PV NextGen FOC 100-180v 36kw max - $799

Hy Powervelocity
I see that you have a couple of controllers in stock.
Could you please send me on.
I am a "early bird" who payed many year in advance.
Kind regards.
Johan

What controllers do you have for sale a 24 fet is overkill for my Mxus 3000 I would melt it do you have a 18 fetb????? You have my phone number call me let me know what's up let's get a game plan..

Nice, however 900USD is a bit above my budget for my need.
I am looking for a controller to drive a Lightning Rods Big Block XL motor at maybe 10kw for my EEB Enduro Ebike Frame...
Here is my current Enduro ebike with a BBSHD at 4000w+: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJJg4lI_jzUq4WXgESyoPg
My current battery is a 3kWh 72V capable to supply about 100 - 120A max continuous.

Will you also have a smaller NextGen controllers like maybe 20kw or 15kw?

Will your NextGen controllers support PAS, cruise control and be able to calculate bike speed via a Hall/magnet sensor mounted on the wheel?

What about display compatibility like maybe the 750C LCD Display?

Any development on your own display? Any pics to share in here?

Thanks for your hard work.

Cheers
Dan from Canada

There is a special pricing for testers - PM for details. 10-15-20kw versions are available.
To answer your questions, I did test it with both LR big and small block motors on the bench under load and they pass FOC detection and run smooth without issues. Bonus is, since LR is now using IPM motors, max torque per amp (MTPA) and field weakening work as well. I also tested boost charging with these motors and it also works fine.

PAS has been supported in VESC firmware for a couple years now. I just never got to using/testing but it's there if you need it. You rarely need PAS running a bike at 20kw or so. Cruise control support has been there for a very long time.

Wheel speed sensor. Yes, of course, you can do that but why? The firmware sends a wealth of data over CAN/Bluetooth why would you go through a trouble of sensing the speed with a separate hardware if it's already known?

Display. I've started development of the display code a couple of years ago using a NRF52 based smart watch with a capacitive touch display as the hardware platform. Here is some history and a couple of videos https://vesc-project.com/node/1814
In the second video, there is a detection demo of a LR big block motor by the way using this watch display. The display is small but works really well as a primary display on a bike with color scheme and large buttons to be used comfortably on the go. It is also inconspicuous, it doesn't take much space on a bike handlebar like most other displays do. Plus is that it's wireless (aka prevents theft or vandalism), waterproof and can be submerged in water, so it can be used on hydrofoils and alike. With that, if you really need a large display, most VESC compatible displays available from other source should work.

papagino said:
I am looking for a controller to drive a Lightning Rods Big Block XL motor at maybe 10kw for my EEB Enduro Ebike Frame...
Here is my current Enduro ebike with a BBSHD at 4000w+: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJJg4lI_jzUq4WXgESyoPg
My current battery is a 3kWh 72V capable to supply about 100 - 120A max continuous.

Will your NextGen controllers support PAS, cruise control and be able to calculate bike speed via a Hall/magnet sensor mounted on the wheel?

Cheers
Dan from Canada

Powervelocity.com said:
There is a special pricing for testers - PM for details. 10-15-20kw versions are available.
To answer your questions, I did test it with both LR big and small block motors on the bench under load and they pass FOC detection and run smooth without issues. Bonus is, since LR is now using IPM motors, max torque per amp (MTPA) and field weakening work as well. I also tested boost charging with these motors and it also works fine.

PAS has been supported in VESC firmware for a couple years now. I just never got to using/testing but it's there if you need it. You rarely need PAS running a bike at 20kw or so. Cruise control support has been there for a very long time.

Wheel speed sensor. Yes, of course, you can do that but why? The firmware sends a wealth of data over CAN/Bluetooth why would you go through a trouble of sensing the speed with a separate hardware if it's already known?

