Infinite Edit Time

Should we allow infinite edit time for posting or topics?

• Yes, keep it the way it is now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but can we set a time limit on how long you have to edit?

• No, you can't edit anything once you post it!

• No Opinion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
^ ^
I see green! I see green for miles at night!

Kind sir, where can I find Paul/Knoxie these days?
Do you know if he is still into ebiking? He made such wonderful videos and documentaries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for your always being one of the Gentle Ones.

R.....Nick!

[youtube]sic_2r7-bHI[/youtube]
http://www.nicklucas.com/biography.html
Ask any of the rock and roll greats about Nick....

Miles said:
We're all hoping to see Paul at our next meet in Brighton. I'm not sure what he's doing, now...

IF you see him, please to tell him I miss him like I miss Dom and...

and he can reach me easily at EFFFO (click username)

If Paul would plant his old videos there, that would be a grace for all concerned.
EFFFO is to be a compliment to ES, and a repository, never to be pruned nor defaced,
as far as can be made possible.

I am an ES man, at heart, though.

Thank you Miles. Brighton! The annual Veteran Car run!

Any steamybikes in the line-up this year? :lol:

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/steambike/steambike.htm

Miles said:
It would be good to have this one there:
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattle/nacc/arc0373.htm
OH my, we are OT! :p

For those of you across the oceans, meet Mr. Roper: America's most competent and amazing steam bi-wheeled man.

He lived a long life, inventing many refinements for small, high output steam engines.

He died, in the saddle, at a race, over aged seventy. Amazing

http://www.stanleymotorcarriage.com/SteamPacingBike/index.htm
Steam%20Bike%20Crash.jpg

Reid Welch said:
Have not read this thread. It's too much to sort through. 73% voted to leave the edit feature alone.
They lost. They are NOT ES owners, but vassals, poll-teased, as if their votes really counted for anything more than fish-wishes.

In brief: Yesterday the edit-ability time was cut from infinite, to something like one hour.

This makes it impossible for me to fix old postings, all of which are liable to contain typos, missed words, inserted wordings that ruin the meaning of intent.

Right of the poster: it's HIS copyright stuff. Maybe he wants later to make a book (not likely).
If E.S. takes the attitude (understandable) of LOCKING the poster from removing his content,

yeah, sure, gaping holes in the database result from resigned, disgusted members.
SO WHAT? It was the poster's intellectual property!
Xyster was "difficult" as I am. Yet it was his thought and thought power that energized this place.
Same goes for "crazy" Randy Draper, etc.

Reid is simply and self-servingly wrong:

The poll was not a contest, it was data collection: No winners, losers or prizes.

Contributors have no rights. If they wish rights, they should not post to discussion groups where the site operators retain copyright to all submitted content.

Xyster did not make himself the nuisance that Safe, Randy, DeafScooter, Nuts&Volts and Reid made of themselves. That is why he was not banned.

Paul Knox and Jozzer found their positions on issues indefensible and bailed, rather than admit their mistakes.

If members wish to have their posts maintained, it might be a good idea to provide thoughtful insight by reading the topics and taking time to edit *before* posting; rather than maligning the board operators with inaccurate and misleading missives.

You know, we should make a poll, Mr. "tyler".

Do you have a real name, a first name, even?

Like Judge of All Men?

That would be a fitting name for you, sire!
You are so typical of the MORass of menTALity

fasciscm, it's called, mister not tyler. FASCISM is what people here run away from,

MISTER "tyler".

Reid Welch
3901 Hardie Rd.
Coconut Grove. Fl.

Come And Get Me, sir!

[youtube]RmKdEBDdD3c[/youtube]

Sir, my paternal grandfather did not choose me, sir.
But, by chance, I am his grand son. Two words, sir.
AT A TIME of extreme, open, USA anti-semitism, he SAVED the lives of an Austrian physcian and wife,
and, I think, but do not know, their children: he personally sponsored (paid for) their immigration of escape from Austria,
just before 1939, at a time when our "Great" Lindbergh was ESPOUSING in public, all of the Nazi cause; which our Henry Ford
had made viable some years before, by telling Hitler-cronies and Hitler, that they were all A-OK by him, the most powerful industrialist in the world.
In essence, Charles Lindbergh and Henry Ford, enabled, emboldened, Hitler's kamph to foment yet another World War. P.B. Welch saved but one family.
He also was a great surgeon. P.B also invented, in his hobby time, the very first, the very CONCEPT of the window air conditioner.
I hope that you have a window air conditioner, and that it is set to blast full-cold air upon you every night of this winter, sir.

