Now This Really Sucks

If it's 'BP' news you're after, this should keep the casual reader busy ....

Simply plug "BP" into Google, then click-on "News" at the LH side of the page. Or just click on this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=bp&hl=en&client=opera&hs=06p&rls=en&prmd=nlm&source=lnms&tbs=nws:1&ei=8e4OTLbCO6aANaf6vMcB&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&ved=0CAsQ_AU

dnmun said:
i have never watched the video feed, just seen a few pictures on the news. too bad they don't have people talking about the heroic efforts of the assistant driller to throw the gas bag over the riser when they realized it was blowing out.

even more poignant for me was the evidence of the black assistant driller, don clark i think as his name. he was off duty in his room.

when everybody turned and ran from the drill deck when the first of the motors over reved and blew up, he jumped onto the stairs up to the drill deck where his redneck southern mississippi neighbor (the other assistant driller) was, along with the entire casing crew. clark was killed along with them in the second explosion that made the 300' tall fireball. whatta man.
I just watched some of the memorial services on TV for the 11 crew members who lost their lives in the BP rig.
My heart goes out to their families, especially the crewman who's wife just had a baby.
dnmum: Could you please explain why you call one of the dead crewman a "redneck southern mississippi neighbor". ?

because he was a redneck, and they both lived in southern mississippi and both had small farms too which i assume they supported by working offshore.

since you are a yankee, you would not know of how much resistance there was in the past, not too distant, on all rigs, not just offshore to having black men as crew on the rig. fact. i think this goes a long way beyond just combat experience that shows shame to the traditional disparagement of black men to make good decisions in times of high stress.

in honor, i will say this for my redneck brother who tried to bag the blowout so they could contain the fire to the top of the flare stack as the well blew out. as i understand it, he actually had totally encircled the riser with the bag before the explosion happened.

1 man, one man came as close as anyone could to have averted the very disaster that nobody can stop talking about, but they still don't know his name.

dnmun said:
because he was a redneck,
since you are a yankee, you would not know of how much resistance there was in the past, not too distant, on all rigs, not just offshore to having black men as crew on the rig. fact. i think this goes a long way beyond just combat experience that shows shame to the traditional disparagement of black men to make good decisions in times of high stress.
dnmun: you make a lot of wrong assumptions.
WTF are you trying to prove with this BP tragedy?

How do you know that dead crewman was a "redneck"?
I just do not think it appropriate that you throw your personal comments and false assumptions onto crewmen who lost their lives in this BP tragedy.

FeralDog,

Sorry but everyone white and north of I-10 is by default either a yankee or a redneck. Screw political correctness, dnmun didn't mean anything derogatory, just like if he called me a coonass.

i looked at his picture and i could see he had a red neck. nothing derogatory in it at all. i was born an hours drive from where they lived, i guess i know what they look like.

i never pretended to know more than i said, i just tried to explain to people here how a well is built. from what i learned a decade ago when i used to read up on it. this guy vidrine may have acted in a way that was unusual within BP, but it is now obvious that the well was poorly designed, improperly cased, and wrong cement used, and the mud pumped off when the well was still having kicks and out of control in reality, all at the demands of this one BP engineer and everybody else who works in this business should not have had to lose their jobs drilling in the gulf because of his behavior.

as an aside and derivative to this but for the interests of those who follow industrial accidents. the response of building the initial large containment vessel was part of a plan that had been previously submitted as one of the tools which would be used in the event of a BOP failure. as it turns out it was all vaporware, nobody had ever tested the idea or built one even, and it was just something that management grabbed as the first thing to do to meet the crisis. so they just used the drawing from the report to build the first one, making sure they spent 4 days extra so the paint job was perfect for the tv cameras.

