A2B Metro - www.ultramotor.com - Video Page4

YES That was my message posted for the one for $1999.oo. I thought I was trying to be helpful but i must have posted in the wrong place. "SORRY" :( :?

That shock did look like a cheap one to me. I was suprised to see it on the bike when the rest is pretty good quality. Unfortunately the short ones are a bit hard to replace with better ones, but maybe a longer shock could be fitted.

I found when using the cheapies, a lot of preload helps the pogo some. You still get movement on the big bumps, but less pogo on small stuff.

Ypedal said:
Going into the motor are 2 power wires, and a smaller 4pin connector.

This is where i'm going to install the CA meter tonight ! :wink:

So does that thing have a brushed motor? :?:

Hi Guys,
I have just ordered an A2B from Joe at Motostrano in San Francisco. I'm in Queensland, Australia so it should be a couple of weeks before it arrives. I feel the urge to mod coming on already so get ready for some photos of the upgrade.
If you can measure the length of the rear shock, eye to eye I can do some research on alternatives.

Neil

I just needed a 165 mm shock for my recently aquired specialized. Kinda short and hard to find nowdays, and the frame geometry would not accept a longer shock at all. I settled on a 2004 rock shocks bar 2 shock from chain reaction cycles in England. Suprisingly cheap to ship to me in the US, maybe because of exchange rates. But it works great on the bike, and cost a lot less than the usual rear shocks these days. I did have to buy a shock pump to go with it, my first air shock of any kind.

Sacman said:
Ypedal said:
Above is an old video, just to show the hill... the A2B is NOT in that video btw !

And the neighbor, lol, what can i say... never a dull moment ! :)
Yeah it was the old video... silly me!
So how steep is that hill? 3%? 4%?

I'm honestly not sure, i have a garmin summit GPS but have not yet taken the time to figure out how to determine grade with it..... :oops: ... On a normal bicycle i have to shift down into mid-range gears and stand on the pedals ( did this a few times last year pedaling home a new bicycle from the local bike shop to bring home and convert ) elderly mostly get off their bikes and walk up.. my norco sucks back 1200w at 35 km/h lol.. will quantify this with hard facts shortly ! :wink:

nfs said:
Hi Guys,
I have just ordered an A2B from Joe at Motostrano in San Francisco. I'm in Queensland, Australia so it should be a couple of weeks before it arrives. I feel the urge to mod coming on already so get ready for some photos of the upgrade.
If you can measure the length of the rear shock, eye to eye I can do some research on alternatives.

Neil

Awsome !! and welcome to ES btw!

I will measure the rear shock tonight and let you know !.. It could be extended a slight bit but too much will result in frame crunch.. hmmm... now that i think of it.. i may use the one from my Norco Chaos on the A2B... and upgrade the norco.....

Thanks for that. My A2B is being loaded on its ship at Long Beach today.

Looking again at that frame, I bet a 165 mm wouldn't be a problem, though it would change the geometry just a bit, raising the rear would change the fork angle just a tad. The Rock shocks shock I found at chain reaction cycles was very cheap, and is air adjustable, meaning if you ran it a bit on the low side, you'd have similar length to 150 mm once you sat on it, but with less travel. Possibly still the same travel as the stock one. It oughta work, and would give you rebound adjustment to cure the pogo.

On the other hand, on decent street, the stock shock is going to be fine, really. Just tighten up the preload and it will feel better than hardtail.

1st day officially commuting to work on ebike !!!

Over the weekend i've logged over 100 kms on the Metro, everything holding up nicely so far.

Man it feels good to get a blast of fresh air in the morning on the way to the office, vs sitting in a cab and paying 10$ a trip. awsome way to wake up !

Went to the local nature park on sunday, the bike works good but not meant for off-roading at this weight and with road tires, and at very low speed the controller really limits power and makes going up a steep hill at a slow speed difficult, still does perform well for a " 500w " ebike however !..

A few more hundred Kms and i'll be attempting 48v !!! :twisted:

Solder that shunt up. :)

Ypedal said:
1st day officially commuting to work on ebike !!!

Over the weekend i've logged over 100 kms on the Metro, everything holding up nicely so far.

Man it feels good to get a blast of fresh air in the morning on the way to the office, vs sitting in a cab and paying 10$ a trip. awsome way to wake up !

Went to the local nature park on sunday, the bike works good but not meant for off-roading at this weight and with road tires, and at very low speed the controller really limits power and makes going up a steep hill at a slow speed difficult, still does perform well for a " 500w " ebike however !..

