My 1st ebike, Pls Help Verify Kit/Info Before I Buy

I can't tell how much your specs have evolved since your initial post, but doesn't seem like you are cutout for the realities of DIY, at least at this time. I wouldn't usually recommend this, but maybe it would be best for you to get your feet wet with something that fits within your budget, but relaxing your requirements just so you can start off with ebikes. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Macwheel-Electric-Advanced-Brushless-Teenagers/dp/B08D3T2H1S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Great customer reviews, and no mention of fires in the Q&A or the reviews. Cast wheels so you don't need to worry about spokes. Only minor assembly required and comes with tools. Rear wheel hub, and no need to worry about torque arms at this power level. Meets your range requirements with pedaling/PAS, light/transportable, battery included.

E-HP said:
I can't tell how much your specs have evolved since your initial post, but doesn't seem like you are cutout for the realities of DIY, at least at this time. I wouldn't usually recommend this, but maybe it would be best for you to get your feet wet with something that fits within your budget, but relaxing your requirements just so you can start off with ebikes. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Macwheel-Electric-Advanced-Brushless-Teenagers/dp/B08D3T2H1S/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Great customer reviews, and no mention of fires in the Q&A or the reviews. Cast wheels so you don't need to worry about spokes. Only minor assembly required and comes with tools. Rear wheel hub, and no need to worry about torque arms at this power level. Meets your range requirements with pedaling/PAS, light/transportable, battery included.

I'm not mechanically illiterate - I'm reasonably confident I could do any of the assembly required eventually. The thing I'm not cut out for is the terrifyingly high budget requirements. I have a bike already so... buying another one doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. A part of the reason I wanted to embark on this journey was that I could have the experience of working on an interesting project - namely assembling the bike. I think, probably, that just getting the ebikeling kit w/battery is my overall safest option. I think part of the fun will be riding around and knowing "yeah, I assembled this" - which is kind of cool. However, one of the main reasons is that the bicycle is soon to be my main method of transportation for at least a year or three so if I can develop the technical skills necessary to do maintenance on the bike myself that would be a good start on the road to saving money for a better means of transportation. Ideally, the ebike would be that better means of transportation but, well, I won't know for sure until I've been on the road a few months - probably. I already know it isn't an instant "no" so there's that.

Thank you for the suggestion! I didn't even know they made functional ebikes for that cheap!

:lol: the heart of electricbike is the battery. Find out what sells they put in your battery Samsung 29 e Panasonic or LG but what LG Panasonic .it's more like you Lee if he has good quality cells and not Chinese clone's he will make a better battery with a better BMS and he would be proud he would be proud to tell you what exact cells are in the battery.

DearDeathDay said:
However, one of the main reasons is that the bicycle is soon to be my main method of transportation for at least a year or three so if I can develop the technical skills necessary to do maintenance on the bike myself that would be a good start on the road to saving money for a better means of transportation.

OK, then you should be more confident that the risks are almost totally under your control, and if you are worried about things like battery fires, you should take the recommended precautions and you should be fine. It's all about how much risk YOU are willing to accept.

Based on reading these forums for a few years, it's very rare to hear of a battery combusting spontaneously while riding. Not unheard of, but rare compared to a battery catching fire while charging. Running lipos are another story, since you could damage them in a crash, and they could start a big blaze.

So, you can decide:
Charge outside, away from anything that could catch fire
Charge indoors and stay present to monitor during the charge
Charge using some sort of enclosure (fireplace, BBQ, etc.), decide whether you need to be present or accept the risk of a contained fire (smoke damage would still suck)
Or any combination of charging methods. The first two being most common if you want to be safest.

I am generally present when charging indoors, go touch the battery frequently to make sure it's not getting hot, and step away occasionally, accepting the small risk that something may happen when I step away.

Just know the risks, and identify your comfort level; not difficult.

8 years ago when I work for a pedago shop. I warned the owner that if he doesn't have proper insurance they should all go in a fire box with an outside vent. Why because they made shity batteries and they use the cheapest derailleur the cheapest brakes and the cheapest batteries. Pedago is a big company and had to go with a better battery manufacturer so they would stop having battery fires now with all the ones they sold they didn't have very many fires. But even a big-name company could put out junk. Just ask him what exact cells are they using in there battery pack and don't let him tell you proprietary.
It was a hard pill for them to swallow.

