18 FET Low RDS MOSFET Overclocker Ready LYEN Controller $199

Lyen

10 kW
Update as of March 21st, 2015

Due to popular demand to use the IRFB4110. I have made a few extra model EC-184110 controllers. In fact, I have sold most of them before I even have got the chance to advertise. Part of the reason is that the 18 FET was originally a special request item from a member. But the word of mouths is making it becomes more popular so I had to make a few extra to keep up the ongoing requests.

* For the extremists, this controller is meant for easy modification without replacing the MOSFETs to IRFB4110 since it is already equipped. You may double and possibly triple the current output to make it a mighty wonder by adding braids wires and add solders to beef up the circuit board traces and shunt.

Updated:October 12nd, 2018
This is a special request edition from my previous buyers who wanted to have more options and do not mind a few extras. This controller is plug & play and ready to program.

See below (Please allow time for the images to finish loading since they are big files):

18fetv2.gif

Original description from last month:
These are newly hand assembled Infineon 18 FET controllers I am selling, they are never used. It is originally optimized to be used for the commute in the San Francisco hilly area with stop and go traffic. The best motor to be used is the 9C and the Crystalyte 4 & 5 series.

The controller is like a wolf in sheep's skin because it is under-tuned in order to balance between power and range. There are lots of potential and features you can unveil and twist as you go. You can program functions such as enable power regeneration, regenerate braking, pulse width modulation, low voltage cut-off, interface with a Cycle Analyst, and others. You may also add a USB to TTL serial adapter and connect to the controller for tuning. (Electronics knowledge is required to unleash the potential, however)

If you are going to use a 9C (Nine Continent) motor, it is recommended to stay with the current setup due to the thinner gauge wires being used with the hub motor. There is a potential that any current & voltage combination higher than the current 72V @ 65A will melt the phase wires in the hub motor and cause potential damage.

One unique feature of this controller is that it has an additional speed sensor circuitry built-in with an extra blue wire for output. It is to be used with the scooter style electric bike and electric scooters that have a speedometer in the dashboard. As of April 5th, 2010 the speed sensor wire has been embedded and integrated with the green wire on the CA connector since they both can share the same function now. More practical and less confusion as suggested by previous buyers.
:)

If you look carefully in the pictures, you will notice this version also uses lock washers to secure the FETs internally and the heat transfer bar outside to place tension against a nut after tightening. It is also to help prevent the nut from loosening. The FETs will get overheated and damaged when detached from the heat-sink which used to be the case from the previous designs.

Lastly, there is no compromise for safety. The controller is equipped with silicon and high-temperature wires for flexibility and heat resistance up to 200 degree Celsius or 392 degrees Fahrenheit. The phase wires to the motor are also high temperature equipped. I have also added the high power connectors so you do not have to.

Below is the specification:
Model: EC-184110-LYEN EDITION
Start immediate controller
Chipset: XCKJ8B116A
Circuit board version: EB218-A-3
18 x genuine IRFB 4110 MOSFET N-CH 100V (tested up to 110V before damage) for more information about the FET, click the link below:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=IRFB4110PBF-ND)
72V battery optimized (for higher or lower voltage & current such as 36V-100V, you may need to change the resistor network to avoid damage to the voltage regulator)
65A is the current rate (for higher current, you may need to beef up the trace, shunt, and reprogram it via the software)
Low voltage cut-off: 62.6v
Battery and motor phase wires gauge size: 12AWG
Dimension: 9" x 3.4" x 1.75"( 229mm x 87mm x 45mm) plus mount extensions
Total weight: 805 gram

In case you are thinking to upgrade it later onto became Methods-proof, Steveo-proof, and Doctorbass-proof, you may only need to thicken the traces on the circuit board in order to pull a bus like Doctorbass. We have a friend here Steveo who do awesome controllers upgrade for a fee. :)

I currently have only 75 made as of July 1st, 2013 since I am busy working on my other ebike projects. My intention for selling at such low price is to share the fun with other ES forum members instead of making them jealous. :wink: I finally understand why Methods mentioned the cost of labor is steep after all this and I have to agree with him from now on. These controllers are not generic controllers. I have every single one serialized. Quantity is limited, buy it now and upgrade later once your piggy bank is filled up if needed. :lol:

$199 USD free ground shipping in the US & Canada. For other locations, please PM or email me at LYEN@HOTMAIL.COM. I accept PayPal, cash or money order. The controllers will be shipped out from me in San Francisco, California, USA. I will provide a tracking number and ship it out as soon as I have received the fund.

