ThinkLipo-IsDangerous?Watch tap water burst into flame!

MitchJi

10 MW
Hi,

From a movie on the dangers of Fracking. Check the video clip "Can you do this with your tap water" here:
http://www.gasland.us/
Special_Jury_Prize_Doc10.jpg

When filmmaker Josh Fox discovers that Natural Gas drilling is coming to his area—the Catskillls/Poconos region of Upstate New York and Pennsylvania, he sets off on a 24 state journey to uncover the deep consequences of the United States’ natural gas drilling boom. What he uncovers is truly shocking—water that can be lit on fire right out of the sink, chronically ill residents of drilling areas from disparate locations in the US all with the same mysterious symptoms, huge pools of toxic waste that kill cattle and vegetation well blowouts and huge gas explosions consistently covered up by state and federal regulatory agencies. These are just a few of the many absurd and astonishing revelations of a new country called GASLAND.

Press Release:
http://www.gasland.us/GASLANDPRESSRELEASE.pdf

More info:
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/2/23/congress_to_investigate_safety_of_natural
Congress to Investigate Safety of Natural Gas Drilling Practice Known as Hydraulic Fracturing

The top Democrats on the House Committee on Energy and Commerce have asked eight oil-field companies to disclose the chemicals they’ve used and the wells they’ve drilled in over the past four years. Last week, Waxman also revealed two of the largest gas drilling companies have pumped hundreds of thousands of gallons of diesel-based fluids into the ground in violation of a voluntary agreement with the Environmental Protection Agency.

Josh Fox, director of GasLand. Won Special Jury Prize for Documentary at the Sundance Film Festival. In GasLand, Josh Fox travels across the United States to meet people whose lives have been impacted by natural gas drilling.

Wait... my gas bill was $2000 last month but I can get it in my water for free??? :shock:
L0cK

Hehe... Victorian home. 7 bedrooms. 3 kitchens. 99 Miss Havisham's that don't like cold seats in any of the 9 washrooms...
:wink:
loCk

That video with the flame out of the tap is NOT natural gas. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say some sort of solvent thinned paraffin from the rate of deflagration and the clear yellow/orange incandescence of the carbon particles after the first bond is broken in a 2 stage combustion process.

Natural gas burns with a 1-stage combustion process, and with a wavelength in the 420-480nm range.

Also, natural gas rises rapidly in our atmosphere, it does not spill down to fill a vessel like a sink, but rapidly rises up.

I would definitely put money on it that the sink ignition video is a setup, engineered, and planted scene. Likely had a whole number of takes on it as well. lol

The gas co's are pumping solvents and liquid explosives (deep) into their wells now to "fracture" rock and extract more gas from wells that otherwise would have been played out w/old tech... They claim into rock waaay deeper than where drinking etc water is extracted... The State of NY recently declared a moratorium on the practice I believe. Hard to believe *anything* injected into the crust won't find its way to the surface eventually.
L

Hi Luke,

liveforphysics said:
That video with the flame out of the tap is NOT natural gas. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say some sort of solvent thinned paraffin from the rate of deflagration and the clear yellow/orange incandescence of the carbon particles after the first bond is broken in a 2 stage combustion process.

Natural gas burns with a 1-stage combustion process, and with a wavelength in the 420-480nm range.

Also, natural gas rises rapidly in our atmosphere, it does not spill down to fill a vessel like a sink, but rapidly rises up.

Its unrefined natural gas and/or the chemicals used in fracking.
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/cracking_down_on_fracking_20100223/
Reports indicate that almost 600 different chemicals are used in fracking, including diesel fuel and the “BTEX” chemicals: benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylenes, which include known carcinogens.
JOSH FOX: It’s hard to believe—2005 energy bill, there’s something in there called the “Halliburton Loophole,” which exempts the natural gas industry, specifically for hydraulic fracturing, this technique, this new technique that they use to extract the gas, from the Safe Drinking Water Act.

