Your Creation's Before & After Pics

My Schwinn Coffee Before
21SchwinnCoffeeMens.jpg

And after the BL36 kit with ping 36v 15Ah battery. (my stealth install)
ebike3.jpg

Thanks to all the dedicated ES group for the help and advice on my build. Especially to Gary G, Mike Keefer, Methods and all the other wonderful folks whose great threads, explanations, and responses to my noob questions helped immeasurably.

The bike is an old Iron Horse Maverick 4.0 full suspension with front rear disks. I selected it because it was so cheap on Craigslist and had the big empty triangle for the battery box. I bought Justin's 9C kit with the 35 amp Infineon controller. There's 48V 15ah using 12s3p of 25C Turnigy Lipos. The whole rig is good for 26mph on the flats, but hill climbing is not too impressive. I'm getting about 18 miles on a charge without peddling and some hills.

I copied patrickza's ABS box and added some design mods for the lipos and Czonka relay. Using the Turnigy Lipos was an easy decision since Gary's LVC boards made the hookup so easy. Each one is braced/cradled in an ABS frame so there's no shifting around. It's held together by 4 cabinet bolts with T-nuts. It took a good 30+ hrs to build the thing, and I still have additional "features" that need to be added on. You can see it's growing warts and pimples with all the after-thoughts. The box is nice and narrow, and the handling is great. I can't say it improved the looks of the bike tho, nor is it very stealthy.

I use a 48V 27amp server power supply to charge it using a Cellog8 with a relay to cut it off at HVC of 4.15v per cell -- takes about 20 min. I put them on an iCharger 106B+ for balancing once a week.

Next is a modded controller to go to 72v and beyond...

-Bruce

Attachments

• IMG_1675.JPG.800.jpg
    IMG_1675.JPG.800.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 8,220
  • IMG_1682.JPG.800.jpg
    IMG_1682.JPG.800.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 8,220
Bruce,

It looks REALLY good!

One question... where did you source the ABS... I used to have a local car stereo shop who stocked it but they went out of business and even when they were around they never had sheets as large as the stuff your using... I have been looking for a supply for months (literally).

Really... great build, very organized and clean!

-Mike

@mwkeefer:
Here in Phoenix, there is a place called Laird Plastics I used to go down to and buy mostly from the scrap bin. Nice people, at least several years ago last time I was there. Whenever I asked about something I didn't see in the bin, if they didn't have it at all they'd offer to order some for me (I never did that, though, as I couldn't use a whole sheet or roll at a time). When I was building this:
TNGtrans.jpg
and this (the one on the left):
Tricorders.jpg
and some other little props to go with it, one person was interested enough to give me some little "keyrings" of old samples of various fluorescent plexiglas colors, to use for data crystals and whatnot. :) I don't have pics of those, though. :(

THey have two locations in PA, too:
http://pittsburgh.lairdplastics.com/index.php?option=content&task=section&id=20&Itemid=67&MCU=52
http://philadelphia.lairdplastics.com/index.php?option=content&task=section&id=20&Itemid=67&MCU=5

If you don't mind ordering online, there's a number of places.

This place:
http://www.professionalplastics.com/ABSSHEETFORMINGGRADE
is where a guy that consulted me on vacuforming some small project boxes got his. (don't know how it worked out, though; never heard back from him). What he showed me looked pretty good; flexible, didn't smell funny or craze when heated with a hair dryer up close, etc.
They also have a clearance section:
http://www.professionalplastics.com/PlasticShapesExcessInventory

They show up at the top of a google search, too:
http://www.google.com/search?q=ABS+sheeting
which is probably why he bought from there, if they also did a year or two ago.

The google shopping search turns up some stuff, too:
http://www.google.com/products?q=ABS+sheeting

Ingredients:
  • Marin Downhill donor bike, Full Suspension, 26" wheels
  • Crystalyte 5305 (rear)
  • 72v40A Crystalyte 4110 controller
  • (2) 36v20Ah Headway LiFePO4 packs w/ BMS for a total of 72v20Ah
  • Cycle Analyst
  • Old Man Mountain Cold Springs Front Rack (50lbs Load Capacity)
  • Axiom Seymour Panniers
  • Two 3A LiFeP04 chargers

Results:

• Top speed:
    • 36mph, no wind, flat
    • 45.6mph slight downhill
  • Range: Depends on terrain...
    • 20 miles including 2000-3000 ft of climbing
    • 16 miles, aggressive, WOT up mountain roads
    • Or up to 50 miles (so far) by riding efficiently
    • 40 miles while towing my son in a double trailer.
  • Milestones: Rode 200 miles in the first week
  • Total Cost: About $1800 (not including bike)
  • Any other stats worth mentioning?