DearDeathDay said:
I'm not mechanically illiterate - I'm reasonably confident I could do any of the assembly required eventually.
Ok, sorry (I'll apologize for the others too), it's just that many of your previous questions threw us.

So you are mechanically literate as you say. Successfully putting together a reliable e-bike out of e-parts (possibly from disparate sources because of budget constraints) and an existing bike (of unknown quality) requires more than general mechanical literacy. Needs bicycle-specific wrenching knowledge and experience and some specialized tools in addition to electrical best practices knowledge and associated tools and how to use them.

Not impossible, especially if your mechanical literacy is deep. Might take a while. Remember you will have to invest in some quality tools also. Maybe you want to start watching some Park Tools videos (start with their wheel truing videos?) and some (vehicle, not house) electrical wiring and crimping best practices videos. Since it's a good idea to waterproof the e-bits on an e-bike, try to find those pertaining to boats or a marine environment, or come to think of it, aviation. Also, read up on how to use your DVOM.

Again, sorry for miscategorizing your skill level.

999zip999 said:
:lol: the heart of electricbike is the battery. Find out what sells they put in your battery Samsung 29 e Panasonic or LG but what LG Panasonic .it's more like you Lee if he has good quality cells and not Chinese clone's he will make a better battery with a better BMS and he would be proud he would be proud to tell you what exact cells are in the battery.

Okay... I think I understand... a good battery is important? Yeah... I can totally agree with that!

E-HP said:
OK, then you should be more confident that the risks are almost totally under your control, and if you are worried about things like battery fires, you should take the recommended precautions and you should be fine. It's all about how much risk YOU are willing to accept.

Based on reading these forums for a few years, it's very rare to hear of a battery combusting spontaneously while riding. Not unheard of, but rare compared to a battery catching fire while charging. Running lipos are another story, since you could damage them in a crash, and they could start a big blaze.

So, you can decide:
Charge outside, away from anything that could catch fire
Charge indoors and stay present to monitor during the charge
Charge using some sort of enclosure (fireplace, BBQ, etc.), decide whether you need to be present or accept the risk of a contained fire (smoke damage would still suck)
Or any combination of charging methods. The first two being most common if you want to be safest.

I am generally present when charging indoors, go touch the battery frequently to make sure it's not getting hot, and step away occasionally, accepting the small risk that something may happen when I step away.

Just know the risks, and identify your comfort level; not difficult.

Yeah! That sums up my options pretty well. Getting some kind of fire-proof toolbox etc. to store the battery in when charging is probably my best bet all around. I can't be watching it the whole time if I charge it outside due to logistical concerns. And yeah, you are correct - I just have to be somewhat careful, that'll let me avoid most of the problems. Just be careful... and don't cheap out on the battery. Easy enough to follow...

999zip999 said:
8 years ago when I work for a pedago shop. I warned the owner that if he doesn't have proper insurance they should all go in a fire box with an outside vent. Why because they made shity batteries and they use the cheapest derailleur the cheapest brakes and the cheapest batteries. Pedago is a big company and had to go with a better battery manufacturer so they would stop having battery fires now with all the ones they sold they didn't have very many fires. But even a big-name company could put out junk. Just ask him what exact cells are they using in there battery pack and don't let him tell you proprietary.
It was a hard pill for them to swallow.

Alright, yeah. Asking what cells are in the pack isn't a terrible idea and probably a good way to quickly check if the seller is legit!

99t4 said:
Ok, sorry (I'll apologize for the others too), it's just that many of your previous questions threw us.

So you are mechanically literate as you say. Successfully putting together a reliable e-bike out of e-parts (possibly from disparate sources because of budget constraints) and an existing bike (of unknown quality) requires more than general mechanical literacy. Needs bicycle-specific wrenching knowledge and experience and some specialized tools in addition to electrical best practices knowledge and associated tools and how to use them.

Not impossible, especially if your mechanical literacy is deep. Might take a while. Remember you will have to invest in some quality tools also. Maybe you want to start watching some Park Tools videos (start with their wheel truing videos?) and some (vehicle, not house) electrical wiring and crimping best practices videos. Since it's a good idea to waterproof the e-bits on an e-bike, try to find those pertaining to boats or a marine environment, or come to think of it, aviation. Also, read up on how to use your DVOM.

Again, sorry for miscategorizing your skill level.