And the technique itself injects an enormous amount of toxic material into the ground, causes these mini earthquakes through hydraulic pressure. A lot of that—and we don’t actually know what’s going on under the ground, because when the Safe Drinking Water Act—when they were exempted from the Safe Drinking Water Act, they—all the science stopped. The EPA was taken off the job. But what we were finding was—across the country were these chemicals showing up in people’s water. Methane and other volatile organic compounds, such as benzene, toluene and xylene, were showing up in people’s water supplies. And so, you know.
Apparently its a common test:
JOSH FOX: Well, this is Mike Markham, whose water supply is still hooked up. He noticed bubbling and gurgling in his well, and there was pockets of some kind of gas or air. And he—you know, when this happens and they complain to the Colorado Oil and Gas Commission, they come over and they stick a cigarette lighter underneath the sink to see if their water is flammable. So, a lot of people in that area, which is a heavy gas drilling area, would go ahead and test it themselves. And he discovered, lo and behold, that he could light his water on fire. So what you see right there is this enormous explosion coming right out of Mike’s sink. I ended up doing it myself, you know, and lighting the water on fire out of the sink just moments after him.
If the gas/chemicals get mixed with underground water why wouldn't they come out a faucet?

liveforphysics said:
I would definitely put money on it that the sink ignition video is a setup, engineered, and planted scene. Likely had a whole number of takes on it as well. lol
I don't think so. To easy to prove its faked which would undermine the entire documentary.

How much money do you want to put on it :) ? Never mind, I'd feel guilty taking your money :p.

Well over a year ago I remember seeing footage on CNN of many different residences in a particular geographical area being able to light their water on fire directly from the faucet. Sure didn't seem staged.

Wells are always getting contaminated where I'm from in west virginia from natural gas wells. There was a old hand pump at my grandma's we couldn't drink out of from natural gas contamination and there was a pond close to my house that was a deadzone for a few years from a new well. Eventually the fish came back. I always took it for granted growing up, between coal and natural gas you couldn't eat the fish from anywhere. My grand dad used to run his diesiel tractors on the waste that came out of the natural gas well on his property :lol: :cry:

Can't eat the fish in west virginia if there are any. Many of the rivers in west virginia don't have any fish in them from coal mines or if they do its from where they dump large amounts of lime in tributaries to neutralize the acid runnoff.

http://www.wchstv.com/newsroom/wvwildlife/2004/ww040428.shtml

All you guys scoffing this clearly never lived in the gas well regions. I spent a year living in JAL NM, the center of the El Paso Natural Gas company production field. Believe me all the horror storys of gas production are true. The fracking is pretty bad, the entire area seeps stinking natural gas. Sure it rises, but there is so dang much of it that it can't blow away but so fast. The raw gas coming from the ground has lots of contaminants that make it burn pretty colors. The company is perfectly happy to recover only a percentage, and let a ton of gas seep everywhere after they frack.

In JAL it was tons of nice hydogen sulfide. When a well is first drilled the gas is so nasty it will ruin the cleaning and compressing plant if they try to use it. So they take that 10" pipe with gas roaring out of it and light it, and let it burn for about 6 weeks. They drilled a new well about 200 yards from my house, and since it was spring the dang thing would blow out about 6 times a day. I'd wake up with a terrible headache, and think, yep the gas well flare is out again. Imagine living for a month next to a 10" gas pipe wide open 200 yards from your house. Other houses were even closer.

I was so glad to get fired from that job so I could leave! Clean natural gas is about as clean as coal. Same thing for the gasoline. Go solar!

They wouldn't have an auto re-strike setup on a burner? It seems so strange this industry would operate like wasteful clowns.

I can believe that if the sink is spitting out petroleum products than the video is real. I was under the impression they were trying to say it was natural gas burning, which it certainly wasn't, my mistake. :oops:

It's a puzzle why they wouldn't install a simple water trap setup on there well water to separate out the petrol products. They could maintain a supply of useful non-potable water, and collect a fuel source at the same time. Something like a 10ft tall water/oil separation stack mounted to the side of the house, with a upper drain-off into a barrel for the petrol products seems like a very simple to do option.

It also seems strange that if a business here in WA dumps a gallon of oil into the ground, and the EPA see's it, it's a substantial fine, and they are required to make an effort to clean it up, and take precautions to avoid it happening again. Do these frackers pump in huge amounts of oil from an external source, or do they just re-locate naturally existing oils in the ground, which results in contamination of various underground water supplies?

Hi Luke,
liveforphysics said:
It also seems strange that if a business here in WA dumps a gallon of oil into the ground, and the EPA see's it, it's a substantial fine, and they are required to make an effort to clean it up, and take precautions to avoid it happening again. Do these frackers pump in huge amounts of oil from an external source, or do they just re-locate naturally existing oils in the ground, which results in contamination of various underground water supplies?
There is a federal law (Bush admin) that exempts fracking from the clean water act so the EPA hasn't gotten involved. The fact that the industry felt they needed an exemption should be all you need to know.

