C Cab Hot Rod Power Advice

You may need to read up on setting up the front wheels. Can not see any pics of your king pins relationship to front tires contact patch. May not have the ability to adjust the front wheels Camber/Caster but maybe give it a little toe-in but watch the wear on the front tires. Inside, outside wear or scrubbing hard in turns.

In reality 15mph will get you the best distance and a speed or amp limiting or slow down the ramp up of the throttle. Could gear it down more be better on the hills. just some thoughts. It maybe perfect now but we can not leave well enough alone. :lol:

ZeroEm said:
You may need to read up on setting up the front wheels. Can not see any pics of your king pins relationship to front tires contact patch. May not have the ability to adjust the front wheels Camber/Caster but maybe give it a little toe-in but watch the wear on the front tires. Inside, outside wear or scrubbing hard in turns.

In reality 15mph will get you the best distance and a speed or amp limiting or slow down the ramp up of the throttle. Could gear it down more be better on the hills. just some thoughts. It maybe perfect now but we can not leave well enough alone. :lol:

FOUND IT! I must have worked on the front axle/kingpins a while back and didn't retighten the bottom nuts well enough. All the caster/camber/Ackerman setup was accomplished before I started this thread here on ES.

The build actually started waaay back in 2017 on AtomicZombie.com as a tandem bicycle project.
https://atomiczombie.com/forum/threads/eds-streetrunner-quad-build.11/
Well, it morphed into what you see today.
However, due to a change in the website, much of the information is gone.

Attachments

• StreetRunner with top & side panel.png
    StreetRunner with top & side panel.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 457
  • 2017-06-11 06.37.18.jpg
    2017-06-11 06.37.18.jpg
    329.3 KB · Views: 456
Even on my trike if the headsets get a little lose then the steering starts to shimmy and gets weird. Glad you did the early work and found something lose. Do we get a top speed test now. Helmet and leathers and seat belt. :lol: Just kidding.

ZeroEm said:
Even on my trike if the headsets get a little lose then the steering starts to shimmy and gets weird. Glad you did the early work and found something lose. Do we get a top speed test now. Helmet and leathers and seat belt. :lol: Just kidding.

Maybe 😟 I want to feel more comfortable that the drive train isn't going to explode. After all I am sitting directly over it...ouch! :lol:

After tightening the steering up, and making the chain tensioners,
I thought I would take it out for another shake-down run.

After seeing the steering working much better ( virtually no wobble now) I increased my speed up to about half throttle. This is supposed to be geared for ​no more than 25 mph. But I'm thinking the beast wants to ...RUN!

The purpose of a shake-down run is to find problems.
Well, I found a small problem. I made about five fast runs the same as you saw in the video. But did get warning noises and had slippage in reverse on the last run.

I found the passenger side drive chain had come off. Why?- you ask?
The intermediate shaft slipped sideways. My bad I guess.

There are soooo many nuts, bolts, screws, thingy's that need to be turned, and tightened.
I must have not got these well enough. So more practice taking things apart fixing, and replacing.
I feel like I have built 3 of these things.

I think I discovered how powerful each motor is. because it was driving with just one motor and I couldn't feel any difference. For how long I don't know. I felt each motor and the driver side was quite warm (not hot) and the passenger side was just lukewarm.

I'm pleased with the chain tensioner. It works just as I envisioned it would.

So this shake-down run was a success and nothing major has broken...yet!
The homemade sprockets are working quite well.
This chain problem is an easy fix.

I'm anxious to get it out on a flat back road and open her up,
feel the rush of power and the wind through my...ah, never mind.

You did well with the motor selection. You know now that you can get home on one, that is what you want. Prototypes always need bugs worked out. May need some lock tight for the nuts that don't want to stay tight or torque them down. May want to gear it down or not. :lol:

ZeroEm said:
You did well with the motor selection. You know now that you can get home on one, that is what you want. Prototypes always need bugs worked out. May need some lock tight for the nuts that don't want to stay tight or torque them down. May want to gear it down or not. :lol:

It's hard to tell has fast I'm really going just running it in the backyard. I'm looking into a speedometer that would be easy to attach and blend in with the overall theme. Locktite for sure. Just waiting for the final assembly.

by Just_Ed » Sep 11 2021 10:11am

ZeroEm wrote: ↑Sep 10 2021 9:17pm
It's hard to tell has fast I'm really going just running it in the backyard. I'm looking into a speedometer that would be easy to attach and blend in with the overall theme. Locktite for sure. Just waiting for the final assembly.

Speed-O-meter should not be to hard. Magnet on front or rear wheel and something to count rpm X wheel size. I don't remember your setup, if you have a display or not. I will read back thru your thread.

Your getting famous, have seen your build around the Internet outside of ES.

For sure. I want to keep the old school analog look.

I found this but it doesn't seem to have any sensors.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143032335333?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28
Also looking at GPS models. Do you have to have an account of some sort to use the GPS?

I was looking around for a while but most are expensive. Might need to just settle for a cheap bike computer. Don't know if you noticed most of them are GPS. I would not want that.