No worries! I'm not a master or anything, I just have the frame of reference necessary to develop the skills necessary for the assembly without too much trouble - at least, as far as I can tell... None of it seems too difficult or out of the picture. I could even probably put the battery together myself if I wanted - I just wouldn't trust its craftsmanship owing to my never having directly worked with batteries before... I think I've mentioned it before but part of the reason why I wanted to work on this is because I thought the challenge of putting the bike together would be interesting and, dare I say, somewhat entertaining.

Some of my enthusiasm for the project has died off after everything... we'll see what the budget looks like in a month or two and work from there. That's the only rational way I can go about this, I think, with everything I have learned here and elsewhere on the internet.

I don't know that much about ebikes but I'm pretty sure I'm at the point where I'm not missing the root of any significant issues - like, I know what I don't know; if that makes sense. Well, hopefully anyways.

goatman said:
youre going to analysis paralysis your summer away :lol:

Its certainly looking that way! Not a bad way to go...

999zip999 said:
Sale! Calibike
Electric Bicycle ebike 52V 15AH Lithium (Li-ion) Battery and Charger 1 YR Warranty
$525.00 $400.00

Neat! Too bad sales always make me more indecisive lol

It's like; why is it on sale? Is there something wrong with it? Was I being overcharged before? Who knows...

DearDeathDay said:
It's like; why is it on sale? Is there something wrong with it? Was I being overcharged before? Who knows...
Maybe they have to pay rent, maybe the market changed, maybe they are overstocked, lots of reasons. You could ask them. :wink:

If you are in the USA, dealing with a USA vendor can be more attractive in many aspects. Easier communication, faster/ less expensive shipping, better possible problem resolution, supporting (somewhat more) local business, etc.

DearDeathDay said:
goatman said:
youre going to analysis paralysis your summer away :lol:

Its certainly looking that way! Not a bad way to go...

After 4 pages of posts, it really doesn't take a genius to figure out that you're probably never going to pull the trigger.
:lol:

999zip999 said:
Seems like your chewing on a tough piece of meat.
what are you thinking ?

Well, right now I'm still exploring my options and learning about ebikes in general. That's just my usual paranoia! q:

99t4 said:
Maybe they have to pay rent, maybe the market changed, maybe they are overstocked, lots of reasons. You could ask them. :wink:

If you are in the USA, dealing with a USA vendor can be more attractive in many aspects. Easier communication, faster/ less expensive shipping, better possible problem resolution, supporting (somewhat more) local business, etc.

That is very true! I'll probably not be ordering any sketchy things off of ebay... even if its cheaper...

E-HP said:
After 4 pages of posts, it really doesn't take a genius to figure out that you're probably never going to pull the trigger.
:lol:

With the actual budget requirements, I definitely won't be getting until a few more months from now! I'm super grateful for all the advise! I really want to make the right decision!

DearDeathDay said:
That is very true! I'll probably not be ordering any sketchy things off of ebay... even if its cheaper...

Actually, I prefer ebay since feedback actually matters and sellers want to protect their ratings. Not many other businesses can be impacted as much by buyer feedback. I'd buy from ebay before ordering from China, or from a lot of US sellers, where feedback doesn't matter or gets lost among other feedback. (I'm struggling to think of which parts I haven't bought from ebay; but maybe a switch or hand grips, or other misc items I ordered from Amazon instead).

E-HP said:
Actually, I prefer ebay since feedback actually matters and sellers want to protect their ratings. Not many other businesses can be impacted as much by buyer feedback. I'd buy from ebay before ordering from China, or from a lot of US sellers, where feedback doesn't matter or gets lost among other feedback. (I'm struggling to think of which parts I haven't bought from ebay; but maybe a switch or hand grips, or other misc items I ordered from Amazon instead).

For certain things I can totally agree with that sentiment! However, a lot of the parts I've looked at have also met that "from China" tick box. Combing things from China and on ebay... not a great idea for safely purchasing anything... at least as far as I can tell!

DearDeathDay said:
E-HP said:

For certain things I can totally agree with that sentiment! However, a lot of the parts I've looked at have also met that "from China" tick box. Combing things from China and on ebay... not a great idea for safely purchasing anything... at least as far as I can tell!

