Sur-Ron - New Mid drive Bike

Building a cart primarily out of the stock fork! Pic is rough layout - have plans to add a shock.

I suppose it will partially power my ride direct from the sun - any excess electrons will get dumped to the pack.

It will also have some saddle bags on the cart for excursions.

IMG_7201.jpg

You'd best put all those panels on the same horizontal plane. The way they're arranged now, at least one of them will be poorly illuminated at any given time. If they're in series, that will bring the performance of the entire array down to that of the most shaded panel.

Chalo said:
You'd best put all those panels on the same horizontal plane. The way they're arranged now, at least one of them will be poorly illuminated at any given time. If they're in series, that will bring the performance of the entire array down to that of the most shaded panel.

I'll see how it works - can always tweak it. Not a bad suggestion - thank you.

My thinking with different angles was that it is kind of an average - versus with a plane they all could be at the wrong angle.

P.S.

The panel puts out usable juice even with indirect light and/or in the shade.

3DTOPO said:
My thinking with different angles was that it is kind of an average - versus with a plane they all could be at the wrong angle.

If they're in series, the worst one will bottleneck all the others. There's no averaging.

If they're in parallel, then it's more or less as you say, as long as they're diode isolated from each other.

I ran across this issue when building a solar charging e-bike in the late '90s. There was a cell array on the side of the frame, and another on a disc wheel in front. I made an electrical slip ring to carry juice from the wheel array to the charge controller, even when the bike was rolling. Unfortunately, the shadow cast by the fork leg just killed the wheel panel's output, and the wheel had to be removed and set beside the bike for effective charging.

Chalo said:
3DTOPO said:

If they're in series, the worst one will bottleneck all the others. There's no averaging.

If they're in parallel, then it's more or less as you say, as long as they're diode isolated from each other.

Thanks for the clarification. Without taking it apart, is there a way to tell how the are wired?

3DTOPO said:
Without taking it apart, is there a way to tell how the are wired?

What's the open circuit voltage of the whole thing?

Small solar panels are often configured for 12V applications, so they'll have a sunlit open circuit voltage of about 18V.

You could hook it up to a load that it can support in full sun, then shade one of the squares to see if the output falls on its face.

Chalo said:
3DTOPO said:

What's the open circuit voltage of the whole thing?

Small solar panels are often configured for 12V applications, so they'll have a sunlit open circuit voltage of about 18V.

DC output voltage: 18V /5.56A Max

Chalo said:
3DTOPO said:
to a load that it can support in full sun, then shade one of the squares to see if the output falls on its face.

Honestly, I think this (very crudely) is a better setup - more room for gear and less extreme angles in the panel. Thanks for your suggestion.

IMG_7202.jpg

Sur Ron Partners with Red Bull Tennessee Knockout TKO Hard Enduro race :

22_may10_jl_1180_1024x1024.jpg

The Red Bull Tennessee Knockout (TKO) has teamed up with the eMoto content creators at Electric Cycle Rider (ECR) to announce the first-ever eMoto class at the 2022 TKO on August 12-14 in Sequatchie, TN.
“The interest in electric motorcycles is growing around the world and we want to showcase the capabilities of the latest versions from several manufacturers at the premier Hard Enduro event in North America,” said Eric Peronnard, the co-producer of the Red Bull Tennessee Knockout.
The all-electric class, named ECR eMoto, will compete on an approximately 14-mile-long course that features challenging obstacles on Saturday morning, starting immediately following the last of the amateur riders. The single race will decide the ECR eMoto class championship but any ECR eMoto participant that completes the course within the 2.5-hour time limit will be eligible to compete in the TKO Amateur race two on Saturday afternoon (riders will need to compete on the same motorcycle).
The ECR eMoto class will be an open format that will allow production electric motorcycles of all power levels with a minimum rear wheel size of 16 inches. Riders of all skill levels that are 16 years of age and older will be eligible to enter the ECR eMoto class...

https://surron.ca/blogs/news/sur-ron-partners-with-red-bull-tennessee-knockout

https://tennesseeknockoutenduro.com/emoto-class-created-for-2022-red-bull-tennessee-knockout-hard-enduro-separate-class-open-to-all-electric-motorcycle-manufacturers/

