Your Creation's Before & After Pics

As bad as that looks, I can only begin to imagine what *you* would have looked like after that wreck if you'd been on a regular bike, unenclosed.... :(

I'm actually very glad I was in the Go-One. Any other kind of bike might have cost me much more than the minor knee injury I suffered now. The bike actually took all the stress for me. My parents who didn't like the Go-One before, are all for it now (or almost...). I'm ordering a new one one of these days because I'm convinced there's no safer bike (and also because of all of the work I did electrifying the last one). The crashed bike will be repaired in time and I may sell it afterwards or else I'll give it to my son.

These are the latest additions to my stable.
I like these west coast chopper frames alot so I bought another. They are extremely strong and there's plenty of room for batteries, down low too.
They originally have 20" wheels, but I extended the rear dropouts with a couple of bits of 5mm plate and fitted a 24" motor (SannyKung 1000w GM/9C clone) at 48v.
Riding position was a little bit too far forward for my liking, so I fabricated a lay-back seatpost to put me where I wanted to be.
52T chainwheel and 16T freewheel slows the legs down enough to keep up comfortably.
Front Shimano Roller brake and rear drum brake. It handles great, really hugs the road turning at speed. :p
jjwccb4.jpeg
jjwccv2.jpg
My most recent build isn't fully finished yet, though it's fully functional. It's a Triple G Choppermeister.
Again with this bike I've fitted a 24"motor (GM 1000w) where there was a 20" wheel before.
It's also now got a home brew lay-back seatpost and 127mm cranks, mainly because the BB is too close and too-directly-below the seat for my liking.
Front Promax disc brakes and a rear drum brake stop quite well.
3g_beach.jpg

To start off - I'm a road cyclist. I'm one of those spandex guys on racing bikes (I'm a respectable amateur racer). Only a few of you on this forum have built ebikes that can beat me in a drag race 0-30 or up a short steep hill. 26w/kg peak, that is. I have a HELL of a damn good time ripping it on my road bike, powering myself around, bombing down hills, etc. :D

But, since I love biking so much, and hate driving, and for many other realistic reasons, I wanted a bike I could commute on. Something that could get me around with only a little assistance required by me on hard sections of road, to get me places without spending my legs - saving them for the real road riding.

Below are my before and after pics of my 2nd ebike build, a sweet looking and riding Giant ATX rigid mtn bike from the '90s. It's something I can fully pedal, and weighs a decent 61lbs. If my batteries ever run too low, I can pedal it home without swearing too much. To me, I just really like the traditional mtn bike look to it. It's just my style.

I see improvements to come, but it rides pretty good for now.

Attachments

• GIANT1.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 11,159
  • 1-29-10 073.jpg
    1-29-10 073.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 10,947
I've finally done something with the old huffy mtb that's been hanging from a roof truss in the shed for a couple of years. It's taken so long because I haven't been able to decide how to mount a battery pack to it, and I've been concentrating on the road going bikes. After taking it out for a bush bash and getting all muddy I wish I had done this earlier, I had the biggest ebike grin yet, and that was even before I got to the good stuff! Took me right back to my bmx racing days.
I know it looks a bit wierd, but that was the easiest way I could think of putting a battery box on it solidly. In the end though I'm pretty happy with it and the weight is evenly positioned with the battery sitting in the lower 2/3 of the box. The toolbox ($11 at Bunnings) contains a 48v10a headway pack and temporarily a 15 fet 35a controller running at 60a without its case, ie the fet mounting bar attached to front of toolbox using it as a heatsink, with a 72v 45a 12 fet Lyen edition on it's way to replace it programmed at 48v 70a. Hub motor is a sanny kung/GM higher-torque-version HBS48 1000w, it only maxes out at about 38kmh on 26" tyre but has plenty more grunt down at low rpm than their normally wound motors, which is ideal for how I will ride this bike. Spinning the rear wheel out of a muddy creek and doing donuts on a cheap ebike, who would'a thought? Rear shock is from my now returned-to-original and sold longtail, compression/rebound adjustable and new angle makes for a plush ride compared to before. The forks are absolute crap though and gotta go asap, deciding whether to weld on an 1 1/8 headtube or get some semi decent 1" screwtop forks. Seatpost is about 2" further back now.
Dirt-e-biking is now my favorite thing. A really great thing is the noiselessness, there's been a lot of complaints about ice dirtbikes in the areas I've been riding. No one even knew I was there.
huffyb4.jpghuffy3.jpghuffymtbchop1.JPGhuffymtbchop2.JPGhuffymtbchop3.JPG

update May 2010: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235&p=272247#p272247

oldhaq said:
I know it looks a bit wierd, but that was the easiest way I could think of putting a battery box on it solidly.

Sure as hell beats a roll of duct tape (often the preferred method of battery attachment by ES members :-S ) Top job
all up i would say, how about some video of you ripping it up on the trails!?! Not alot of trail action from the e-MTB
mob...

