Bosch Fatpack TORPEDO pics

Here they are, my patent pending DIY Torpedo Fatpacks: easily made in modules of 2,3 (mine is 18 "long) or 4 (24").

Dis assembly of the packs is so easy with a power screwdriver and a torx bit. No cutting of the plastic packs is needed. Careful to tape the wire ends so as not to touch anything. They can be soldered easily though. This is covered on the other Fatpack thread, so I won't mess with those pics.

imgp2842640x480.jpg

imgp2840640x480.jpg

Standard 2x3 inch (approx.) white PVC gutter downspout from any Hardware store needs to be expanded; cut it in half linearly with a saber saw, cut a flat piece from the middle of another length of gutter and use "Blue Glue for PVC to glue it to the bottom using the little grooves to line it up approx. 3/8" wider. Then you have a wider tube that the fatpacks will slide into. Use foam or cardboard to cushion/isolate the terminal ends of each pack and wire them parallel. The middle gap will be covered later with tape.
imgp2845640x480.jpg

imgp2841640x480.jpg

imgp2844640x480.jpg

imgp2850640x480.jpg

imgp2852640x480.jpg

imgp2853640x480.jpg

imgp2852640x480.jpg

imgp2850.jpg

Use Plastic spray paint with hammered metal finish.
imgp2854640x480.jpg

I cut a piece of wood for the end cap and screwed it into the end.

I used a strip of black gaffers tape to cover the middle gap and I used cable ties to tighten the PVC tube around the packs and then strap it to the bike tube with a piece of gray "furniture bumper closed cell foam" for cushioning and alignment. Temporary....
imgp2857640x480.jpg

I could even strap another Torpedo to the bottom of the tube. The controller is there now.

Here is a pic of the charger with one charge plate wired to a pigtail with Andersons. Goes straight to battery for charging/
imgp2861640x480.jpg

imgp2860t.jpg

So far, solid as a rock and the weight distribution is perfect. Rides like a pro.

My next project will be to mount a Ping 15 Ah brick in the frame- it just fits-, and strap the Torpedo under the tube for longer range.... I will probably build another bike, so I can easily exchange packs depending on the ride.

Comments?

That's an exellent idea :wink:

Congrat!.. this PVC house part are a very great idea.

Doc

This has my juices flowing... inspirational indeed... I can see a vertical pole mount on my scooter with this concept in my future. 8)

Very cool! I can handle this build. Are there any weak points to this design? Are there any concerns with charging? How is it protected against LVC?

Thanks for the post!

momo said:
It's about time we start forgetting about duct tape.

Never laugh about duck tape!.. one day.. it may become the only tool you need
8)

It can save your ride if you get a flat and you have some of that tape on your ebike.. it happened to me. I patched the puncture on the tube using it I removed from my batery case and i was able to go back home for the 11km resting... and the tire still had full pressure at home

Doc

The charging is a bit funny.

I used 5.9 Ah / 15 miles with a few long hills and lots of pedaling on my first ride to 32.5 LV and still going but slow. Then came in for its first charge which I baby sat in the garage.

After about 45 min. the charger got warm, the fan and red light came on and it shut off. I guess this is the thermistor on the charge plate. I let it cool a minute and then plugged it in for a full 1 &1/2 hr. charge to 41.0v.

Happened again today without even getting warm.

Any thoughts?

might be a bad solder joint to the thermistor.

Depending on which thermistor type it is (PTC or NTC), if it goes open it might be read as overtemp by the charger.

Very nice idea and well implemented 110% improvement on
duct tape, Duct tape must be the most ghetto way to do things not
too mention how shit house it makes your bike look. These
PVC tubes have a very professional look to them IMO kudos to your SIR on a very effective way to carry your batteries :)

DoctorBass..ever heard of a P U N C T U R E repair kit or S L I M E ? :roll:

KiM

Hey, duct tape and a case of beer got me out of the desert between Yuma and Tuscon once. Didya know a car can run with beer in the radiator?

Pvc stuff is wonderful. Most throttles are pvc, so you can fix or modify em with the pvc glue.

dogman said:
Didya know a car can run with beer in the radiator?

YUP sure did, piss works well if your in a bind too (as in Urine)
Some people often miss it, but your window washer bottle also has a liter or so in it if you keep it topped up ;) Did you know you can take a lead weight off your rim use a steel hub cap as a "pot" light a fire melt the lead and use it to repair the leak in your radiator ;) BUSH Mechanics FTW...No duct tape required :p
KiM

Very streamlined way to mount Fatpacks. I may change over to the downspouts when I am finished testing! Thanks!
otherDoc

Back