Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

AussieJester said:
i cant afford to be buying additional packs at this stage because of my stupidity.
Spent it all on booze and hookers ? :lol:

Oh you've already got Gary's parallel LVC board ? If so yeah that's all you need, I didn't realise you had that. And yeah you can use that to charge them too. Assuming you have 2 just hook all your packs up to them and leave it permanantly connected. You could charge each back of 6S individually for now if you're really worried about stuffing it up.

Seriously don't get too caught up on teh whole balancing thing.
If you're really worried grab a battery medic from hobbycity with your next order - it'll show the voltage of each cell and has a balancer in it too. It's not as fast as Gary's but it'll get you by if his will still be in development for a bit.

Hyena said:
AussieJester said:
i cant afford to be buying additional packs at this stage because of my stupidity.
Spent it all on booze and hookers ? :lol:

Oh you've already got Gary's parallel LVC board ? .

Nope i havent got the boards just saying i could use them... I didnt pay for these batteries to start with
they were a gift, still be saving for them if it was me paying...

Luke..there were a few there that would give you a run...The U-Beaut Ute was running low 10's all the street cars were road registered, nopt that they would get far if a cop saw them... and that Yellow blown coupe
was sloooooooow ran around 12 second 1/4 IIRC nothing impressive LOOKS wise it was one of the best there..was a toss up between the coupe and the 32 hi boy for me...

Off to watch some 4 second 1/4's next weekend Luke have a round of the Australian Top Fueler Championship heading our way Friday & Saturday night WOOTz

KiM

AussieJester said:
I didnt pay for these batteries to start with
they were a gift, still be saving for them if it was me paying...

Do you feel like taking on an apprentice ? People are throwing free shit at you left right and centre, I need to learn the tricks of the trade :lol:

haha.. i did get given something else of interest, a weight stand (as per used in Gyms to stack weights on)
will be PERFECT for the frame jig ill make to build your frame so less cost for you so you have already saved $$
before its even started LoL...

Cheers to those for the generosity it is very much appreciated...

KiM

AussieJester said:
Luke..there were a few there that would give you a run...The U-Beaut Ute was running low 10's all the street cars were road registered, nopt that they would get far if a cop saw them... and that Yellow blown coupe
was sloooooooow ran around 12 second 1/4 IIRC nothing impressive LOOKS wise it was one of the best there..was a toss up between the coupe and the 32 hi boy for me...

Off to watch some 4 second 1/4's next weekend Luke have a round of the Australian Top Fueler Championship heading our way Friday & Saturday night WOOTz

KiM

Doesn't suprize me that the yellow supercharged hemi car runs 12s. That's why I wanted to run him on the street :)

That Ute is damn impressive running low 10s, and he would beat my civic. Much respect to him if he runs that on the street. Looks like lots of fun cars and projects. I always love going to the track. :)

I'm jealous! Nothing else on earth is quite like being trackside at a topfuel event. They only come to Seattle once a year, and I've not missed it since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. lol The energy that rips through your chest and shakes your whole body is increadible. I think prostock sounds the best though, but it's like 1/10th the sound energy.

The Thanksgiving holiday slowed me down a bit, but Monday I will get your two LVC/parallel adapter boards, plus the 18-pin adapter board that combines the balance and charge leads into one plug, off to you via Express Mail, which should get them to OZ by the end of the week. The balancer can come a week, or so, later, once I finish the balancer/Meanwell control testing.

-- Gary

That would be excellent Gary, I shall go ahead with the Meanwell PSU purchase then as planned UNLESS you think there is a better option ? Please PM me the freight costs for the components Gary i would like to at least pay for this...Thanks mate.

KiM

Just stopped by to look in on your build.
You build a nice looking bike.
You are going to gear for a possible 75 mph top end ?
NICE.

AussieJester said:
That would be excellent Gary, I shall go ahead with the Meanwell PSU purchase then as planned UNLESS you think there is a better option ? Please PM me the freight costs for the components Gary i would like to at least pay for this...Thanks mate.

