Rize Liberty – What a mess for a $15.00 design oversight.

Looks like you are 'good to go' for a little while. What you have (had) was a weak battery with an unbalanced cell group. 12 kilometers sounds like you are good for local runs so long as you don't pound your throttle into battery sag leading to a low voltage cutoff.

A new battery may not cost you as much as you are thinking, depending on where you get it, what chemistry you use and if you build it yourself. I would start thinking about how to configure a new battery into your existing battery holder. Or how new cells can fit into your existing case. Or how to mount a new battery on your frame.

:D :bolt:

I don’t think I will need to worry about “configuring” a new battery. The Reention Dorado 48V 21ah Battery seems to be rather common as far as replacement batteries.

Easily found on eBay for something like $1200. On Amazon it’s a good $850 plus. Keep in mind these are Canadian dollars. That was a quick search, I assume there are more options and configurations available.

If I want to add a secondary, they have kits on the Rize site for secondary batteries for those who want to add more distance.

For now, I’m just pondering the value added route. Unfortunately I seem to complicate fun sometimes by using logic.

But I do love a fix me up project, so I may decide to change out the cells over the winter. We’ll see, here in Montreal winters can be pretty long and cold.

Thanks again

If you do replace the battery, beware of the cheapest options. (well, really, beware of all options :lol: )

It's become too common for unscrupulous pack builders to use poor quality cells, sometimes even literal recycled garbage cells of random quality (or lack thereof). Sometimes just random new cells, of whatever quality, that may actually be the model that has the capacity stated for a particular pack (x the number of parallel cells). But rarely any kind of QC, or cell-matching, etc.

It's also become more common for pack builders to use BMSs that have no balance function, which means that without matched cells of all equal capabilities, it will become imbalanced more and more upon every usage cycle, and it has no internal way to fix this, so it will have less and less usable capacity every cycle becuase the difference between closer-to-full cells and closer-to-empty cells gets greater each time. If the end user knows it has no balancer and knows what ot do about it it's not a problem, but it may not even say that it doesn't, and almost no end-users have a clue (or any need for one, as they shouldn't have to) how to do any of that.

Build quality (interconnects, wiring, etc) is usually lower, possibly significantly lower, the cheaper the packs are made (usually but not always reflected in the end-user price).

If you find a pack that has an unusual claim for it in any way (higher capacity than others, higher current capability, more cells, etc) it's a good idea to validate before buying. If it's not possible to be certain about it, don't get that one. ;)

Even in the better quality packs, you can end up with problems....the lesser quality packs just too-often start out with them, based on problem threads around here. :(

The same caveats apply to buying just the cells.

OH so my chances of find a good quality battery for a good price is pretty good then, huh.... :wink:

alfgar said:
OH so my chances of find a good quality battery for a good price is pretty good then, huh.... :wink:

Why limit your self to a Reention Dorado 48V 21ah Battery?

There are plenty of other options out there.

alfgar said:

:lol:

If people were always honest instead of out to make a buck.... :flame: :kff: :lowbatt:

[/quote]

Why limit your self to a Reention Dorado 48V 21ah Battery?

There are plenty of other options out there.

[/quote]

Guess I was just showing my ignorance to this technology. Make and model is not important to me. I'm more interested in the plug and play function rather than retrofitting. May be easy to retrofit something but as I noted, I'm still pretty ignorant :? and picking up stuff.

There all kinds of places for a battery pack. In my opinion, the down tube is the best place for weight balance, but on that Rize the step-through area is wide open for modification. Or saddle bags could be used or even mounting the pack to the rack.

All suggestions look good and merit looking into somewhat. I will need to do some research through the fall to see the efforts needed behind the different options out there.

I will need to pay particular to the electrical and how to connect / retrofit to the existing connections if I don't go with the plug and play. I've seen a few options so far in my quick search and most seem doable for me. It's just a quest of how invested I want to get I guess.

Thanks again everyone for your help & suggestions.

Back