And... I am not proud, but lucky, chance of birth is all, to be close kin, first cousin, of Pearson below.
Listen to "me" speak. That is ME, sir, incarnate again, tonight, sir.

Good bye. Typos r. me.

Reid Welch said:
You know, we should make a poll, Mr. "tyler".

Do you have a real name, a first name, even?

Like Judge of All Men?

That would be a fitting name for you, sire!
You are so typical of the MORass of menTALity

fasciscm, it's called, mister not tyler. FASCISM is what people here run away from,

MISTER "tyler".

Reid Welch
3901 Hardie Rd.
Coconut Grove. Fl.

Come And Get Me, sir!
Perhaps posts pertinent to the subject of Electric Vehicle Technology are beyond the capacity of some members; who in turn, post errata, straw-man fallacies and ad-hominem attacks.

TylerDurden said:
Perhaps posts pertinent to the subject of Electric Vehicle Technology are beyond the capacity of some members; who in turn, post errata, straw-man fallacies and ad-hominem attacks.
It's a mite chilly for most members at this time of year to go and ebike away. I am lucky again, that I live in a tropical clime,
and if I were physically well, I would be PEDALING my modest Trek Lime. The ebike here is broken, and I have not the great mastery of you, to make it whole again,
not at this time. When I grow stronger, and have pushed away some of the dark forces of fascism (figuatively speaking) I will deal again with the ebike, sir.

I have made hundreds if not THOUSANDS of purely technical postings for this forum, sir,
including this particular YT account, one of many of my YT accounts:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ampdavolts

sample for Tyler, "Mr. Ebike Only", Durden:

"baby, get it right...where the hell you get off, thinking...?

[youtube]NeKgmCdiEbQ[/youtube]

define ad-hominem attacks
straw-man fallacies

ERRATA is the dots that connect YOU to the cow that jumps over the moon, your type...
twists and distorts and NEVER cites nor examples, but only spews nonsense that educated people can see right through,
but they'd best pinch their noses whilst in proximity. I enlisted in time of war. Where are you then, or today?
If I were twenty, I'd be in the Armed Services, even though I loathe war, and our current wars in particular.

I'll ask you this, Mr. Tyler ,
IF you are an "in betweener", GOOD, but then why did you not enlist (or did you), for a two year hitch
to be of aid to the nation that gave you this Liberty to be a fake-name person on this internet, and bedevil
real-named persons WHO DID ENLIST during wartime (Vietnam, the Other Unwinnable war of USA Aggression)?

Are you disabled? If so, I apologize.

Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country

Typing practice...my aging eyes are going blurry. I can only see red at the 'mo, sir.

I will play groucho and you play "rodney"?
[youtube]3wNK1Jt4JLg[/youtube]
The Secret Word is worth $100, and is a common object found in a house....

PS: the new and unfortunate-for-freedom NO EDIT AFTER ONE HOUR non-option, unfortunatey
makes it impossible to insert my phone number into the posting above..

Tyler,
I am at 305 666 0777
It is my own number (ernie pays for it).
Is is a land line, not a cell phony number.
It has an ans. machine.
I am usually by the phone, about 20 per, sometimes less.
There is no caller ID.
Why don't you phone me sometime and we'll discourse in a civil manner,
and possibly iron out our mutual crinkles?

I'm game for a "fight". Are you?

PPPS:

I forewarn you, Tyler, that I am a high school dropout, and do not know big word, not much,
except for the verbals I learned via serf-education in the Hard Knocks School of Strife, the same, nearly, as did Lincoln.
I am no LIncoln though, at all. But we share two or three basic traits: we are both self-trained masters of words,
and neither of us back down from a good tussle, and we never lie, and we like to make fun of ourselves, and just,
in general get along until that day when the Derringer ball strikes us out.

A. Lincoln (type)
His Hand and Pen.
He will be Good
But only God knows when

He was our only poet President.
He wrote the first ever narrative poem dealing with the disorder now known as "schizophrenia",
a most masterful narrative, imo. I can write like Lincoln, too, in a way, for Grace.

LINCOLN, the poet

WELCH, the poet

I am not Lincoln
By a long shot.
Yet,
I do have balls
Of lead that's hot.

Remembering what matters...

"Trust the poem, not the poet."

Oedipus' years of banishment brought him no wisdom either. If there is a tragedy here, it is that Reid's worthy contributions have been submerged in his own deluge, of what is best described as discharge.