KiM

Cheers for the comments.
thewmatusmoloki said:
Hope it stays together. :wink:
It's had some tests off ~ 2ft jumps and landing whilst seated, no cracks, creaks or tings!
AussieJester said:
how about some video of you ripping it up on the trails!?! Not alot of trail action from the e-MTB
mob...
Be good to see some dirt-e bike videos on ES. I'll have to remember to take a camera along.

I thought I would put this build in this thread:
It is the design series of the I.C.E crusher LFP was going to pilot at the Death race in Tucson
I am definatly racing it 6-5-2010 in Carrothers OH. at a motored-bicycle race.
I will power it with 18s 3p (66 volts) & a 6500w turnigy & an e-crazyman controller sutibly modded to to release all the energy potential.

design objectives:
#1 superior cornering capability
#2 improved brakeing performance

I started with a 24" mnt. bike frame. I need to streach it a bit to get the riders center of mass more between the axels
P3280003.jpg

this photo is taken after I have cut all the rusted cables & parts off

it's ok to mod the frame as it has a "Life time" warranty :twisted:
P3280004.jpg

next we Jig it up & measure the caster angle. hmmnn kinda slack at 28 deg. I will steepen it to 26ish & see where the trail come out at.
P3280005.jpg

I chop the top tube so the frame will give a little, theres a come-along & a tommy bar to keep things straight heat the lower tube & crank to desired geometry.
P3310009.jpg

P3310012.jpg

Next we streach the rear triangle 4-1/2" to get the wheelbase out to 49"
P3310015.jpg

along side my first build for compairison.
P3310017.jpg

I still need to add some bracing & gussets.
& yes there is pedal clearance. I will put a tiny crank set in there to gain a little but this "bike" will only have pedals to make it a bike. I may put a detent to hold the pedals horizontal & add foot pegs back for head foward rider position.

Tire option atm looks like it will be Shinko 4 ply moped tires on 20" rims. I still have the option of 24" wheels if I want them.
I wanted to put a disc brake system off a CR125 but I have no room on the 20" skyways for caliper clearance. Need to look at some kart calipers & see if I can shoe horn something in (non issue in roundy round but on a road course braking is key)
I will modify this post over the spread of the build. adding & deleting photos as relavancy dictates.
I will consider any sugestions & welcome any comments.

HELL YES!!! Pleeeeease stick with 20in wheels Thud
it will look bad ass compared to 24in, MTBs with 20in
rims and 3in wide tires look the shit IMO. With the cranks, how about the
right crank vertical and the left at 45 degrees pointing forward Speedway
sliders have the long downward peg on the right and a lil motocross style peg
forward of the motor on the left for the feet up sideways business hehee...

You should do a full worklog in the non-frock motor section Thud so
you can leave all the pics rather than swapping them in and out!

I assume this will also get a Thud 2 speed dog box transmission? I WANT
I WANT I WANT hehe...

Best of luck anywayz buddy it will be a goer when your done the ICE crowd
wont see which way the Thudmiester goes when hes "absolutely sideways
on the high line where angels fear to tread" :mrgreen:

KiM

Hi all;

I've been a long-time lurker and finally transferred the photos from my phone to share with you all. Sorry for the links but when I posted them as images they came up huge.

The first e-bike I built was a simple 200watt hub drive with 2x7AH SLA batteries strapped to a rear carrier. I didn't keep photos of it before selling it to make this one:
http://imgur.com/DfRws.jpg

It's my daily-rider, a 400watt geared MY1018Z with a 36V 10A Goldenmotor LiFeP04 battery. I'm now working on an RC drive with a 22v LiPo 20AH battery that'll attach to the water bottle screws. The motor is running through the gearbox of a spare MY1018Z I had. It's still getting put together but should go pretty well :)
http://i.imgur.com/eSSom.jpg
http://imgur.com/xs9HZ.jpg
http://imgur.com/NOGqa.jpg

Thud, What amount of trail do you shoot for on an upright? I think I ended up at about 1 " on my te clone recumbent. Totally different animal of course. Mine was made with Murray and Huffy donors. Looks good !!

This is my "fun" bike at the moment. And as It is rather clean and I have been playing around with the speed controller out in the sunshine I thought I would post up a picture of it, Sorry about the quality of the photos.
fullright.JPG
full left.JPG
Its geared for around 25mph and I have pulled upto 5kw, It will climb anything you dare to point it at :D

update:
general layout.JPG

A bit more detail of drive system:
No peddals !.JPG
left drive.JPG
motor mount with halls.JPG
motor mount clamp.JPG
cheap jackshaft4.JPG
cheap sprocket adaptor.JPG
chain line.JPG

I posted before and after pics many pages back, my bike has now changed and is finished
so though I would update these pages also....

First the before shots again-->

Before_&_After.jpg

Finished shots-->

Custom_RC_Motered_Crusier_Finished_Pics.jpg

NB: No duct tape was harmed in the making of this bike (sorry DoctorBass :mrgreen: )