You may click on the PayPal Buy It Now link below to purchase the controller only for $199:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=UGEDKCQN23BGL

I can also provide the following add-on(s) in addition to the original:
1. Cycle Analyst connector plug (see picture below)
2. Regenerative braking can now be enable/disable by connecting/dis-connecting a wire with male/female plugs (see picture below)
3. External connector to the USB-TTL adapter
4. USB-TTL programming adapter for this edition. The USB-TTL adapter features a connector that can separate between the USB-TTL module and the controller. The USB-TTL adapter comes with a programming activate switch[/color]

Please click below to purchase the controller with the add-on(s) mentioned above for only $224. ($10 for CA connector, Regen Enable/Disable Jumper, USB-TTL plug; $20 for USB-TTL programming adapter; total = $30 if sold separate)
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=AG868BQJPDG4U

Attached are the pictures of the controller. Please allow time for the images to finish loading since they are big files. 8)
18fet1b.gif

18fet2.gif

http://lyen.com/Products/Controllers/18_FET_4110_Mark_II_Overclocker_Ready_LYEN_Edition_Controller/screencapture18fetsetti.png

Additional accessories (prices are reflected with controller purchase only. Please contact if you are interested to buy without controller):
$15 throttle (full/half/thumb) with mated left rubber grip (very good quality) (ebikekit retails @ $36)
$19 cruise control (manually installation required)
$15 three way speed switch (manually installation required)
$15 PAS - Pedal Assist System add-on (manually installation required)
$15 electric brake levers a pair
$29 motor/controller hall/phase/throttle tester

Dear Mechanix,

I have emailed you the program and the software driver for the USB-TTL adapter. You can just hook it up to your computer. The controller get its power from the USB port only when in programming mode. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!

Below is the brief instruction:

1. Unplug the controller from the battery
2. Plug the USB adapter to the controller's 5 pins end
3. Extract the zipped file onto you local directory (example: My Doucments, Desktop, C:\temp, etc.)
4. Execute the file name PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v110.exe (it is Windows 2K, XP 32bit/64bit, Vista 32bit/64bit, Win7 32bit/64bit compatible by the way)
5. Plug the USB-TTL adapter into an USB port on your PC.
6. Give it about 30 seconds to a minute for the computer to recognize and install the driver for the adapter
7. Open Parameter Designer For 116 folder and execute the file called Parameter Designer For 116.exe
8. Select the "Comm Num" to choose the com port associate with the USB adapter. You can find out by open Control Panel > Phone and Modem Options
9. Choose OpenFile > Preset at 65A.asv and it will populate the default value
10. Adjust the appropriate settings you need such as the Halt Voltage (low voltage cutoff) and others
11. When you are satisfied with the settings, save yourself a copy by click on StoreFile
12. When ready to send the settings over to the controller, click Start Transmit
13. Press the button on the USB-TTL adapter right after you clicked on the Start Transmit
14. You will see the result/feedback from the status box on the program indicating it has been transmitted successfully with an OK.

For more programming details see the link below:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13638

Best Regards,
Edward Lyen

I like this, now my e-bike will be more intelligent than my chevy and just as fast in urban traffic! Now if I could only fold my schwinn up and stick it in a pouch - like a YikeBike....uh...maybe next year :D

I have brewed five more. After these are gone, I will not be able to brew more for a while due to the difficulties in sourcing certain electronic components unless I can acquire in large quantities. So at this moment if they are gone, they are really gone. :)

Your Truly,
Lyen

Uhrm >>upgrade the FETs to 4110<<, I thought you equiped 18 x genuine IRFB 4110 MOSFET already?! :p

I want buy one, however money isn't permit till this Friday. I can come to the SF location and pick it up instead.

Lyen said:
Update as of Apri 11th, 2010

In case you want to upgrade it later on to became Methods-proof, Steveo-proof, and Doctorbass-proof, you may need to upgrade the FETs to 4110 to achieve higher current as well as voltage above 100V. We have a friend here Steveo who do awesome controllers upgrade for a fee. :)

chroot said:
Uhrm >>upgrade the FETs to 4110<<, I thought you equiped 18 x genuine IRFB 4110 MOSFET already?! :p

I want buy one, however money isn't permit till this Friday. I can come to the SF location and pick it up instead.

Lyen said:
Update as of Apri 11th, 2010

In case you want to upgrade it later on to became Methods-proof, Steveo-proof, and Doctorbass-proof, you may need to upgrade the FETs to 4110 to achieve higher current as well as voltage above 100V. We have a friend here Steveo who do awesome controllers upgrade for a fee. :)

Hi Chroot!

