Turnigy HXT Powered Custom Cruiser Worklog

AussieJester said:
of course if i find a real drunk lightweight wiminez at the pub that
needz 'assistance' to get to back to the workbench (bed) I might re access the situation at that time LoL

Now THAT would be a sight to see :mrgreen:
Plenty of room on that stretched frame though, I reckon you could just double her on your lap :wink:

Hyena said:
Now THAT would be a sight to see :mrgreen:

Shall i have a pre-made sign to hang off the wheelchair.. "Drunk Wiminez in TOW" hehee

KiM

Mate once she's all painted up I reckon you'll have women throwing themselves at you. I think you should keep your eye out on the junk pile for a nice comfy looking red velvet 2 seater lounge you can bolts some wheels to and tow behind the trike. A courtesy vehicle for trips to the work bench :D
Better still, hook up some "reins" to the handle bars so you can steer from the said lounge like its a horse drawn cart :lol:

Went to the motorcycle wreckers yesterday and picked up this fender off a Honda CB250
fits quite well -->

Tow_hitch_series_pics_4.jpg

Covers up the tow hitch at least...i'll get it re-chromed it has a lil rust on it..

KiM

haha..dunno about the 'best' but certainly one of the more costly
trailers :mrgreen:

Shot some more video last night of me doing a couple of laps, the ending you will see the actuators at work also..

[youtube]cWpII8IzRFo[/youtube]

Turn sound up and yoou getz too hear the prurty outrunner tuunezz.. :mrgreen:

KiM

Beautiful! I love it KiM!

Well done mate. :mrgreen:

I don't know how you will manage being without it while the paintjob is being done!!!!

Thanks everyone for the comments, Hyena, yes at the end the belt did come off, this
is due to the shit Sturmey Archer hubs method of holding on their sprocket. There is an
unsuitable amount of sideways play in the sprocket (which my pulley is bolted too)
thus when continued load is put on the hub, the pulley leans to one side this throws the belt alignment of
isn't an issue when riding the bike normally, and wont be an issue in future when the eno is on the
freewheel hub either as they have a much more limited amount of play compared to the
sturmey archer...While we are on the Sturmey Archer its frocked haha its clunking
LOUDLY now something has broken or bent inside it, i just hope the ENO arrives
this week expected it last week so shouldnt be too far away now....

Matt.P was up this morning with his L337 crusier and trailer...First up we went for a ride to Kalamunda
to drop the wheel i laced up with the extra wide freewheel, has a sliiiight flat spot in it i wasn't
happy with plus a few rounded nipples, so I thought this was excuse enough to make the ride
up wheelchair in tow, 20x4.25in wheel ocky strapped to wheelchair hehe..was AWESOME to ride along with
another e-biker, took it steady this was by far the furthest i have ridden the bike in one outting
legs got stiff before the end but return trip was much better, stuck to the footpath 90% of
the way, very busy roads and with the wheelchair in tow we decided this was the safest option. Matt
helped me out greatly checking cross roads for traffic, until i get the Infineon and ENO
this bike is a handful at stop to walking speed for me so the longer i can keep rolling the better
was an incident free trip anywayz very enjoyable. We grabbed a drink at the local bakery where
the bikes attracted attention from all passers by! Great conversation starters too
We met a couple of fellas, one had this HUGE electric scooter i forget the name now Matt will
know he had heard of them before. Was very impressive, i couldn't get over the size of it
though was freakin HUUUGE...

I did of course take a couple of pics of our rides together when we returned-->

matt_&_KiMs_e-bikes.jpg

Will make a nicer picture still when i get my ratty lookin thing painted up haha imagine
it blue like Matts as thats the colour its going to be, powder coated by the same
company even :mrgreen:

WE jumped n the car and did the rounds scouting out the curb-side rubbish
that started getting shoved out this past weekend, checkout some of our finds-->

Curbside%20finds.jpg

All the bikes are Matts, the red frame is to be rebuilt, some parts from the
blue bike will be used for this...The exercise equipment and trampoline
were put out by my direct next door neighbours hahaa..I scored the
nice aluminium 5 spoked crankset from the blue bike for my RC cruuusier though-->

RC_Cruiser_side_shot1.jpg

Was an excellent outing and look forward to the next ride
we have...I shall be scouting the curb-side all this week, my trailer
at the ready in case i see anything that cant wait till one of the lads finishes work hehehe

