.com - UPDATED August 2022 - ISSUE RESOLVED

dean74

1 mW
UPDATE AUGUST 2022:

Paul from EM3EV has eventually gotten back to me and refunded both the defective battery and charger.
Very unusual to get product support after so much time has passed (2 years), but it seems Paul is keen on making things right, which I respect.
I cant fault the final outcome, so have removed the original post.

They are very well respected here

in fact can hardly think of a vendor with a better reputation.

This industry set such a low bar though.

Who do you think does better?

EM3EV seems to have changed, I don't know why. They are no longer supplying Mac motors, and their available stock has decreased.
Just spotted this on their website "200+ MILLION CUSTOMERS; 1800+ TEAM MEMBERS; 24HR SUPPORT AVAILABLE; 99% POSITIVE REVIEWS" which sounds a bit weird.

They used to be very proactive and reliable

that would be a damn shame

tough to give great service in a market ruled by low price

I too am having problems with EM3ev - both charger & battery I bought are defective & customer support is slow to zero. Have a read about my issues here:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=111566

PRW said:
EM3EV seems to have changed, I don't know why. They are no longer supplying Mac motors, and their available stock has decreased.
Just spotted this on their website "200+ MILLION CUSTOMERS; 1800+ TEAM MEMBERS; 24HR SUPPORT AVAILABLE; 99% POSITIVE REVIEWS" which sounds a bit weird.

They used to be very proactive and reliable

We stopped supplying Mac kits as there were too many issues of 1 sort or another, we stopped offering them some time back (due to situations such as the OP). We stopped supplying the Ebike Frames and the high power kits to go with them too, for similar reasons. These products required too much support and the problems are too difficult to resolve remotely. They became more trouble than they are worth to us as a company and we do not have the customer support to deal with these long drawn out difficult to resolve issues.

We manufacture batteries, that is our business and our primary focus. We are very busy manufacturing batteries and supplying to some large customers for applications other than ebikes. Our busi9ness has grown, we have expanded steadily in rescent years, we are certainly not in decline. We do supply some ebike kits, but have simplified down to just the Bafang Middle motors as although they are not 100% reliable, they are not too bad and if they do fail, the issues are generally not too difficult to resolve.

The OP did receive a replacement battery according to his description. I am not familiar with all the details of his experiences. A Mac motor with a 40A controller needs a little mechanical sympathy (and it is a bit twitchy), we should have stopped offering such combinations a lot earlier than we did, we did stop supplying them some time ago already. A 300USD controller with less power, instead of a 100USD 2000W controller would work better for sure. The Mac is a difficult motor to drive. If you rag a Mac hard with 2000W or more, things can wear out and break.

We used to list everything on the website and then build stuff to order. We now do not offer batteries, that are not already built and ready to ship, to avoid customer delays.

In case you've fast forwarded to the end...

the original issues have been resolved personally by Paul from EM3EV, and while it took a long time for this to happen, I respect the way Paul is trying to make things right, so have removed the relevant posts.

If going forward the business continues to provide support in the no bullshit way this was eventually handled, then I'd consider buying from them again.

Hi Dean,

I’m very happy we could get the matter resolved. I’ve let others manage aspects of the business and haven’t put enough attention on the retail side of things in recent times.

Frankly the combination of parts that we supplied as a kit (to you and others) was rather on the extreme side with a controller that’s overly powerful for the motor and the small capacity (but high power) battery. Such a powerful controller has large capacitors that have huge current inrush which is difficult to manage in the BMS. Customers would always want the most powerful, and would generally be happy with it, but then others might not appreciate the aggressive power delivery, not to mention the fact that putting high power into a geared hub motor will cause increased wear or failure to the gears/clutch or even the motor structure if used at high power for long periods.

The BMS in the battery needs to be able to survive abuse such as being shorted so short circuit protection needs to be in place (batteries can be trashed if your controller fails and goes dead short, or maybe diy cabling gets shorted, or such like). Even with the pre charge function in the BMS (BMS does include pre charge function or else you can’t have an effective short circuit protection) you can still end up having a short circuit trip on startup, due to the very large capacitors (500A plus is normal), which didn’t get close to fully charged during the 0.25s pre charge cycle on startup. These false trips on startup are easy enough to resolve with a setting change in the smart BMS (not easy for customer to do), or using a smaller controller, or connecting the ALREADY POWERED ON BATTERY (not power on when connected) to the controller via a pre charge connector such as xt90 (not a solution but more a workaround until a proper solution is applied).

Back