Display. I've started development of the display code a couple of years ago using a NRF52 based smart watch with a capacitive touch display as the hardware platform. Here is some history and a couple of videos https://vesc-project.com/node/1814
In the second video, there is a detection demo of a LR big block motor by the way using this watch display. The display is small but works really well as a primary display on a bike with color scheme and large buttons to be used comfortably on the go. It is also inconspicuous, it doesn't take much space on a bike handlebar like most other displays do. Plus is that it's wireless (aka prevents theft or vandalism), waterproof and can be submerged in water, so it can be used on hydrofoils and alike. With that, if you really need a large display, most VESC compatible displays available from other source should work.

papagino said:

Cheers
Dan from Canada

I sent you PM message...
Cheers
Dan

The difference is primarily in the voltage ratings of mosfets/switches used and, consequently, the amount of current that you can/need to push at specific voltage to get the power you need. Put it simply, the more voltage you have, the less current you can push before overheating and vice versa. Overall, higher voltage systems win in efficiency because you don't need to push a lot of amps to get the same power, and therefore, dissipate a lot of heat but for lower power setups, low voltage and high current can make sense. This really depends on the application but more power with good efficiency usually requires going higher voltage.

TorgueRPM said:
How do the other specs change with those voltages?

I've been trying to get ahold of you and I need a 7K 18 fet Bluetooth controller. You have answered with only one answer that you have a 24 fet oh that's nice But that's overkill for my bike I will keep trying to correspond with you
Can you help ?

Hy Powervelocity
I see that you have a couple of controllers 10-15-20kw
Could you please tell me witch one will be better for my Bosch SMG 180/120 if possible sensorless.
I am a "peugeothybrid" write you on PM
Kind regards.
Tsankov

I would recommend NextGen FOC controller.
Sensorless works but whether you would still need to use an encoder or hall sensorless depends on the application.
For example, in a boat or a aircraft sensorless will work perfectly. In a motor bike or a car, you still want to have encoder, ideally, for the best starting torque.

peugeothybrid said:
Hy Powervelocity
I see that you have a couple of controllers 10-15-20kw
Could you please tell me witch one will be better for my Bosch SMG 180/120 if possible sensorless.
I am a "peugeothybrid" write you on PM
Kind regards.
Tsankov

yes sure, i will use for a car, the motor Bosch SMG 180/120 work with Resolver, will attache the photo of resolver, is NextGen FOC controller work with resolver or need to diy hall sensors? Can I ordere the controller from site?
thank you

Attachments

• D3BD72BF-4A5F-4A2C-9614-4426C435C32D.jpeg
    D3BD72BF-4A5F-4A2C-9614-4426C435C32D.jpeg
    480 KB · Views: 252
  • BBA89985-8E4B-46EC-8AEF-61266AC4736D.jpeg
    BBA89985-8E4B-46EC-8AEF-61266AC4736D.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 731E3881-2061-4CB1-92E4-F8FE280A24B6.jpeg
    731E3881-2061-4CB1-92E4-F8FE280A24B6.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 252
Powervelocity.com said:

So I'm actually in a very similar boat, I'm looking at upgrading my bbshd with a aftermarket controller and also at building a new bike with a target of around 80~100 battery amps. I would like to see smaller options for someone like me who doesn't need these huge crazy power levels. For example I'm currently looking at Nuculars 6f and 12f, I think at 125pa and 250pa they hit the nail on the head for power to size and price for ebike controllers. But they are not currently producing any so they are not a real option for me which is sad.

For both bikes I would like PAS as at these lower power levels its still nice, now I know when running full power its useless but if I limit pas to say 10% then its still useable and nice. High power levels sure not needed, lower though don't overlook it.

Wheel speed sensor is important for people using gears right? Unless I'm unaware of new tech wouldn't the speed sensor be the only correct speed indication other than gps? (side note I have issues with my phones gps and incorrect readings so I would still prefer a magnet)

I would really like to see a custom display to go along with these controllers though. The watch is cool and unique but for anyone using the controller on a ebike or motorcycle I would find it lacking. Not a huge amount of info can be displayed on it and the fact that its meant to go on someone's wrist means its got to be small which isn't great when its a few feet away on handlebars. As someone whos looked at going with a vesc for my ebike the vesc displays when used on a bike are just not great imo. The only one I can really think of is the davega which isn't bad but still lacks some good information to have that most ebike displays have. Plus its built around being put on a deck and not handle bars and is more expensive than even the best ebike displays. I really like the nucular display, which someone would make one like it for vesc's

If you are looking for a 80-100A <90v controller, you want to check out trampa controllers, like 100v-250A version. Luna also designed a vesc version of controller specifically for bbshd: https://lunacycle.com/secret-v2/ It's 84v limited though.
bbshd even with upgraded gearing is good maybe up to 3kw tops. Assuming you are using a regular bicycle chain and sprockets, that can sustain maybe 1kw before starting to stretch and break. You need at least go-kart type of a chain if push it above 1kw.