KiM

I think your local distributor (Computronics?) stocks the SP-320-48, which would give you about 7A of charge current. If you want more, you could get two of the SP-320-24s, and run them in series. These seem quite similar to the S-350-24s that I have. I got mine from Sure-electronics.com for about US$40 each, shipped.

-- Gary

Yup 7amp will be the go for me Gary ;) Cheers...

Spad4me...when i add the second motor I have the gearing worked for 120km/hr (~74mph)
whether the motors will do it is another question BUT i also have the option to add a THIRD motor if need be...
so what ever it takes :)

KiM

Update

Bit of an overdue update, the hot weather and my legs have been an issue this last week
but i have managed to get a few bits done on the bike...

Yesterday mate took me to Fibreglass & Resin sales to pick up some industrial
grade epoxy (TechniglueCA...made by atlcomposites.com), this is the same
epoxy Matt .P (1000watt) used to apply teeth to the rear pulley on his cruiser
(seen several pages back in THIS worklog) The teeth are still going strong on
his pulley after many many kilometres, its such a trick way of adding teeth to a pulley i think and EASY!!

Adding_epoxy_teeth_series_pic1.jpg

Apologises no pics of the epoxy being applied i wasn't about to handle my good camera with hands layered with epoxy !

Procedure was to apply two coats of PVA release agent (as per used in fiberglass/resin work)
to the belt, (belt & pulleys circumference have been matched so belt when wrapped
around has exact spaced teeth
) The belt then received a layer of epoxy as did the pulley
the belt is then wrapped around the pulley and secured in place for the night with PVC tape.
(takes overnight i chose the 'slow' cure TechniglueCA)

Belt was removed this morning, at first it thought to myself "self...how the frock are you going to remove it!"
I slide an xacto knife through the join prised up the belt with a small flat screwdriver
enough to get a grip with my fingers then simply pulled the belt away ...it came away very very easily! the
release agent doing its job perfectly! As can be seen the result is excellent...

I am still awaiting delivery of the belt and larger pulley ordered for output of reduction drive last week
hoooopefully we will see these this week sometime along with my Lipos! Will have a
complete POWERED drive train then WOOOTz!!!

You may or may not get an update this afternoon see how things go.

KiM

Thanks Matt... 1000kilometers and still in good nick is brilliant! I can see the belt will be the first to go
not tthe teeth, and even if they do get 'shabby' its would be as simply as spreading a layer of epoxy and wrapping
the belt up again to repair them! Damn difficult stuff that hahaha...NOT!

KiM

Thought i would give members following this build a lil update to proceedings...

I have been waiting for components, batteries, electrics, pulley and belts to arrive in hence lack of updates
combined with my health and the weather i haven't been doing much to the bike.
Seems the first onslaught of the Summer weather has a detrimental effect on my leg spasms
and takes a week or so to settle..anywayz...batteries ...the tracking info indicates they are in Perth and out of customs-->
lipo_tracking.JPG

I expect delivery tomorrow or day after.

I also got word this morning from Matt.P (he gratuitously ordered the belts and pulleys for me as i lack a credit card for paying)
and advised me that the parts are here!! Matt is dropping them up tomorrow along with something else i have
bought from Matt...His ChoppersUS Springer Fork!!!!! It is not currently in use on the bike in pic (to my knowledge
the aluminium chopper no longer exists Matt?
) Some may recall i had this fork
up in my workshop when Matt first got it? I liked it the moment i saw it it is a very well crafted
unit, i will have to cut it down which wont be an issue as i would like to paint the fork tubes the colour of the frame
and leave the aluminium, sprngs and springer tubes as are. I will also need to find a new head tube
for my frame NO idea where i will get one but i'll make something work, as this fork is threadless
unit! More on that when i take delivery of the fork tomorrow.

Shall be back with another progress report tomorrow arvo fellas...

