E-Brakes !!

Ebrakes

• Yes

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 33 56.9%
  • On Some of My E-Bikes ( for multi bike owners ! )

Votes: 4 6.9%

• Total voters
Is the question "Have already", or "want to have"?

If the latter, then yes, if the former, then no.

I have to redesign the drivetrain to put a clutch on the rear wheel first (like that off an AC compressor in a car, but operating in reverse so it's always engaged unless power is applied or the mechanical linkage is operated), move all the shifting forward of that into the frame, so that I can use regen braking on my motor and still be able to coast.

It's going to take awhile for me to figure out how it's best done.
I want to harness that energy for charging the battery.

Being able to modulate the e-brake with the rear brake lever is my first choice.
Being able to modulate the e-brake with the throttle would be my second choice.

Garden variety e-brake levers are pot-metal crap and don't fit road bars.

le Béte would benefit most from regen braking due to its greater weight.
But, it doesn't have a regen capable controller, AFAICT, (xlyte 72V, 48A, digital)
That might get substituted for a smaller Infenion controller that is capable of regen. (but might need to get beefed up for le Béte)

I've seen informative ES articles and great photos of more than a few different ways to implement and control e-brakes.
It's near time to search the archives and bash it out. (with a little help from my friends)

elaborate a little more. You mean regenerative braking, plug braking, or you mean the ebrake line on controller that cut out power when brake is applied.

Either way, i have none of them ^__^.

Ah. I do have my brake lever rigged to do that, but it's with a magnet and a reed switch on the outside of it. :)

What's funny is that I have that on the outside of the entirely-plastic ScootNGo brake handle, which has a normally-closed switch in it (meaning if I engage the brake, the switch is *closed*) so it turns on the brake lights when I squeeze it. It's pretty crappy, but I havent' gotten round to putting reed switches on the outside of my locking brake lever, arranged so that the magnet holds one closed and the other is open in either position, using one for the throttle cutoff and one for the brake light. :)

I wanted to use the nice brake handles off the Honda scooter that I've already got the left one of on the bars, but the stupid switches in them are worn out and corroded inside, and not easily replaced with anything else due to their custom design. Thinking about using some hall sensors out of computer case fans, since they're switching and not linear. :)

I dont' suppose the ones you have in a box are magnetic rather than cheap switches? If they are magnetic, maybe I could make a deal with you for them, if it's cheap enough (I mean, *really* cheap, unless you could wait a month or two at least).

Dust Collectors here too

I just love my E-brakes!!!! :) They have worked just fine for almost 5000 miles. For normal street use stopping, they are just fine. They look a little cheap as the housing/levers are plastic so you have to be somewhat careful with the brake adjustment screws. My old levers were plastic also. Must be darn good plastic!

I retrofitted a brake lever with a ratiometric hall sensor and magnet, and created a linear feedback on the rear v-brake, but with the v-brake adjusted out to just make contact on a full pull. Gave the best proportional regen results for a smooth electrical braking experience. I don't think i would want just mechanical brakes alone, though if your controller doesn't support proportional regen option you really don't have much of a choice. Having it disconnected from the throttle makes it feel more like a traditional bike.

Back