NextGen is really designed for 10kw-30kw, that is the performance ebike, light motorcycle segment but it's light (2lb) and compact enough to be used on pretty much any bike.

PAS still makes sense at these levels but I would stick with single highest gear sprocket for reliability. Gear ratio in that case can be set for precise speed/distance calculations, don't need any additional sensors, although if the wheel sensor is an absolute must, one of the controller inputs can be repurposed for that easily (with a simple firmware code update). Phone GPS can be used for speed as well when the phone app is used.

Speaking of the watch display, it doesn't have to go on a wrist, there are handlebar mounting options. It has speed, distance, power and regen outputs, batt charge level, distance before empty, motor and fet temperatures all on a 2 inch display with ability to quickly swipe screens and switch from less to more detailed info. It can basically show all possible telemetry data points that the vesc platform has to offer. As for the display size, it's a matter of perspective. I have so many people telling me they really want a small inconspicuous display on the handlebar and it fills that specific role. However, I realize the need for a larger dashboard for some people and actually have something in the works that should be available pretty soon. It's based on 4.3 inch display, full color, capacitive touch, no hardware buttons.

Bengy22 said:
So I'm actually in a very similar boat, I'm looking at upgrading my bbshd with a aftermarket controller and also at building a new bike with a target of around 80~100 battery amps. I would like to see smaller options for someone like me who doesn't need these huge crazy power levels. For example I'm currently looking at Nuculars 6f and 12f, I think at 125pa and 250pa they hit the nail on the head for power to size and price for ebike controllers. But they are not currently producing any so they are not a real option for me which is sad.

For both bikes I would like PAS as at these lower power levels its still nice, now I know when running full power its useless but if I limit pas to say 10% then its still useable and nice. High power levels sure not needed, lower though don't overlook it.

Wheel speed sensor is important for people using gears right? Unless I'm unaware of new tech wouldn't the speed sensor be the only correct speed indication other than gps? (side note I have issues with my phones gps and incorrect readings so I would still prefer a magnet)

I would really like to see a custom display to go along with these controllers though. The watch is cool and unique but for anyone using the controller on a ebike or motorcycle I would find it lacking. Not a huge amount of info can be displayed on it and the fact that its meant to go on someone's wrist means its got to be small which isn't great when its a few feet away on handlebars. As someone whos looked at going with a vesc for my ebike the vesc displays when used on a bike are just not great imo. The only one I can really think of is the davega which isn't bad but still lacks some good information to have that most ebike displays have. Plus its built around being put on a deck and not handle bars and is more expensive than even the best ebike displays. I really like the nucular display, which someone would make one like it for vesc's

Powervelocity.com said:
If you are looking for a 80-100A <90v controller, you want to check out trampa controllers, like 100v-250A version. Luna also designed a vesc version of controller specifically for bbshd: https://lunacycle.com/secret-v2/ It's 84v limited though.
bbshd even with upgraded gearing is good maybe up to 3kw tops. Assuming you are using a regular bicycle chain and sprockets, that can sustain maybe 1kw before starting to stretch and break. You need at least go-kart type of a chain if push it above 1kw.

NextGen is really designed for 10kw-30kw, that is the performance ebike, light motorcycle segment but it's light (2lb) and compact enough to be used on pretty much any bike.

PAS still makes sense at these levels but I would stick with single highest gear sprocket for reliability. Gear ratio in that case can be set for precise speed/distance calculations, don't need any additional sensors, although if the wheel sensor is an absolute must, one of the controller inputs can be repurposed for that easily (with a simple firmware code update). Phone GPS can be used for speed as well when the phone app is used.

