Building a custom e-bike frame

Dude, you are truly one gifted fabricator..

Mucho impressed :mrgreen:

Awesome, the enclosed chain looks quite nice.

Both your new project and Stealth Electric Bike's Stealth Fighter use the same 2 speed BB.

I've used it and it works well. It's a nice match for an ebike and the single speed driveline is nice and neat and doesn't slap around.

We'd love to see more details on the watercooling!

:shock: Wow man, that is extremely awesome. You are one BAMF! Hopefully the acronym doesn't get me in trouble... :roll:

dequinox said:
:shock: Wow man, that is extremely awesome. You are one BAMF! Hopefully the acronym doesn't get me in trouble... :roll:

naaagh Hal knows hes a bad ass mother frocker as do the rest of us, he has L337 skills does our Hal ... Top job BTW mate
hows progress coming along? I think you have the hub boyz wet over your watercooled motor hehe get it wet..watercooled motor LoL.. :p
What heat exchanger will you be using Hal? pc watercooling companies have a HEAP of nice size radiators that would be perfect for the job.
Thermochil being one of the most efficient radiators on the market (also the dearest) Laing mcp-355 pumps would be a great choice to circulate the water too..

KiM

the liquid cooled hub is finished completly in theory. I am trying to find someone to make it. Kenny is not thrilled to do it. We will see... The motor is 8,5 kg and I hope it will have some 2kw cooling power so that means it can run constantly with 85% eff on some 13kw. It is fully modular so it can have small cooler with fan inside or it can be hosed on some bigger cooler outside. Plan is that swingarm get fins an become cooler...

lcx5.jpg

Very nice Hal, dunno about the swing arm working well as the heat exchanger though buddy
Personally i would LOVE too see a rad hanging off the front down tube and a lil pump circulating
the water, they draw fark all power i use two of them in my pc and 2 radiators too cool the CPU GPU and HDD :p

You know what your doing though so i shall sit back in awe and watch it unfold :)

Best of luck getting it build Hal ;)

KiM

wow, what a nice job!!!

Great work Hal !!

Please can you show us more details about that desing?

Doc

zakon hallllllllllll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

svaka cast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is something that I couldn't move along without. The notching machine. I made it out of single sheet of 8mm steel plate (1x2m).
-5 axis of freedom
-minimum angle is 8°
-for 19-80mm pipes
If anybody is interesting I can send him DXF for cutting pieces of puzzle.

noer-1.jpg

noer_1.jpg

where do you buy those disk brake(305mm)?
I was very impressed!

What a nice tubing notcher! Damn! That would save me so much time making roll cages! It's so easy to mess up when you're trying to hand-grind tubes for 3 and 4 way intersections. I don't have the quality of trained beavers running my Metabo that KiM uses. :)

Hi Hal; Very impressed by your build- if I might make a couple of suggestions- your data read-out box, I would have gone with the top and bottom al plates as you did, but with a inexpesive plastic spacer.

Using a wire welder, you could use a spatter off type material around the weld area to keep from having to clean up the weld spatter.

If you could a TIG welder you can make a more even weld- maybe Argon is too expensive?

AJ: If you can do 100 tubes / hour I 'll install you. What the hel, I'll take you even at 1tube/hour, I bet you are more fun than this machine. ;)

nuvola: I made them. They can be instaled only on my custom hub 20mm axle with 90mm x 8 holes

live4fiziks: I can send you dxf. You can cut it on water-jet and it can came out realy cheap.

JEB: Actualy that case was part of a bet. The bet was that I can't make design just to cut it and bring home and fully assembled with max 5 pcs of tool that can fit in my pocket and wight less then 1/2 kg. I won the bet :)

HAL9000v2.0 said:
I bet you are more fun than this machine. ;)

Maybe so Hal, but i would also drink all the beer in your fridge so i cost more to "run" hehehee...

tiz a top bit of gear mate very pro and for repetition work its a must have no doubt...

KiM

Hey did you ever finish the canopy? I'm interested in one of these frames. They look beautiful and raw like an american sports car from the 70's.

Also what size SLAs are mounted in there? Did you find a more permanent mounting system besides bungee cords?

I can definitely see myself building one of these over buying a cheap motorcycle or car at the same price!

Hey what do you all think about "soft tail" suspension systems?

It seems like it would be simple, light, and cheap.

Obviously not good for trail riding, but the 1 inch of play might be good enough for handling pot holes at +20 mph.

The moots ybb is made of titanium and costs as much as a small car.

4184379231_e38b5a4e5e.jpg

The salsa dos niner is ONLY $1000.

bikes_dosniner1.jpg

mid-solo1.jpg

The KHS solo one was available as a soft tail in 2005 for $600. Chromoly too. I wish they still made it!

The cheapest I've found is a Schwinn midtown for $300 through costco.

409554.jpg

The frame geometry doesn't look good for mounting batteries.

Somehow I miss some posts...
I am also nervous about canopy but the guy who is making them must do it on big machine an he will charge me nothing test series so that is why I don?t push him. I was pretty boring last week so he will maybe do something this week...
Max SLA is 6x12V15Ah but I wouldn't recomend it because it is allmost 25kg. Here is guy who fell of such greyborg.
Not serius, 2 stiches but the bike push him down the flor...
675kw7.jpg

softtail: There is allmost same amount of work as on regular DH swingarm so why do it? IMHO. CHECK THE PRICE ON TITANIUM :lol: Maybe is typo it should say Platinum? or even Lutetium?

i was riding it yesterday .. the bike is real good and no lifepo4 action there, but i totally changed opinion on lead acid ..... even with that much lead acid klio ,it still goes nicelly. Dont like the big front wheel anyway...

markobetti said:
i was riding it yesterday .. the bike is real good and no lifepo4 action there, but i totally changed opinion on lead acid ..... even with that much lead acid klio ,it still goes nicelly. ..

Hals frames are very nice, i have to say though the area
just two of those batteries take up you could fit enough lipo
to replace all the slas, just think of the range and weight saving if you filled the entire area with lipo :-| Great that your happy with the bike though, there is room for improvement in the future when time/money etc permit. Nice looking ride none the less :)

KiM

What is the area of each compartment where there are 3 SLAs at the moment. I'd love a frame that could house 36 cellman 20ah cells in two groups of 18. Would they fit HAL? Otherwise how could I bribe you to make me a frame they would fit in?!

300x150x100mm or 300x150x120 with extra wide canopy.Two times and 230x150x100(120)mm where controller is.
I have at home some 20 and 15Ah and will try to arrange...
I 'll let you know.

Back