KiM

EDIT: I forgot i wanted to make mention of the Turnigy and CC HV110s performance... The majority of the trip
was up hill, we didn't cain it but we weren't idling along either, the sort of speed though on hills that i didn't think the
outrunner would like much, the trike never did i have 2 burnout motors that testify to that LoL..So...when i got to the bike
shop i immediately checked the motors temp, i could hold my hand on it indefinitely, was not "hot" the ESC
that wasnt even warm, as in it was actually cool no heat whatsoever!! I don't really understand this i have read a few people
frying these and others posting they get toasty, except for Matts initial ride when the bike was
stuck in 3rd gear the ESC has not at any other time gotten hot enough to not be able to place
your hand on it indefinitely, usually it was like after this ride...still cool :-| I guess the scoop is doing its job :mrgreen:

Nice scores!
Good to hear you had a sucessful outing and the motor is holding up well. As you said the bikes look good together, even better when yours is finished.
I quite like Matts bike, but how does he get on with the cops ? Being all enclosed and the general appearance of it look very motor bikeish, and not having pedals makes it hard to argue it's actually a push bike!

Wow, two of the most beautiful E-bikes on the planet sitting next to each other! Very nice!

I find it funny that the one guy who cannot use pedals has them, while his buddy who could use them does not have any. :D

Quite funny!

The controller heat is a funny issue. What typically builds up motor heat is running at low RPM, low throttle setting, high load (maybe climbing a long hill). This builds up controller heat. Other than that, HV110 controllers are quite efficient. This allows them to run quite cool nearly all the time.

Matt

AussieJester said:
Thanks everyone for the comments, Hyena, yes at the end the belt did come off, this
is due to the shit Sturmey Archer hubs method of holding on their sprocket. There is an
unsuitable amount of sideways play in the sprocket (which my pulley is bolted too)
thus when continued load is put on the hub, the pulley leans to one side this throws the belt alignment of
isn't an issue when riding the bike normally, and wont be an issue in future when the eno is on the
freewheel hub either as they have a much more limited amount of play compared to the
sturmey

I asked GGoodrum about this issue with the large sprocket adapter that he had made up. He said it wasn't an issue,
but the amount of play on the one I have seems like it would cause exactly what you are experiencing.
Do you have the bearing dust cap on there? It may be a moot point if the thing is broken already,
But, it definitely snugged things up for me when I put the that on there. It acts like a thrust washer.
There are some shims you can buy as well, or make, to tighten up the pulley.

But even with that, the large diameter pulley or sprocket will definitely multiply any runout in the system.

I had an idea, that if you abandon the sturmy clip and use the three spline slots as pin guides or round keyways.
This would require one to drill the sprocket or pulley with a Bolt Circle Diameter that matches the input driver of the three speed.
Then you would thread the holes. Then you would have to machine the ID of the pulley or sprocket to be a tight slip fit
over the input driver. THis would leeave you with a half a hole with threads. You'd want to do this so that the bolts you use would be a slight interference fit.
The bolts wold lock it down like keys.
View attachment 3speedAlt.jpg
Anyway best of luck regardless. Good work!

Hyena said:
I quite like Matts bike, but how does he get on with the cops ?

Funny you should ask actually, I hope Matt wont mind me relaying an experience he had with the Police
few weeks back...He was riding with a friend who was on a MTB with a 49cc ICE motor when a Police
car was following them, his mate IIRC pulled down a side street while Matt waved the Police to stop, he asked if there was a problem and they said something along the lines of they were just trying to workout what he was riding. Matt replied with
something along the lines of its a electric bike made of bicyle parts. The questioned the pedals Matt mentioned he used to have pedals but simply never used them and took them off...They left on their merry way no issues. Now..If matt was a 16 year old hoon mouthing off at the cops and riding like an idiot things would of obviously been a whole lot different i think...
The pictures don't do Matts bike justice though it is so well made and finished its showroom condition, they would of been more in awe of it than worrying about the legalities, in person it looks more like a bicycle IMO, you can
see its made of bicycle components and your brain thinks bicycle not motorbike...well does for me anywayz...Matt rides it into Perth City Fire Station to work so he would be seen alot by Police no doubt even if he hasn't spotted them, maybe in future when e-bikes get more popular and the Police start looking more closely things might be different, i hazzard to guess by then Matt will have another e-bike thats just as nice and legal* (*we will never resort to 200watt so pedals will be as legal as we go i think LoL)