Thanks for the catch! I have edited and fixed it so no need to upgrade the IRFB4110 twice. LOL :D
I can send to out to you for free so you do not have to come all the way to pick it up since driving to the city from the East Bay may costs you $5 for the bridge toll on top of the gas price. But if you want, we can probably set up an event and ride together with Fechter, Methods, aaronski, kevo, shortcircuit911, Ericlai, and other ES friends in the Bay Area together. That's gonna be fun. :D

Regards,
Lyen

Anytime, Sound good plan and I would love join an event and ride together with ES members. My 9c kit will arrive this friday, Only 2 items left is controller and the battery 72v Headway pack or a LiPo pack then I am ready :)

Lyen said:
Thanks for the catch! I have edited and fixed it so no need to upgrade the IRFB4110 twice. LOL :D
I can send to out to you for free so you do not have to come all the way to pick it up since driving to the city from the East Bay may costs you $5 for the bridge toll on top of the gas price. But if you want, we can probably set up an event and ride together with Fechter, Methods, aaronski, kevo, shortcircuit911, Ericlai, and other ES friends in the Bay Area together. That's gonna be fun. :D

Regards,
Lyen

woo hoo Lyen finally sent the controller. I bought the original 18fet controller from him 3 weeks ago. Then he got the 4110 fet version so I upgraded to that with no hassle. I asked him to hold off on shipping b/c I may buy more stuff from him. After paying for everything 2 weeks ago, he finally got all the parts and shipped it yesterday. Now all I need is a motor and batteries. I'm still looking for a black 26" Crystalyte 5303 RWD with disc and 9speed freewheel and 72v 20ah lifepo4 battery pack and charger.

I recieved the controller :) it works real good!
I use it at a scooter style e bike

PM me anytime for a ride, I'm a 9-5'er in the financial district. living in Richmond. Be happy to ride just about anywhere. Lyen built up my bike for me and it's running great, but needs more batteries. I need more money!

Lyen, Please pm me and need find what you have in stock. I will need purchase one of your 18 fets controller for my new
2nd ebike.

Thank you! :)

I received the Controller Yesterday, First class packaging job ! Canada Post did it's best to obliterate the box and it still came through as new !
Unfortunately, I can't test my bike. Damned Snow.... :roll: (How hard would it be to put a Snow Shovel on my bike?.. :wink: )

Hi Ed

for the benefit of myself and everyone else who has one of these: what can I safely lower the voltage down to?

I want to run 18S A123 {59v-65v highest, 50v lowest} would I need to do any work to the controller beforehand??

Is it simply a case of programming the controller for 65v High and 50v low??

If not, do you have an 18 Fet controller which is better suited to these ranges??

Many thanks.

The Mighty Volt said:
Hi Ed

for the benefit of myself and everyone else who has one of these: what can I safely lower the voltage down to?

I want to run 18S A123 {59v-65v highest, 50v lowest} would I need to do any work to the controller beforehand??

Is it simply a case of programming the controller for 65v High and 50v low??

If not, do you have an 18 Fet controller which is better suited to these ranges??

Many thanks.

PM sent to avoid confusions due to multiple scenarios.

I'm just now getting around to wiring up the controller and realizing that I don't know what half of these connectors are called. I recognize the blade connectors, but it would be nice to know which brand and size they are to make sure that I can match the fit exactly, and the white plastic multi-pole connectors look like molex but I've never seen molex connectors with square holes like this so I'm not really sure where to start looking for them. At any rate, if you could list some part numbers, it would be much appreciated.

PM Replied :)

Indubitably said:
I'm just now getting around to wiring up the controller and realizing that I don't know what half of these connectors are called. I recognize the blade connectors, but it would be nice to know which brand and size they are to make sure that I can match the fit exactly, and the white plastic multi-pole connectors look like molex but I've never seen molex connectors with square holes like this so I'm not really sure where to start looking for them. At any rate, if you could list some part numbers, it would be much appreciated.

I have been running this controller on a tiny 24s1p A123 pack with a 5305 in a 20" wheel and damn is it fun!!!! Controller barely got warm, wheel barely got warm. Battery pack got very warm!!! I saw almost 80A peak. Great controller.

Good to know, I've got mine set at 57v lvc (for a 24s 40ah thundersky pack) and was a little squeamish about setting the max output at 80 amps, but if you've been hitting that without any trouble I will probably be fine. Can't wait to finally get it on the bike and start tooling around, sounds like this controller will make for a pretty zippy ride.

Are these controllers voltage specific, or do they have a range, for instance 48-72 volts?
Do they all have the same options, besides the higher FET/current rate? maybe a compare list somewhere?
Are the enclosures watertight?
Are they available with a bit longer motor and battery wires?
Thanks!

Back