Rapture! by Dusty Donnay

^^ they look a lil 'whimpy' couldn't you find anything larger :mrgreen:

Hope you have a decent soldering iron at hand ;) HIGHLY recommend the
turbo iron if you (anyone) need
cheap iron upto the task, i bought one after LiveForPhysics recommend them in a thread and couldnt
be more pleased with it, makes short work of saturating 10GA and thicker wire with solder

Best of luck with the wiring, was least favourite part of my build i know that LoL

KiM

HI ALL: You can get these dc-dc convertors a (THUNDERSTRUCK MOTORS.COM) up 48 volt for $25.00 and up to 72 volt $35.00 I ave 2 of each and thay are good people to deal with. :mrgreen:

WOW, that is one sweet iron! I have two that I love, but I need that one too.

AussieJester said:
^^ they look a lil 'whimpy' couldn't you find anything larger :mrgreen:

Hope you have a decent soldering iron at hand ;) HIGHLY recommend the
turbo iron if you (anyone) need
cheap iron upto the task, i bought one after LiveForPhysics recommend them in a thread and couldnt
be more pleased with it, makes short work of saturating 10GA and thicker wire with solder

Best of luck with the wiring, was least favourite part of my build i know that LoL

KiM

UGH! I been robbed! LOL Thanks for the link! Hadent seen them before, http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/index.htm this is them actually. Great stuff! Thanks again. SS

BLUESTREAK said:
HI ALL: You can get these dc-dc convertors a (THUNDERSTRUCK MOTORS.COM) up 48 volt for $25.00 and up to 72 volt $35.00 I ave 2 of each and thay are good people to deal with. :mrgreen:

Those big sb50's in red are all my new power lines, the blue,green, and yellow are for my Delta/Wye conversion. Im using the sb50's the pos sides for the original legs, the neg side of each color for the seperated legs. So each color has both ends of that coil, three colors, six leads. But going from the controller to the relays, Im using the 75a power poles.
DSC_2732.jpg

This is how both my controllers are set up as of now, need to add some sleeving to clean it up, still havent put in a power switch for the Lyens controller, or the usb adapter yet either, tomarrow...usb! I like the mini dry switch methods used, think Ill do that for the power.
DSC_2741.jpg

heres the inside of my box with the 12FET 45a Infineon, the hall wire block isnt color matched yet, this is a temp set up. The Phase leg connectors are so big you cant even see the red sb50 power connector behind it! LOL The colors on the motor side of the phase is diferent on the blue and yellow cause the motor is golden motor.
DSC_2739.jpg

Been working hard to get the delta/wye project going. I got a brand new 9C motor
Not even a mile on it! Time to destroy!
DSC_2692.jpg

the cover was under much silicone, took alot of work to take off!
DSC_2693.jpg

used my dremel to grind grooves deep eneough to get a screwdriver under the lip and work around it to loosen the silicone
DSC_2694.jpg

I like to take pictures of things I might have to reassemble at a later date........never know.
DSC_2696.jpg

PWNED! LOL
DSC_2704.jpg

Labeling is good practice too...
DSC_2719.jpg

I cut off the old crap and started fresh with my own handiwork, I dont trust these companies to do a great job.
DSC_2724.jpg

Yup, get some flux and solder in that twist!
DSC_2726.jpg

I was wondering if all these wires would fit in my sleeving.... yup!
DSC_2713.jpg

But will they fit in the axle...yup on that too!
DSC_2712.jpg

Sparing you the spaghetti show, heres my version of the hub. Stainless zip ties, Im afraid of the heat melting the plastic ones.
DSC_2727.jpg

Isnt she pretty now! Just waiting on more parts! More to come......
DSC_2730.jpg

45a andersons for hall wires ?! Dude talk about overkill...

Re: the side covers, I find you need to start with a smaller screw driver - get the smallest flat blade you can find, even a little jewellers one, get that in first then you can get the bigger ones in.

Sweet looking bike, it should be a beast when done. What sort of current are you planning to run ?

I have a Lyens 18 FET 72v 65a Infineon going on with the Delta/Wye hub. And am at six 12v 20AH SLA's. The batteries have no problem giving all the amps my controller can push. Heavy, but cheap and good flow! Yes, it is overkill on almost every angle. If they werent so expensive, Id have overkill of LiFePo4's goin on! But the SLA's are working for me while I put my hard money in the other stuff for now. When theres nothing left to do, batteries will be off the hook! I did have the big fat tab connectors for my power wires, but They were melting the plastic boots! Needed better contact! ONLY thing that gets hot now is the hub! Gotta start breaking my work commute into one with a pit stop. Keep it all alive, of course, I could back off the throttle.......NAW!
Hyena said:

Re: the side covers, I find you need to start with a smaller screw driver - get the smallest flat blade you can find, even a little jewellers one, get that in first then you can get the bigger ones in.

Sweet looking bike, it should be a beast when done. What sort of current are you planning to run ?

You shouldn't really be melting stuff. I have essentially the same set up - 72v 60 controller running 10ga power leads and 12ga phase leads with only 45a andersons and they don't get hot. The hub on the other hand you could try and egg on, and that's with air cooling. I'd seriously look into drilling some holes in your side covers or atleast fit a temperature probe.