Matt.S...Yes i would have thought the HV110 would have gotten VERY VERY hot, there is one looooooong drawn out hill up
to Kalamunda that absolutely killed the Trikes brushed motor when towing the wheelchair, the Turnigy/HV110 combo yesterday though got to the top quicker and more efficiently, i touched the can on the motor at the top and it was
not too hot too hold my hand on it, it never gets too hot to hold my hand on the motor. Matt.P DEFINITELY nailed the gearing ratios for me though, it pulls hard off the line climbs any hill thrown in front of it and gets up over 50km/hr in quick time. 66v setup will just improve things even more... May have a lil surprise on my Infineon when Luke's finished with it...involves my 'Jester' artwork and Lukes CNC and the aluminium housing on the controller

Jester_Pic_flowing _Flag.jpg

^^ I have used this lil pic as my avatar for as long as i ben on the Interwebz..in one form or another, this is my latest
incarnation of the 'AussieJester'

12p3phPMDC...Yes it could easily be made better, but seeing the thing is veeery close to being replaced i'm not going to bother with it, the Sturmey is shot as predicted it wouldn't be able to take the high torque of the RC Motor, i did hope it would last longer than 2 weeks or so though LoL... Its only an issue when doing a burnout and how often you think ill do that with these tires that cost me over $US100 bucks a pop to get into OZ LoL...

Thanks Guyz...

KiM

p.s haha Matt.S Matt.P's next e-bike does have pedals too hehehe..also likely to have a FROCK motor unfortunately :mrgreen: Will still be a nice bike either way though. I haven't discounted talking Matt.P into a rc setup though as the Frock motor he's wanting is still out of stock :: fingers crossed:: it stays that way for as long as it takes to change his mind hehehe :mrgreen:

AussieJester said:
Matt waved the Police to stop, he asked if there was a problem
That's keen, I don't think I'd invite the scrutiny knowing that it was well over the legal limit if they decided to enforce it! It sounds like they were cool cops though which is good. I had a cop pull me over a few years back and asked what work I'd done to my car. I told him "just a sports exhaust, it needs a good tune up though because its running a bit rough" and he said "I know a lumpy cam when I hear one, I'm not going to book you I'm just interested what else you've done" We chatted for a bit, he checked my license and then said take it easy. I've also had the opposite happen though where they're real assholes and try to throw their weight around for a minor offense.

May have a lil surprise on my Infineon when Luke's finished with it...involves my 'Jester' artwork and Lukes CNC and the aluminium housing on the controller
Sweet!

Hyena said:
That's keen, I don't think I'd invite the scrutiny knowing that it was well over the legal limit if they decided to enforce it!

TBH...i would have done the exact same thing if they had folled me for any length of time, especially if its
in my area, once they have seen the bike they wouldn't bother me again..."it can produce 200watt which is the legal limit unfortunately hence the motors so tiny" :: cross fingers"" they dont notice my play on words and know anything about RC outrunners LoL Either way i haven't lied motor is small and it can prodcue 200watts... :mrgreen:

KiM

Hyena said:
AussieJester said:
Matt waved the Police to stop, he asked if there was a problem
That's keen, I don't think I'd invite the scrutiny knowing that it was well over the legal limit if they decided to enforce it! It sounds like they were cool cops though which is good. I had a cop pull me over a few years back and asked what work I'd done to my car. I told him "just a sports exhaust, it needs a good tune up though because its running a bit rough" and he said "I know a lumpy cam when I hear one, I'm not going to book you I'm just interested what else you've done" We chatted for a bit, he checked my license and then said take it easy. I've also had the opposite happen though where they're real assholes and try to throw their weight around for a minor offense.

May have a lil surprise on my Infineon when Luke's finished with it...involves my 'Jester' artwork and Lukes CNC and the aluminium housing on the controller
Sweet!

My mate and I had been cruising along at about 50kmh when the cops appeared behind us so I quickly dropped to about 25kmh and they just sat 3 metres of my tail for about 5 mins. It was getting rediculous and I was getting board of sitting on 25 kmh, so I stopped and invited them up next to me. They were very understanding and both young.
I am gathering parts for a new stealthy build as well, there will be a build thread soon.
Cheers,
Matt.p.