I have bought quite a few small parts on eBay that ship from China without a problem. Things like handlebar mounted switches and buck converters. I haven't had any problems and the parts weren't that expensive. The downside is that it can take a few weeks to get the parts. Most of the time (but not always) you can get the same part on Amazon shipped from the US, but it is more expensive. You can also save some money buying European made parts directly from EU sellers. Even after shipping, it is cheaper to buy B&M headlights directly from Germany and those usually ship quickly.

RunForTheHills said:
I have bought quite a few small parts on eBay that ship from China without a problem. Things like handlebar mounted switches and buck converters. I haven't had any problems and the parts weren't that expensive. The downside is that it can take a few weeks to get the parts. Most of the time (but not always) you can get the same part on Amazon shipped from the US, but it is more expensive. You can also save some money buying European made parts directly from EU sellers. Even after shipping, it is cheaper to buy B&M headlights directly from Germany and those usually ship quickly.

Oh? Maybe the horror stories I've heard were a bit exaggerated...

DearDeathDay said:
Oh? Maybe the horror stories I've heard were a bit exaggerated...

I can't say that I haven't been ripped off by someone on eBay before. It is pretty rare if you look at feedback scores and are careful, but it happens. However, all of my transactions with Chinese sellers have been pretty good. Most of them are very high volume sellers and have a lot of feedback. I wouldn't buy an expensive name brand product from such a seller as counterfeit knock offs are common.

I've had a 52v 28ah UPP battery for 3 years now, it has LGMJ1 cells and is a superb battery. I would definitely vouch for UPP, no question!
Good luck

RunForTheHills said:
I can't say that I haven't been ripped off by someone on eBay before. It is pretty rare if you look at feedback scores and are careful, but it happens. However, all of my transactions with Chinese sellers have been pretty good. Most of them are very high volume sellers and have a lot of feedback. I wouldn't buy an expensive name brand product from such a seller as counterfeit knock offs are common.

Ahh well, it is Ebay after all. You're only as safe as you make yourself.

CreativeSource said:
I've had a 52v 28ah UPP battery for 3 years now, it has LGMJ1 cells and is a superb battery. I would definitely vouch for UPP, no question!
Good luck

That's always good to hear! Even after everything UPP is still the cheapest option. If I do get a fire proof charging setup then the added range might even be worth the chance of it catching on fire!

DearDeathDay said:
Ahh well, it is Ebay after all. You're only as safe as you make yourself.

Costco has a great return policy. You can get their ebike and start having fun, while saving up for the next bike:
https://www.costco.com/jetson-bolt-pro-folding-electric-bike.product.100712067.html

Lot's of YouTube reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuRcbRVeAWU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgAlBVLoQfs
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jetson+ebike

I think I need one of these. Easy to throw in the trunk when going places. Probably good for a pit bike when camping out at the races. And for the upgrade path, I think it can easily fit a 48V 20Ah battery where the stock one is, plus a 20A controller replacement... :bolt: :bolt:

E-HP said:
Costco has a great return policy. You can get their ebike and start having fun, while saving up for the next bike:
https://www.costco.com/jetson-bolt-pro-folding-electric-bike.product.100712067.html

Lot's of YouTube reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuRcbRVeAWU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgAlBVLoQfs
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jetson+ebike

I think I need one of these. Easy to throw in the trunk when going places. Probably good for a pit bike when camping out at the races. And for the upgrade path, I think it can easily fit a 48V 20Ah battery where the stock one is, plus a 20A controller replacement... :bolt: :bolt:

Neat! I'm definitely gonna avoid a pre-built bike tho - unless it involves trading my current bike in. I 100% don't need 2 bikes! I'll probably go for a geared rear hub so the weight is all the in the battery and I can pedal normally if necessary. I'm totally stoked to look at a billion different ebikes tho, if you have any other interesting ones your looking at!

DearDeathDay said:
Neat! I'm definitely gonna avoid a pre-built bike tho - unless it involves trading my current bike in. I 100% don't need 2 bikes! I'll probably go for a geared rear hub so the weight is all the in the battery and I can pedal normally if necessary. I'm totally stoked to look at a billion different ebikes tho, if you have any other interesting ones your looking at!

I was going to check it out at Costco yesterday, but the weather told me to go riding instead. I'm not paying the current listed price, since it seems to go on sale and some people have gotten them for $50 less. Of course, there's the Costco impulse buy factor that I'll have to fight off. :confused:

Back