Move to XenForo software

Status
Not open for further replies.
neptronix said:
Dui said:
Do we have any idea when these updates will be deployed? As someone stated earlier it doesn't matter if things aren't perfect or if it's ugly (current version of the forum isn't particularily eyes pleasing to begin with so that's really not a problem :wink: ). Only thing that really matters, at least to me, is that we don't lose threads or pictures. Really hope it'll be for soon!

No date yet, but soonish. Much more soon than ~7 years ago when we went looking for the ultimate platform, but only discovered one technologically advanced enough to pull off something like what we envisioned last year.

Don't worry, i've put in around 70 hours of work to ensure we don't end up with 'forum transition artifacts' and also looking through datasets for hours to confirm that these fixes work to at least 99.5% accuracy.

The youtube embed tag translator is more than 100% accurate because it fixes many tags that weren't showing up in phpbb due to a mistype. It was specifically designed as such. There is another process i've yet to undertake which restores some very old corrupt images to an imperfect, but viewable state.

So the stuff that really matters doesn't get lost.

The only thing that i know we lose is:

Per-post thread titles. ( no modern forum system has this feature, and it's rarely used, and creates plenty of visual clutter )
Image captions. ( not in most forum software, and it's rarely used )

I tried to wean people off these features years ago but there was a weapons-grade tantrum thrown over it. I believe the image captions remain as alt text, so the data is either still there, or can be imported and potentially displayed the same way. But the per-post thread titles are going to be a 100% loss.

We hope the upsides of this move far outweigh any downsides at the end of the day.

This would totally deserve a like. :thumb:
:wink:
Merry Christmas, thanks for the great work

Thank you, kind sir!

Next steps at this point:
1) Work with Justin and his designer for an improved color scheme/aesthetic.
2) Install and test all of those Xenforo plugins.
3) Get the sticky posts copier written.
4) Moderator and user feedback/review stage.
5) Set the release date :shock:

Suggestion for spam control, if possible, since there are up to several per month (with occasional waves of more, sometimes many more) of each of these types of spammers:

To catch latent-spammers that post "normally" and then edit their posts later (sometimes months or more!) to stick the spam in, sometimes completely replacing their original post with spam:

Whenever edits occur to posts, especially for low-post-count members that signed up within the last year (yes, some latent spammers wait that long to add their spam!), a forum module (script? dunno) runs these checks:

--was a URL added?
--was a significant (>10%?) of the post content changed? (requires some form of auto-comparison of text of original post vs edited post; should be possible, don't know how hard).

If any check "fails" (returns a positive), the post is "reported" so a moderator can check it to see if it is a spammer or just a normal edit.

This will turn up most of the latent spammers that actually post.

A test can also be done to catch latent spammers that only put SEO stuff in their profile, but it requires a periodic comparison of old profiles to new profiles, which requires caching all profiles (for some time period, say 1 year), and comparing them say, monthly, to the present profile version. Any changes will be flagged for a moderator to check.

Some other things that will help prevent the posting of certain noob member spammers that only post one thing, or never post, is to only allow posting of links in either profile or posts after say, 5 posts. That would prevent a very large (>50%, possibly more) of spammers from ever posting any spam, and inconvenience few members.

If that's not acceptable due to affecting "real" members, then simply flagging a mod to
approve a post or profile with a link in it before it appears (and notifying the member when they hit the submit button for the post that this is going to happen), will still let real noobs post links if they need to, and let us prevent spammers from doing so, without accidentally having some automated spam-prevention filter nuke a real post or real member. .

Personally, I'd rather have to wade thru a stack of "reported posts" and determine real/spam than have to dig thru literally everything that gets posted (by noobs anyway) every day, and periodically everything that has been posted (by noobs) for months, to check for this kind of spam. ;) (which is the way I have to do it right now, and have had to for as long as I've been doing this)

Xenforo has super advanced spam control features. Let's just try those and move from there. PHPbb basically has none, compared :lol:

Just some news..

I spent the last month moving my work flow from Windows based to Linux Desktop based.. and it was tough because i do video editing, audio production, 2d vector/raster graphics, 3d graphics, web development, etc! Learning an entire set of new programs was the hardest part.. but the pain is mostly over.. and i now have a more stable and fast computing experience that i enjoy :)

In this quest, i decided to pick up a wacom tablet and learn how to do vector art much more efficiently.
I now have an amazing workflow for working with vector graphics using either Inkscape or Affinity Designer.. i can pump out graphics in about a third of the time i used to in Adobe Illustrator..

I'm also in the process of learning how to use Blender and have a nice pathway from 2D pen drawn art to 3D object.

I spent some time drawing logo concepts for ES and my creative block cleared. I also have some good ideas on what to do with the color problems in the current beta design. So things should get back in motion again soon.

