PV NextGen FOC 100-180v 36kw max - $799

Powervelocity.com said:
Slightly updated design for signal connector termination to allow for easy connect/disconnect.

Also, there is a plan to offer remote connectivity package for the new controllers very soon. It would allow getting things like location, battery state of charge, pretty much any info about a vehicle's system remotely, as well as send commands to the controller from the Android/iOS app remotely. 3 years of support would be included and coverage in 70 countries is supported.

2021-04-27_13-25-44.png

2021-04-27_13-26-54.png
Sounds good....What year is this Controller available to the consumer ? :roll:

Powervelocity.com said:
The connector covers the contacts. Unless you submerge it under water, it will be fine.

TorgueRPM said:
I feel like the new signal connectors could be a weak point sticking out like that, especially with no electrical insulation. What if a couple drops of water make their way onto that connector?

Okay, sounds good, definitely an upgrade

Sorry to cross post - trying to buy the 15Kw for nearly 2 months now, no response for a month
Edit
Sales PowerVelocity <sales@powervelocity.com>
Tue 11/05/2021 21:15
I am sorry. Extremely swamped these days. I guess you can go with another controller.

Yup - I will

TorgueRPM said:
I feel like the new signal connectors could be a weak point sticking out like that, especially with no electrical insulation. What if a couple drops of water make their way onto that connector?

It needs a way to secure the wires to the board. You clearly solder them to the fingers on the board. This is a place where wires will bend and stress and break. AS a result, they need to be held so they can't move around. Maybe an edge connector is planned for later? They are not really that good in the weather and dealing with vibration and hard to water proof.

Conformal will solve a lot of the problems with this "board style" connector, but not all of them.

I'd really like to see all the wires come out one end of the controller shell instead of both.

One big reason I wanted to keep wires outside of the heatsink enclosure is the signal integrity. Having a bundle of wires going close to phase swinging at high frequency or DC link can be somewhat forgiving if you run 70v or so but it's a different story when you go to higher voltage at 300A and above. You don't want your throttle to self turn or MCU crash in a wrong moment. Cross talk between the DC link, phases and signal wires is almost guaranteed if you run them anywhere close.

Edge connectors will work fine in most cases, and, where in doubt, silicon can be used to seal them.
With that, I am constantly improving the design, so chances are it'll get better overtime.

Powervelocity.com said:
One big reason I wanted to keep wires outside of the heatsink enclosure is the signal integrity. Having a bundle of wires going close to phase swinging at high frequency or DC link can be somewhat forgiving if you run 70v or so but it's a different story when you go to higher voltage at 300A and above. You don't want your throttle to self turn or MCU crash in a wrong moment. Cross talk between the DC link, phases and signal wires is almost guaranteed if you run them anywhere close.

Edge connectors will work fine in most cases, and, where in doubt, silicon can be used to seal them.
With that, I am constantly improving the design, so chances are it'll get better overtime.

Thank you for addressing my comment!
Shielded/grounded cable inside the case won't solve the interference issues? Seems like it was designed exactly for this issue and is used in much higher voltage controller applications. I have no idea what the cables are now. If RF interference is significant, then braided/shielded cable for each function is easily available. This will also allow for more conventional connectors out one end of the controller shell.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154273713858?hash=item23eb6e0ec2:g:H-UAAOSwWSxf8LO7

Dear PV thank you for your answer about charging through phase wires. Can you further detail if the function is implement already or not? Also is it possible to get Next Gen 30s controller with 4g modem but without the plan? I have ATT GSM sim. Is the connectivity package external to the controller? Does it function with VESC tool?

East Penn is an excellent maker of DC electrical stuff.

What the heck is West Penn?

I posted this before, not sure how it got disappeared from this thread.

Here is a short version of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtmIfhdXWeU
Here is a longer one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F64T9DeuCGA

In a nutshell, boost charging is implemented and it works well. All easily configurable via iOS, Android apps or a mini touch display.

Answers to your other questions:

- Is it possible to get GPS/LTE module without included service? -- Yes, but no guaranteed operation with user provided Sim cards.

- Is the connectivity package external to the controller? - Currently no. Maybe later or, likely, all controllers going forward will have it on board standard. WiFi, BLE are already standard features.

- Does the controller work with VESC tool? - Yes, and I'll fully support the feature for beta testers. Going forward, all necessary changes would be done via the app only. If someone wants to use VESC tool, this option will be available still with the warranty void disclaimer. VESC is a great developer tool with lots of cryptic stuff that never needs to be changed even by an expert user and if you do, it's too easy to mess up. Apps may also have "expert" mode which would unlock low level settings with disclaimer.

cheapcookie said:
Dear PV thank you for your answer about charging through phase wires. Can you further detail if the function is implement already or not? Also is it possible to get Next Gen 30s controller with 4g modem but without the plan? I have ATT GSM sim. Is the connectivity package external to the controller? Does it function with VESC tool?

Powervelocity.com said:
In a nutshell, boost charging is implemented and it works well. All easily configurable via iOS, Android apps or a mini touch display.

I'm so thankful for your answers Vadym, to clarify, the feature is implemented on the NextGen but not yet on the mainstream VESC?

Maybe you could fork VESCtool to hide features, Thanks again, Cheapcookie!

Yes, boost charging is specific to NextGen controllers.

cheapcookie said:
Powervelocity.com said:

I'm so thankful for your answers Vadym, to clarify, the feature is implemented on the NextGen but not yet on the mainstream VESC?

Maybe you could fork VESCtool to hide features, Thanks again, Cheapcookie!

Honestly if you sold an plugin Addon "charge mode" I would buy it immediately for my 22s vesc. Same thing lte if you sold comm module for canbus. I would put sim card and use it tomorrow. Any details on the electric Grom? How did you fit 9kwh in there lol? Pics? Thanks again Vadym

Hello, is there a date when the controller is expected to be available for purchase?

How would we go about purchasing one of these controllers if they're technically still available?

Yes, will do that after testing with at least some hardware other than NextGen.
Technically, there is no reason why it would not work but since it taps into PWM control, there is a risk of blowing something up and I don't want people get mad at me when that happens. There are also corner cases like plugging the DC source before or after turning on the controller and this may lead to some anomalies from version to version of VESC. For example, 5.03 introduced offset calibration right after the boot, and if charger is plugged in that would cause incorrect calibration values.

Have been testing the controller on the bike for over a year now and pulling solid 10kw on a qs205 with a 26s battery without breaking any sweat. The torque is butter smooth and linear from 0 to full throttle and variable regen is as good.

Now, I'd be looking to test the design up to its limits, ideally, at 32s(up to 135v and 400A).
For that, I am looking for testers that have the proper setup to load up the controller: battery, the motor, and the way to load it up. It would also help if you are also familiar with vesc firmware and how to set it up. I am running a very limited production at the moment due to supply chain constraints, so looking only for high power testing and validation.
If interested, please PM.

I tried to PM you but I didn't get an answer. I sent you my P.V 15 fet and 18 fet controllers so you could look at them and fix ? What happening with them ?

I will be keeping an eye on this. Whenever this becomes available, I'm intent on buying. I'm currently working on a 72V pack and will be running 10 kW peak, but I won't be stopping there.

This sounds nice in thought but vague in practice...

Powervelocity.com said:
Yes, will do that after testing with at least some hardware other than NextGen.

Powervelocity.com said:
At some point, yes.

cheapcookie said:
Powervelocity.com said:
Yes, boost charging is specific to NextGen controllers.

Is it possible for you to push to vesc project? It would be useful for alot of people

Back