KiM

what have i been doin ? i missed the epoxy toothed pulley and a post about lfp living in seattle . I gotta quit work, its taking up way to much endless sphere time

im loving the epoxy pully thing . ill have to relook at how i was gonna work my gear reduction setup.

enoob said:
i missed the epoxy toothed pulley

Funnily enough i just re-did it 30 minutes ago haha..turns out the bel parted when drying and one of the teeth was ~.25 of millimeter wider than the rest throwing the whole thing out of whack, i didn't notice this at first as i didnt run a belt completely around the pulley until the weekend. Removing the teeth was as easy a job as putting them on, nearly, woodwork chisel and a mallet, tap tap tap the peel off like sunburnt skin! Prior to adding new teeth i made a ghetton jig up to spin the pulley in whilst i had the angle grinder wheel
on the pulley, took the width of a bees knob off all the way around now the belt meets flush at the joinb without having to pull like a tractor to do so. its drying now shall take pics in the morning as i i also decided to remove the sides of the pulley! Shes all clean and shiney now too...

ALSO-->

My turnigy packs arrived!!!

Lipo_series_pic_1.jpg

Two of them damaged GREAT work HobbyCity. And yes it WAS HobbyCitys fault, the carton the box came
in was un marked, the individual packs were packed well with inflatable packaging, the individual box
of the damaged pack(s) were both dented, and ripped...NOT Happy at all.

Pics of the most damaged pack-->

Damaged_lipo_pic1.jpg

Damaged_lipo_pic%202.jpg

If i wasnt enclosing them in fiberglass containing and charging them in it i would probably chance this one, by feel
it is dented in between the pouches, the second pack is definitely useable but im sending it back anywayz for replacement.

KiM

Leg spasms must suck! I'm sorry to hear you gotta deal with that. :(

If you've got your first brushed motor trike around, you should ghetto together a cable to link up those packs and go for ride. You're going to love LiPo. Its like the engine equilivant of going from 87octane gasoline to Methonal. Nobody goes back. :)

Methy and I must be extremely lucky I guess, cause neither of us have ever had a damaged pack arive, and we've given them more than our share of opertunity. Lol. They have an excellent waranty policy, so it should turn out fine in the end, but lame that they keep having to waste packs and shipping expenses like this.

I'm very pumped to see the fantastic use you up those packs to on your outstanding build. :)

Bummer about the packs. I had one arrive that the 6th cell was 0 volts. I sent it back, they replaced free, but it took about 1 month and cost me $20 to ship back.

liveforphysics said:
Leg spasms must suck! I'm sorry to hear you gotta deal with that. :(

Cheers mate...unfortunately its a 24/7 thing that i have dealt with since my accident, the daily severity of the pain
is a coin toss, some days its minimal and i can get a lot done, others the legs is hypo sensitive and the slightest touch triggers
excruciating leg spasm, they last from 3-5 seconds feels like a hot 9inch nail being driven into your hamstring, then it stops
as quick as it started and everything is normal....3-4 minutes later repeat process, in between these though I get 'twinges"
that feel like the spasm is about to happen but doesn't, you can guess that leaves one somewhat on edge...and no nothing can be done to correct this the cause is a nerve i ripped from my spinal cord, it cant be re-attached, this is also the cause of me NOT being able to feel or move my legs from the knees down. Its just something i have to deal with im afraid and hope the next day is better than the last.

liveforphysics said:
If you've got your first brushed motor trike around, you should ghetto together a cable to link up those packs and go for ride. You're going to love LiPo. Its like the engine equilivant of going from 87octane gasoline to Methonal. Nobody goes back. :)

No can do mate, trikes 80% disassembled & what remains in tact has a smoked motor... :-(

liveforphysics said:
Methy and I must be extremely lucky I guess, cause neither of us have ever had a damaged pack arive, and we've given them more than our share of opportunity. Lol. They have an excellent warranty policy, so it should turn out fine in the end, but lame that they keep having to waste packs and shipping expenses like this.

