Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

10-15min is way faster than you can do that on a CNC for one off stuff.

I can't stand the smell of grinding steel though. I have to be in that environment 8 hrs/day 5 days/wk. Smells like the daily grind (sorry bout that horrible pun).

johnrobholmes said:
Whaddaya do, put the steel in a vice and angle grind it to submission?

I match the pieces when making two either in the vice or bolted it together if there is holes in the piece being made, i bolted these two, rough shape is done with 5in angle grinder (trained beavers) & air die grinder if there are curves, then I finish it up on the linisher...Definitely quicker than CNC for one off stuff, FYI... those brackets are 4mm steel plate ..

Cheers guyz

KiM

AussieJester said:
Hyena, i stuck it in 3rd today found a BIG mofo hill and hit 76km/hr..these toy
motors plus gravity work wonders hehe :)

Talk to me when you can do that speed UP hill, THEN I'll be impressed :p

Nice work once again, bless them trained bevers and diamond beaked wood peckers that drill all your holes :p

Do you reckon the plate that bolts to the bike and supports the curved rods will be strong enough ? It looks like there'd be a fair bit of leverage on that point with the weight of the rods + the bouncing of the wheelchair at speed...

edit: never mind, I'm blind and stupid. I just realised the rod bent over the top and the bits you've made in the last few shots will be welded to the top curved bit then bolted to the axle

AJ,

I think maybe you and I truly appreciate the work angle grinders can do, which also includes the appreciation that they're those most dangerous tool in our arsenal. eg Saturday am, I go up to my machine shop buddies' shop, and the younger one got "bit" the day before by the wire brush attachment of their big ass industrial size angle grinder. Man did he get lucky with those few scrapes. Angle grinder = most dangerous tool....wire brush attachment + angle grinder = you better keep that frocker low enough to keep significant force and mass on both handles or it will definitely getcha. Even with proper use, it can still get ya, especially using it on odd surfaces with odd ridges or edges.

Personally I've gotten to where I try to only use the little 4.5" angle grinders unless I've got something without edges for the wheel to catch, and I need to grind off some serious metal. For brush work, I try to stick with the one for drills instead. They're only turning at 2-3krpm instead of 10k, and at smaller radius, so the flying bits of wire that are unavoidable don't penetrate nearly as deep. The work may be a bit slower, but you can get into smaller corners, and if it latches onto your shirt somehow, it's still going to hurt but isn't going to eat a hole several inches into your flesh.

I need to practice more with those lap disks, because I really haven't had finishing experience...more just grinding, cutting, and knocking rust off of reasonable thick metal, instead of car body thickness stuff.

John

Hyena said:
Do you reckon the plate that bolts to the bike and supports the curved rods will be strong enough ? It looks like there'd be a fair bit of leverage on that point with the weight of the rods + the bouncing of the wheelchair at speed...

edit: never mind, I'm blind and stupid. I just realised the rod bent over the top and the bits you've made in the last few shots will be welded to the top curved bit then bolted to the axle

Got to get up early in the morning to get one past you don't we mate..hey...heeey...hehehe... :mrgreen: Shes very solid mate...scroll down for the pics struts are now attached :)

John...yes the angle grinder and welder combined with a rule and bevel square makes up for 95% of the
equipment i use to fabricate bikes. The angle grinder with cuttoff disks, grinding disks and flap disk
is a might useful tool...I only use a Metabo 5in myself, the large grinders are too big for me now
i can't hold them up to use them sitting in the chair, the Metabo though does everything i ask of it
then some, mighty grinder and worth every sent of their 300 plus dollar price...

Update

Don't you hate it when you put something down and then you can't find the frocking thing
no matter where you look!! I have this problem with the carabena for the tow hitch, i had it in my
hand yesterday after un-taping it from the tow hitch frame, put it down and for the life of me
i can't bloody find it anywhere!!! I looked for a solid hour, not only in my small workshop
but my garage, my bedroom HELL i even looked in the fridge (got a beer whilst there for my trouble...as u do :p)

So..NO carabena means not quite finished, what i think i'll have to do is do a mammoth clean up in he workshop
tomorrow and see if i can find it, not as if its a tiny object, fair size carabena with a metal plate welded to it :-S

The tow hitch as mentioned isn't something i was keen to do as i new it would
distract from the overall look of the bike, unfortunately it has to be done so i can tow my wheelchair

Tow_hitch_series_pics_2.jpg

I think it came up quite nicely, once painted GangSTA 8) black & lil bobbed mudguard fitted
it shouldn't be too noticeable... It is VERY solid too, there is very very minimal flex the chair
hanging of it isn't going to move it in the slightest. Soon as i find the carabena i will attach it around 6in from the base
of the tow hitch assemble and lop the rest off...The Tow hitch will look like this-->

Tow_hitch_series_pics_photochop.jpg

When the rear is trimmed...