Been a while since I’ve posted here, I bought my SurRon in 2018 after the initial rave reviews I read about here on ES and have never stopped mod’ing it, the only things I’ve left stock are some covers and trim, belt tensioner and the frame.
4ED99FAC-C69C-45C0-AECD-8BC8642C6F6E.jpeg
000AB8E4-50EA-4BE4-BC18-D7283E777DFF.jpeg
9CC73D57-4415-45DD-9EB9-0B2589C2E06C.jpeg

hi guys new here and new to surron's.. recently purchased an L1E after a ride out it powers on but no motor action and on the dash the battery does not show any voltage also it says error --002 can anyone help please

smokey85 said:
hi guys new here and new to surron's.. recently purchased an L1E after a ride out it powers on but no motor action and on the dash the battery does not show any voltage also it says error --002 can anyone help please

If you bought it new from Luna, they include a "tester" tool, plug that in to one of the harness plugs, and it will give you a blink code. Note what the blink code is, such as 2 fast 1 slow green/red, something like that, then contact Luna, and they will be able to tell you what the problem is. On my SurRon X, then ended up sending me a whole new controller, I got it mounted and the bike worked perfect every since.

thanks for the reply no i did not buy it from luna its a used bike from ebay.. however i have had some progression now i have error 211 so i will be replacing the throttle and hopefully get back to riding and having fun again

stuntmanmike said:
Been a while since I’ve posted here, I bought my SurRon in 2018 after the initial rave reviews I read about here on ES and have never stopped mod’ing it, the only things I’ve left stock are some covers and trim, belt tensioner and the frame.

This really came out good, in fact, probably "Death Proof" :bigthumb:

stuntmanmike said:

what swing arm is that and how do you like it?

missed the Red Bull Tennessee Knockout TKO Hard Enduro??
her is your next chance to Race Electric:)..
SEER Going Electric!
SEER, South East Extreme Riders, Hard Enduro Race Series adds electric class.. :
SEER Racing is announcing a NEW e-Moto class in their hard enduro series!
eMoto-Class-TKO_Larry-Mayo-5.jpg

https://seer-racing.com/2022/09/21/seer-going-electric/

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
missed the Red Bull Tennessee Knockout TKO Hard Enduro??
her is your next chance to Race Electric:)..
SEER Going Electric!
SEER, South East Extreme Riders, Hard Enduro Race Series adds electric class.. :
SEER Racing is announcing a NEW e-Moto class in their hard enduro series!
eMoto-Class-TKO_Larry-Mayo-5.jpg

https://seer-racing.com/2022/09/21/seer-going-electric/

Sweet! I am going to follow this.

Rix said:
If you bought it new from Luna, they include a "tester" tool, plug that in to one of the harness plugs, and it will give you a blink code. Note what the blink code is, such as 2 fast 1 slow green/red, something like that, then contact Luna, and they will be able to tell you what the problem is.
Just curious: do they also include the codes with the tester? If not, I wonder why not?

stuntmanmike said:

Beautiful bike Mike. Sur Ron's are a paradigm shifter.

amberwolf said:
Rix said:
If you bought it new from Luna, they include a "tester" tool, plug that in to one of the harness plugs, and it will give you a blink code. Note what the blink code is, such as 2 fast 1 slow green/red, something like that, then contact Luna, and they will be able to tell you what the problem is.
Just curious: do they also include the codes with the tester? If not, I wonder why not?

They did not include the codes with the the tester, when I was trouble shooting my SurRon, I called Tech support, they asked me to run the diagnostic and report what I observed. When I did, they diagnosed it as a "controller" problem and sent me a new controller. I did solve the problem.

Anyone try different Jackshaft bearings? NSK/FAG/SKF/etc? Hoping to find a set that lasts longer then the cheaper Chinese and Timken brands. Or if they wear just the same I will stick to the cheaper ones.

Some research shows that NSK Dynamic load is around 1060lbs and static load is 440lbs.

Not sure on the brand but mcmaster has these options:

bearings.png

Quinc said:
Anyone try different Jackshaft bearings? NSK/FAG/SKF/etc? Hoping to find a set that lasts longer then the cheaper Chinese and Timken brands. Or if they wear just the same I will stick to the cheaper ones.

Some research shows that NSK Dynamic load is around 1060lbs and static load is 440lbs

Looking to step up on bearing quality ?
Try these people :

https://www.bocabearings.com/

Quinc said:

Some research shows that NSK Dynamic load is around 1060lbs and static load is 440lbs.

Not sure on the brand but mcmaster has these options:

bearings.png
SKF units are top notch. I always swap out the stock units on my DD hub motors for SKF units.

Does anybody know the pinout / wiring diagram of the surron programming/diagnostics cable? It has an LED that will flash out error codes. I lost mine many years ago. Trying to trouble shoot faults but don't want to wait around for shipping.

surron diag cable.PNG

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-diagnostic-and-programming-dongle/

Back