Not much updates lately. I've been taking advantage of a slow time in my business to finally catch up on my own business engineering. In 2021, i had more work thrown at me than time, but none of the systems i needed to hire someone else. So i'm walking down the road and collecting those cans i kicked down the road, lol.

I'm over my creative block with the forum design and ready to come up with a better color palette or two.

I will do another sprint of work in a week or two and have Xenforo to *at least* a stage where the public can preview it.
Mr. Kahuna is also saying he's going to be working on the next generation wiki system quite soon. No date of completion on that one, but the ball is rolling.

tomjasz said:
Thank you for accepting help!

Hey.. the problem has always been finding someone both qualified ( a couple years experience ) and interested in working for free for the betterment of the forum. Also, a lot of trust is required to collaborate on things like this! Too many barriers to volunteering!

I am further focused on figuring out how i can make it easier for anyone to step up to the plate and throw some code or design at ES, with as little encumbrances as possible.
The development environment should also have the content and censored and login credentials altered so that we can hand anyone who wants to tinker on ES a copy of the code.

We are about 80% of the way to reducing the trust requirement to zero, meaning that we're open to almost ALL potential volunteers. The ease of develpment aspect on our system is nearly perfect - the developer gets their own individual fully working replica of the server we run, as well as a 1 page set of instructions and things to consider, as well as my server administrator or programming help available 5 days a week through chat.

I like the idea of ES as a community garden - easy to get involved with, easy to view, and rewarding. We only have one other gardener visiting right now, and some killer seedlings in the ground, but i think once things start growing, we may see more gardeners than just me and Mr Kahuna.

And i want the best community garden out there, because the power of collaboration is powerful and eventually begins fueling itself.

Attachments

• __opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__mnn__images__2016__05__people-working-ur...jpg
    __opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__mnn__images__2016__05__people-working-ur...jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 122
Hey all, sorry that progress has been slow on my end.

Work has been very slow and i've taken advantage of it to finally build more of my high level framework for PHP programming.

Investigating the guts and design features of Xenforo while working on ES lead to some insight on a good themeing system where you can get lots of output with lots of customization with very little PHP code. This, combined with something akin to tailwind.css helped form my 'interface library for building everything' that i am very close to completing.

zlt 0.8.png
zlt 0.8 api.png

The bit of code driving this handles form input, putting default values into fields from existing database records, filtering the form, and mostly automating the write to the database as well. Only a few more lines of code are needed to make the system into a full viewer/editor of something.

Shaves a ridiculous amount of code and thinking time off things.

Once i am done with this, i want to validate Xenforo compatibility, finish the new theme, and launch the new forum.
Then, the next round of work will be centered around building custom functionality for ES that very much looks like it's part of Xenforo.

Mr Kahuna has a wiki system partially up, pending my sysadmin lookover and some adjustments and considerations.

Trust me, i'll come out of my winter introvert hiding phase with some cool stuff in tow ^_^

Ill-be-back.jpg

looks useful...would be nice if a GUI could be made for the xenforo equivalent of the UCP that allows drag-and-drop placement and sizing of all onscreen items for each kind of page xenforo can serve up to the user, to create custom themes by the users themselves. ;)

That would take a feat of engineering. I almost don't want to think about what's involved. :lol:

I am actually going to start working on a drag and drop editor this summer for software written in PHP. It will be a bit like oldschool Visual Basic, where instead of defining a button, a form field, an icon, whatever, is just a "drag and drop and select a few things" affair.

visual basic RAD.jpg

I consider visual basic to be a crappy programming language but using it when i was learning to program with these visual editors and such made choking down learning programming a lot easier.

Web developers today instead type many lines of code to make these interfaces. This takes a lot of time, testing, and refreshing in a web browser to see the result. It's a waste of time and i'm working on a faster programming process to make PHP closer to visual basic, but without the pitfall of it being based on visual basic; instead, it's roots are in C/C++ :lol:

This would make amberwolf's dream feature actually possible :mrgreen: ... but only in the future functionality i write for ES. :confused:

I made a decision about the Xenforo project. It's been stalled way too long.

A number of color schemes have been tried and none of them look good.
I find myself in frequent defeat in trying to make it look good.
And other themes for sale don't end up being a lot better than what i put together ( minus my color problem )

What we really need is the huge functionality upgrade of Xenforo, not a better look.

The new plan is to take the base theme, cure some of it's visibility problems, spice up a few parts, stick with the general 'vibe' and color of the design, and call it good. Once things are settled, we can give it a minor refresh later.

This is a mega roadblock clearing and makes the job a lot easier. The next time i make a push at this, i think it won't be as much like pushing a rock up a hill. :mrgreen:

neptronix said:
I made a decision about the Xenforo project. It's been stalled way too long.