1000w said:
I am gathering parts for a new stealthy build as well, there will be a build thread soon.

Sooner the better Matt!! I would be so tempted to put the e-bike build off and
do the cafe' conversion to the Honda, that bike will be soooooo
nice when shes a cafe' racer...not that it isn't a classic now OH haha actually,
ill post a comment from another forum made after i posted info and intended conversion
there-->

BigDave said:
CB400F or most people 400/4 Super Sport. CAFE RACER Don't Do it Matt

Had one of these long time ago, should never of sold it. Big Regrets
ref: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=813504&page=12

Of course i assured him it WOULD be done and it will look insane haha

KiM

Ah thats fair enough if they were sitting right on your tail and following you. That's the benefit of having pedals I suppose, at a glance they see your legs kicking around and know its actually a bicycle.

What a slick cruiser. So sweet. The trailer is ....original :twisted: soo good. What is the max power you're putting through it (safely)?

grindz145 said:
What a slick cruiser. So sweet. The trailer is ....original :twisted: soo good. What is the max power you're putting through it (safely)?

Don't know if its safe but ~5800watts thus far in bursts...Hard to be 'conservative' on this bike, its too much fun not to run WOT
plus theres the whole hill thing we have going up here...

Burties Halls Sensor mount arrived yesterday, i have the hall sensors now all i need is the Infineon controller and im set to convert
Be a slight delay on the controller while Luke appreciates some wiminez in Costa Ricca hehee...

I picked up the 20x4.25in wheel i took to the LBS to have trued, they did a better job than I but still didn't manage to get the very slight flat spot out at the rims join. The ENO freewheel left SickBikes 12 days ago it should of been here by now :-S We have aheat wave
starting today with forecast temp of 38C today and into the 40C's later in the week

Thursday Possible afternoon thunderstorm. Min 24 Max 42
Friday Partly cloudy. Min 25 Max 41
Saturday Mostly sunny. Windy morning. Min 23 Max 39
Sunday Sunny. Windy morning. Min 23 Max 37
Monday Sunny. Min 21 Max 36
Tuesday Sunny. Min 20 Max 36

So even if it does arrive I'm unsure if it will be fitted immediately even though the Sturmey is all but dead :-S

KiM

Looking good in those pics Kim but can't seem to see the vids even though I've now got TOR working 8) My god that RC motor is tiny. Almost 6KW out of that is amazing. Matt's bike looks really nice too. You can see a lot of work has gone into it and it looks really well finished. It's got a real cruiser stance though, can imagine it looks kind of funny if you're pedaling, defintely a sit back and let the motor do the work kind of bike :) or maybe I need to adjust to that type of bike as I haven't seen many cruiser bikes in the flesh.

cell_man said:
Looking good in those pics Kim but can't seem to see the vids even though I've now got TOR working 8)

What online video sites like youtube are you able to access? I'll up them there for you to checkout if you like...

cell_man said:
My god that RC motor is tiny. Almost 6KW out of that is amazing.

Yup still amazes me the power these things have, the torque is insane...soon as HobbyCity have stock im grabbing another
two of the new style with larger skirted bearings, juries out on whether they will be the 180kv or the 130kv models though
i have ample gear reduction to use the 180kv motor as it is now without changing pulleys, if i do want it
lowered though i have the option to drop Mr Recumpence SiRs redcuction drive back to its stock config
currently its running ~4.5:1

cell_man said:
Matt's bike looks really nice too. You can see a lot of work has gone into it and it looks really well finished. It's got a real cruiser stance though, can imagine it looks kind of funny if you're pedaling, defintely a sit back and let the motor do the work kind of bike :) or maybe I need to adjust to that type of bike as I haven't seen many cruiser bikes in the flesh.

Matts bike can't be pedalled buddy, has no working pedals, tiz a comfy looking bike (i am not able to sitz on it so can't confirm..my butt
/pelvis wouldnt like the narrow hard seat unfortunately
) But looking at Matt and my mate Flav when he rode it it looks oooober comfy
long as your not a 6 footer or you would have trouble with knees knocking the bars when turning IIRC even Matts knees hit the bars on tight turns? Tiz fiiine looking bike attracts alot of attention when parked, sitting at the outside tables at the bakery with bikes parked out front not one person that went by didn't stop and checkout the rides was quite amusing ;)

Letz me know where to up the vids for you

Cheers mate...

KiM

Back