Wot's in yer Blender?

Kingfish

100 MW
Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Mil
After hanging up the truck (literally) and riding for more than a year, my diet had changed significantly. I think I weigh about the same, it’s just that the tire around the waist has been transformed into muscle around the thighs. The brain might be smaller; I feel the draft… no accounting on that :roll:

One of my discoveries in nutrition is young Green Coconut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut

I had been working my way up to about 50 miles per long ride (not commuting) and found myself quite fatigued for several days afterwards. A produce guy working at a high-end grocer suggested I try green coconut. Normal coconut has a hard brown shell (endocarp); when you break it open it has clear sweet liquid inside and the meat (endosperm) is very firm if not hard.

Young green coconut though still has the husk (exocarp/mesocarp) attached; it may be green on the outside, or shaved to reduce weight – but you won’t see the endocarp as it’s buried. This separates after maturation. When green, the liquid may be clear to milky, and the meat will be fleshy to pudding-like. This is the best form for the body to uptake.

I buy mine from Safeway; they are a little more mature than I would like but the price is right. Take a good sharp serrated carving knife or saw if you prefer and whittle back the top-third of the mesocarp, exposing the endocarp. Place the seed on the floor and with a sharp pointy punch, drive three holes into the top. Invert into the blender to drain. Then I like to use a sharp 1-inch wide wood chisel and with about five good whacks around the perimeter, the top can be removed.

I use a spoon to scoop out the pudding-like flesh, being careful not to have any endocarp attached; small residue doesn’t hurt. Put it all in the blender. Add your favorite fruit, eggs, yoghurt, whey, whatever and give it a blend. A full dose takes me about two days to consume as a supplement.

Blender_before.jpg

Typical recipe:
  • 1 Green Coconut
    1 very ripe banana
    1 small package (6 – 8 ounces) of fresh berries: Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries…
    4 – 6 fresh eggs
    Honey to sweeten (use a little at first)
    Blend on slow speed until adequately mixed. Pour yourself a pint and enjoy! Put remainder in the fridge; it should keep for a couple of days. Re-blend as needed.

Blender_after.jpg

This recipe had anti-oxidant power of blueberries...

Extras:
  • Yoghurt (I prefer unflavored)
    Whole or raw milk
    Whey Protein
    Molasses (for minerals)
    Salt.

I feel tremendous vigor after consuming this: a pint before and after a strenuous ride.
So - wot's in yours? :)

ewwwwwwwww, especially all the raw eggs.

I like this much better:

1 cup Astro Biobest Yogurt
6 Frozen Strawberries
1/2 to 1 Banana
1/4cup water

Raw eggs are a bit of a risk, due to the high incidence of salmonella. I use soy protein or cooked eggs.

(You can be your own worst enemy if you wear coveralls. )

+1 on the green coconut tip. Will be trying, maybe with a couple shots of Bacardi!

-1 on the raw eggs, eww is right. Gotta be a better way...

best smoothie ever.....

1 ripe banana organic
6 large frozen strawberries picked from organic local upick couple handfulls small ones <--ill have to weight this
2 tablespoons homemade fresh yougurt
1 tablespoon white sugar (honey?)
1 tray of ice , carbon filtered lake water or mineral water of your choice.

Blend,

I MEAN IT ITS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

mike

I was expecting a " Will It blend ? " youtube video ! lol...

Since getting sick as all hell a few months ago( posted about it in the cesspool ) i have been eating a banana in the morning, and a yogurt per day, helps with regularity and along with active pedaling on the A2B i've lost 5 lbs in the last month.. The healthier you eat, the better you feel.. someone should point Morph to this thread..

Living in the Pecan capital of the US, I have gotten big on nuts in the diet. I get cravings for all kinds of stuff, eat it, and still have the craving. Eat a large helping of Almonds, pecans, or cashews and the craving vanishes. Of course if you crave coconut, Twikies are full of palm oil. Not a coincidence that they were popular in the peloton in the days of old.

Blender? I pull it off the palm tree, drill a hole with a 1/2" wood bit (an old cheap drill is permanently set up for this), stick a straw in and drink the "coconut water" as it's call down here. Then I split it open with a machete and eat the "jelly" with a spoon. Delicious and really good for you too.

Thanks for reminding me to go grab one right now.

John

I was wondering,...will a shot of Skyy vodka hurt the nutritional value of ther green coconut mix? (briefly considers changing user-name to spinning-rooms)

Perhaps get a used $5 blender from a charity thrift shop and....you could call it a 1kW blender (one kid-Watt)

girls-on-bike.jpg

Back