3D printed 400mm EDF project

Hi thanks, it looks exactly like the cutaway in the blue diagram. It's just a simple single speed gearbox.

Very nice project.
Could you provide information about the BLDC motor?
Who manufacturer it?
Which ESC have you used?

Regards

Thanks. It's a TP 5870 inrunner. I am running it with a Hobbywing 14s ESC. I previously used a Castle Edge HV 12s ESC

New Prototype

• Wider shaft to prevent flexing
    Drive shaft secured at both ends to prevent vibration
    Washout added to blades
    Duct lengthened to allow air to accelerate
    Thinner walls and shorter screws to save weight
    Narrower gearbox to not obstruct air
    Stators are now aerofoil sections
    Nylon blades

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-12 at 12.12.03 pm.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-12 at 12.12.03 pm.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 1,941
SkyersJet said:
New Prototype

• Wider shaft to prevent flexing
    Drive shaft secured at both ends to prevent vibration
    Washout added to blades
    Duct lengthened to allow air to accelerate
    Thinner walls and shorter screws to save weight
    Narrower gearbox to not obstruct air
    Stators are now aerofoil sections
    Nylon blades

Seriously impressive project, might as well use it to propel a bike :)
But unless your nylon is higly CF/GF-filled, it is not that much stiffer than petg in my experience, so you'll still have problems with blades contacting the shroud at high RPMs I suspect. They might *survive* it though, but this is still not very nice...
Using CF/GF filled filament (not nessesarily nylon, CF petg works well according to my tests, to promote epoxy adhesion) and carefully gluing strips of uni CF to stiffen the construction over it will work, but balancing it would be a nightmare (I think it was already suggested).

Yes I can see/view the video.
Did you also have a thrust measurement in place (suitcase weighting scale) to see the amount and difference in thrust?

I could see the video too. At least it held together this time. Which one gave the most thrust?

Hmm must be my browser.

circular intake gave 5.7kg @1492W and the elliptical one gave 5.8kg @1439W

[youtube]3IVCCHnLBxg[/YouTube]

I think I might consider switching to direct drive. The gearbox is still vibrating too much.

Hi, nice work.

you are likely loosing a lot of thrust because your diffuser thrust straightening fins are not angled and are likely in a stall. you might study pictures of ones off actual aircraft. the air coming out the back of the fan is turning about the aixs and this needs to be caught with angled fins that cancel the rotational moment of the airstream, a lot of the thrust is made by streightening the flow with angled stator blades that also have an optimal spiral twist to them and the duct nozzle is non parallel in most ducted fans also to enhance thrust .

keep up the experiments you may also like to try a pancake style drone motor that is made for the slower rpm of the big fan instead of a lossy gearbox an 80 or100mm dia one can be had inthe same power level as the motor your using

[youtube]wbeCjJO5vHw[/YouTube]
I blame the heavy steel ring on the duct for this. The test trolley has got to go as well, too wobbly.

The SkyersJet EDF is back! (in a smaller version and unfinished). People have been asking for the files for about 2 years but I wanted to finish testing it. Due to cost I don't know when that will happen so I am just releasing files and instruction as I go along. If people are still interested I'll continue with it.

Files: 190 mm Electric Ducted Fan (EDF) by SkyersJet

This is still not the 400mm however, that has severe vibration problems due to bad tolerances and needs to be entirely rebuilt. This is a smaller version that's a) easier to print and b) I made a gearbox with proper backlash and tolerances this time (H8-f7). Some people hate the gearbox however so I may produce a direct drive version at some point. You can also do it yourself; not only are STL files included but carefully annotated 2D drawings of every dimension for reverse engineering.

Two very important points: 1) If you somehow succeed at building it without a BOM and build video please take proper safety precautions i.e wear goggles and test it outside or in a safe room. 2) Do not print anything that hasn't been already supplied as a STL. That includes the rotor hub that the blades attach to. I wouldn't attempt this build unless you are prepared to buy some stock parts and have others machined. If you choose to rig it for direct drive then all you have to machine is the rotor hub and buy some screws. Should cost maybe £100. Use aluminium. If you stick with the geared version you don't have to machine the gears I provided links to suppliers of them but any will do so long as they are of the same dimensions and module.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 7.26.37 pm.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 7.26.37 pm.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 7.26.56 pm.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 7.26.56 pm.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 7.27.35 pm.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 7.27.35 pm.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 5
Back