DWI while driving a Lazy Boy?

Winters must be long and boring in Northern Minnesota.

This fellow attaches a reclining chair, (hmm I have one about to be scrapped.. hmm) to a gas lawn mower, rides/drives it to the local pub. consumes maybe 9 beers, tries to take his contraption home by the only means available, self propullsion.

hits a parked car.

(This happens about a year ago.)

Gets probation for two years.

I have got to know more details about this.

d
(Minnesota really is in the news today with Airline pilots, and the Vikings with Favre's Nov 1 game against the Packers)

more:
A National Hot Rod Racing Association sticker is posted on the chair's head rest.

The luxury chair, which could reach top speeds of between 15 and 20mph, was even customised with a stereo and cup holders, the Duluth News Tribune said.

the parked car was in a parking lot.

Anderson, 62, told police he was driving just fine until a woman jumped on his luxury La-Z-Boy and caused the crash.

Police in Proctor now plan to sell it off at an auction with other forfeited items, the paper added.

deardancer,

If you do what needs to be done to your recliner, know that folks like myself will consider you an ascended being, above the laws of man and nature.

The question for you is simple: hub motor or other drive system?

I still can't believe he hit a parked car. I mean, BAC of 0.29 or not, check out those headlamps.

more data:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gOYa98FpwDvidD_-q3H0TRrC4bYg

A small town police department in Minnesota will put a motorized lounge chair up for auction next week after it was seized in a drunk driving incident.

The black and blue pleather lounge chair comes complete with stereo, footrest, cupholders, headlights, a nitrous oxide power boost system, drag racing-style steering wheel and a parachute.

Built on top of a riding lawnmower engine, the chair is decorated with stickers proclaiming "hell yeah it's fast" and "I smoked your (expletive)," and can get up to speeds of around 15 miles (24 kilometers) per hour.

It was seized on August 31, 2008 after Dennis LeRoy Anderson, 62, smashed it into a parked car on his way back from a local bar in Proctor, Minnesota.

Anderson told police the only reason he hit the car was because a girl jumped up on the chair.

"We cannot confirm or deny the story," police chief Walter Wobig told AFP.

"The bottom line is it doesn't get him off driving while intoxicated."

Anderson, who Wobig called "a very nice guy," had a blood alcohol level of 0.29 -- more than three times the legal limit. And it wasn't his first drunk driving arrest.

State law allows police to seize vehicles in drunk driving cases and either use them for official use or sell them once a conviction is obtained.

Wobig, who had seen Anderson driving the chair around town for a year or two prior to his arrest, decided it was only fair to treat the chair the same way he would treat a Corvette.

So he stuck it in his garage while Anderson's case made its way through the courts.

Anderson pleaded guilty on Monday and the paper work to transfer ownership to the police department should be completed soon, Wobig said.

It will hit eBay once Wobig can post a notice in Proctor's weekly paper, which comes out on Wednesday.

He's not going to set a reserve price and won't even hazard a guess at what the chair will bring in for his department.

Im stunned what you Americans can get away with driving on the road :-| God knows
what offences you would be charged with here in OZ if you you were caught on the
street with a motorised lounge chair , don't get me wrong i think its
brilliant and feel sorry for the poor fella after puting in all the work building
it he would have to win the bidding on ebay to get it back, that sucks, how the
law get through that Cops are allowed to take peoples veeehicles and use them or
sell them for profit that stinks IMHO....if you or i did that we would
be charged with stealing :-|

KiM

How does one go about emigrating from the US to Australia?

I'm not above begging!

LoL...funny you should ask, just recently the influx of refugees from Asia area have increased dramitically getting boatloads down, of course the media is all over it and they all look like death warmed up from the boat trip (haha the boats i wouldnt go in a bath tub in let alone the open ocean) so the public outcry of sympathy is enormous so the government in their 'infinite wisdom' are rushing these asylum seekers through the through the system and given residency, this email i received few days ago outlines how you should go about it TPA hope to see you here soon buddy LoL-->

'ASYLUM'

Today's program features another chance to take part in our exciting competition:
Hop on a boat
And win
A FREE HOUSE!

