My Bafang Ultra Mountain Bike! Frey AM1000

no problem. meanwhile I only use vicor dc/dc converters (always bought cheap at Ebay) - indestructable these little vicors. depending on your controller you can use a n-mosfet (original) or p-mosfet (Innotrace, it is all vice versa concerning +/- as shown in my draft). vicors PC port should also work instead of n-channel mosfet but I never tested. circuit is very simple so I made a quick&dirty draft by hand. instead of "light" there would be the dc/dc converter if your light can't take your battery voltage directly.

Attachments

• light.JPG
    light.JPG
    215.4 KB · Views: 1,964
Tom said:
The red queen rides again!

Tom I just want to thank you and everyone else who helped you sort this brake drumming issue out.

I've been putting up with it since 2018. After reading your trials and tribulations I purchased two Magura MDR-P 203mm rotors and some replacement MT5 9C pads.

I installed them today and just went for a ride to bed the new pads in. Problem solved!

Can't believe I put up with it for 4 years.

After taking the old pads out it was clear from the wear pattern that the Storm rotor is not wide enough.

Anyway, thanks again for the solution.

barbarossa said:
no problem. meanwhile I only use vicor dc/dc converters (always bought cheap at Ebay) - indestructable these little vicors...

Thanks for sharing, Barbarossa! I've built the circuit and it works! Couldn't find the vicors for cheap, so I just used another converter with less power (still sufficient).

New country, new challenges. Celebrating the 4+ years of fun with my AM1000 (V5).

[youtube]6LJkPbZUjO0[/youtube]

Tom L said:
Tom said:
The red queen rides again!

Tom I just want to thank you and everyone else who helped you sort this brake drumming issue out.

I've been putting up with it since 2018. After reading your trials and tribulations I purchased two Magura MDR-P 203mm rotors and some replacement MT5 9C pads.

I installed them today and just went for a ride to bed the new pads in. Problem solved!

Can't believe I put up with it for 4 years.

After taking the old pads out it was clear from the wear pattern that the Storm rotor is not wide enough.

Anyway, thanks again for the solution.

Ha, I now have drumroll in my front brake! Not as bad as it was in the rear but the MDR-P rotors didn't completely solve things. I'm hoping when I replace my front pads it will go away.

I'm still running the storm hc (had a few left and is half the price) but I switched from the Magura 9 series to the 8 series (individual pads) and that got rid of the noise. A new disc + brake pads, and then aligning them makes a difference as well.

Cheers

Hi all friends,

Long time no here! this is Ivy come back again.
there are many info and ideas I would like to share about FREY.
And FREY founder may plan a trip to US in September to meet some of FREY bike users have some face to face communication if possible.

Do you know any interesting ebike or MTB event in US?
Anyone knows about?
https://www.outerbike.com/

FREYebikes said:
Hi all friends,

And FREY founder may plan a trip to US in September to meet some of FREY bike users have some face to face communication if possible.

Anyone knows about?

Hello Ivy,

I don't know about the US, but just in case you plan a similar trip in Switzerland, there are several events like this (ex: https://salonvelogeneve.ch/) :)
Usually in addition to the usual stands, they provide also room to try different ebikes and sometimes there are some competitions.
I never attended this one in particular but I went to similar ones in the past.

Thank you for your kind reply! :bigthumb:

Kormyr said:
FREYebikes said:
Hi all friends,

Anyone knows about?

Hello Ivy,

I don't know about the US, but just in case you plan a similar trip in Switzerland, there are several events like this (ex: https://salonvelogeneve.ch/) :)
Usually in addition to the usual stands, they provide also room to try different ebikes and sometimes there are some competitions.
I never attended this one in particular but I went to similar ones in the past.

Question for people smarter than me. I have a Frey AM1000 with the 52v battery pack. The controller died and I ordered another one, but accidentially ordered a 52v controller. The motor is a 48v motor. It seems to work ok, but I emailed Frey to ask if it will cause any damage and they say I need "Besst box needs to download a BESST software, and we will provide the software account to you.Corresponding to the need to brush the program, we will also give you, and how to operate the instructions.
1X BESST Box :150 USD
1X program cable: 15 USD"

does this make sense to anyone? Im kicking myself for buying a $150 controller to need to buy antoher 150 programer.... :confused:

If it works ok then why bother? I doubt it will cause harm to the motor. How did you fry the original controller? Thought my M620 had an issue here but it turned out to be the wiring harness.

I also had a similar problem and suspected the controller.
When unmounting the motor I noticed the melted anderson connectors.
It seems to be a known issue. In the end I replaced them with XT60 and took the opportunity to do a Innotrace controller upgrade.

chilau2000 said:
Hi

Has anyone tried the new Dorado 48V 25Ah 21700 battery on their AM1000.
Thinking of buying or building a high current one for the future if I change the controller to Innotrace.

It is 5 mm higher than my current pack and I can barely fit It in my older model Frey am 1000.

