Creating an E bike Market Explosion....

USA "Bike to Work Week" is the third week in May. "Bike to work Day" is that Friday.

Now might be a good time to plan to provide ebike demos at your shop, workplace or community-center.

By far, the best promotion for ebikes is getting people on them for a test-ride.

Commuters hate traffic; showing them a better way to get to work via bike should be persuasive. Give away bike maps.

e-bike market explosion? ...not likely with 2 ton + bike/rider squashers everywhere. Even when dedicated bike lanes are created, those inattentive cagers can still encroach into the bikey lane to squash you like a bug. The only way to keep from getting killed is not let the cagers pass you as often. But, then you are threading into the realm of motorcycles...which in my opinion are much safer for an experienced rider...but then there are still the same risks at high speed...400 to 800 + lb motorcyles vs 2000 + lbs cars & trucks still equals
Roadkill20Paint.jpg
:D

Dennis,

I live in a big city with many stupid drivers and I have never been squashed like a bug on my ebike.

Mototcycles are far deadlier that ebikes are. Have you ever heard of someone being killed going 110 mph on a highway and wiping out on an ebike? No

Lester,

I am speaking from my personal experience and it's up to each individual reader to ponder whether it's B.S. or not and the squashed bug analogy is spot on imao. Let me site a few statisics http://www.nyc.gov/html/look/downloads/pdf/bicycle_fatality_report.pdf . If you're not one of the statistical 2.7% per million per year in the US, will you increase your chances of winning the Jackpot Darwin award if you play the lottery of life/death more often.

Yes, I completely agree with you, in the hands of an unexperiences squid, a motorcycle is death on 2 wheels. But for an experience rider, who drives defensively and use the power of the bike to stay away from pack traffic, motorcyling can be a safer mode of transportation when compared to a bicycle or an electric bicycle. Each car that passes you as you ride on the side of the road is capable of squashing a bicycle or a motorcycle. But the motorcycle has the power to limit the amount of times you are passed by another vehicle thereby decreasing your chances of an unwanted encounter and I've had a many close encounter of the holy shit kind in the 8 years of communting by motorcycle. :D

I think that the squashed bug is a very necessary argument to be made, but I don't need a degree to know that moving to lighter and more efficient vehicles is something that is eventually need to happen. It may be just become I'm a city boy now I really see the advantages of such a move financially and aesthetically from an urban planning position. The dense urban areas of a variety of EV solutions need to be called for. Everywhere from E-bikes and most importantly better E-bike legislation to LEV commuting and livery vehicles. The problem with most of the emerging green tech is that there is usually a large up front investment, but when you get past the sticker shock the investment looks damn good on paper. Take into account that EV tech is really developing at a startling rate even if the rest of the world doesn't know it.

And there it is, they don't know it. The power to transform our transportation system is here, and we need to get out there and have some show and tell. Press, critical mass style rides/rallies and basically everyone we can get out there showing how it can be done, and how easy it is. We need to get every single bicycle advocacy group that we can aboard. I've been working with people here in Boston and I can tell you that if we can get our numbers together all the channels to get heard, and into the public eye are out there. There are companies here and around the US and I'm sure around the world that use EVs as a part of their business model from segway tours to delivery vehicles. I was amazed that Boston has no electric vehicle association, if there had be maybe there wouldn't be bogus regulations that wont let us use electric assists on our bicycle rickshaws. I do think that safety is a real issue, if and when we start to get relaxed ebike laws big companies will actually be able to commit to building safer and more powerfull ebikes. But I personally don't think ebikes are the whole answer, it needs to be a three pronged attack from every EV community out there like cars, ebikes and electric motorcycles.

For ebikes to become popular battery technology needs to advance to a point where a 5 lb battey can get you 30 miles. Were not there yet thanks to the oil companies eating up all the advanced battery patents.

Or war with Iran happens and gas is $7/gallon... It could happen.

Our little community here are some of the first to use this new technology on a simple platform...a bicycle...but it can be scaled up into something much more...just use your imagination :twisted:
Unless the infrasturcture is changed so bicycle lanes are protected from motor vehicle lanes, not many will accept the risks. Most importantly, only a small percentage of the population have the coordination required to operate a 2 wheeled vehicle daily and survive imao :D

That would be my case- not willing to take my life into other peoples hands. Unfortunately here in the states it is going to take a big cultural change in many places before bikes become a safe alternative. Kind of the "If you build it they will come " scenario. IF the infrastructure were better people would use bikes more. Even the sidewalks around here are usually narrow, haven't been repaired in years or just end in various places. Bike paths are almost non-existent except for one along the river and a few through parks and along one freeway. More for weekend strolls than commuting unless you just happen to be near and work near one.

