F150 Conversion

H2Guy

100 mW
I manage about 150 vehicles as the core of our fleet that services the hydro and water needs of our city. These vehicles are 100% maintained by our talented crew of technicians and they work on everything from our UTV’s through to large double bucket trucks. Electrification of certain platforms in the fleet line up is coming and we wanted to get some first hand knowledge in both the operating and maintenance of an electric fleet vehicle.

About 2 years ago my company began conversations with a start-up in our area that was following a successful blueprint they implemented in Germany, California and Mexico. Windsor, On was selected as their Canadian base and we became their first customer. Our project was to convert a 2019 F150 from ICE to electric with a design target to maintain or exceed our key field operating parameters. In May we rolled the vehicle into our bay for the last time and removed the engine and drive train and the rolling chassis was delivered to it’s new temporary home at the local college.

The project is a collaboration of St. Clair College, Automobility Enterprises and ENWIN Utilities to spec, design and implement a fully electric F150 from the ground up. The objectives were primarily to learn and prepare for electric platforms that will eventually come from the OEMs. Will this be better than the Lightning - short answer is no as the OEM clearly has control over all the dimensions of a ground up design and better influence over supplier cost and performance. With our modest targets of 250km range, 110kph top speed, 4 wheel drive and meeting factory towing capacity we are going to get everything we need … and prepare our companies for this future.

Very soon we will be returning the vehicle to the fleet and starting the evaluation of performance and user experience that will help us spec the new electric platforms that will replenish our fleet over time. There is lots to the story of this journey but all can be found by following #ENWINEV.

PM me if you have any questions but I will post a picture following the formal reveal (lots of pictures and background in the #ENWINEV thread).

H2Guy said:
There is lots to the story of this journey but all can be found by following #ENWINEV.

PM me if you have any questions but I will post a picture following the formal reveal (lots of pictures and background in the #ENWINEV thread).

The only thing found under "#ENWINEV" is this thread itself?

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=%23ENWINEV&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

FWIW, exchanging information only in private about a project posted in public seems strange; it doesn't do very much to share that information or preserve it for the future. :/

H2Guy said:
I manage about 150 vehicles as the core of our fleet that services the hydro and water needs of our city. These vehicles are 100% maintained by our talented crew of technicians and they work on everything from our UTV’s through to large double bucket trucks. Electrification of certain platforms in the fleet line up is coming and we wanted to get some first hand knowledge in both the operating and maintenance of an electric fleet vehicle.

About 2 years ago my company began conversations with a start-up in our area that was following a successful blueprint they implemented in Germany, California and Mexico. Windsor, On was selected as their Canadian base and we became their first customer. Our project was to convert a 2019 F150 from ICE to electric with a design target to maintain or exceed our key field operating parameters. In May we rolled the vehicle into our bay for the last time and removed the engine and drive train and the rolling chassis was delivered to it’s new temporary home at the local college.

The project is a collaboration of St. Clair College, Automobility Enterprises and ENWIN Utilities to spec, design and implement a fully electric F150 from the ground up. The objectives were primarily to learn and prepare for electric platforms that will eventually come from the OEMs. Will this be better than the Lightning - short answer is no as the OEM clearly has control over all the dimensions of a ground up design and better influence over supplier cost and performance. With our modest targets of 250km range, 110kph top speed, 4 wheel drive and meeting factory towing capacity we are going to get everything we need … and prepare our companies for this future.

Very soon we will be returning the vehicle to the fleet and starting the evaluation of performance and user experience that will help us spec the new electric platforms that will replenish our fleet over time. There is lots to the story of this journey but all can be found by following #ENWINEV.

FWIW, exchanging information only in private about a project posted in public seems strange; it doesn't do very much to share that information or preserve it for the future. :/

Amberwolf - I’m simply trying to respect the Board as I have no interest in promoting my company, our partners or any of the vendors in this forum. I felt the project was worth mentioning here and if people were interested they could follow the progress in the public forums that Warren kindly provided links. Am happy to discuss technical aspects of the project.

H2Guy said:

Amberwolf - I’m simply trying to respect the Board as I have no interest in promoting my company, our partners or any of the vendors in this forum. I felt the project was worth mentioning here and if people were interested they could follow the progress in the public forums that Warren kindly provided links. Am happy to discuss technical aspects of the project.
Ok. Sorry if I sound grumpy; i've been VERY sick for several days (passed out for some of it thankfully, but still have had to experience the rest of it....).

I'm just used to "build threads" that include detailed information so others can come along and either do the same kind of build or adapt to their own, should the need arise. :)

Back