Im sure the staff at HobbyCity have yours and Methys names above the packing bench so when orders are packed the manager is alerted so he can check each item individually, their kids schooling futures are on the line if you two stop buying from there! the mail is you and Methy are puting a couple of the HobbyCity employees kids through Stanford hehehe...I have put in a claim havent heard anything back yet, i offered to pay freight back but insisted they pick up the return bill for freight as this is THEIR error not mine nor the freight company's. See how that works out....prolly not good...either way more delays.

YPedal man... should of bought a spare just in case i guess would of been the smarter option HECK i could of used the extra if not needed as a replacement to power the Linear Actuators rather than tapping into the main pack..live and learn i guess, im not one for alot of fore thought unfortunately im more the jump in without much thought type... :: sigh :: I have inherited this bad purchasing trait from my father, more often than not anything he bought was either damaged & broken or just plain didnt work at all...He was the original 'Mr Warranty Claim' so i have sort of grown used to it now.

7.30am in OZ now, Matt.P will be up with the rest of the 'goodies' in a few hours so ill report back with pics of my NEW FORK and belts and pulleys setup, at least ...:: crosses fingers:: i will have a full drive train by days end!!!

Cheers fellas...

KiM

I am the proud new owner of a as new ChoppersUS Springer Fork!!!111oneone

::spins around in circles ::: WOooooHoooo-->

ChoppersUS_Springer_fork_series_pics.jpg

Matt also bought up the new pulleys and belt -->

New_Pulleys_belts.jpg

Big thanks to Matt for his assistance in obtaining these for me!
I need to drill the pulleys out, seeing Mr Recumpence SIR
uses imperial and Australia and my workshop is all metric
i dont have any 1/2in drill bits, closest i have is 12mm :-S
I have contacted a mate of mine he happens to have a set
of imperial drill bits he is popping over later today with
them so i should be able to have the drive train assembled tonight!!..

Thursday i shall pick up a meanwell PSU for charging the batteries so
i am ready to ROCK-n-ROLL when Mr GGoodrum's lvc boards arrive..!
I'll also grab a threadless headset from LBS mod the
head tube on the frame too suit :: fingers crossed::

Back soon folks..

KiM

AussieJester said:

I'll give ya a dollar for your old ones :p

I'll also grab a threadless headset from LBS mod the
head tube on the frame too suit :: fingers crossed::
I was actually looking at these just the other day in my LBS after we talked about the threaded - threadless issues. I'm keen to hear how sucessful you are!

Hyena said:
AussieJester said:

I'll give ya a dollar for your old ones :p

HAHA i bet you would :p They will actually be put back on the trike
as i have told a legally blind friend of mine last Thursday the trikes his
he will use it too get to his local shops, obviously he can't drive
a car, but has enough siight in day time to ride the trike on the bike path. So will help
make his life a little bit easier, so many have done so much for me on this build
i wanted to do the same for someone else and i saw this as an opportunity to do just that.
He has very similar eye 'condition' to FrankG actually. Be something
ill be putting together when i am done with your frame Hyena...If you
need a custom fork for the frame though ill sort it out for you no strees ;)

I have a way to get around the threadless head tube though
not something i would do on others frames but will work for me on this one
i have the option to build another frame if i dont like it others dont LoL..
Shall see more on that tomorrow anywayz...

I have the Springer on the bike now, haven't uploaded pics though shall post
em tomorrow along with the large pulley with lightening holes added took
me a near an hour to drill this sucker dame thick ali pulley it is...didnt want
too disappoint you Hyene HAD to have the holes hehehe...

Back tomorrow guys...

KiM

HAL9000v2.0 said:
I think your fork is better. It have quicker rebound.

The springs on my fork Hal are actually the original springs from the ChoppersUS
fork Matt gave me 2 of the 4 of the originals as he changed them to get a lil softer suspension on the aluminium framed chopper the fork was originally bought for. I shall be replacing the smaller suspension springs on the fork with the original the rebound spring will remain as is ;) Either way though springer forks aren't the pinnacle of suspension are they lets face it they are 95% for the look not for the performance hahaa...The set i made though did a fantastic job as im positive these ChopperUS items will to :)

KiM

Back