I still want to see affordable 2 seat electrics with 80 + mi. range. Basically a rollcage on wheels with a carbonfiber body. Hopefully when/if prices for "good" batteries comes down and we get a few manuf. competing for our business things will take off :idea: :idea:

A current article from Bike-Europe says that legislation will help further the explosion...

"Future EU Emission Rules to Become Driving Force for e-Bikes"
"BRUSSELS, Belgium - The EU expects environmental restrictions on cars and Powered Two-Wheelers (PTW) to be set in such a way that one norm for all vehicles will be applied by the end of this decade. A measure that will greatly incite the development and sale of e-Bikes, e-Scooters and e-Motorcycles."

More here:
http://www.bike-eu.com/news/3904/fu...r e-Bikes&WT.mc_id=mail_bike_23 februari 2010

Of course, Gov subsidies etc will flow to the losing ICE mfgrs first rather than the EV pioneers that are already profiting...
tks
lL0Kc

In my opinion, it's all about fun. Electric cars weren't taken too seriously until the Tesla and T-Zero videos started coming out. People don't get excited about tall, boxy, strange looking, slow cars. If I remember right, hybrids were out but not selling too well until the sporty cars came out. When an abusable, affordable, upgradable bike comes out, the right people will notice, then the public will notice. I've been talking to random folks about electric bikes and the only person that had any idea they existed was the local bike shop owner. He rode one of the Giant electric bikes and loved it. He's convinced that people just need to ride an assisted bike to truly understand. The laws, specific bike lanes, and charging stations will only happen if there's a demand. That means pioneers that aren't afraid of traffic just getting out there and riding. I'm starting to feel also, that the people that are starting to get into law making are from a different generation than the previous people. They seem to be more open minded. They will see the environmental benefit and potential revenues and jump all over it. I'd better get off the internet and go build something fun.

mdd0127 said:
In my opinion, it's all about fun...<SNIP>I'm starting to feel also, that the people that are starting to get into law making are from a different generation than the previous people. They seem to be more open minded. They will see the environmental benefit and potential revenues and jump all over it. I'd better get off the internet and go build something fun.
Right on (ermmm do folks still say that? hehe)... but it's not about law MAKING. It's about all the bad law/perspective out there already that needs CHANGING...
And it's harder to change bad laws than it is to make good law in the first place. In a puritanical world, it's the "fun" stuff that gets banned first
:wink:
Lock

lester12483 said:
Dennis,

I live in a big city with many stupid drivers and I have never been squashed like a bug on my ebike.

Mototcycles are far deadlier that ebikes are. Have you ever heard of someone being killed going 110 mph on a highway and wiping out on an ebike? No

No, but those fatalities are really not what makes motorcycles dangerous. What makes motorcycles dangerous is the same thing that makes bikes dangerous- Cage drivers not seeing us. Its about about the left turner in front of you that you tbone, or he hits you to get across the road. Its about the lane merger who pushes you onto the should 'cause he can't be bothered to look for you. On bikes, it about the people who swoop in front of you to only to hit the brakes and make a right turn. Sure higher speed means higher chance of injury and death, but its the visibility aspect that's the real problem on public roads.

I think we would be in trouble if more people were riding E-bikes eventualy as more and more ride them the MAN will start to implment laws and make it more costly for us. If every one was riding e-bikes as their main formof transportation then the Government would have to tax them some how to pay for roads and other such things the bikes ride on. As the oil companys make less money the econamy will get weaker and alot of us will have less work or now work at all. It is a very tricky topic but I am for an electric revalution don't get me wrong but you must think ahead to when all vehicals are electric what will happen. Price of electricity and the availibility of it. Price of living and the poverty levels. Price of copper ect. The electric revelution is somehting very serious and something that should take time for the world to get a chance to accept!

My e-bike don't need no stinking roads. Single track will be fine thanks. If the government would collectively remove their heads from their rectums, they could tax disposability and excess resource consumption, get rid of all other taxes and still make out like bandits. As far as the "MAN" goes, I'm the man, you're the man, and he's the man as well. As it stands, the world is dependent upon oil so the oil companies are in control...of almost everything. When the demand for oil decreases, so will their influence over our government. You want e-bikes to explode, build/buy one, show it to your neighbors, let them ride it, and educate them on it's benefits. Intelligent laws and infrastructure will, hopefully, follow.