Oedipus might have needed more time. Much more.

TylerDurden said:
"Trust the poem, not the poet."
If there is a tragedy here, it is that Reid's worthy contributions have been submerged in his own deluge, of what is best described as discharge.
That's fair in discharge of one's spleen.

Of thirty five thousand poems at Poetry Critical, which one is in the top rated list of fifteen?
Ad Hom-nym rudeness most applies to you tonight, though I've been no angel. Neither have I been a liar or "straw man".

http://www.poetrycritical.net/read/58156/
FERN, number nine of thirty five thousand.
Non fiction. It must be OK, for it's a Rex, not an Oedipus, sir.

Resonance, OT (you trolled me, i simply bob your sinker under the waterline)

Understand the house-rules, play at your peril.

Board owners rightfully retain control of all content to protect against liability. That control is usually acknowledged in a EULA, as a requirement for participation.

Original work under copyright uploaded to a board must be used with permission. Because its integrity exists outside of the board, its inclusion or deletion has no bearing on the work-owners' rights.

Original work published directly to a board falls under the EULA (or terms of service, etc.); which usually includes revision-at-will language, to further protect the owner's ability to revise and update EULA terms as needed.

ie:
You can paint your house any color you wish; but your guests who wish to help, must agree with your instructions, lest you wind up with a house without consistency, quality of workmanship and value.

Another item to consider is how many times do you want to re-read a thread you have already read.. if things keep mutating via countless edits.. pages back.. i don't like back-tracking looking for " find the 8 different things in this picture " game.

just another point.

edit : kinda like my day job, nobody liked change, but it is a fact of life

TylerDurden said:
Original work under copyright uploaded to a board must be used with permission. Because its integrity exists outside of the board, its inclusion or deletion has no bearing on the work-owners' rights.

Original work published directly to a board falls under the EULA (or terms of service, etc.); which usually includes revision-at-will language, to further protect the owner's ability to revise and update EULA terms as needed.

Bla...bla...bla...
You can give it a rest with the legal nonsense, as if there is going to be legal ramifications or something as a result of members actions here. *rolls eyes*.

It seems that 1 hour to edit a post is plenty. At another board the time limit is 30 minutes. the same argument goes on over there and this is since 1997!

1.This is a sore subject on any board and will never be resolved by the community. Posting a poll about it was a mistake to begin with as this is a policy matter and should be handled by the staff. We see that this realization dawned upon the staff when they went against 70+% of the membership. Having said that, they made the right decision in the end. When the decision was made an EXPLANATION should have been given to the community as to why something was done. Maybe it was - I didn't look as I don't really care about this issue that much- it's pretty much a no-brainer.

2. Without a limit on post editing, there will come a day when someone will get caught in a lie or whatever and will try to backtrack and cover their ass with edits. Leaving the thread useless for future visitors. For this reason and others it is common practice to have an edit time limit.

3. In the event that there is some glaring mistake or misinformation that is important to the integrity of the boards, then the member can PM and Admin and that Admin can edit the post for that member and place an appropriate editing message. Or as mentioned previously, a member can post a correction to the tread in another post and another crisis shall have passed.

########################################

Another pitfall that the staff here ought to be concerned about is that even with post editing limitation, you can still trash the boards if you know what you are doing.

Example: Any technical or how-to or e.g. "important" threads that contain images and information should ALWAYS be stored on the ES server NOT linked to. Any member that did a lot of research work etc and posted pics, diagrams, excerpts etc., can get pissed and simply move his information off their linked to location, breaking the links. We had this happen on another technical board and a guy got pissed in an argument and did just that, trashing years of threads. But, there was little we could do except try to salvage as much as we could from backups of the site whilst he lurked and laughed.

By the way Tyler, the site where this happened is worth in the millions of dollars, with nearly a half million members ( in the top 4,000 of all sites on the Internet ) the action by the member did considerable damage and yet no legal action was taken. There is a full time (real) attorney that acts as an administrator on the site too that would have done the work for free for the site.

In short, the post editing limitation is a necessary evil. Just my 2 cents.

EMF said:
Oh give it frocking rest with the legal bullshit, nobody gives a damn, you just look foolish spouting off as if there is going to be legal ramifications or something.
We have had death threats posted already. Tell me Michael Brown doesn't give a damn.

amberwolf said:
I am fine with only being able to edit up until someone else posts after you. As soon as a followup post is submitted, nothing before that in the thread can be edited.

