Best Mid-drive Motors in 2021

https://www.trial-bikes.com/en/bike-trials-cranks/

Trials cranks will do what you want while not needing to cut off the spider.

Actually it's been a while since I looked at trials cranks and now I see that they are available in BB30 with a Shimano splined interface to a freewheel. That opens up a lot of interesting possibilities for various DIY mid-drives.

The Bafang BBSHD has been great for me plus there are all kinds of upgrades available from Luna, Grin Tech, and other companies. California Ebike carries every part in the motor should you ever need to replace anything and other companies carry the common stuff. Lekkie sells the motor sprockets from 28 teeth on up. Very simple to install with the only exposed gears being the sprocket on the motor that drives the chain...unlike some other kits like the Lightning Rod that has several exposed gears, chains, belts. BUT you are going to need more power if you are going to maintain speeds over 50 kph. With a high amperage controller you can easily maintain over 50 kph but the motor temps may be an issue...I don't know.

If I wanted to maintain more than 50 kph and use a mid drive, I'd go with one of the Lightning Rod kits.

A better and simpler choice for higher speeds is a Direct Drive motor.

My choices would be a mid drive for anything off road (because you can get the gearing you want/need), a MAC if you want to go less than 50 kph on pavement (higher acceleration per amp than any IGH or DD ebike motor), and a Direct Drive if you want to go over 50 kph on pavement (simple and won't over heat).

Yes it does have an internal gearbox reduction. Hills are no issue, especially if you shift the bike's gears appropriately.

azad said:
Compoundbike said:
CYC X1 Pro has a torque-sensing and has more power then a bafang.

It doesn't seem to have a gear box. Wonder how it would fare uphill. Also I notice a chain drive, these kinds are noisy and chain derailing can happen as well. I had a similar setup in the past it was very painful.

Grantmac said:
https://www.trial-bikes.com/en/bike-trials-cranks/

Trials cranks will do what you want while not needing to cut off the spider.

Actually it's been a while since I looked at trials cranks and now I see that they are available in BB30 with a Shimano splined interface to a freewheel. That opens up a lot of interesting possibilities for various DIY mid-drives.
Thank you for posting the link. I was looking for something like that.
I build a medium power electric bike and now I'm working on 4-5 Kw version. It should be good for 45 - 50 mph.
The one on the photo is good for 30 mph and can climb a tree.
Avian with the battey installed..JPG

raylo32 said:
Vaporware??

Deafcat said:
what could it be :?:

No sir! The motor is already in six bikes with 30 more in production. I will share more details when the time is right, very soon!

Our team is very hard at work ensuring this is the absolute best mid-drive ebike drivetrain available in North America, and testing against the best offerings from Bafang in particular. I have been absolutely blown away by the latest ride-testing experiences. Fierce performance particularly in steep grade climbing and rough terrain at high speed, without a single mechanical downtime. Maximum fun times, personally I've never had so much fun with fast, uninterrupted climbing, almost better than rapid descents!

Words, words, words are cheap. Like I said, vaporware!

Deafcat said:
No sir! The motor is already in six bikes with 30 more in production. I will share more details when the time is right, very soon!

Our team is very hard at work ensuring this is the absolute best mid-drive ebike drivetrain available in North America, and testing against the best offerings from Bafang in particular. I have been absolutely blown away by the latest ride-testing experiences. Fierce performance particularly in steep grade climbing and rough terrain at high speed, without a single mechanical downtime. Maximum fun times, personally I've never had so much fun with fast, uninterrupted climbing, almost better than rapid descents!

raylo32 said:
Words, words, words are cheap. Like I said, vaporware!

Apologies, words will simply have to suffice until we're prepared to release information officially. This is not a personal venture and even if it were, I wouldn't be willing to spill the beans until bikes have been in reviewers hands and bikes/motors in stock to sell :wink:

Deafcat...how can we keep up with the latest info on the bikes you mentioned?

Depending on what they are and how they turn out, I may be interested in buying one.

Thanks

You want to buy a balloon full of vapor?? ;)

Bullfrog said:

Depending on what they are and how they turn out, I may be interested in buying one.

Thanks

raylo32 said:
You want to buy a balloon full of vapor?? ;)

Bullfrog said:

Thanks

Just reserving judgement until I see what they have to offer.

every ebike is different just like tennis shoes you need to find someone who sells them go out try it right and see what you think there are people who sell fast ebikes.
Where where where the stealth B-52 has free test drives in my neighborhood. See if he even like going that fast

999zip999 said:
just get this one.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=113619
That is not a mid-drive and probably weighs a ton.
But it looks fast so why not. :D

Whoops it looked and sounded fast whoops an expensive for a used bike. Oh yes options ?
How much money you got ? Or the wrecking ball.

Bullfrog said:

Thanks

I'll keep you guys posted here for news, we're making quick progress with the film work (marketing), and other things that need to be checked off before product reveal... It's been a very exciting couple of weeks for the whole team!

So a couple of weeks turn into a couple of months. Is it "soon" yet?

Deafcat said:
I'll keep you guys posted here for news, we're making quick progress with the film work (marketing), and other things that need to be checked off before product reveal... It's been a very exciting couple of weeks for the whole team!

Ha, I was also just checking back to see if there was any update.

Bullfrog said:
The Bafang BBSHD has been great for me plus there are all kinds of upgrades available from Luna, Grin Tech, and other companies. California Ebike carries every part in the motor should you ever need to replace anything and other companies carry the common stuff. Lekkie sells the motor sprockets from 28 teeth on up. Very simple to install with the only exposed gears being the sprocket on the motor that drives the chain...unlike some other kits like the Lightning Rod that has several exposed gears, chains, belts. BUT you are going to need more power if you are going to maintain speeds over 50 kph. With a high amperage controller you can easily maintain over 50 kph but the motor temps may be an issue...I don't know.

If I wanted to maintain more than 50 kph and use a mid drive, I'd go with one of the Lightning Rod kits.

A better and simpler choice for higher speeds is a Direct Drive motor.

My choices would be a mid drive for anything off road (because you can get the gearing you want/need), a MAC if you want to go less than 50 kph on pavement (higher acceleration per amp than any IGH or DD ebike motor), and a Direct Drive if you want to go over 50 kph on pavement (simple and won't over heat).

Will Bafang leave DIY builders in another round of no replacement parts available when their Bosch like complete kit with battery is our only choice? I have a few pre 2016 versions that have no parts stream. Very disappointing to this happy BBSxx series builder.

I can't answer on the Bosch/Bafang question.

I have had good luck getting parts from https://california-ebike.com/contact/...they may be able to get the parts you are wanting for the older BBS01/02 even though they are not listed on their web site. They have been very good to work with for my needs. I'd give them a call and tell them what you are trying to find. They have one of the best supply of Bafang parts I have seen :) .

Back