Considering getting an ebike instead of a car

MadRhino said:
Cars are addictive because people enjoy being disconnected from reality. It is a drug that is making them selfish, agressive, and stupid.

Yes, but it is also the selfish, aggressive, and stupid who fixate upon cars. Cars select for the most endarkened people and worsen them.

Had to look that up. :lol:

by MattZ » Sep 21 2021 3:10pm

MadRhino wrote: ↑Sep 21 2021 1:39pm
Now that I think about it, I should make plans to replace my boat with a foiling cat. I had dreamed of this for long, and I an old enough to indulge myself. I have tried building electric boats long ago, but range limits are not compatible with boating philosophy.
A foiling cat, now you're talkin. Hell of a learning curve I'll bet.

MattZ said:
MadRhino said:
Now that I think about it, I should make plans to replace my boat with a foiling cat. I had dreamed of this for long, and I an old enough to indulge myself. I have tried building electric boats long ago, but range limits are not compatible with boating philosophy.

Well, I have pretty good sailing experience, and I don't plan racing a moth. Something stable and easy to fly, like the ifly 15.
You sail?

ZeroEm said:
Had to look that up. :lol:

And... Liked it?

We are totally off topic anyway. Makes me feel good thinking about the sea, instead of cities crowded with cars. :wink:
Sailboats IMO, are the ultimate opposite to cars.

Reminds me of the show Thomas Crown affair. Where he flips one for the splash.

Back on topic. I play with the idea of a peddle car, not just a bike. Like the Peble. Would not be for joy riding but to get some where, Store or work. The price has put me off but being able to get out of the weather some and driving in the rain would be a plus.

PEBL is a Micro-Car eBike

Know this has been hashed over but I think the need is increasing as the need to remove ICE from the roads. Not every will afford an EV. The used batteries cost as much as a beater does now.

MadRhino said:
MattZ said:
MadRhino said:

Well, I have pretty good sailing experience, and I don't plan racing a moth. Something stable and easy to fly, like the ifly 15.
You sail?
I've seen lots of ads for that boat but at 240lbs I'd turn it into a foiling submarine. I've been sailing for close to 50 years, mostly on cats. Have a Stiletto 23 now that I spent a year turning back into a brand new boat. I sailed a Tornado for 15 years, that was a great boat. Foiling looks like a blast but I'm getting too old to add any more 'spectacular crash' stories to my list, I wish it came along sooner.

The thing I've seen that I would *love *to try is kite surfing. I grew up in and around the water but I am probably too old to try this now. Fit enough but the learning curve is surely steeper than my my healing rate.

Back to the topic, sort of... you aren't going sailing anywhere except your home dock unless you have a motor vehicle to transport the boat. And that home dock had better be within biking distance. LOL.

MattZ said:
I've seen lots of ads for that boat but at 240lbs I'd turn it into a foiling submarine. I've been sailing for close to 50 years, mostly on cats. Have a Stiletto 23 now that I spent a year turning back into a brand new boat. I sailed a Tornado for 15 years, that was a great boat. Foiling looks like a blast but I'm getting too old to add any more 'spectacular crash' stories to my list, I wish it came along sooner.

MattZ said:
..., I wish it came along sooner.

Yep. Me too.

I started with a Laser in the 70’s, then small cruisers for family, now sailing an old 20’ Red Fox that served me well but needs a rebuild. I want to go back sport sailing, never had a cat.

raylo32 said:
...you aren't going sailing anywhere except your home dock unless you have a motor vehicle to transport the boat. And that home dock had better be within biking distance. LOL.

My boat is at a marina, 2.7 miles away from home. Most people there are in a similar situation. They live at walking distance, yet fill the parking with cars every weekend.

Surfing is for athletes in their prime, or kids living by the sea. I sure would have surfed if I hadn’t spent my youth on a farm. :wink:

Most people have a lot farther than 2.7 miles to get to their marinas. When we had boats in FL it was more like 20. And the beauty of those little sailboats is the portability to take them with you to sail different places.

Yup, if kite surfing had been around back in the day I'd have been all over it.

MadRhino said:
My boat is at a marina, 2.7 miles away from home. Most people there are in a similar situation. They live at walking distance, yet fill the parking with cars every weekend.

Surfing is for athletes in their prime, or kids living by the sea. I sure would have surfed if I hadn’t spent my youth on a farm. :wink:

raylo32 said:
Most people have a lot farther than 2.7 miles to get to their marinas. When we had boats in FL it was more like 20...

Oh! Miami is crazy. I’ve seen people carry their big cruisers on trailers there. Hard to understand for me, who had never transported any bigger than a Laser, on rare occasions.

Yeah, sometimes see those behemoths on I-95 being transported between NE and FL either way depending on season. Crazy. We were the other end of the state and had 23 foot fishing and diving boats. Not as crazy as Miami for sure!

MadRhino said:
Oh! Miami is crazy. I’ve seen people carry their big cruisers on trailers there. Hard to understand for me, who had never transported any bigger than a Laser, on rare occasions.

raylo32 said:
Yeah, sometimes see those behemoths on I-95 being transported between NE and FL either way depending on season. Crazy. We were the other end of the state and had 23 foot fishing and diving boats. Not as crazy as Miami for sure!

The boat I have now, was purchased in Miami where it had crashed on the dock at a boat ramp. It was the perfect boat for me at that time, and the price was good. I sailed it to Montreal, about 3000 nautical miles.

Back