New 10S Zippy packs from HobbyCity

andreym

100 W
F4500-10-30.jpg

Have you seen this?
What do you think?
It seems nice price for that pack.
10S will give about 37v most of time and 41.5 hot of right e-biker charger )
could be just paralleled for required capacity.
Or 20S for really crazy guys.

Gary, is it possible to make 10s HVC/LVC boards? or it could be easier to use 2 of 5S boards with correct connectors?

ps. just noticed - it has 2 balance leads connectors, so i assume they are 5S each - much easier to use battery medic (boosted) to balance them.

So cool that they are making larger packs. And that one pack has as much range as my 21 lbs. of lead and only 40 dollars more. I think it is just about time to upgrade. :mrgreen:

I have just calculated Wh/dollar and it seems nothing can beat These
but 10S is really convinient!
and i hope someday they will start to offer 12-16S packs.
BTW why they does not sell packs for e-bikes?
I think those first 100 8S packs was sold mostly to e-bikers :D
I ordered myself 4+6+6 = 16packs for me and 2 of my friends who want crazy 100v bikes (Thanks to Lyen`s Controllers!)

I want a single 48 v pack for simplicity. Maybe 2 of the 6s in series would work good. Not sure if I can just hook them in series without a problem. I've read some of the Turnigy lipo thread but not enough to really have it figured out. I am a little scared that I might hook something up wrong and BOOM :oops: Maybe Mike will compile that in a book too. :mrgreen:

2 6s in series would get you close to 48v. No problem except the usual one of having to make up plug systems for breaking them apart to charge 6s since 12s chargers aren't common. To get a 10 ah pack, you'd paralell connect two 6s packs to make a 10 ah 6s block, and then series connect those two to get bike voltage.

They need to make ebike packs, but the 10s packs are a start, providing a one pack 36v 4.5 ah battery. There is a 10s charger to go with it.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6609&Product_Name=iCharger_1010B+_300W_10s_Balance/Charger

Good charger I suppose, but ouch! $190

dogman said:
2 6s in series would get you close to 48v. No problem except the usual one of having to make up plug systems for breaking them apart to charge 6s since 12s chargers aren't common. To get a 10 ah pack, you'd paralell connect two 6s packs to make a 10 ah 6s block, and then series connect those two to get bike voltage.

They need to make ebike packs, but the 10s packs are a start, providing a one pack 36v 4.5 ah battery. There is a 10s charger to go with it.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6609&Product_Name=iCharger_1010B+_300W_10s_Balance/Charger

Good charger I suppose, but ouch! $190
it`s actually 159 for platinum members ) or you may also get it here for the same price but with free shipping of you are in US
still quite expensive but should be good for 10S accurate balancing
or you can get cheap meanwell supply and 2of Gary`s 5s boards to get complete hvc/lvc control on them.

Just wanted other noobs to know the cheaper 6s chargers won't charge it. At first, I thought they hooked to the balance leads to charge, so I nearly bought some 10s packs thinking you could just charge half the pack at a time.

Yeah I was eyeing those pack too. Since i'm a newbie and tab bit unsure about wiring up a serial connected pack to raise the voltage to 48v. I have a few questions though.

1. I was planning on getting the Mini motor from Conhis, Golden or just the Cute motor @ 350 watt. Is there a big different with 48v and 36v when using a 350 watt motor? I know the motor spins faster with a higher voltage but, is it worth me getting 48v and having to wire up a big 48v pack.

2. If I get 2 of these 10s 4500mah pack and wire them parallel to 9000mah. Would that be enough to run a 36v 350 watt fairly flat terrain about 10 miles? Would this battery be to strong for the motor? etc...

I think I know the answers but, just wanted to confirm.

Also, It seems to be better for a newbie with lipos to just use these packs since I don't have to wire it up serial and parallel. That should make charging the batteries a little easier. Just want to confirm.Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the motor and 48v. For starters, you'd need the controller to be able to do 48v. Most can on the bigger direct drive motors, but smalller 350 watt controllers may not have 63v caps in them.

BTW, these 10s packs are 36v nominal voltage. So the normal controllers would be fine, and the discharge capacity won't matter to the motor or controller. It won't put more amps through the motor than the controller allows. For 48v you'd need 14 or 15 s to have about 56-60v hot off the charger.

My rule of thumb for 36v bikes that go 25 mph is 1 ah per mile range. This rule means your 9 ah pack would go 9 miles, and still have about 15-20 % left in reserve. At 20 mph, you'd have plenty of range if the bike is not able to go 25 mph on 36v.

This would make a good setup for a 36v bike. You could run most motor kits easily on one pack, and then add packs later as range is needed. Since they would be paralelled, a 10s charger could still charge them all together, paralelled. You'd paralell connect the main wires, and paralell connect the balance taps, and then just connect them to the charger. Above 10s, then it would get more complicated.

They should run an evg, but it will be even slower than usual. Fully charged, sla's would be about 27v so more than 3v short.

