Push trailer, I'm building one, too.

Show off your E-bike creation here.
Julez   1 W

1 W

Push trailer, I'm building one, too.

Post by Julez » Mar 06 2009 12:47pm

Hi!

When I was thinking about eBiking last year, I figured permanently electrifying my bike would make it too unflexible.
Therefore, I started building a push trailer early this year.
The basis is a steel frame from eBay.
I did not like the bag inside that much, so I bought some 1mm aluminium plates, pop rivets and pliers, and gave it a nice aluminium body.
I will use a Crystalyte 406 with a 18" rim instead of the supplied 16" wheel. I made dropouts from 6mm steel, which will be bolted on the aluminium beams which I bolted unter the trailer.
Between the trailer body and the wheel, the 48V 16Ah Ping battery will be located on a steel box, which is currently on the way to me. Under the box, between the beams, the infineon controller from ecrazyman / Keywin will be mounted.
The fixing adaptors for the trailer will be located at the rear dropouts of my bike.
Attachments
a1.jpg
a1.jpg (77.72 KiB) Viewed 3872 times
a2.jpg
a2.jpg (62.2 KiB) Viewed 3872 times
a3.jpg
a3.jpg (70.55 KiB) Viewed 3871 times
Anhänger 004.jpg
Anhänger 005.jpg
Anhänger 006.jpg
Anhänger 007.jpg
Anhänger 007.jpg (154.35 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
Anhänger 008.jpg

Rassy   10 MW

10 MW

Re: Push trailer, I'm building one, too.

Post by Rassy » Mar 06 2009 12:56pm

Hi Julez. Nice looking job converting the trailer to what you want. Similar to a Bob trailer. I really like the kick stand on the trailer. May have to make something similar for my Bob.

Let us know how it works out.
-Rassy-

Two Delta Trikes equipped with a Bafang BBS02
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=88536&p=1291260#p1291260

Julez   1 W

1 W

Post by Julez » Mar 07 2009 2:56pm

Hi Rassy, thanks :D

Today the Motor and the box for the battery arrived, the latter just got a paint job.
You can see the steel dropouts, which fit perfectly to the motor.
I also prepared two stainless steel strips which I will use to fix the contraption to my bike. I do not like the original fasteners which are mounted to the rear axle, as they will make it more complicated to remove the wheel.
Attachments
Anhänger 016.jpg
Anhänger 016.jpg (124.73 KiB) Viewed 5523 times
Anhänger 017.jpg
Anhänger 017.jpg (148.67 KiB) Viewed 3764 times

gogo   10 MW

10 MW

Post by gogo » Mar 07 2009 7:33pm

Push trailers have their merits, without a doubt.

Did you see this tread yet?
Bob's bike pusher trailer project.
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking." -Steven Wright

Julez   1 W

1 W

Post by Julez » Mar 08 2009 2:09pm

No, but it looks cool!

I just ordered the final electrical parts like control wire, a waterproof switch, and plastic spray to make the controller PCB waterproof if something leaks in.
The battery box got its second layer of paint.
Thursday, I will make the final parts like aluminium strips to bolt the fender mounts on, and next weekend the whole thing will finally be assembled.
I cant wait... :roll:

dontsendbubbamail   10 kW

10 kW

Post by dontsendbubbamail » Mar 10 2009 11:19am

Julez,

A kickstand is a must have item on one wheel trailers. I am carrying around a short stool that I use as a kickstand until I get around to building one. Thanks for your pictures, they give me a big jump on designing one for my trailer. I never have liked my trailer hitch, because it was basically a quick release skewer replacement, so I am looking for other ideas. I found that putting the batteries down low along either side of the wheel made handling a lot better.

1. What is the load rating for the trailer?
2. Where did you order the trailer from?
3. Can you give us a better picture of the factory hitch?

Bubba

grwsaltspring   10 W

10 W

Post by grwsaltspring » Mar 10 2009 10:19pm

Hi Julez;

Good looking pusher!

Seeing this is inspiring me to get on with my own project so thanks.

Cheers

Julez   1 W

1 W

Post by Julez » Mar 11 2009 7:50am

Hi Guys,

update time :D
Yesterday I got the motor spinning for the first time with my Infineon controller. It is like they were made for each other: After cutting of the standard connectors, replacing the power wires with 4mm bullet connectors, and the hall connectors with 2.54mm row headers, I simply plugged the corresponding colors together, and voila: Instant success, even in the right direction 8)
The motor spins at around 500rpm, one can see the black markings attached for my RC plane rpm-meter.
The battery box turned out quite nice, today I will drill all kinds of holes for connectors and switches and screws.

One can get this trailer at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.de/sonstige-Fahrrad-A ... 712&sr=1-1

I got it from ebay for 10 bucks cheaper.
The max load is 40kg, but I belive it can do more.

I also got the CAD done for the last missing sheet metal parts.

This brings me to the question of the hitch connection. One can see in the photos attached, that it consists of large metal strips with a hole for the axle and a threaded hole for quick release fasteners. I do not like to fasten it on the axle, as this leaves no space for the rear gear shift thing protector, so I thought of something new: My dropouts have two M5 holes above the axle. On these, I will fasten two 2mm stainless steel strips wth M5 screws. On thes strips, I will screw on the sawed-off ends of the original strips with four M4 screws. I consider this a better solution.

The part with the 12mm hole will be made of 1,5mm stainless steel fixed at the motor axle, and will hold the mounting wire for the fender.
The large complicated part is made of 2mm aluminium, and will be camferd at the dashed lines 90°.
The will be mounted in front of the wheel between the aluminium beams, and will both serve as a holder for the fender, and to increase stiffness of the beam contraption. Perhaps it will also hold a lock for the wheel once.

Cheers,

Julez
Attachments
Anhänger 018.jpg
Anhänger 019.jpg
Anhänger 020.jpg
Anhänger Befestigung.gif
Hitch holder.
Anhänger Befestigung.gif (7.23 KiB) Viewed 771 times
Anhänger Befestigungsblech.gif
For the fender.
Anhänger Befestigungsblech.gif (6.18 KiB) Viewed 3781 times
Anhänger Verbindungsblech.gif
Anhänger Verbindungsblech.gif (10.68 KiB) Viewed 769 times

Julez   1 W

1 W

Post by Julez » Nov 29 2009 10:04am

Hi!

Update time again. :D
I have this trailer in working condition since the end of March, and it has been working great! Not a single problem ever, perfectly reliable just from day 1. The original slim tyre was worn out halfway after the first month, so I replaced it with a scooter tyre. A 14" Michelin M29S is dirt cheap, and fits a 18" rim perfectly, since the diameter is measured at a differnt place on motorcycles and bicycles. The big tyre looks better anyways, and does not show any sign of wear so far.
The contraption makes about 30km/h, and has a range of 30km at least. We had a lot of rain recently, but this does not show, everything seems to be reasonably waterproof.
Overall, I am very happy with this construction, and I ride around 10km daily.

The pictures come from our "Maitour". Local people always gather on May 1st to make a large bike tour with barbecue, beer, and fun.

Cheers,

Julez
Attachments
Maitour 2009 001.jpg
Maitour 2009 006.jpg
Maitour 2009 004.jpg
Maitour 2009 005.jpg
Maitour 2009 005.jpg (212.28 KiB) Viewed 3324 times