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 1
[youtube]52TiZJj_XYM[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 2
[youtube]WPrM9EQm1qc[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 3
[youtube]XKrFAmf7drA[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 4
[youtube]5Wi_PT7dsA4[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 5
[youtube]b7Whw3b9Q8Q[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 6
[youtube]6I1dqxu4lVo[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 7
[youtube]EdJV7V5rbms[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 8
[youtube]8jRXFZ3_7VQ[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 9
[youtube]1rEM_00xzpE[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 10
[youtube]UCE3fMUilXA[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 11
[youtube]HpZCkgPyYOw[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 12
[youtube]5IDRGAKiqU0[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 13
[youtube]UtIuoYTcHVY[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 14
[youtube]fa-Zc23sdWY[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 15
[youtube]bm2rfMRU9jo[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 16
[youtube]XJCN_XrMg3c[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 17
[youtube]NxrlWWjxCSA[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 18
[youtube]Jtf4KYVCleU[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 19
[youtube]flzGayvbzx0[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 20
[youtube]pDzLBnexM4w[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 21
[youtube]3H2T4cscygM[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 22
[youtube]ttMSpP_WS18[/youtube]

BP Oil Spill - Tony Hayward's Testimony Part 23
[youtube]vnv4qOk-kko[/youtube]

Have you all seen this worst case scenario. Terrifying doesn't quite do it justice.

http://www.helium.com/items/1864136-how-the-ultimate-bp-gulf-disaster-could-kill-millions

A new article out June 18 might inadvertently add some weight to Richard Hoagland's claim/theory/rumor of a methane bubble under the sea waiting to explode on some Armageddon-type level.

Hoagland warns of Gas Bubble and Tsunami of Biblical Proportions.

According to oceanographer John Kessler the methane levels in the oil coming from the sea floor now are at 40% compared to the normal 5% found in typical oil deposits.

The full article , which doesn't talk about what Hoagland does but discusses another potential doom scenario ...

Associated Press Writers - NEW ORLEANS (AP) –
It is an overlooked danger in oil spill crisis: The crude gushing from the well contains vast amounts of natural gas that could pose a serious threat to the Gulf of Mexico's fragile ecosystem.

The oil emanating from the seafloor contains about 40 percent methane, compared with about 5 percent found in typical oil deposits, said John Kessler, a Texas A&M University oceanographer who is studying the impact of methane from the spill.

That means huge quantities of methane have entered the Gulf, scientists say, potentially suffocating marine life and creating "dead zones" where oxygen is so depleted that nothing lives.

"This is the most vigorous methane eruption in modern human history," Kessler said.

More here ... http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gIXWYBTpLtSayJtg41LKXpxSxVPAD9GDJBO84

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill#Spill_flow_rate

tsunami_land5.jpg

http://articlesofinterest-kelley.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-ultimate-bp-gulf-disaster-could.html

The Dwarves dug too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dum... shadow and flame.

— Saruman, The Lord of the Rings

The Well from Hell

EVen if this thing doesn't blowd up real good... the air pollution counts are already at cancerous levels around Florida and Alabama. Recent EPA testing:
0898442f9c33.jpg

http://www.examiner.com/x-33986-Pol...-rain-from-poisonous-BP-oil-spill-dispersants

When you pour more than a million gallons of toxic chemical dispersants on top of an oil spill, it doesn’t just disappear. In this case, it moves to the atmosphere, where it will travel hundreds, if not thousands of miles from the site of the BP oil spill, in the form of toxic rain.

BP’s oil spill-fighting dispersant of choice is Corexit 9500. It has been banned in Europe for good reason. Corexit 9500 is one of the most environmentally enduring, toxic chemical dispersants ever created to battle an oil spill. Add to that the millions of gallons of oil that have been burned, releasing even more toxins into the atmosphere, and you have a recipe for something much worse than acid rain.

Oil in the environment is toxic at 11 PPM (parts per million). Corexit 9500 is toxic at only 2.61 PPM. But Corexit 9500 has another precarious characteristic; it’s reaction to warm water.

As the water in the Gulf of Mexico heats up, Corexit 9500 goes through a molecular transition. It changes from a liquid to a gas, which is readily absorbed by clouds and released as toxic rain. The chemical-laden rain then falls on crops, reservoirs, animals and of course, people.

What makes ‘Corexit rain’ so frightening are the carcinogens it will leave behind on everything is touches. Acid rain will be considered genial after it is inevitably replaced by the far more virulent ‘Corexit rain.’