We've already given away hundreds of millions of dollars and thousands of dream homes, courtesy of our sponsor,
The Australian Taxpayer.

And don't forget, we're now the fastest growing game on the planet.
Anyone can play, provided they don't already hold a valid Australian Passport, and you only need one word of English:

'ASYLUM'

Prizes include all-expenses-paid accommodation, cash benefits starting at $800 a week and a chance to earn thousands more begging, mugging and
accosting drivers at traffic lights.
This competition is open to everyone
just buy a ticket to Indonesia
And catch the first available boat.
No application ever refused - reasonable or unreasonable.
All you have to do is destroy all your papers or burn your boat once you
enter Australian waters and remember the magic password:

'ASYLUM'

A few years ago, 140 members of the Taliban family from Afghanistan were flown Goat Class from Kabul to Indonesia’s gateway where agents were on hand to fast-track them to their boat trips to luxury accommodation.
They joined tens of thousands of other lucky winners already staying in hotels all over Australia ..
Our most popular destinations also include the Baxter’s Reef and the world famous Christmas Island Resort.
If you still don't understand the rules, don't forget, there's no need to phone a friend or ask the audience
Just apply for legal aid.
Hundreds of lawyers, social workers and counsellors are waiting to help.
It won't cost you a penny.
It could change your life forever .
So play today.

Iraqi terrorists, Afghan dissidents, Albanian gangsters, pro-Pinochet
activists, anti-Pinochet activists, Kosovo drug-smugglers, Tamil tigers,
bogus Bosnians, Rwandan mass murderers, Somali guerrillas...

COME ON DOWN!

Get along to the Indonesia fishing ports
Don't stop in Thailand or Bali
Go straight to Australia
And you are:

GUARANTEED

to be one of tens of thousands of lucky winners in the easiest game on earth.
Everyone's a winner, when they play

'ASYLUM'

FORWARD THIS TO EVERY AUSTRALIAN TAXPAYER YOU KNOW!

wasn't DWI laws intended to keep people safe? Has anyone ever died after being hit by a Lazy-boy recliner? seriously. He should act as his own lawyer and tell the jury what I just said.

i sold one of my trikes to a older fella that was an alcoholic. he had no drivers license but plenty of money. he bought the trike, i slowed it down to 22 mph and now he is in jail doing two years for his seventh DUI conviction . You can get a DUI in Florida for driving anything including a bicycle does does not need a lincence..lol He was on the greenway drunk lol and they put his butt away and took the bike

diver said:
You can get a DUI in Florida for driving anything including a bicycle does does not need a lincence.

Same here in OZ..Can be charged for sailing a boat while under the influence also.

morph999 said:
He should act as his own lawyer and tell the jury what I just said.

"person that defends himself has a fool for a lawyer"

KiM

AussieJester said:
diver said:
You can get a DUI in Florida for driving anything including a bicycle does does not need a lincence.

Same here in OZ..Can be charged for sailing a boat while under the influence also.

morph999 said:
He should act as his own lawyer and tell the jury what I just said.

"person that defends himself has a fool for a lawyer"

KiM
That's so true. Biscayne Bay on a weekend day or night can be practically a place of suicide,
what with all of the big, fast boats, piloted by beer-soused drivers.

I've not heard of any drunken bicyclists yet...they must exist...for a few seconds before Soccer SUV Mommy clears the road of 'em.

----

LOVE the new policy here, btw... it keeps one from becoming lazy, if not blind as I nearly am:

ScreenShot115.jpg

edit: I hope I can still edit this error-filled posting. It's a nag's bag of wormy oats.
------
TIME OUT. NO beer. Cheers to KiM!
Reid,

out like a light.

PS: that strange artifact in the screenshot is not contentional, at all:
it is a courtesy link-back to E.S. , seen only at the EFFO index page...I don't understand
why the link shows in the ES screenshot. It is not a....tease or "advert" at all. In fact,
the link does not even look in life, like the screenshot...It was not "visible" when I made the Gadwin (freeware, get it)
screenshot.

I hope this PPPPPPS edit posts!

Back