Is a fully charged ping battery 59.1V?

el_walto

10 kW
I have a 16Ah V2 Ping Battery

When left on the charger overnight, my cycle analyst will show the voltage as 59.1V. Do i need to adjust my charger so that it charges all the way up to 60V?

To measure the charger with a DMM, does the charger have to be connected to the battery?

My charger LED goes from Red to green once, and not back and forth multiple times as stated in the manual.

I've had no problems with the battery, last i checked(many months ago) the battery ran out at 16.2Ah.

It's not going to charge any higher than your charger goes, so perhaps your charger only puts out 59 nowdays. My old soneil sla charger has gradually dropped it's voltage a couple volts since it was new. It was adjusted up from 44v to 46.5 but now puts out 45v. If the charger is adjustable, sure, turn it up to 60v.

It's not so cruicial what the voltage at the end is, so long as it's not one cell that is extra low. As long as all the cells are 3.5v or above I'd not worry too much. The cycling on and off will only happen when the battery is out of balance, if it charges balanced it won't need to cycle on and off.

I still advise leaving chargers plugged in for long periods, like if you need 8 hours to charge, just plug in overnight and let it have 12 hours or whatever. I'll unplug in the morning and either ride, or not. After a 100% discharge I'll leave it plugged in longer.

That's a guess I make here.
Maybe your (a bit) low charger voltage, it does not go high enough to start the balancing logic of the BMS.

You should be ok keeping this setup.
If you want to ensure proper balancing, I agree that you should look inside your charger for a trim pot to up voltage a bit.

As long as its over 58 volts your fine, Ping says below that it wont balance correctly.

The LiFePO4 chemistry wants to be charged to 3.60V-3.65V per cell to get to a 100% charged condition so under ideal situations a fully charged 16S LiFePO4 pack will be 57.6V-58.4V right after a charge. The problem however with "bleeding" type BMS circuits is they can't bring a cell UP they can only bring them DOWN therefore to try to ensure that even the lazy cells get a full charge the overall pack charging voltage is increased above the ideal with Ping using one of the highest charge voltages. When using high charge voltages the BMS shunt circuits are relied upon to keep individual cells from going too high while the laggards catch up. It's kind of a brute force method to charging but since Ping has amassed a great deal of experience it must work well under most circumstances especially with LiFePO4 which is tolerant of higher than the ideal 3.60-3.65V.

Something that must be remembered for LiFePO4 is that any voltage above approximately 3.35V (53.6V for 16S) is "surface charge". Without a load this surface charge will remain for some time, for example my cells are still 3.56V about 16 hours after being charged to 3.60V/cell. The surface charge however represents very little actual capacity and will be dissipated in the first minutes of operation under load.

-R

Well said. The main issue is not so much is it 58v or 60v. As long as all the cells are close to the same voltage, your 58v charge is ok. If one cell is a lot lower than the others, you need a charger that will get the bms balancing more by putting out 60v.

Is your charger the one from ping? or some other.

My charger test at 61.4v with my radio shack meter. The test at 61.4v for 20 sec. it drops to about 59v or so. Is 61.4v border line high ? where is my pot I'm not going to open my charger, but would like to know. Yes it's the 2amp. basic Ping. Ping said the 5amp. would O.K. for the 48v 20ah. What do you think ?

Nothing wrong with that voltage. It should kick in the balancing function of the bms just right.

Back