It is futile to believe that we can keep ‘Corexit rain’ from occurring - it has already been released and the molecular transformation has begun. We have set off an unprecedented chain of events in nature that we cannot control.

By releasing Pandora’s well from the depths and allowing it bleed into the sea at a rate of 2.5 million gallons of oil a day, the unimaginable becomes material.

Yet unlike a bad dream, we will not wake up from this nightmare and find it gone. The BP Gulf of Mexico oil spill will be touching millions of earth’s life forms for uncountable years.

Interesting Math …

When engineers report quantities of a gas like methane they are generally referring to Standard Temperature and Pressure (STP), which is room temperature and 1 atmospheric pressure. Engineers can convert the STP gas value to another gas value at a different temperature and pressure. The mass of the gas (of course) stays constant but the volume the gas occupies changes with temperature and pressure.

“A BP spokesman said the company was burning about 30 million cubic feet of natural gas daily from the source of the leak … “

Gulf Oil Full Of Methane

30 million cubic feet methane = 224,415,584 gallons = 5,343,228 barrels at STP

The static pressure of seawater at 5000 feet deep is about 150 atmospheres.

5,343,228 barrels at STP / 150 = 35,621 barrels methane gas at the sea floor.
(The change in volume due to temperature is ignored, as I don’t know the temperature.)

Therefore BP admits AT LEAST 35,600 barrels of methane gas is pouring out of the BOP at the sea floor. This is just the amount they are burning at the surface (30 million cubic feet). This DOES NOT include the methane that is venting to the ocean NOR any of the liquid oil that is captured (15,000 barrels per day) NOR the liquid oil that is venting to the ocean.

So now BP admits that they are capturing 35,600 barrels (gas) and 15,000 barrels (oil) = 50,600 barrels gas/oil as it exits the BOP on the seafloor.

Clearly the total VOLUME of the gas and liquid pouring out of the BOP is in excess of 50,000 barrels and probably way more than 100,000 barrels per day. Just the gas they admit they are burning at the surface equals 35,600 barrels per day at the hydrostatic pressure at the BOP 5,000 feet below the ocean surface.

That’s one HELL of a WELL!
And that’s a sh*tload of gas at the BOP.

There mabe somthing to what LOCK said about the acid rain. I live in TAMPA.fl and saturday I brought home my newly painted black 1989 ford ranger from the paint shop and while I was putting the tool box back on it started to rain and after a good downpour the sun came back and dried the water up and I saw water spots that were full of what looked like acid compounds on the paint and I told my WIFE that after living here for 50 years I never saw spots like this before. :cry: :cry:

BP got it over Transocean(TO) huh? They made TO do something they disagreed with, W.T.H were they paying TO engineers for then? Why did TO back down and continue the work.

There was obviously a problem as they both bumped heads over this before it happened. TO had the chance to walk off giving them every chance to avoid any responsibility. They had a chance to walk off and warn the authorities. Id say they were pushed to, "either do the wrong thing" or lose the contract, and money was the deciding factor that made TO continue the work.

Whos hands were on the controlls when this disaster went down, was it BP or TO. BP contracted and required TO for some task. What, to take orders and not use any engineering expertise what-so-ever to avoid such disasters?

The blame game continues and they were both in on this incident.

Read the volcano senario. What a joke, maybe we set an oil rig in our backyards and pump it all over our homes at least its not a volcano. :roll:

IMO they both are responsible and TO knew what was going to go down from my reading. Now its all point the finger crap. I point the finger at both.

AussieJester said:
Just recieved this in an email, i know the oil spill is serious etc but this did make me laugh

KiM

Funny or not it does express the depth of the situation. And that is they have damaged the resources and made a terrible mess of the local communities territory in the gulf.

It makes fun of people who are behind this disaster and I think the video is a good evaluation of the attempts to make things right.

There is more than just this, if you get the documentary called Gasland there are people who cant even drink the water from their taps..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[youtube]dZe1AeH0Qz8[/youtube]

Back