A few more hundred Kms and i'll be attempting 48v !!! :twisted:

Thanks for that information, I'm really close to buying this bike but i need to know how much of a hill climber it is. A really steep, long, evil hill. Don't know exactly the grade but its close to the limit for normal cars, which have to use 1st gear to get up it.

Does anyone know the current limit?

My main problem with making my own bike battery mounting. I really like the battery mounting on the A2B so I was thinking about getting the extended range battery and putting a BMC 1000W in the back, and run it off the combined power of the 2 batteries.

The Stig said:
My main problem with making my own bike battery mounting. I really like the battery mounting on the A2B so I was thinking about getting the extended range battery and putting a BMC 1000W in the back, and run it off the combined power of the 2 batteries.

Not enough volts.

It's a 36v system (correct me if I'm wrong). The BMC will crawl.

You'd need to rewire the two batteries to be in series, not parallel (or switched sequencially).

Thanks for the review. I'm considering getting a second bike this year and Ultra Motors is on my list as one of the manufacturers of ready-made e-bikes that I would consider buying from. I'm hoping they release their new model, the Velociti, soon. I'd like to read some real world reviews. It's hub motor's specs are similar to the Metro rather than the A2B Hybrid (meaning more power). It will be slightly less expensive than the Hybrid too and about $500 less than the MSRP for the Metro. Here's a photo and the specs from the Ultra Motors blog.

Specs for the Velociti:

- Maximum road speed under power – 20 mph
- Up to 20 miles* unassisted range with rear-mount battery
- Battery chemistry: lithium ion
- Nominal voltage: 36 volts
- Continuous power output: 400W
- Real-time state-of-charge indicator
- Frame: TIG welded 6061 aluminum
- Suspension (front): Ultra Motor shock-absorbing front fork
- Tires: 26 x 2.0 Maxxis tires
- Gears: Shimano Alivio Derailleur with 7-speed twist shift
- Brakes (front and rear): Avid BB5 disc brakes
- Saddle: Ultra Motor comfort saddle
- Weight of A2B Velociti with battery: 66lbs
- MSRP $2199
- Colors - Red, blue, black, and white

velociti26bluesmall181100.jpg

That Velociti looks really nice !.. more typical bicycle like than the Metro.

These " 500w " bikes will get the average rider up most modest hills.. but for real killer steep mountains a guy just needs more power from a differently designed system to make it reliable.. if you run one of these and seriously bog it down on a hot day i'd worry about the controller inside that hub..

It doesn't look like it has a battery inside the frame, like the other one does.

i have a a2b- and thought i would add my 2 cents. i bought it on ebay- it was really beat up. but its no stepchild. i love the thing. anyhow i tried 48v 20 ah on the rear rack- foxx power lithium . it really made the a2b come alive. its in the scooter catagory with this setup. my "mans man" motorhead friends all ressist a test ride- but come back with their hair blown back, eyes watering and trying not to smile every time.

Took the metro to work this morning, wet roads and rain in the forecast. On my way home tonight i just missed a rain shower so nothing falling but the roads were soaked, so far, Top Marks +++ to the metro in wet weather.

I got home with my sneakers barely moist and dry socks !.. dry butt and no mud strip on my backpack either !!!.. those fenders work great ! Botom 12" of my pant legs were a bit dirty but nothing crazy like i'd get on a normal MTB..

The Avid brakes work awsome in the wet, no problems stopping, and the tires are fair.

so far , so good !

Ypedal said:
Took the metro to work this morning, wet roads and rain in the forecast. On my way home tonight i just missed a rain shower so nothing falling but the roads were soaked, so far, Top Marks +++ to the metro in wet weather.

I got home with my sneakers barely moist and dry socks !.. dry butt and no mud strip on my backpack either !!!.. those fenders work great ! Botom 12" of my pant legs were a bit dirty but nothing crazy like i'd get on a normal MTB..

The Avid brakes work awsome in the wet, no problems stopping, and the tires are fair.

so far , so good !
I've read many ypadal threads on these fourms in the past. Cool to see you picked up a metro.
I picked up a silver metro myself from a local dealer @ http://www.elvmotors.com few weeks ago after researching for months. He gave me a good deal and threw in a few extras, I've been really pleased with the ebike thusfar. My daily ride is about 6 miles each way. While the bike claims to be able to do 20mph @ 20 mile range. I'm somewhat sceptical about that. Ordering an extra battery pack in about 20 mins. A 48V upgrade would be nice... Ride on

Back