They pump in a mixture of water and chemicals (many of which are toxic). The are not even required to disclose the chemicals they are using. Some of them are known however.

They are extracting natural gas from deposits of shale. They pump in fluid to fracture the shale releasing the gas. The contamination is the result of both the chemicals in the fracking fluids and the unrefined natural gas contaminating the water.

http://greenwombat.blogs.fortune.cn...ro-group-deploys-green-tech-against-fracking/
In my new Green State column on Grist, I write about how an environmental justice group in Texas is using a greenhouse gas analyzer from Silicon Valley’s Picarro to detect pollution from natural gas fracking operations in two communities near Dallas:

If you had been driving through North Texas this week you might have seen a white Dodge Sprinter van circling some of the natural gas wells and compression stations that have sprung up around the Barnett Shale belt like boom-time subdivisions.

Drillers tap natural gas by splitting shale through a process called hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, that injects fluids laced with chemicals into the rock formations. The proliferation of shale gas drilling northeast of Dallas has ignited an uproar among residents, some of whom fear that fracking could be poisoning ground water and polluting the air with carcinogens. But the industry won’t disclose all the chemicals it uses and Texas environmental authorities won’t compel them to do so.…

Twenty miles to the southeast in the Dallas exurb of Flower Mound, methane concentrations near natural gas wells literally went off the analyzer’s chart, topping 40 parts per million, says Subra and Picarro executives.…
flower-mound-methane.png

Quite a bit of information in this article (repeat post of link):

February 23, 2010

The top Democrats on the House Committee on Energy and Commerce have asked eight oil-field companies to disclose the chemicals they’ve used and the wells they’ve drilled in over the past four years. Last week, Waxman also revealed two of the largest gas drilling companies have pumped hundreds of thousands of gallons of diesel-based fluids into the ground in violation of a voluntary agreement with the Environmental Protection Agency.

and here:
http://www.democracynow.org/2009/10/6/environmental_battle_brews_in_new_york
October 06, 2009

Last week, government regulators opened the door to natural gas drilling inside the Marcellus Shale watershed, which supplies drinking water to some 15 million people, including nine million New Yorkers. Stretching from New York to Kentucky, the shale is believed to hold some of the world’s largest deposits of natural gas. Proponents say the drilling will boost the nation’s economic recovery and reduce dependence on foreign oil. But environmentalists are warning the drilling could contaminate New York’s water supply as it has in other states. The proposed regulations are now open for public comment until the end of the next month, followed by a final decision early next year.

http://www.democracynow.org/2009/11/10/watchdog_new_york_state_regulation_of
November 10, 2009

The New York-based Toxics Targeting went through the Department of Environmental Conservation’s own database of hazardous substances spills over the past thirty years. They found 270 cases documenting fires, explosions, wastewater spills, well contamination and ecological damage related to gas drilling. Many of the cases remain unresolved. The findings are contrary to repeated government assurances that existing natural gas well regulations are sufficient to safeguard the environment and public health. The state is considering allowing for gas drilling in the Marcellus Shale watershed, the source of drinking water for 15 million people, including nine million New Yorkers.

You've never seen waste till you've seen the petroleum production guys at work! It must be somewhat more efficeint now, my experience was in 1980. But maybe not, the prices nowdays make a tidy profit.

But the fracking is worse than ever now. They basicly shatter the crap out of the underground, and then get more production from the well. They don't care at all if they frack under your house, ( you don't own the mineral rights ) and then your house water well becomes fizzy with natural gas, fracking chemicals, hydrogen sulfide, etc. Back in the day, they drilled every 1/2 mile or more. Now they drill a lot more wells closer together, and will happily drill in your front yard. By the time they are done, 100% of the underground has been shattered by the fracking, making all the nasty stuff leak everywhere.

I can't blame you for being skeptical. It really is unbelievable till you have lived in that crap.

[youtube]Ttoqmvv3u_s[/youtube]

So the original link to the site for the video is gone, but I assume the video below is what it showed. Here's the problem with that video: NOONE who lives in that area ever remembers a time when the faucet DIDN'T do that. Locals spoke of being kids in the 1930's and lighting the surface of a lake on fire at night to hang out in the summer. This was a natural phenomenon long before fracking. Which I'm dying to find out about but I never come up with anything.

But now that bottom video: Is he training the crowd to pretend they've done all this?

http://www.pnas.org/content/111/39/14076

[youtube]Ty1j8qUDDE0[/youtube]

[youtube]mjJV0CaJyVM[/youtube]

Back