Special 6-seater bike build

Chalo said:
Another prospective location is underneath the rear two seats, with the motor chains and large chainrings running through openings cut in the floor plate (or that section of the floor removed entirely). In that case, it probably would be a good idea to install a kick plate between the front edge of the seats and the floor.

APL said:
If you use two motors then you need to control them evenly with one throttle , so there may be some problems there too.
Two motors have twice the cost but half the mechanical stress, and you get two wheel drive.

Just some things to think about I guess..

That's close to the initial idea i had with the mentioned motor (Aliexpress). It wouldn't be a problem to build a mount for two motors underneath the rear seats so that each motor can drive one axle separately. The chains would then run in the middle and the current drive system can just stay as it is.
The advantage of this soloution would be that i'm more flexible with gearing. If it's driving too slow or fast i could "easly" replace sprockets and get a better gear ratio, wheras with the hub motor if it doesn't work right away i would need to look out for a different solution.

The tires are a little bit larger than 14", the rim size is 14". So with the calculation about the end speed and the gear ratio of the mentioned motor i would get somewhere in the range of my targeted speed, it it's a little higher that would still be fine. I'm just trying to avoid areas where there would be additional stress for the motor due to high amps.
As you also mentioned, two motors will put less stress on the components and i would be on the safe side about the power. So from that perspective two of the initial mentioned motors would probably be best.
The next concern, as you mentioned, would then be if it will be possible to use two controllers with just a single throttle, i'm not sure if that will be a problem. Technically it should be enough to just wire the single throttle to both controller inputs and it should work, or?

mrpr39 said:
That's close to the initial idea i had with the mentioned motor (Aliexpress).

The problem with the motor you linked is that its gear reduced RPM is about 700, and it will be difficult to get the wheel speed you're looking for with a single stage of external reduction.

Using the calculation tool i get the following result, which i think would be ok then (maybe there would then be a larger sprocket available if realy necessary, or a smaller one for the motor)
calc.jpg
I think i'm then going to order the motors and try them out. From the discusion i think they have a little advantage over hub motors considering the easier mounting and better potential for gearing.
Are there any thoughts about the mentioned batteries? I think the maximum supported 100A of continuous power will be enough for driving two of the mentioned motors and with an approximate continuous usage of 1500W (is that realistic with the motors considering it's not always uphill? Can the necessary power be calculated for the given weight?) i would get a driving time of about 2 hours, which would for now probably be enough.

Back