But you could series a 10s pack and a 1 s pack and be just right, or a 5s and a 6s. Even better, go to 12s, chances are the controller can go to at least 30v with no problems. Then you'd have a 15 mph bike instead of an 11 mph bike.

But really, cheap lifepo4 like a ping would run that evg great. So just get a much simpler and eaiser to charge 24v 15 ah ping, and have huge range.

Anybody know if there is a small 5s charger that could charge these through the balance leads? If I understand correctly to charge through the power wires you have to have a 10s capable charger but it has two 5s balance leads.

maydaverave said:
Anybody know if there is a small 5s charger that could charge these through the balance leads? If I understand correctly to charge through the power wires you have to have a 10s capable charger but it has two 5s balance leads.

I am also curious as to if this will work???

Not that It will suit everyone, but I wonder if you could charge a 5s pack through balance leads and charge plugs, and charge the 10s through some parallel balancing leads at the same time?
Of course balance leads wont take more than 5amp, recommended less, around 2 or 3ish.... But maybe this is an easy way to slow charge for those after 15s setups?

Not really willing to risk 100usd to check though... lol

icekreme1002 said:
maydaverave said:

I am also curious as to if this will work???

Not that It will suit everyone, but I wonder if you could charge a 5s pack through balance leads and charge plugs, and charge the 10s through some parallel balancing leads at the same time?
Of course balance leads wont take more than 5amp, recommended less, around 2 or 3ish.... But maybe this is an easy way to slow charge for those after 15s setups?

Not really willing to risk 100usd to check though... lol
I was thinking about something like this http://hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8247&Product_Name=Turnigy_2S_3S_Balance_Charger._Direct_110/240v_Input

only 5s capable. Two per battery. It would be a cheap easy lipo option for us noobs lol.

Not sure if you will be able to do 2 chargers per battery though? You may end up with a different balance between both lots of 5 cells.
If it is possible probably better to use one charger so you get a better and easier balance.
I'm thinking something like this...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11060

Have you seen these?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10993&Product_Name=Twin_pack_charge_lead_%282_x_3S%296S_w/_XT60

Maybe something like that but set for 5s-5s would do the trick? It seems that has the main power cord and 1 balance spit into 2.
But as you can see it plugs 2 3s packs into a 6s balance. Not sure how to build it 2 lots of 5s to one 5s with the main plug in there but that makes me think it is possible.

More info on parallel charging here....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=932319

You CANNOT PARALLEL CHARGE a 10S Zippy Pack!

They have 2 5S balance taps yes but hook them together in parallel and BOOOM, fizzle bye bye balance taps!

You could use (in theory) 2 chargers set to 5S each and hooked in series but you would also need 2 power supplies for them...

The easiest answer by far is get a 36-48v meanwell S-350 (so a -36 or -48)... tune it all the way down (should get around 41.5 on a 48v) for a 48v or up for a 36... Target voltage is 41.5v flat... 41 is ok, 42 is ok, 42.x is not ok!

Connect that supply to a paralleled (9AH) 10S pack and let er rip, for extra measure 2 battery medics (one for each 5S in series) will balance them independently and show you if any of them creep too high.

Total cost to charge:
1 x meanwell S-350-48 @ 31 + 15.00 s&h = $36.00 / 48 for EMS
2 x Any 6S balancer like the Battery Medics @ 25.00 ea = 50.00
Total: 86.00 for a 12-15A charge rate (the Zippy can handle up to 2C according to the website but I've charged them at 4C many, many times)..

Regards,
Mike

mwkeefer said:
You CANNOT PARALLEL CHARGE a 10S Zippy Pack!

They have 2 5S balance taps yes but hook them together in parallel and BOOOM, fizzle bye bye balance taps!

You could use (in theory) 2 chargers set to 5S each and hooked in series but you would also need 2 power supplies for them...

The easiest answer by far is get a 36-48v meanwell S-350 (so a -36 or -48)... tune it all the way down (should get around 41.5 on a 48v) for a 48v or up for a 36... Target voltage is 41.5v flat... 41 is ok, 42 is ok, 42.x is not ok!

Connect that supply to a paralleled (9AH) 10S pack and let er rip, for extra measure 2 battery medics (one for each 5S in series) will balance them independently and show you if any of them creep too high.

Total cost to charge:
1 x meanwell S-350-48 @ 31 + 15.00 s&h = $36.00 / 48 for EMS
2 x Any 6S balancer like the Battery Medics @ 25.00 ea = 50.00
Total: 86.00 for a 12-15A charge rate (the Zippy can handle up to 2C according to the website but I've charged them at 4C many, many times)..

Regards,
Mike
the 3s balance tap charger I linked to is 11.95 and it plugs directly into an outlet with no need for a power supply. even if a 5s version was a bit more you would be looking at about $130.00 for a battery and chargers. Double that and you would have 37v 10ah for $260.00. A great budget setup or spare pack. Only problem is no 5s balance tap charger that I know of :( .

Let's say I connected four of those long bricks in a 2s2p configuration.
Can I put them on a 84v 12a charger and forget about fidgeting with connectors?

If you don't want them to be balanced while you are charging, sure.

Back