Before:
marin_bike.jpg

After:
marin-08.jpg

More Photos

Before and after.. props to zoot for helping me figure out what ashtabula means.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 7,818
Here are pics of the converted GT. I now plan to get a Cycle Analyst so I can get rid of the wattmeter and long wires. I rode it today and I’m really happy with the results. The right shifter has been moved to the left side. The left shifter has been removed. Shifting is smoother than my old bike. The cheap front shock works fine for street use. The braking is better as well on this bike. The geometry feels better. I can’t wait to take it out on the trails and bash on it. I did have to cut part of the rear fender to get the controller to fit. I also had to redo the controller mounts so it’s lower in profile. There is less space in the back with this bike and I wanted the controller like it was with the old setup. Only took me two days to move the ebike parts from my old bike to the new one.

first bike was with 5 SLA (12V, 12AH) - 60V 12Ah, GM 1000W 26" wheel, shunted with 5cm of 12AWG
P3180294.jpg
View attachment 2

Second 20S5P A123 66V 11Ah, GM 1000W, 24" wheel, Fechter's BMS 20S, shunted with 5cm of 12AWG
DSC00178.jpg
P40800541.jpg

and a little video at home :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBEB8xHyLAw

I started out with sla's a few years ago, everyone sledges them, but they still get the job done.
Yours are/were mounted in the most premium position on the bike Karolis. Well done.

Finally, after 3 attempts, i now have a digital camera....
So here's some pics, in chronological order of builds.

I always thought that if one was going to make an electric bike, it should not look like those ugly, pus box, p.o.s, electric scooters that the cops in Oz have recently talen an interest in.
So mine are on chopper bicycle frames, for cruising "the strip" here on the gold coast with maximum show off value...

#1from 2007
1st.JPG

second and third builds with lifopo4 batts
2nd & 3rd.jpg

my main machine
4th.jpg

And the latest , finished only a couple of weeks ago....
Featuring a mirror stainless steel battery box for the headway.

5th.jpg

Also there is one of mine at the golden motor bike show off page and on brett whites GL2 page .

Thanks for looking.
All the best
Matthew.

Love that mirror finish ss battery box Matt.
Following on from a few pages back http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235&start=450#p252774, after putting some better forks on and 26x2.35 Intense knobby tyres the ride has improved a lot, I've actually got some grip now, heaps more.
After a heavy landing the frame downtube bent very slightly at the shock pivot point so I welded in a strengthening brace around the shock to stop it bending any more. Strange as it may sound, I don't mind the bend as it has adjusted the bike geometry for a better handling feel, as the change of shock angle during the initial mod made the bike sit up slightly higher than before, it's back now back closer to normal. I had planned to brace it earlier but never got around to it, glad now I didn't do it then.
Last week I wot at very low rpm up about a 40 deg hill and the blue side fets shorted to + in the 12x irf4310 Lyen controller. Replaced them with the P140NF75 fets that I've been waiting to try out, been hammering it and they seem to be doing the job well, and heat is about the same at 3000w, even went up the same hill slowly as a test. I would expect them to handle it considering I've ran these type in a 6 fet controller at 4500 watt peaks. Thinking about a little extra shunt now...so I can tackle the 60 deg hillsclimbs!
I've also programmed the controller speed control to 120%, top speed increased from 39 to 46kmh. It's good getting something for nothing.huffymtb-muddy.jpg

btw, please don't get the impression that I am bagging Mr Lyen's controller, It was all my own doing :twisted: . I had the Amp settings ramped up to maximum and testing the throttle settings at 125 and 135%, and it's just a fet that blew anyway. It's all running sweetly again now. I appreciate his endeavors in supplying fantastic equipment at very reasonable prices with service to match.

Yeah, no worries Eddie.
I live less than a kilometre inland from that view, and yes that is sea world in the background.

Always keen to catch up with other ebikers.
Send me a pm when your coming down.
Cheers
Matt.

DSCN1544.JPG
DSCN1601.JPG
DSCN1660.JPG
DSCN1647.JPG
DSCN1655.JPG

Okay my second bike is relatively complete now so here are the before and after pics.

Before: My old ebike that I grabbed most of tha parts off, and my new dual suspension Giant AC frame
file.php
file.php

After:
file.php

file.php

8) Hey that's the coolest fabric covering I have seen to date. Looks very professional.

Wow, good job Adrian! I second the comment on your great looking fabric battery cover!

I don't know what there is about making a smooth rounded cover versus a hard plastic, but it just looks more like it belongs to me. 8)

What kind of material is it? It looks to by stretchy lycra type stuff attached with velcro?

After seeing that I might have to re-think my plastic battery cover idea! :shock: :D

Also, what type/size battery pack is that?

Thanks. I was originally planning on a hard enclosure like e-cannon, but I like the look of the soft one I ended up with. I am still going to put some bash plates underneath to protect the cells. I ride it in the rain no problems. The main down side is that it doesn't provide any security from people tampering with the electronics. Not really an issue for me, as 99% of my rides are too and from work, and secure parking.

Most of the details are on my build log. But I made the cover from a water proof vest
R7JKVN8SS_small.jpg

The battery is a 48V10Ah Headway pack.

- Adrian

Thought I post it since it won't be looking much different for a while. I didn't have a before pic but here is the manufacture picture of the bike. The build thread http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12654View attachment 2
Left side 1024.jpg"]0[/ATTACH]View attachment 1

Attachments

• Left side 1024.jpg
    Left side 1024.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 5,986
Back