Actually, when i was melting stuff i was running some very thin extension cord for powerlines. There was a heat build up at the base of the connector, really melted the boots! I switched to 12g Scosche High Performance Speaker Wire, and beefed up EVERYTHING in the power system, then just kept goin. Got carried away maybe. I am looking at the heat issue seriously, but not sure yet where to go with it yet. I live in Fla. and even if it aint pouring, we get periods of misty rain and wet fog that can rival Seattle! Just today, I left it was dry, and before I got to work went through three mist, and a short light drizzle. If ya ride bike in St. Petersburg and dont want to get wet, stay home. LOL evidently its a subject thats been discussed, though I havent found all the threads yet. I read a little of the holes, and filling with some ah..... mineral spirits? I thought about maybe making some custom heat sink that can go between the spoke runners, even entertained the idea of a radiator. Tonight Im bringing my multimeter home with me, it has a temp guage so I can get an accurate feel for where the heat is at. after ten miles hard ride it was hot, but not rediculous. But this is with the 12FET 45amp controller. The 18FET 65amp hasent even been turned on for the first time yet. Still working out all my mods. Anyway, Im nervous about holes were water can do damage instead of heat. Am I just worried about nothing?

DSC_2752.jpg
Looky! I think its serial number 1~! I always wanted to get the first one of sumthin! WOOO HOOO! Now lets go blow it up!

Here we go with some more fun!
The job...
DSC_2750.jpg

The box begins...
DSC_2742.jpg

Playing with stars...(you know, delta/star...I know Im hilarious, no need to compliment the humor)
DSC_2743.jpg

Progress
DSC_2745.jpg

DSC_2746.jpg

Now were talkin pizza, I mean spaghetti~!
DSC_2748.jpg

DSC_2749.jpg

Excellent documentation there SilverSurfer thanks for making the effort to document it so clearly! i reckon even
i could tackle a delta wye frock motor 'convertion' using the info you have laid out, and i have had enough trouble in the past
wiring one relay let alone 6 of the suckers ! ...Best of luck with the rest of the work :)

KiM

Ok, spaghetti mess into organized......mess.
DSC_2748.jpg

DSC_2754.jpg

DSC_2755.jpg

DSC_2756.jpg

DSC_2758.jpg

DSC_2763.jpg

DSC_2761.jpg

DSC_2764.jpg

and tested the relays, all six switched... less than an amp... not a problem!
DSC_2759.jpg

top speed this morning! lol just had to share...fastest Ive been on it. I know most you guys like Km/hr. But these are MPH!
DSC_2777.jpg

SS,

Great build. I love everything but the lead, though at least you placed it in as ideal a location as possible. The big rectangle are killing your aerodynamics. Add something rounded on the front and longer and pointed on the back. Complete the look as fuel tanks on an airplane wing, and you'll pick up some speed and range as well as look really cool.

John

yes, I see what you mean, the flatness is causing friction with the atmospheric gasses!

boob+rocket.jpg

Some proper shape engineering is in order!

:shock:

John in CR said:
SS,

Great build. I love everything but the lead, though at least you placed it in as ideal a location as possible. The big rectangle are killing your aerodynamics. Add something rounded on the front and longer and pointed on the back. Complete the look as fuel tanks on an airplane wing, and you'll pick up some speed and range as well as look really cool.

John

Nice work mate, having just done the star delta conversion myself I know it's a bit of a headache working out all the relay/phase wiring!
I trawled through the 9C star/delta thread a few times then sat there for half an hour scribbling out how I'd wire my relays and with what wires where!

Is that top speed of 39mph in delta mode though ? I get pretty much that exact top speed in star mode on 73v

Hyena said:

I dunno about that.

The Phase Current can be about 3 times as high as the Battery Current.

Oh, sorry.

Yes, overkill.

But easy to swap around, and reliable.

SS,

Not only are you forcing those 2 flat surfaces through the wind, but at the back you have a vacuum that is pulling reward. If you ever ride into headwinds the effect of those flat surfaces would be huge, and with no wind I guarantee it's costing you over 1mph in top speed. The bike is so cool, I'm thinking of copying it.

Something nice and easy could work, because since that chainguard is dead straight, you can get away with a flat top and bottom. Try it with posterboard to check out the look. 3 ideas are:

1. Use a piece of larger diameter pvc pipe, or sheet plastic or metal to make a half cylinder to simply round the front and back. If you make them a bit longer than the ammo boxes are high and a sheet of something thin to cover the sides, then you could easily straighten out the slightly off angle of the boxes.

2. Better aero than just both rounded could be accomplished with a long piece of sheet aluminum or plastic. Just rivet or glue the 2 ends together face to face to form the rear point. Put it over the ammo boxes and attach with the rounded end in front. The top and bottom would make it form the perfect teardrop shape, as well as give you storage space with a flip up top. Using sheet aluminum you could add little weight and might not even need to paint it.

3. Similar to number 2, but just make the side closest to the bike flat by using something like a piece of plywood. Then use sheet AL, plastic, or even very thin plywood to bend around the ammo box.

No, that stock GM on 72v 45a infineon. Delta/Star not ready quite yet. Probobly a week. Waiting on some goodies, and perfecting my controller.
Hyena said:
Nice work mate, having just done the star delta conversion myself I know it's a bit of a headache working out all the relay/phase wiring!
I trawled through the 9C star/delta thread a few times then sat there for half an hour scribbling out how I'd wire my relays and with what wires where!

Is that top speed of 39mph in delta mode though ? I get pretty much that exact top speed in star mode on 73v

Back