Current pack in picture is 104mm high. 21700 is 109 mm. Won't fit.

Attachments

• 20221113_131234.jpg
    20221113_131234.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 313
Looking into buying a 48V 21Ah battery from Alibaba or similar for my Frey, old battery is in terrible condition. Please recommend a reliable and best value vendor.

Many sellers on Alibabaand all promise good quality. Don't know to which to choose from?

I had a good result with a Unit Pack Power (UPP) battery, but have read negative things about them lately. I would be wary of any Chinese battery. My most recent battery, 52V, 8ah is made in the US by Bicycle Motor Works. You might see if they can manufacture one. I've been using a 52V, 4ah one from them on my BBS02 for the last three years, and it has been bullet proof.

Hello together

I have read some interesting posts on this forum and recently became the owner of an AM1000HT. The main use is my commute of 20 km (there and back). I really like the response of the power levels and the battery range exceeds my expectations significantly.

Bild 1.jpg

Unfortunately, I am struggling with the following problem. The mechanic from whom I bought the AM1000HT fitted me with Super Moto-X V+H 27.5*2.4 from Schwalbe at the rear and front. In a right-hand bend, the tyre jumped off the rim at a pressure of about 2.5 bar. When I subsequently mounted the tyre, I noticed that it slid over the edge of the rim without the slightest effort. The next day, the whole thing repeated itself on a straight driveway. Suspecting a defective tyre, my mechanic replaced the tyre (same product) and inflated it to 3.5 bar. Now the wheel should be observed for a few days. I kept to this and then wanted to do a test ride. First I parked the bike in front of my house. The sun warmed up the tyre slightly, which made the tyre jump off the rim without any further stress. I wanted to deflate it, but the tube burst when I opened the valve, which my ears didn't really like.

Bild 2.jpg
Bild 3.jpg
Bild 4.jpg

My question: Does anyone have experience with this problem ?

Peter1966 said:
question: Does anyone have experience with this problem ?

Hi,

I have an AM1000EX with Super-Moto X tyres (in 2.8 ).
I use it several days a week for commuting also (~50km per day).
I never had this kind of problem, and I use the bike like that for ~6 months.

@SlowCo @Kormyr

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it very much.

The number 62-584 is on the tyre, the rim was supplied by Frey as is and has no markings.
My mechanic is an official dealer (Switzerland) of Frey and has fitted this tyre several times without ever having this problem. He is also puzzled.

Peter1966 said:
The number 62-584 is on the tyre, the rim was supplied by Frey as is and has no markings.

Could be two things: it's a 26" (559) rim and a 27.5" (584) tire or the "cable" inside the rubber edge of the tire has been broken while mounting the tire.
Measure the diameter of the rim by using a non-stretchable rope or (electric) wire around the rim where the tire is seated. Divide the length (in millimeters) of the rope/wire by Pi. That gives you the diameter of the rim. Then see if it is indeed a 27.5" (584mm) rim or a 26" (559mm) rim.
And feel if you can stretch the inside diameter of the tire on the side where it popped of to see if the inside "cable" is broken. Compare if there is a difference in strength/resistance between both sides of the tire.

SlowCo said:
Peter1966 said:

Could be two things: it's a 26" (559) rim and a 27.5" (584) tire or the "cable" inside the rubber edge of the tire has been broken while mounting the tire.
Measure the diameter of the rim by using a non-stretchable rope or (electric) wire around the rim where the tire is seated. Divide the length (in millimeters) of the rope/wire by Pi. That gives you the diameter of the rim. Then see if it is indeed a 27.5" (584mm) rim or a 26" (559mm) rim.
And feel if you can stretch the inside diameter of the tire on the side where it popped of to see if the inside "cable" is broken. Compare if there is a difference in strength/resistance between both sides of the tire.

Since we have replaced the tyre and the problem has repeated itself, I rule out a broken wire. At the moment the rear wheel is at my mechanic because I asked him to replace the rim. The front wheel should have the same rim and there I measure a diameter of 584 mm.

1. Do I need to regrease my Frey Am 1000 Bafang engine or do any service? The bike is about 4 years old, and maybe 1000 km on it IIRC.

Is it done like in this youtube Video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyOslcWzMjw&ab_channel=Biktrix

or this? not sure which model engine is it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NknE1SoLfA

2. Is it possible to reprogram the assist like in thsi video? The current assist is too high at level 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpV_h9twtKk&ab_channel=Stevenc22

1. The engines are sealed for life and I personally would recommend leaving it closed unless you have issues. 1000 km is nothing for these motors, which is a Bafang Ultra M620/G510 on your AM1000 (so 2nd link in case you're wondering).

2. That's not the ultra motor and it's a joke to call it hacking. Search for "Bafang ultra programming cable" on aliexpress or any search engine you want to find the necessary cable. Plenty of videos on that topic as well like: link

Cheers and Enjoy your AM1000 !

Back