ZeroEm said:
I was looking around for a while but most are expensive. Might need to just settle for a cheap bike computer. Don't know if you noticed most of them are GPS. I would not want that.

Why not? What's wrong with GPS?

Where outside of ES have you seen my project?

The only place I've seen it is when viewing C Cab hot rod images.

by fechter » Sep 12 2021 12:35am

Check out this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Electrical-Speed ... B07VG1QHH1

Tractor speedometer. $28. Looks like a mechanical cable drive but hard to tell.

The face has RPM (Tach). I think it's a good one. It is mechanical, unless it would be to hard to hook up? The old tractors motors only ran 1700 - 2300 rpm. Just gear it to wheel speed. Digital would be easer, maybe.

Thanks so much for the helpful tips. Keep them coming.
They are in line with what I'm looking for.

As far as cost goes, hmmmmm. I think for the absolutely right thing, I'd be willing to pay up to $100.00.USD
Realistically I'm more comfortable with up to $50.00 USD

This video shows the sort of setup I think will work and is easiest to install.
But I definitely want an analog gauge face.
If need be I would buy the speedometer separate from the harness/sensor unit.
But haven't come across anything that would fit the bill, so to speak.
Just haven't found the right kit or combo.

The minutes between 4 and 9 are the part that is relevant to my project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_vzfBOOM-8

Last-minute update.

Found the sensor wiring is available. Now to find the right combo of analog speedo and sensor.
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Odometer-Speedometer-Tachometer-Motorcycle/dp/B00WNWK5YY

Check this out. This may be my answer.
Too expensive

Installation and test run - really cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwsPPTKQe5Y

This is more to my liking money-wise.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164547840536?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110002%26algo%3DSPLICE.SOI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20201210111451%26meid%3Df1c41f4f096a44b9a919804d02975689%26pid%3D101196%26rk%3D8%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D164352192232%26itm%3D164547840536%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DPromotedSellersOtherItemsV2WithMLRv3&_trksid=p2047675.c101196.m2219&amdata=cksum%3A164547840536f1c41f4f096a44b9a919804d02975689%7Cenc%3AAQAGAAACALXaftPEpc4AW7%252FFsdDazHjTWd2GCr%252BFzjryp64%252Fuwg0EnIlXmT9B9mjmf9onEAxVTNq90dBpKm8ysGKx8nbJdBB6FA85cYabs%252F9v%252BT8lhSNBGMo3OP1Zfl9E%252FAlLB270SpfiNAJvgAdOijrKME6nSrE0y3GHdFnCu8yjaI%252F7Kfm6rCGacbCuWOIffTJ%252BBqxee1ZK9Z%252FWwniZVmyCg8VJn%252BUmeFEv%252FmerKwqY3jXZacF4MzrVn9i3VWTWeFbTFYF8Fg8WESiDaAhiZ19RTjqK0oOtMN8wQUU%252BJBmDTxl35PLsgmX8Pfvx34lV7Nmm9hplUilT0l7GAsidMA6MlyTJBtRIk5%252BSCUrmXJu%252BY4MkS59ZcbhNHeLBtlYq6hUyiDD7PaHrqxCiYLrHMKRV5UgFm%252BksLziOuVnoowws6MHztmSPba0i6tdLniJS7XJujJ8RD7zOTjcNIXXiSbGp1snErlvFZyRNmr3Yzs7vBExgDaN1HQi07PQT5%252B1rSIO3mN%252FSk8cJUNfu8K0kD%252FZ%252FIbxrvSQtH7J8IZAKTt849QbEB36zSJvUcKydpipRoCfJ%252Ff3OdOxQ2g2V2o07ePKGhUgcY8o74FK2TfEB4hw%252Bx8Qv3iPU1WuH2WU9Rb7ziJCGIHpxO6sOX4fUknaEzQhuum1AbF5TMVfYBJ%252Bo9PreWBO2a3d%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2047675
The 125 mph would get people wondering

I looked at the Autometer offerings, did not think you would want to fork out that much. The marine line would be more in line with the speeds displayed with your build.

The digital should be easier to hook up instead of a machinal solution. I have been looking for Vintage or rat rod type of displays.

My latest find ??????

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203545722974?epid=3048298116&hash=item2f6445405e%3Ag%3ApSAAAOSwIihhCFEU&LH_ItemCondition=3

nicobie said:
GPS is so simple I'd be tempted to just go that route.

If all you care about is how fast you are going and don't care about not having the gauge in your dash for looks, why not just use your phone?

:lol: :lol: :lol: I haven't moved over from the dark side yet. My phone is nearly as extinct as my 'flip phone'.I do want the gauge to mount to the top of the battery cover.
My wife has an Apple S6 I think. How does that work? With GPS?

GPS Speedometer is a speedometer application that uses your phone's internal GPS module to calculate your current speed and display it with large, easy to read, LCD-like fonts. It will also display your total travel time, your average speed, maximum reached speed, your heading and elevation, a nice compass and forward and lateral accelerations.
GPS Speedometer Free - Apps on Google Play

Back