Thats it for now chaps

KiM

Malcolm said:
Kim: Just a bit off topic, I know, but on the subject of phantom pain I found this video fascinating: http://www.ted.com/talks/vilayanur_ramachandran_on_your_mind.html

it is highly individual. i know that the shadow box does not work for me. my pains are usually triggered by changes in the weather. usually before a large storm. purely psychological i suspect. but they feel very real when they happen. in my case i just woke from a sound sleep with really serious pain in a foot that was long ago creamated as 'medical waste'. pain medication has no effect either. though narcotics do not actually affect the pain, the soporific side effects do allow me to sleep. i haven't had them in a while. need to renew the perscription. but what do i do until the pharmacies open in the morning? it is 3am here.

Kim - ain't it a bitch when someone trying to be kind says something stupid like "I can feel your pain"? i know for a fact that there is no way that i can feel what you are feeling. somewhat relate to it maybe. but feel it?

rick

ps. hope i'm wrong. i hope it doesn't mean that our (so far) very mild winter is taking a turn for the worst. that would really ruin my day.

rkosiorek said:
need to renew the perscription. but what do i do until the pharmacies open in the morning? it is 3am here.

Kim - ain't it a bitch when someone trying to be kind says something stupid like "I can feel your pain"? i know for a fact that there is no way that i can feel what you are feeling. somewhat relate to it maybe. but feel it?

Have you tried cannibis? I find it works better than the prescription meds i take, i use 600mg of 24hr slow release Tramil a day
and baclofin, doesn't completely stop the spasms but it takes the edge off, not as 'sharp' a pain... The most annoying is the 'mini' spasms in between the big ones, the 'threatening to spasm' i call it, like 'pricks' keeps you tense and on edge .... Its very dificult to describe the pain to people, i had never had anything that resemble it prior to my accident, i liken it to a hot nife being stabbed into your hamstring and twisted, last 4-5 secod then complete stops as fast as it startes, happens every 3-4 minutes on a bad day..10-20 on good days
i haven't had a completely pain free day in nearly 20 years though... something I have to live with im afraid..

Hope the "foot" settles for you soon mate... i can at least sympathise with you mate, i have a fair idea
the state you would be in right now...it ain't pleasant i know...

Shameless re-post of todays update pics from end of previous page

Tow_hitch_series_pics_2.jpg

Tow_hitch_series_pics_photochop.jpg

:mrgreen:

KiM

Hi Aussie Jester

Very nice build and awesome craftsmanship :D

I am still amazed how much power the little r/c motor can output.

Oh I see speed sign on the video , and I thought I was the only one that ignores it :wink:

congratulation.

zenon

zenon said:
Oh I see speed sign on the video , and I thought I was the only one that ignores it :wink:

Actually its called a 'school zone' its only 20km few hours in the morning and few hours in the afternoon, basically hour before and after school. Mazenod College is on the right hand side of the road rest of the day its a 50km/hr Zone...still over the limit but not by as
much LoL

And yes, these lil 'toy' motors :mrgreen: sure do put out some serious power don't they!

Cheerz matey

KiM

Your school zones are only 20km/hr there ?? Ours are 40 over this way.

Why didn't you weld your tow hitch support bars directly to the frame ? Are you planning on removing it when you're not towing the chair ?
C'mon, set that 1/4 mile time in style - towing the wheelchair behind ya! :lol:

Hyena said:
Why didn't you weld your tow hitch support bars directly to the frame ? Are you planning on removing it when you're not towing the chair ?

No... but im planing to take the rear wheel off... :shock:

KiM

Hyena said:
Your school zones are only 20km/hr there ?? Ours are 40 over this way. :

Ours are 40kmh too, Kim is just going too fast to read the signs or had too much weed.
Cheers,
Matt.

1000w said:
Hyena said:
Your school zones are only 20km/hr there ?? Ours are 40 over this way. :

Ours are 40kmh too, Kim is just going too fast to read the signs or had too much weed.
Cheers,
Matt.