:bigthumb: Good! things can always be tweaked later. I say let's get this show on the road. I wish I knew more about this so I could help more to make it happen sooner.

Don't think this chart pertains, but I found it interesting. I don't know enough about the subject to have an opinion.
2022-03-27 14_33_03-Django vs PHP - Clearing the confusion of Web Developers - DataFlair.png

I really wish i had more help, but what i do here requires specialized knowledge. Also, once i launch the forum, i'm expecting months of after-care and adjustment to the platform. I could give someone part of that job, but i know i'm going to need a few months of light activity elsewhere first, which i'm trying to get to..

I'm going to see if i can get mr kahuna more involved in the project, to handle some of the aftercare concern.

Measures of PHP's popularity are always deceptive because PHP is a single purpose, focused language. Python is a general purpose language that can do web backends, desktop apps, embedded applications, and more. It also has a 'shiny new object' thing still going for it.

Python has a reputation for being easier to learn than PHP, and not having encumbrances as a rule in it's framework ecosystem. It also has a reputation for being slow as hell, requiring the use of C in sections to get acceptable performance. Python is *not* the best language to write backends in... but... you can. :confused:

PHP on the other hand, is based on C and has performance like C, but removes a lot of extra programming considerations the C language has. It's the best tool for the job here. :)

Is establishing a fund like patrons support a good idea? I’m in!

tomjasz said:
Is establishing a fund like patrons support a good idea? I’m in!

Do you mean Patreon? I aint up to date on any of that stuff. The concept of Patreon is paying for content, how thats done I dont know.
https://www.patreon.com/
I just know some web content providers make their pitch on it to go over to Patreon, extra content thats never given for free at the moment, or given for free after awhile.

Adam Curry has something cool for content makers getting paid, it never peaked my interest but he is a Podcast guy, they call him the PODCAST FATHER or POD FATHER, and the idea was through a form of crypto and payment method where you click on something and it donates. Crypto is getting into the muddy waters a bit.

I guess what I am getting at is you could have a donation method that isnt to intrusive, maybe its just on the home page of where all the main subject threads, if the goal is to stay away from the commercialization aspect of forums, through sponsorships etc. As far as I know, I dont even know if I could donate to Endless Sphere at this exact moment. I doubt its possible, right now.

Another method is "Merch" but there is all the background work that needs to be done, storage of merch, a guy that ships merch. To much work is my guess. Hoodies, hats and mugs might be to much of a risk starting off, stickers could be a good start but not big enough.

I wish I could help but even using the Terminal window in Linux scares me, sudo is enough for me.

I appreciate that you guys would bring up the idea of funding the forum.

I can't speak for Justin here, but i know he feels icky about the idea of taking money for this forum. He's ensured that the technological side of things is well funded though.. so what we really need is more genius-hours for these big renovation projects we want to pull off. I'm working in that and have a good candidate ( Mr Kahuna ) for inserting a second 'me' into to the team. :thumb:

I love the idea of a merch shop that helps fund the non-technological aspect, IE moderator beer and computer equipment fund. Lemme see if i can do another push for that.

neptronix said:
I appreciate that you guys would bring up the idea of funding the forum.

I can't speak for Justin here, but i know he feels icky about the idea of taking money for this forum. He's ensured that the technological side of things is well funded though.. so what we really need is more genius-hours for these big renovation projects we want to pull off. I'm working in that and have a good candidate ( Mr Kahuna ) for inserting a second 'me' into to the team. :thumb:

I love the idea of a merch shop that helps fund the non-technological aspect, IE moderator beer and computer equipment fund. Lemme see if i can do another push for that.

If it's so well funded, just get the XenForo people to do the transfer. It's not like it hasn't been done endless times before and they are experts, not amateurs at it. There is nothing special about a phpbb to XenForo transfer and it's been over a year since announcement.

NoFanBoiz said:
If it's so well funded, just get the XenForo people to do the transfer. It's not like it hasn't been done endless times before and they are experts, not amateurs at it. There is nothing special about a phpbb to XenForo transfer and it's been over a year since announcement.

I don't know if that is even possible. If it is you could count on me to help with some $.

I'd be willing to bet that a decent sum could be raised with just a forum announcement (with Justin's OK).

It'd actually a lot more complex than just having an expert transfer it. Shit, the transfer is the easy part. We've already practiced it twice.

If you read the thread, you'd understand why.

Nic, that one was pointed at nofanboiz, just FYI.

Great news, i have Mr Kahuna willing to help me with the Xenforo project aftercare part. That's huge, and makes this possible very soon.

What comes next is fixing the color issues and moving on with a moderator preview so we can get the team ahead of training an learning the new system before we make the leap :thumb:

Got even better news.. Justin offered me a time slot in the near future to help direct things.
Now we're really pumped!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back