5304 top speed @52V?

vodka

100 W
hello, can anyone tell me the top speed of a Crystalyte 5304 @ 52 Volts on 26 " rim? I get
only 42 km/h (26 mph) measured with GPS. Just wondering if it's really a 5304 cause i
thought it should go faster.

thanks

vodka said:
hello, can anyone tell me the top speed of a Crystalyte 5304 @ 52 Volts on 26 " rim? I get
only 42 km/h (26 mph) measured with GPS. Just wondering if it's really a 5304 cause i
thought it should go faster.

thanks

Check my sig.

(As a short answer, my simulator predicts a speed somewhere in the 26-32 mph range, depending on some variables like how fat you are and the internal resistance of the battery. A higher voltage should be used to increase the speed of the 5304.)

Why does your Ping only have 52v ? Mine is 57.4v after all the led lights blink. I had a 5304 with 48v12ah lead slead till it was stolen it would go 34mph for 9 miles only ! You should go at lease 30mph. Big Ping

999zip999 said:
Why does your Ping only have 52v ? Mine is 57.4v after all the led lights blink.

LiFePO4 cells have a high suface charge at the end of a charge cycle however that represents next to nothing in terms of capacity. Use the battery for say a little spurt down the block and all the surface charge will quickly be gone and the pack will be at around 52.8V resting.

-R

swbluto said:
(As a short answer, my simulator predicts a speed somewhere in the 26-32 mph range, depending on some variables like how fat you are and the internal resistance of the battery. A higher voltage should be used to increase the speed of the 5304.)

excellent software thanks!

It does seem one or two mph slow to me, my 5304 in 24" wheel was about that fast. What controller? Mabye amp limiting if it's 20 amps?

As cruising speed increases, it takes more amps, so mabye you just need a 30 amp controller to get that extra 2-3 mph.

But at 48v, a 5304 shouldn't be hitting 30 mph really. 28 mph or so. And other factors like tires, rider weight, panniers etc can slow you.

dogman said:
It does seem one or two mph slow to me, my 5304 in 24" wheel was about that fast. What controller? Mabye amp limiting if it's 20 amps?

As cruising speed increases, it takes more amps, so mabye you just need a 30 amp controller to get that extra 2-3 mph.

But at 48v, a 5304 shouldn't be hitting 30 mph really. 28 mph or so. And other factors like tires, rider weight, panniers etc can slow you.

No I have a Crystalyte 4840 Controller and yes I do limit at 50 Amps to protect the batteries. I weigh about 80 kg and the bike an other 50 kg, I can accelerate very quickly, when I reach top speed on flat ground it doesn't seem to need more than 30 Amps. How can I verify which motor model I got? maybe they sent e a 5305 or something.

Im not sure how to tell, from the outside. Inside the windings would be different, but I wouldn't know by looking.

Happen to have my 5304 apart at the moment, I'll snap a pic and have it up here by tomorrow. You could pull a cover an see if it looks similar. It's lots of wire in the windings, but I'll try to get a count of how many strands.

But really, I think you'd be a lot slower if it was a 5305. It's the old problem we have with the ladies too, expectations vs reality. Just overvolt to get more speed once you can afford to. The clyte can take it.

Looking at the ebikes ca simulator, you should be closer to 30 mph, and 30 ah of ping should supply 60 amps without severe voltage sag. Anything else that could cause a voltage drop? bullet connectors, skinny wire, that sort of thing?

It's tough getting to 30 mph and over on these hub motors. I can vouch for that.

* fast tires
* lots of volts

If you want some fast tires that are cheap, try the Kenda Kross Plus on Amazon.com, they are about $17 and man, they are fast. I added 3 mph on to my speed with those. That's cheaper than buying new batteries. If you are going from knobby-type tires to these, expect a speed boost.

If you have a 5304, that's also called a Phoenix Cruiser...check the graph here to see if it correlates with your experience
This is for a 150 lb rider. Looks like at 48 v, it should be able to top out at 30 mph. Get some faster tires and you'll probably reach that speed if you ride on a calm day with low wind. The wind can really make you slow down by as much as 5 mph or more.
chart_phoenix.gif

I finally got my 5303 up to 35 mph today but it took a pretty long time to get it up to that fast.

I ran a serfas drifter rear tire at 65psi. I weight 225lbs. a 20lb. backpack always but why ? and went 32mph. 48v 12ah lead batt. I would hope to be going 30mph with a 4840 controller. You have good quality connections ? Hobbycity has gold plated 4mm. cheap.

morph999 said:
I finally got my 5303 up to 35 mph today but it took a pretty long time to get it up to that fast.

What are you running Morph999, in terms of voltage and current? Thanks.

I hope to be running 72v@12Ah myself with A123, at around 50A , when I get done building it.

Uhh, if you are waiting for that pic of the windings of a 5304,,,, I forgot to take it yesterday and now the motor is assembled. I can take it back apart if I must.

The Mighty Volt said:
morph999 said:

What are you running Morph999, in terms of voltage and current? Thanks.

I hope to be running 72v@12Ah myself with A123, at around 50A , when I get done building it.

48v. 16 cells of lifepo4. With 72v of lithium, you should probably be able to hit 40 mph. I just wanted to see if I could get to 35 mph since that's what the claims were on this motor. I probably won't ever go that fast again. It's pretty fast. I had 60v of SLA on there a while back and got it up to 37 mph pretty easily. I'm sure it would have hit 40 mph. You might even hit 45 mph on 72v.

Back