Yes your right my mistake..tiz a 20km/hr zone out the front of Mazenod College though, i guess
us private school kids are more valued than the public schools that have the 40km/hr Zone :mrgreen:

20km Speed Limit.JPG

So i was 35km/hr over the speed limit hehehe...lucky there was no cops around :D

Cheers Matt...and Matt hehe... If i could get something close to the finish of an OCC bike i would
be very happy too Matt.S

I looked again for 30 minutes for the carabina i can't find the thing, i'll clean up like
mentioned above, if it doesn't turn up I'll order another off Flebay, there 20 bucks
but they are oober strong 11mm steel...got me knackered where its gone, i have
now gone through the bins 3 times thinking its dropped into it off the bench and i emptied it into
the large bins we put out on the curb for collection but nadda... :: sigh:: Hope
i can find the thing, i want to take it up to Kalamunda soon as the wheelchair can be bought along
for its "Christening" at the local pub hehehe

Matt.P we have curb side collection first rubbish is allowed out THIS FRIDAY some people already have started
its in my immediate area first up, so if you can get a couple of hours over the next 2 weeks come on up and we can
score some more stuff from the richo's up here hehee...Can do the ride around on the bikes again, no trike to pile up this time
but i do have the trailer i can tow...when i find the freakin carabina LoL

KiM

Kim,

i was right. the weather has gone to hell. so far my phantom pain weather predictor is running about 85% (5 out of 6) accuracy. everything is now covered with snow. the temp has dropped a few degrees as well.

oh well, less temptation to go out. the wheelchair is a real pain until the sidewalks and roads get salted and cleared. more incentive to make some parts for my granny trike.

rick

FOUND IT FOUND IT FOUND IT!!!!!

The mystery of the lost carabina is solved!!!! I looked along the back left of the tool board on my workbench and didnt see it, i
notciued just then, my rubber mallet was leaning to one side (its on the right) put my hand over the metal edging low and beholed
there the lil frocker was...HOW it got there only the good lord knows, i don't recall throwing it their in anger!!! Anywayz...couple of
neat runs with the mig in the am, top the batteries off and im off for the maiden run to Kalamunda...OH...i best change the shaft out too stop the lil vibration issue with the final drive pulley on the reduction drive...

rkosiorek I know how bad a wheelchair is in sand, it would be hell in snow i imagine...for-get-it to old to cold hehe

KiM

Kim-

I've been following this thread with great interest and I just wanted to tell you again how amazing it is that you've come up with a mobility solution that is so damn good-looking and freaking fast! The helmet also rules, hearkening back to medieval glory!!

The reduction system and stability arms (roller blade wheels?) are just art, and I really dig the battery box. Very clean and sleek.

When is she getting a powder-coating???

Thankyou for the positive comments dequinox :) The lil stabiliser wheels are actually scooter wheels, i do plan on getting new ones too, spotted some neat alumnium rimmed jobs on fleabay ill pick up soon..

The powdercoating i, i want to wait until i have the bike hooked up with the Infineon and hall sensors are mounted to the motor, just to make sure its all good to go and needs no further additions to the frame... Gives me more time to enjoy riding the bike in this hot weather too, be much more enthusiastic about stripping it down when it getz cooler than when its 35-40C in my workshop :)

Cheers mate

KiM

Update

OK...fabrication side of the tow hitch is now complete and ready for testing...

Tow_hitch_series_pics_3.jpg

The inner side of the joins still require welding, as is though it is more than strong enough, i will however
zip some weld on the inner joins when i have the bike stripped down. I have given the welds a quick
blat of etch primer to prevent rust build up...I iz now ready to go find me some Lycras on the hill :mrgreen:

KiM

So how long before one of your mates gets on the piss and wants towed for a ride home in your 45 degree recumbent ? :lol:
I reckon you should directly mod your wheelchair next, with an outrunner powering the wheels and a thin layer of turnigies under your seat :twisted:

How will you actually get into your chair when you're out and about ? Will someone have to help you ? Or have you got enough strength in your legs to shuffle down if you're hanging onto the bike to stay upright ?

i see some felt sketching on that battery tank. 8) flames.
i kinda like that theme as an enclosure for lipo. just need a "Danger lipo's charging" sticker or even better lil airbrush work.

do them flames so it looks like there coming out of the scoop in front and engulfing the whole back of the tank . lol here comes all the armchair advice.

Hyena id be willing to bet he can reach around (hee hee) and uhook/grab the chair while seated on the bike.

i dont know bout OZ but up here i bet you could get government subsidies as that would qualify as a mobility aid.

Nice work again my friend

enoob said:
Hyena id be willing to bet he can reach around (hee hee) and uhook/grab the chair while seated on the bike.

And that would be a very safe bet to make my friend, tiz exactly how it is done :)

I will have to let all the mates know that sitting in the chair isn't allowed, not because it would damage anything on the bike but likely bend the back of the wheelchair...of course if i find a real drunk lightweight wiminez at the pub that
needz 'assistance' to get to back to the workbench (bed) I might re access the situation at that time LoL

nicobie said:
I'll bet you make them crap their stretchy little pants when they hear that motor coming up behind them wailing at 12K rpm.

hehehe...its a good excuse to buy a second camera or dedicated video camera at least, so i can point one forward and one back to get the expressions on their face as i 'pedal' by on a nice steep hill hehehe

Cheers fellas

KiM

Back