I've beta tested forums (like OtakuBooty) that had no edit function at all.

That particular forum now has a *append* edit function, after much demand, which leaves all original content intact and simply appends whatever you "edit" to the end of the post you edited. [/size]

I would strongly support an infinite append time, while retaining limited editing time. If an append feature was to be added, I think the content should go at the top so people can see what additional information was made to the thread before reading it although that's really not that important.

Also, the phpbb forum software is open source so it's just a matter of adding the necessary source code. I've already emailed knightmb about possibly being a contributor to the forum's software infrastructure, but he's never replied, so I think the tepid support for user involvement is only going to amplify the evident increasing rigidity of the forums.

TylerDurden said:
EMF said:
Oh give it frocking rest with the legal bullshit, nobody gives a damn, you just look foolish spouting off as if there is going to be legal ramifications or something.
We have had death threats posted already. Tell me Michael Brown doesn't give a damn.

Go get him Serpico! I am sure the local authorities will be intrigued with your story.

The edit time now been reduced to 1 hour. We'll see how this works out.
If anyone needs to edit something after the 1hr window, you can contact me.

swbluto said:
amberwolf said:
I am fine with only being able to edit up until someone else posts after you. As soon as a followup post is submitted, nothing before that in the thread can be edited.

I've beta tested forums (like OtakuBooty) that had no edit function at all.

That particular forum now has a *append* edit function, after much demand, which leaves all original content intact and simply appends whatever you "edit" to the end of the post you edited. [/size]

I would strongly support an infinite append time, while retaining limited editing time. If an append feature was to be added, I think the content should go at the top so people can see what additional information was made to the thread before reading it although that's really not that important.

Also, the phpbb forum software is open source so it's just a matter of adding the necessary source code. I've already emailed knightmb about possibly being a contributor to the forum's software infrastructure, but he's never replied, so I think the tepid support for user involvement is only going to amplify the evident increasing rigidity of the forums.
I add just this: I agree with Management here: it is their forum. Content OF the writer should never be destroyed, not by Management. And it really should never be destroyed by a huffed-puffed angry member.

This proposition of one's being able to =append= new or corrective information to one's old post,
is of absolutely sound logic. I would second the motion of Mr. swbluto, had I a word or vote on the subject.

APPENDING....post...postings: this was and is a supportive appeal in favor of the proposition of swbluto.

I suppose an "ammend" feature, or the ability to "add" content to ones own posts at some later time might be bennificial and especially on here where posts can get rather technical when it comes to schematics. But for most instances would it be any more effective than just adding a new post to the thread which automatically 'bumps' the thread.

Have just composed, first draft, a condensation of thirty five years practical experience;
the posting will require additions and citations that our new policy prevents, unless "appends" can someday be made.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13795&p=205163#p205163
PS: IF you click, come right the frack-back HERE.
I do not siphon forums' readers for any gain,
other than whatever boost that the 'stats counter' may afford
to my flagging spirit...... *waves white flag of resignation here*

----
Now, I have copied my fresh ES text to the other place,
http://endlessfreedom.freeforums.org/lubrication-theory-and-practice-a-primer-for-bikers-t116.html
and there I can correct, refine, add citations, and build a virtual book of the -essentials- without making it two hundred pages of arcane data. EFFFO has no edit-time limits, my choice.

It is the forum owners' rights to lock or close posts. And no one "policy" will please all, can it?
So we have two forums now, and they are sibling forums, if the management here will so-permit.
And the one will be run differently than the other. And this is, imo, right and proper and moral, too.

And if an unhappy camper decides to decamp and take all his toys away:
he ends up bereft, self-annihilated, small, and lost to the prospect of being of any use to his posterity.
But, in my opinion, which counts for nothing here, the poster SHOULD be able do whatever the heck he wants;
it's his data.

And..."gaping holes" can be prevented...by simple QUOTING of the author whom one is responding to,

in case he, the uh, suicidal ninny, (am near that point, myself, and wonder if N&V has died of suicide,,, should a wo/man ever quit in dismay...his content, thusly remains here at ES, in the quote-boxed reminder,

and there are NO gaps, then, IF the respondent happens to remember, or care-to, quote-box when s/he writes.

end on an up-beat: am so odd!...never tire of Lloyd quoting Ling Po:

[youtube]2SJxpouYg_w[/youtube]
"Now, there's a girl who'd make a good wife for you..."
"Say, you're not sorry you socked Morgan, are you?"
"No...I'm not...and therein lies the problem."

Back