From my experience ebike laws are unenforceable. Is every cop going to be scanning trying to tell the difference from a ebike and a regular bike?no.
If speed of an ebike is a concern then lance armstrong should be banned from roads too.

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the good ideas.

I am interested in getting E bikes into the main stream, on TV, on the air, on the roads, and creating a positive spin in the world.

Here is a little local College paper article:
http://www.collegian.com/index.php/article/2010/11/113010_its_electric_charging_the_cycling_world

Any ideas on how to get these cool machines into the main Stream? How do we get the masses to get into it, Ehy?

Thanks, Josh K.

Josh K. said:
Hey Folks,

Thanks for the good ideas.

I am interested in getting E bikes into the main stream, on TV, on the air, on the roads, and creating a positive spin in the world.

Here is a little local College paper article:
http://www.collegian.com/index.php/article/2010/11/113010_its_electric_charging_the_cycling_world

Any ideas on how to get these cool machines into the main Stream? How do we get the masses to get into it, Ehy?

Thanks, Josh K.
I have some very stuborn people here and they are worried about 2 things the slow speeds THE LAW says we have to be limited to, and not having insurance! I personly want a way of getting around that is FREE no insurance this and licence that BLA! So yeh convince those people and we have it made!

realistically i've seen local bike shops close that have been open for over 50 years. and yes they kept up with the times. And i walked into another random shop and the guy was going to close up when he retires in a year or so. i spoke with him about ebikes and he said they are still a niche market because he believes they need to be under $500 total for average people to want them.. And i agree with him on that. Though i love everything about an ebike anyone i speak to about them doesn't know a thing. Or where they live in america it's a long distance to get to the next destination and just not a 5-10 min trip like in a city. I really believe there has never been a more dangerous time to be riding a bike then this time with cell phones and distracted driving.

If a friend of yours said he is going to rent a business front and sell ebikes today... how would you honestly feel?

That being said. I love everything about them and will tell and educate everyone i can on them.

destro23 said:
realistically i've seen local bike shops close that have been open for over 50 years. and yes they kept up with the times. And i walked into another random shop and the guy was going to close up when he retires in a year or so. i spoke with him about ebikes and he said they are still a niche market because he believes they need to be under $500 total for average people to want them.. And i agree with him on that.

Hehe... and some might NOT agree? For example, local to me, have local bike shops selling ebikes "on credit". Where loan payments are about HALF of a monthly pass for taking pubic transit. Plus, these ebikes operate 24/7... go directly from A to B to C, etc. Always a free seat... [hehe]... Pedaling for warmth and exercise as builtin options... Lots of advantages versus other options for urban transportation.

So I tend to point out the ongoing savings (less poops per mile, etc, etc, etc) versus up front costs to buy. (<- period)

:)
L

Please don't bump abandoned 8 year old threads.

^^ Watt??? Thought thread here was "Creating an E bike Market Explosion...."? ... and comment here was about electrics were "too expensive" to buy new? And was trying to point out that cost to buy versus costs to operate are two different things. And used the current flood of electric standup scooters as an example where "cheap" design and construction and "low" selling prices can be "false economies". (<-period]

dennis said:
Yes, I completely agree with you, in the hands of an unexperiences squid, a motorcycle is death on 2 wheels. But for an experience rider, who drives defensively and use the power of the bike to stay away from pack traffic, motorcyling can be a safer mode of transportation when compared to a bicycle or an electric bicycle.
Sure. But using that logic, if you bike defensively, it can be a much safer mode of transportation than a motorcycle.

Some stats:

Your odds of dying while driving a motorcycle in a given year - .05% (registered motorcycles vs fatalities per year)
Your odds of dying while driving a car in a given year - .01% (registered cars vs fatalities per year)
Your odds of dying while biking in a given year - .005% (people who bike 2 or more days a week vs fatalities per year)

You are 15 times more likely, per mile, to be killed on a motorcycle.

Now, a good motorcyclist can beat those odds and improve their chances of survival - but so can a biker.

Each car that passes you as you ride on the side of the road is capable of squashing a bicycle or a motorcycle. But the motorcycle has the power to limit the amount of times you are passed by another vehicle . . . .
In my experience, the motorcycle passing other cars is the biggest risk factor. I've seen two serious and two minor motorcycle accidents due to that.
thereby decreasing your chances of an unwanted encounter and I've had a many close encounter of the holy shit kind in the 8 years of communting by motorcycle.
And a bike can get off the road very quickly and easily, which a motorcycle can't. A bike can also use separated bike lanes which a motorcycle cannot, thereby greatly decreasing the risk of being hit.

Back