Speaking of the watch display, it doesn't have to go on a wrist, there are handlebar mounting options. It has speed, distance, power and regen outputs, batt charge level, distance before empty, motor and fet temperatures all on a 2 inch display with ability to quickly swipe screens and switch from less to more detailed info. It can basically show all possible telemetry data points that the vesc platform has to offer. As for the display size, it's a matter of perspective. I have so many people telling me they really want a small inconspicuous display on the handlebar and it fills that specific role. However, I realize the need for a larger dashboard for some people and actually have something in the works that should be available pretty soon. It's based on 4.3 inch display, full color, capacitive touch, no hardware buttons.

So I actually did consider the trampa controller but I didn't want to use my phone or the Davega for a display so I scrapped that idea. I tried to get my hands on the luna but they don't want to sell it unless you buy a bike as well, currently inline for the HV bac855 kit but $700 is pretty high for what I want to spend (but it is the best of the best for the bbshd though). I've been running a shunt mod for 45a and while chain stretch has definitely occurred I'm getting around 2k miles per chain, I could probably stretch that further but I don't want to risk being out on a ride and breaking it. The reason I mentioned the speed sensor is if the gear ratio changes like when I do on my mtb cassette it would mess up the speed. Now I've only seen a few bikes that run 8kw+ that still maintain different gears (but with custom sprockets and shifters) so doubt this would really apply to many people though.

So would you have any plans in the future to make a NextGen but less powerful for people like me who don't need the super high power levels?

Oh nice I wasn't aware it could display all of those features, that's very cool. Do you have any photos of how the handlebar mount would look on a bike? I do know displays like the eggrider are popular due to their small size but I'm more of a show me all the data and a big speed readout guy myself. Now that bigger display with capacitive touch sounds exactly like what I would want. Would these displays only work with your controllers or other vesc's as well?

Well, the controller will run happily at lower power levels like 50-100A (and there is always a headroom when you need more).
A 100v version is $100 less, so you can save if you don't plan to run above 95v.

I am familiar with Eggrider (or rather SW102) hardware. There is a nice firmware dev thread for it here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=99698&start=325

I used SW102 as a starting point developing the display firmware for NextGen only to realize that a way better hardware is available for less: full color display with way better resolution, capacitive touch with gesture support (swipe, long press, etc), more memory, light sensors, buzzer, backup battery, functional BT/BLE. The watch display works wirelessly and will run on battery for a few hours but I normally connect 5v USB on a bike (can run directly from a tiny solar panel as well, I've tested). The touchscreen allows to quickly switch screens and allows to set up pretty much anything from the motor detection to throttle right from this little display (don't even need a phone).

Check out this if you haven't yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65g3jR9TUfM

There are a few mounting options for bikes but here is the basic idea:

watch_display.jpg

This display and larger new one are 100% compatible with VESC comm protocol.

Bengy22 said:
So I actually did consider the trampa controller but I didn't want to use my phone or the Davega for a display so I scrapped that idea. I tried to get my hands on the luna but they don't want to sell it unless you buy a bike as well, currently inline for the HV bac855 kit but $700 is pretty high for what I want to spend (but it is the best of the best for the bbshd though). I've been running a shunt mod for 45a and while chain stretch has definitely occurred I'm getting around 2k miles per chain, I could probably stretch that further but I don't want to risk being out on a ride and breaking it. The reason I mentioned the speed sensor is if the gear ratio changes like when I do on my mtb cassette it would mess up the speed. Now I've only seen a few bikes that run 8kw+ that still maintain different gears (but with custom sprockets and shifters) so doubt this would really apply to many people though.

So would you have any plans in the future to make a NextGen but less powerful for people like me who don't need the super high power levels?

Oh nice I wasn't aware it could display all of those features, that's very cool. Do you have any photos of how the handlebar mount would look on a bike? I do know displays like the eggrider are popular due to their small size but I'm more of a show me all the data and a big speed readout guy myself. Now that bigger display with capacitive touch sounds exactly like what I would want. Would these displays only work with your controllers or other vesc's as well?

Back